PDA

View Full Version : Chris Wood .. latest !

Turfmoorspirit
15-08-2017, 12:42 AM
Not sure if there was another thread ? delete if need be..http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4790636/Burnley-ready-make-improved-20m-bid-Chris-Wood.html. Seems a bit steep for us:O. I think i would rather have taken a punt on the sandwich toaster..

Altobelli
15-08-2017, 02:06 AM
£20 Million, if BFC pay that they are certainly off their heads.

"Burnley had considered Napoli's Duvan Zapata and Nicolas de Proville of Lille but Dyche prefers players with English league experience". Then be prepared to pay the silly money, in other words get shafted.

Heard from an unreliable source that Woods is only on £8,ooo a week, I don't believe that for one minute. Come on Pulis and the rest get your cheque book out and beat Burnley to the guy.

Turfmoorspirit
15-08-2017, 02:22 AM
Its a tricky one ! imo the breville would be my option. If we have bid 20m for wood as is suggested then that is plenty. I will keep my faith in the Dyche man..

The Bedlington Terrier
15-08-2017, 05:38 AM
Our Board cannot win in the eyes of some people.

They are described as either parsimonious, tight sods or gullible and easy targets and get shafted.

We can't have it all ways guys! :(

SD likes a certain type of player, Wood fits the mould and we have money to burn. Let's be having him?

oldcolner
15-08-2017, 06:14 AM
Heard from an unreliable source that Woods is only on £8,ooo a week, I don't believe that for one minute. Come on Pulis and the rest get your cheque book out and beat Burnley to the guy.

http://www.insidefutbol.com/2017/08/14/leeds-united-under-chris-wood-pay-rise-pressure-as-low-salary-for-burnley-target-claimed/346923/

nutsinmay
15-08-2017, 08:10 AM
I don't think Wood is anything better than what we have.

Saw him in a couple of NZ games in the summer, and his finishing is dire. Fluffed a one-one-one on Saturday as well.

sinkov
15-08-2017, 08:37 AM

They are described as either parsimonious, tight sods or gullible and easy targets and get shafted.

SD likes a certain type of player, Wood fits the mould and we have money to burn. Let's be having him?

Damned if they do, damned if they don't BT, it does seem they can't win. We don't set the market, and if we want to sign players we have to pay the going rate, and sometimes a bit over. I have no worries about Wood, he's a more prolific scorer than any of Walters, Vokes or Barnes, and I've long since stopped worrying that Sean doesn't know what he's doing, he clearly does, and if he wants him, I do too. We haven't done too badly trusting Dyche's judgement so far have we.

I really couldn't care less about the price, £12m, £15m, £20m, doesn't matter much, we have so much money sitting in the bank we literally can't spend it. We run at a profit, we have a turnover of well over £120m, we have a tightly controlled wage budget, and we've just raked in around £40m for Gray and Keane. So what if we pay a couple of million more to get Dyche the player he wants and keep him happy. Money well spent, and our bank manager won't even notice the difference.

1959_60
15-08-2017, 09:53 AM
Amen to all that Sinkov.

I must admit that I was worried before Saturday...but I should have known better.

I will be happier when we strengthen in central defence though. And we will.

1972Claret
15-08-2017, 01:54 PM
I don't think Wood is anything better than what we have.

Saw him in a couple of NZ games in the summer, and his finishing is dire. Fluffed a one-one-one on Saturday as well.

You don't score 27 league goals in a side that doesn't even reach the play-offs if you are a dire finisher. I like Vokes a lot but he has never got near that scoring rate and I doubt Gray could in team performing at a mid-table level. The goals speak for themselves, he would certainly look to be the best goal scorer in the Dyche era.

The Bedlington Terrier
15-08-2017, 02:23 PM
Not sure if we can pull it off but Clucas and Wood added to what we have would do for me!

Talking about pulling it off, we might also try and buy Donzy a centre back!

Altobelli
15-08-2017, 02:37 PM

Its not slagging the Board off, its an opinion, some on here don't think Wood is anything better than what we have, or the one who has just left.

