PDA

View Full Version : Gareth Barry

Whicka_Mon
15-08-2017, 09:32 AM
Sorry folks. I can't see any positives in this signing. Experience is one thing but being over the hill is another. How is this bringing the age of the squad down? Fresh legs really?
I bet Mozza and Brunt are thinking "We've got a job for life here".

mickd1961
15-08-2017, 09:43 AM
I have two words to say on this subject......"Andy Townsend"....!!!

Johnny on the spot 1
15-08-2017, 09:46 AM
Sorry folks. I can't see any positives in this signing. Experience is one thing but being over the hill is another. How is this bringing the age of the squad down? Fresh legs really?
I bet Mozza and Brunt are thinking "We've got a job for life here".

Im thinking the same Whicka , @ 36 years of age "experience" nar not for me we have Brunt & Morrison who have loads of experience just another rusty nail ,

soulman101
15-08-2017, 09:49 AM
Could sit out a good 2 year contract at Everton,but's wants to play got to be a positive.
Judge him when he pulls on the shirt.

Brombo97
15-08-2017, 10:07 AM
Too old, undeniably too old. What happened to the wide felt need for pace, for youth, for skill on the ball? We need a more modern, more enterprising, more aware head coach and dare I say it a braver head coach. ASAP!

brockmoorbaggie
15-08-2017, 10:50 AM
Come on, where are the Pulis happy clappers?
Pick the positives out of this.
Four or five players in by last weekend, we end up with Gareth Barry the following Tuesday ffs.
It's like waiting all year for Santa to bring you a X-Box and you get a Commodore Vic 20.
Barry in, Chadli out (no doubt).
'Pulis seeking reinforcements' they say!

mickd1961
15-08-2017, 11:05 AM
Come on, where are the Pulis happy clappers?
Pick the positives out of this.
Four or five players in by last weekend, we end up with Gareth Barry the following Tuesday ffs.
It's like waiting all year for Santa to bring you a X-Box and you get a Commodore Vic 20.
Barry in, Chadli out (no doubt).
'Pulis seeking reinforcements' they say!

Welcome back Neil.

All we need now is "Oldham" and "Carolgees" and we can start the party!!

Whicka_Mon
15-08-2017, 11:27 AM
Could sit out a good 2 year contract at Everton,but's wants to play got to be a positive.
Judge him when he pulls on the shirt.
I'm not judging him mate. I'm judging our manager and recruitment staff for wanting to sign him. No doubt he is a smashing lad.

WBA123
15-08-2017, 11:42 AM
I've got mixed feelings on it,

On one hand Pulis has spoken about lowering the average age of the squad and then brings in a 37 year old.

But on the other, he'll slot into our system in defensive midfield and won't need to rely on pace so much there. We've got a threadbare squad which he will add to. I've heard he's a top professional so he'd be a perfect example for Field and Harper to learn from. And when the time comes to hang up his boots, he might fancy his hand at coaching or managing the youth team. So he could give us something back from that respect.

So all in all, there are more positives than negatives to sign him for me.

Give him a chance!

Palmeras
15-08-2017, 12:01 PM
West ham get carvalho we get Barry says it all really what a joke

Whicka_Mon
15-08-2017, 12:05 PM

On one hand Pulis has spoken about lowering the average age of the squad and then brings in a 37 year old.

But on the other, he'll slot into our system in defensive midfield and won't need to rely on pace so much there. We've got a threadbare squad which he will add to. I've heard he's a top professional so he'd be a perfect example for Field and Harper to learn from. And when the time comes to hang up his boots, he might fancy his hand at coaching or managing the youth team. So he could give us something back from that respect.

Give him a chance!

The threadbare squad had three full internationals on the bench Saturday. All Pulis signings. Who clearly haven't improved the first team. If they had they would have been playing. He won't play him as a defensive midfielder though. He will keep Yacob in and drop Field. Lets face it though Barry won't have to run far just across our own 18 yard line.

brockmoorbaggie
15-08-2017, 12:05 PM

Give him a chance!

May be that's it.

They bringing him in to do coaching or managing.......
the 'walking' football team that is.

He can start straight away.

They're a clever bunch up the Baggies you know!

Leicesterbaggie
15-08-2017, 12:14 PM
Yes, he's getting on a bit but he can also play a bit as well. If we get a couple of good seasons out of him then it will have been worthwhile. I rate him. I will agree though,we do need to bring in some young legs with experience.

BaggieBlood
15-08-2017, 01:06 PM
Good luck to him if he signs.

Would have preferred McCarthy, but they want a stupid £25m for him.

Surprised everton want a £1m fee, given they got him for free and his age.

After Gmac, I'm not writing him off just because of his age.

To date he has a great injury record, so hopefully no issues there.

Joy_Division
15-08-2017, 01:12 PM
If we end up replacing the gap left by Fletcher by introducing Barry then I for one will be quite happy with the change. Pace wise its probably like for like. Tackling wise Barry shades it and passing wise he is far superior than Fletcher. So although its nowhere near the exciting signings we want, if he is one of the five Pulis reckons we need then I am ok with it as long as a couple of the remaining four are younger and quality signings.

Yarmbaggie
15-08-2017, 01:31 PM
I have to say as with any West Brom signing I will always give them total support.

Am I happy about the signing, no. Do I think it is a priority signing, no. Can I see any positives, not really, except maybe I think he played a few games at left back for Everton last year!! He possibly is a better bet that Fletcher who he will surely replace.

For me we still need the 5 signings that TP mentioned. I certainly hope this isn't one of the 5 signings but I suspect it will be. Nervy 2 weeks to go until the window closes. Let's hope the other signings are more long term.

We need pace in every part of the field and I cannot see Gareth Barry providing us with any. That said if he does sign, I wish him every success at the club and hopefully he can finish off a great career with a trophy and some great performances for the Baggies.

saltnshake
15-08-2017, 02:05 PM
Barry is a better player than Fletcher and Yacob and will allow either Harper or Field to go and get some valuable experience and he can also play left back, as we refuse to pay the going rate for players Barry is the type of signing we are going to continue to sign.

boingy
15-08-2017, 03:18 PM
Good luck to him if he signs.

Would have preferred McCarthy, but they want a stupid £25m for him.

Surprised everton want a £1m fee, given they got him for free and his age.

After Gmac, I'm not writing him off just because of his age.

To date he has a great injury record, so hopefully no issues there.

Totally with you Baggieblood, How can any of us say he's too old when we love Gmac to bits and dont ever hold his age against him? We do need younger players, but there's nothing wrong with experienced players in the prem. I love Leko but if we had a team of leko's we would never make that last telling pass...why? because like a lot of youngsters he lacks experience, the experience to not just think about himself but to make the best decision at the right time. I would like to see some more signings now and yes younger ones but dont decry experience.

soulman101
15-08-2017, 03:44 PM
Everton fans rate him. http://lebuzz.eurosport.co.uk/viral/best-tweets-west-brom-fans-enjoy-gareth-barry-hes-player-31031/

ImTopMan
15-08-2017, 04:30 PM
West ham get carvalho we get Barry says it all really what a joke

What do you expect? West Ham are a Bigger Club than you and have the advantage of being from London where most players want to play.

Barry would be an excellent signing. I can't believe the Scousers are willing to let him go.

Leicesterbaggie
15-08-2017, 04:44 PM
What do you expect? West Ham are a Bigger Club than you and have the advantage of being from London where most players want to play.

Barry would be an excellent signing. I can't believe the Scousers are willing to let him go.

Why are they a bigger club?

Joy_Division
15-08-2017, 04:58 PM
Also, wasn't Johnny Giles about 36 when he came to us. No pace whatsoever but got the odd good tackle in and passed the ball like a dream. We were all gutted when he decided to hang up his boots. Give Barry a chance. As I said earlier, as long as a couple of the other potential signings are younger, pacier etc then I think its a decent move.

Palmeras
15-08-2017, 05:23 PM

Are you having a laugh he's an old man

Prando
15-08-2017, 05:26 PM
He'll get my support and I hope he performs at the top of his ability.
I'm happy to give him a chance.

goodlordmurphy
15-08-2017, 05:49 PM
He'll get my support and I hope he performs at the top of his ability.
I'm happy to give him a chance.

Nobody would expect anything else from the gentleman that you are Prando...

Whicka_Mon
15-08-2017, 06:37 PM
We've got no choice to support him or give him a chance. But then again it is not him who I have a problem with. This is a here and now signing. No planning for the future. We cannot build a team round him.
If any signing sums Pulis up this is it. Says one thing then does another. Just waiting for the Marc Wilson signing now.

wbaliquidator
15-08-2017, 06:41 PM
A very reliable solid player in my opinion and I’ll be glad if he signs. These are the types of players who keep you in the top division. Don’t think I’ve ever seen him have a bad game to be honest.