All this in Dyche we trust really gets up my nose, yes a good Manager and all but he's not perfect, far from it, all the players we seem to get, get the "Dyche will progress him onto a better player", what about the players he hasn't, Hennings, Vossen, Darikwa, Chris Long, Marvin Sordell.

And his waste of time loan moves in Bamford and Chabaloa to name 2.

Dyche is on record as saying he'd prefer home grown players as they are familiar to the EPL, and with that he's said prices for our home grown players are over the top, which is fine, so what's the point in having our European Scouts ? If indeed we have any, Foreign players maybe are not used to the EPL, neither are most of newly promoted teams players used to the EPL, Dyche is a Manager/Coach, can he not mold/teach/educate these foreign players to the EPL ? That's a question for all those who say "In Dyche we trust".

"we have money to burn", No we haven't BT, you and a few others have had a go at me for thinking I said throw the kitchen sink at it over the last few years, I never have, as much as we have gained cash wise it can soon be lost, we have to look after it properly, looking at foreign talent is cheaper even if it needs nurturing to EPL standards which Dyche should be able to do but seems reluctant to do.

We are all Burnley fans and want the best for our Club, opinions will differ over many things that we want for the Club, players one poster likes others will not, I like a few more don't think Wood is anything better than what we have, and at £20 Million he's over priced.

The Bedlington Terrier
15-08-2017, 04:05 PM
Ian Butterworth has been brought in exclusively to recruit players from Europe.

The market is fluid and flexible and I just thank the Lord we have the money to do virtually whatever we want.

Wood at £20 million seems bonkers to me but what is a player really worth these days? (The answer of course is what somebody will pay for him)!

I like the idea of Andone from Deportivo and I like the idea of Sam Clucas but again £10 million seems a tad heavy to me for Clucas!

Unlike before, we are now seriously in the game, we are serious players in the transfer market and Mike Garlick has been totally true to his word.

I cannot find any reason other than to be totally bloody cheerful! :D Chelsea 2 v Burnley 3! :D

sinkov
15-08-2017, 04:45 PM
Some interesting names there Alto, and you're right, Sean has signed some right dross. Henning, Vossen, Long, Sordell and you can add Juke to that list as well. But do you seriously think Dyche signed those players thinking they were the answer to all his prayers ? Of course he didn't, he took a punt on them because they were the best he could find with the pittance made available to him by the board. And if you pay peanuts you get monkeys, and that's what we got. Chalobah on loan was another cheap option, we needed cover for midfield, there was no money to buy a serious CM so we ended up taking him on loan at the last minute. You can't really believe he was Dyche's preferred option. Bamford was brought in as cover because Gray was due to be suspended, and there was no knowing how long he would be out. Again I'm sure this was not a road Dyche wanted to go down.

When he was given a bit more to spend he signed Andre Gray, last season he was at last let loose in the transfer market, Defour, Hendrick, Brady, Cork, Taylor, in, instead of the likes of Sordell, Reid, Juke, Long, Henning etc. You can see the difference surely ?

He's not perfect Alto, none of them are, but it's a bit unfair to criticise him for some of his signings, when me and you both know he was being starved of money by the board.

thedonz
15-08-2017, 04:52 PM
Wood fits our wage structure so the player has to be regarded as a realistic target. But a 20 million bid reportedly rejected , oh dear. If true I hope the club move on.

So many reported bids for different strikers now , they can't all be accurate. I'm trusting the club is doing what it normally does and getting deals done quietly away from the media spotlight.

The centre half signing will also come in due course before the end of August .

ClaretinBudapest
15-08-2017, 05:18 PM
I hope they reject any further offers because he is not worth 20m+.End of.

oldcolner
15-08-2017, 07:09 PM
Wood concerned Leeds fee is too high and ruining his PL chances so it's good to cause a bit of discontent

Assume this was written before they turned our offer down!