WBA53
15-08-2017, 07:03 PM
Wm just comfirmed he has signed a one year deal

Dubbag
15-08-2017, 07:14 PM
If so welcome to our new midfield engine......

boingy
15-08-2017, 08:17 PM

Bigger club? On what basis?

Leicesterbaggie
15-08-2017, 08:51 PM
Same question as I asked boingy, but as yet, no reply.

WBA1955
15-08-2017, 09:06 PM
Honours,age,'history,years'spent'in'the'top'flight ,record'gates,founder'members'of'the'football'leag ue.Well'it's'none'of'those.
He'is'right'about'theLondon'connection'though'and' the'appeal.'of'living/playing'in'the'capital.
Most'of'the'fans'though'are'glory'hunting'tourists .

baggieal
15-08-2017, 09:24 PM
If we end up replacing the gap left by Fletcher by introducing Barry then I for one will be quite happy with the change. Pace wise its probably like for like. Tackling wise Barry shades it and passing wise he is far superior than Fletcher. So although its nowhere near the exciting signings we want, if he is one of the five Pulis reckons we need then I am ok with it as long as a couple of the remaining four are younger and quality signings.

Agree with all this. For me Barry is better than Fletcher as in the last three months Fletcher's legs went and he went missing. Field has great potential but too light weight and needs loaning out. Fletcher, Barry or Field - for me Barry every time - short term of course!!!

The Minn Junta
15-08-2017, 09:42 PM
I asked my Everton season ticket holding mate, what's the craic then? Would you be p155ed off to lose him, he said he'd be happy to see him stay but doesn't want to see him starting anymore, I asked have his legs gone? he said yes, prettty much, other than that he described him as being a 'winner' and a good bloke to have around.

One year contract, it's not the end of the world is it? Let's back him and see.

ImTopMan
15-08-2017, 10:13 PM
Why are they a bigger club?

2016/17 average attendances.

West Ham 56,972.

West Brom 23,876.

The Hammers are clearly a bigger name club. And have won a European trophy in it's history which you can't boast.

WBA53
15-08-2017, 10:16 PM

West Ham 56,972.

West Brom 23,876.

The Hammers are clearly a bigger name club. And have won a European trophy in it's history which you can't boast.
arr,and don't forget about you winning the world cup for England too in 66.bugga off

mickd1961
15-08-2017, 10:36 PM
arr,and don't forget about you winning the world cup for England too in 66.bugga off

Dildo Anal Beads United used to be a classy outfit until Mary Millington's midget pimp got involved.

baggieal
16-08-2017, 03:02 AM

West Ham 56,972.

West Brom 23,876.

Is that 56,000 **** Mags by the crooked duo? Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea laugh at Wet Spam as being the nearly club in London! The old ground was sold so the **** duos would even sell their mothers!

Albionic68
16-08-2017, 05:05 AM
Welcome to the Albion Gareth.

Whicka_Mon
16-08-2017, 06:19 AM

West Ham 56,972.

West Brom 23,876.

Never been champions of England. Never will.
WHU have nothing. No ground. Nothing. Just playing staff which when it goes tits up will run. Which leaves them with zilch. No assets. Coventry City waiting to happen.
And they only have one song.

Leicesterbaggie
16-08-2017, 09:36 AM

West Ham 56,972.

West Brom 23,876.

So that's what makes them a bigger club, the fact that they have a bigger stadium built with other people's money. What about on the field achievements? Except for that ONE European trophy, compared to us, not a lot! We have a richer and greater history than they can ever hope to achieve.

splinter
16-08-2017, 11:55 AM
I bet Mozza and Brunt are thinking "We've got a job for life here". Johnny Giles was 34when he signed for the Albion and it was a different fitness level then.

WBA123
16-08-2017, 12:01 PM
So that's what makes them a bigger club, the fact that they have a bigger stadium built with other people's money. What about on the field achievements? Except for that ONE European trophy, compared to us, not a lot! We have a richer and greater history than they can ever hope to achieve.

Regardless of the 'big club' debate. You have to say, even with my West Brom hat on, that West Ham are a bigger appeal to virtually all players. They pay more, they have a stadium twice the size and gate of ours and they've got the London factor. If you were a foreign player with no ties to either club, you'd pick them every time.

ImTopMan
16-08-2017, 12:02 PM
A nothing club like WBA bigger than WHU?? hahaha

You lot couldn't get average crowds of 56,000 even if they gave tickets away.

There's plenty of money in London. We keep you lot in your Giros. Be grateful.

Leicesterbaggie
16-08-2017, 01:02 PM

I will reiterate my statement that having a larger stadium, paid for by others, does not make you a bigger club. Leicester City's ground doesn't hold the number that West Ham does but they've just won the Premiership. Who, then, is the bigger club? West Ham have not been in the top division for half the time that Albion have. Yes, they are a London club and that may attract players but that doesn't make them a bigger club. It's what you do on the pitch that counts and West Ham have done very little. Historically, if you take success as a yard stick I don't think that they come in the top twenty. No matter what criteria is used we come between 10th. and 12th.

What a disrespectful final comment you make. Just because you live in London club you think you're a cut above the rest. Pathetic! By the way I don't rely on you paying my giro, I'm a retired teacher.

curlybaggie
16-08-2017, 01:52 PM

And Londoners wonder why the rest of the country hates them. Arrogant git.

Whicka_Mon
16-08-2017, 02:16 PM

Your club is virtually giving season tickets away. Just to the tramps who can't afford to go to big clubs like Spurs and Arsenal.
At least we can compete with our neighbours.
This nothing club is a founder member. It was kicking balls around long before you lot. In your entire history you have never been the best team in England. We have.
Got some catching up to do haven't ya.
Not even the biggest club in London.

OptimisticBaggie
16-08-2017, 02:51 PM
In terms of history WHU is no bigger than us and I would fancy our first 11 against theirs. But the perception of outsiders will be that Wet spam is the more attractive club due to them being in London & having a nice big stadium (that they were practically given for free).

WBA1955
16-08-2017, 03:31 PM
Even'Warren'Mitchell'was'really'a'Spurs'fan.:P
Once'Spurs'open'their'new'ground'they'will'get'60, 000'the'same'as'Arsenal.Seems'like'Londoners'like' to'admire'buildings.
Spurs'and'Arsenal'have'always'been'big'clubs'thoug h,always'winning'things.
Chelsea'were'nothing'special'before'the'Russians'm oney.
West'Ham':D'a'rich'Eastenders'Millwall.

ImTopMan
16-08-2017, 07:31 PM
The difference between both clubs is that West Ham regularly make the back pages.

West Brom rarely make any pages.

Whicka_Mon
16-08-2017, 07:48 PM
The difference between both clubs is that West Ham regularly make the back pages.

Hahahaha. Are you about 10 years old? Nothing to do with the fact that Bint Brady writes for the Sun is it? Grasping at straws aren't you.
Listen mate West Ham London Olympic or whatever they're called hold no significance or respect from any other club or it's supporters. Now if you don't mind do wan

mickd1961
16-08-2017, 07:55 PM

Come back and crow when you own your own ground.

For a supposedly quite big club you do enjoy regular relegation parties unlike the truly big clubs darn Sarf like Spurs,Arsenal and Chelsea.

No wonder they all laugh at you.

Whicka_Mon
16-08-2017, 08:07 PM
Their owner is a 70's **** star's dildo who dresses up like a Russian midget.

BaggieBlood
16-08-2017, 08:10 PM
There so called ground?

A ground where Athletics took precedence and their "home " games were put back to accommodate Usain bolt and Co.

Nothing club, which has always had delusions of grandeur which has had more success on the silver screen with films like green Street than on the pitch.

Now as one of your own ray Winstone said in the sweeney "f@ck off you sl@g".

BaggieBlood
16-08-2017, 08:18 PM
That **** mag merchant p Rick thinks he's in the polit bureau, he must have thought those missiles in those Moscow demonstrations of military power were dildos.

The ars whole wears that stupid hat in all weathers. I'm sure his Sunday sport had a headline where he wearing it on a Spanish beach walking hand in hand with Trevor brooking with Tony cottee on his shoulders.

Whicka_Mon
16-08-2017, 08:49 PM
To be fair to em their supporters are role models for fire evacuation drills. The speed in which 5,000 left the Smethwick end in that cup tie was only surpassed by the speed they left their own rented home during those Man City games last season.