"But he also knows Leeds have to be realistic in their valuation and not hold out for a fee that is over the top."

Burnley are reportedly not prepared to go above £15m for Wood and are set to make a take-it-or-leave-it offer to Leeds in the next 24 hours.

Sean Dyche is said to be desperate to sign the New Zealand international but will look elsewhere if the Elland Road club continue to play hardball.

Turfmoorspirit
15-08-2017, 07:29 PM
IMO.. We should leave this one now, and persue our interests abroad..
btw,he has just fluffed another after being clean through v fulham..

thedonz
15-08-2017, 09:32 PM
Let's tie up a deal with Shane Long and get it over with.

Unused sub on Saturday. Think
he's in the last year of his contract and question marks whether Southampton will offer him the length of contract he will be looking for , considering his age and what appears to be the phasing out of his playing time there.

Bags of PL experience and a good character by all accounts, last contract started 2014 so surely a new Burnley 3 year contract will do the business and give him a new challenge.

sinkov
15-08-2017, 10:53 PM
The centre half signing will also come in due course before the end of August .

I expect a back up centre half will be signed before the end of August, but Keane's replacement was signed 18 months ago, February 1st, 2016, to be precise.

thedonz
15-08-2017, 11:27 PM
That's a whole different ball game .

Keane himself was only just establishing himself in the first team in Feb 2016 . At that time we were only just beginning our 23 unbeaten run in the Championship and while there were signs he was learning fast, noone could have predicted with assurance that he would go on to become the player he was when he left. I would put it that Tarkowski was signed for the future rather than the replacement for a player still in the early stages of development. It's rarely that simple or as black and white as you have painted it.

Tarkowski is the current first choice and well deserved it is. He , like Keane was, is in the early development stages and fingers crossed it turns out the same. The new central defender needs to be ready to step in if it doesn't, especially if we have any injuries in that position.

I have made it known in the past I do not have the same confidence in Long as some.

Altobelli
16-08-2017, 12:56 AM
Some interesting names there Alto, and you're right, Sean has signed some right dross. Henning, Vossen, Long, Sordell and you can add Juke to that list as well. But do you seriously think Dyche signed those players thinking they were the answer to all his prayers ? Of course he didn't, he took a punt on them because they were the best he could find with the pittance made available to him by the board. And if you pay peanuts you get monkeys, and that's what we got. Chalobah on loan was another cheap option, we needed cover for midfield, there was no money to buy a serious CM so we ended up taking him on loan at the last minute. You can't really believe he was Dyche's preferred option. Bamford was brought in as cover because Gray was due to be suspended, and there was no knowing how long he would be out. Again I'm sure this was not a road Dyche wanted to go down.

When he was given a bit more to spend he signed Andre Gray, last season he was at last let loose in the transfer market, Defour, Hendrick, Brady, Cork, Taylor, in, instead of the likes of Sordell, Reid, Juke, Long, Henning etc. You can see the difference surely ?

He's not perfect Alto, none of them are, but it's a bit unfair to criticise him for some of his signings, when me and you both know he was being starved of money by the board.

Starved of money being the operative word Sinkov.

I hold my hand up as you are right with some of them, also I cannot remember who was available at the time, but Bamford and Chaby was a mistake which again goes down to starved of money again.

sinkov
16-08-2017, 11:12 AM
That's a whole different ball game .

Keane himself was only just establishing himself in the first team in Feb 2016 . At that time we were only just beginning our 23 unbeaten run in the Championship and while there were signs he was learning fast, noone could have predicted with assurance that he would go on to become the player he was when he left. I would put it that Tarkowski was signed for the future rather than the replacement for a player still in the early stages of development. It's rarely that simple or as black and white as you have painted it.

Tarkowski is the current first choice and well deserved it is. He , like Keane was, is in the early development stages and fingers crossed it turns out the same. The new central defender needs to be ready to step in if it doesn't, especially if we have any injuries in that position.

I have made it known in the past I do not have the same confidence in Long as some.