Q165
16-08-2017, 09:03 PM
Just logged on for the latest news. Barry here. Can't get excited but what do I know? And Evans wanted elsewhere. Bummer.

saltnshake
17-08-2017, 03:32 AM
Have we brought Barry in because we knew Man City were going to bid for Evans? and the likelihood he will leave.

holmleighchris
17-08-2017, 05:53 AM
There is another big problem with WHU: Claret & spew.

Leicesterbaggie
17-08-2017, 02:33 PM
Interestingly enough I've just been looking at the record attendances for all Premier League clubs and guess what? We are 10th. and West Ham 18th., 4,000 behind us. That's including their new stadium! Even using that criteria, which their fans seem to judge a club by, they're behind us.

Dubbag
17-08-2017, 02:36 PM
Have we brought Barry in because we knew Man City were going to bid for Evans? and the likelihood he will leave.

I think he is Fletcher's replacement....give or take a few years....He seems fit and eager....but just think for midfield...a bit iffy....

boingy
17-08-2017, 03:24 PM

West Ham 56,972.

West Brom 23,876.

So you have 2 stats. Sorry that dont impressa me much. Every club has stats better than other clubs. If you take the history of football I think you will find we are up with the best of them.
Oh and wait! we have a better record home attendance than West ham !
https://talksport.com/football/record-home-attendances-english-league-football-top-30-clubs-revealed-170817250827?p=18

SwedishBaggie
19-08-2017, 03:01 PM
I think he is Fletcher's replacement....give or take a few years....He seems fit and eager....but just think for midfield...a bit iffy....

Agreed DB, a replacement for Fletcher. Judging by last season, a good replacement, much better then Fletcher was imo.

boingy
19-08-2017, 05:30 PM
Good game from Gareth Barry today.

Albionmad
19-08-2017, 05:42 PM

West Ham are a bunch of spivs run by a couple of dirty old pimps who make money out of young girls.

Your club is classless.

The way you've treated some of your old players and the manner in which you've sacked some of your managers says everything anybody needs to know.

You're a bunch of cockney wide boys who somehow think they should be up there with the big clubs but never are.

You wonder why everybody hates you. Now you know.

baggieal
19-08-2017, 08:34 PM
Good game from Gareth Barry today.

Was not good boingy - it was excellent!

ImTopMan
22-08-2017, 11:57 AM
So you have 2 stats. Sorry that dont impressa me much. Every club has stats better than other clubs. If you take the history of football I think you will find we are up with the best of them.
Oh and wait! we have a better record home attendance than West ham !
https://talksport.com/football/record-home-attendances-english-league-football-top-30-clubs-revealed-170817250827?p=18

Just one league title don't impress me much either.

Oh and using stuff off the Talksport site? Well numpty check this off the same site.

Top 30 biggest clubs in Britain ranked.

West Brom 16th

West Ham 10th.

Unlucky.

https://talksport.com/football/top-30-biggest-football-clubs-britain-30-number-one-ranked-161224221224?p=0

Leicesterbaggie
22-08-2017, 12:08 PM
[QUOTE=ImTopMan;38630017]Just one league title don't impress me much either.

Oh and using stuff off the Talksport site? Well numpty check this off the same site.

West Brom 16th

West Ham 10th.

Unlucky.

https://talksport.com/football/top-30-biggest-football-clubs-britain-30-number-one-ranked-161224221224?p=0[/QUOTE

I'd be very interested to know what criteria they used. It certainly can't be anything to do with success in the game. Any tables that I have seen have West Ham always behind Albion.

BaggieBlood
22-08-2017, 12:15 PM
One's better than none.

Fact is you're team is a tenant in a ground you can play in subject to an Athletics tournament.

I still remember stevie g breaking those jam tarts in that fa cup final.

Cor blimey guvnor I bet you couldn't Adam and Eve when that rocket hit the pocket.

You had to cancel your knees up mother brown and jellied eels.

You seem to like your history though. So do you know what happened to your team in 1966?

And before, you say it, it's not your dog s hit club claiming to win the world cup.

talkSAFT
22-08-2017, 03:07 PM
All-time League placings upto 2017

No consideration is given to points accumulated, games won, or goals scored.
Based purely on League position since The Football League's inauguration (1888) these are the top 40 Clubs.

The League champions are awarded 92 League pts,
whilst the bottom team in League 2 are awarded 1 League point.