You put your finger right on it Donz when you say he was signed for the future, he was, and that future arrived when we sold Keane to Everton. I agree we need better than Long as back up, although I'm happy enough with Tarko, I accept he's unproven as yet and if it all goes wrong for him or there are injuries, I'd be worried if Long and Taylor are all we have. I don't see us signing an experienced PL class centre half guaranteed to cement our defence, simply because there isn't one out there who would accept our wage structure, the best we can hope for is another youngish prospect like Tarko, who can sit on the bench, get the odd game, and bide his time like he did until his time comes.

The Bedlington Terrier
16-08-2017, 11:58 AM
We have Mr Anderson...

thedonz
16-08-2017, 12:03 PM
So you keep saying BT 😂

sinkov
16-08-2017, 12:32 PM
We have Mr Anderson...

I saw him on TV at Stamford Bridge, he was sat behind the benches with I think Agyei. Sadly for Tom, I expect that's as close to the pitch as he'll be getting for us in the PL this season.

Be interesting to see if he's picked for Ewood, a back 4 of Bardsley, Anderson, Long, Taylor is feasible, but if he doesn't get a start in this game then he's clearly not on Sean's radar.

oldcolner
18-08-2017, 12:06 PM
Leeds offer him a contract extension - if he turns it down they'll know where they stand and we have a stronger hand ...if we still want him.
http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/08/18/report-leeds-united-offer-chris-wood-a-contract-extension/

sinkov
18-08-2017, 12:32 PM
According to Nixon a few minutes ago, we're still in for him. If we've been knocked back at £15m I can only assume we're going to go to £20m, which you'd think would get the deal done. You just never know though, it's a madhouse out there.

oldcolner
18-08-2017, 12:37 PM
May help that he won't sign the extension and wants to come to Burnley

But the New Zealand striker has set his heart on joining the Clarets and will keep Leeds waiting in the hope the Premier League outfit make a second bid for him.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/638435/Chris-Wood-Leeds-Contract-Extension-Reject-Exclusive

The Bedlington Terrier
18-08-2017, 02:43 PM
Stop fretting, Wood is coming to the Turf!

I am so confident, I have already booked the...

Altobelli
18-08-2017, 02:54 PM
Would you stick those Taxis where the sun don't shine please, especially in regards to that dod of Wood.

Turfmoorspirit
18-08-2017, 03:03 PM
Would you stick those Taxis where the sun don't shine please, especially in regards to that dod of Wood. Oh dear !:D:D

The Bedlington Terrier
18-08-2017, 03:10 PM
Would you stick those Taxis where the sun don't shine please, especially in regards to that dod of Wood.

They keep on turning up though Alto.

Trust in that TEC chap, he knows what he is talking about! :D

sinkov
18-08-2017, 03:13 PM
Stop fretting, Wood is coming to the Turf!

I am so confident, I have already booked the...

Is this the one that went down to Nottingham to pick Asso up ?

oldcolner
18-08-2017, 03:29 PM
Burnley are confident of completing a £15m swoop plus add-ons for Wood before the start of next week, in what would be a new club-record deal for Sean Dyche’s side.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/burnley-set-land-leeds-star-11010337

The Bedlington Terrier
18-08-2017, 03:40 PM
Is this the one that went down to Nottingham to pick Asso up ?

It is indeed sinkov but when SD discovered young Britt had stopped off twice on the Motorway services to "refuel" with a Big Mac and a KFC, he decided to send him on his way to Teesside.

In Dyche We Trust
18-08-2017, 04:44 PM
he cant be worth £20m- max is £15 surely- if we pay more we have been mugged in broad day light

thedonz
18-08-2017, 05:15 PM
Would we sign Wood with Long on his way?

Altobelli
18-08-2017, 06:25 PM
Apparently Andone is one of the 5 Irons in the fire according to Boden.

Turfmoorspirit
18-08-2017, 06:39 PM
Apparently Andone is one of the 5 Irons in the fire according to Boden. That is one i would like to happen ..