(Between 1924 and 1950, there were only 88 Clubs in the League,
and so the League champions gained 88 League pts.
Between 1888 (12 Clubs) and 1923 (86 Clubs) there were varying
nos of League members. The Champs get 12 pts (for example) for
winning the 1888-89 season,
When there were 2 Division 3s (North & South), the winners would have
each received 49 pts, whilst the runners-up both got 47.)

1 Liverpool 8,203
2 Arsenal 8,153
3 Everton 8,067
4 Manchester United 7,987
5 Aston Villa 7,847
6 Manchester City 7,571
7 Newcastle United 7,517
8 Tottenham Hotspur 7,396
9 Sunderland 7,387
10 Chelsea 7,356
11 West Bromwich Albion 7,118
12 Blackburn Rovers 6,908
13 Derby County 6,817
14 Wolverhampton Wanderers 6,742
15 Sheffield Wednesday 6,739
16 Middlesbrough 6,705
17 Bolton Wanderers 6,697
18 Sheffield United 6,620
19 West Ham United 6,595
20 Birmingham City 6,584
21 Leicester City 6,545
22 Nottingham Forest 6,529
23 Leeds United 6,505
24 Stoke City 6,421
25 Burnley 6,044
26 Southampton 5,953
27 Preston North End 5,668
28 Portsmouth 5,380
29 Fulham 5,310
30 Huddersfield Town 5,276
31 Charlton Athletic 5,240
32 Blackpool 5,095
33 Coventry City 5,068
34 Norwich City 4,900
35 Queens Park Rangers 4,734
36 Ipswich Town 4,713
37 Cardiff City 4,544
38 Crystal Palace 4,537
39 Bristol City 4,406
40 Barnsley 4,343

We're 523 pts above the Cockneys. To put that into perspective, they need to finish a full 20 places above us for the next 26 years before I would consider calling them a bigger Club, and both TopMan and myself will probably be Uncle Ned by then.

soulman101
22-08-2017, 03:49 PM
Just one league title don't impress me much either.

West Brom 16th

West Ham 10th.

Unlucky.

https://talksport.com/football/top-30-biggest-football-clubs-britain-30-number-one-ranked-161224221224?p=0
The night we gave your so called world champions a football lesson, to win the League cup 66
I was there could have been 10.
Big club my arse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PTH5d6C1kM

Whicka_Mon
22-08-2017, 04:31 PM
[QUOTE=ImTopMan;38630017]Just one league title don't impress me much either.

West Brom 16th

West Ham 10th.

Unlucky.

https://talksport.com/football/top-30-biggest-football-clubs-britain-30-number-one-ranked-161224221224?p=0[/QUOTE

I'd be very interested to know what criteria they used. It certainly can't be anything to do with success in the game. Any tables that I have seen have West Ham always behind Albion.

How abart this for a stat my old China
WBA Champions of England 1
West Ham United Champions Of England 0

Never in the history of our Football Club has our home games been delayed to let a Somalian run round our pitch.

Legends in your own lunch time you lot.

holmleighchris
22-08-2017, 04:45 PM

Based purely on League position since The Football League's inauguration (1888) these are the top 40 Clubs.

1 Liverpool 8,203
2 Arsenal 8,153
3 Everton 8,067
5 Aston Villa 7,847
6 Manchester City 7,571
7 Newcastle United 7,517
9 Sunderland 7,387
10 Chelsea 7,356
13 Derby County 6,817
16 Middlesbrough 6,705
19 West Ham United 6,595
20 Birmingham City 6,584
21 Leicester City 6,545
23 Leeds United 6,505
24 Stoke City 6,421
25 Burnley 6,044
26 Southampton 5,953
28 Portsmouth 5,380
29 Fulham 5,310
32 Blackpool 5,095
33 Coventry City 5,068
34 Norwich City 4,900
36 Ipswich Town 4,713
37 Cardiff City 4,544
38 Crystal Palace 4,537
39 Bristol City 4,406
40 Barnsley 4,343

We're 523 pts above the Cockneys. To put that into perspective, they need to finish a full 20 places above us for the next 26 years before I would consider calling them a bigger Club, and both TopMan and myself will probably be Uncle Ned by then.

If they pull this off Talksaft I doubt I'll be around to worry about it :D Also 2 of the goals that won the World Cup were iffy. One didn't cross the line, the other there were people on the pitch and the game should have been stopped. Spammers didn't win us the World Cup, the ref did!

WBA1955
22-08-2017, 05:03 PM
West'Ham's'highest'ever'finish'is'3rd.Wow
Even'with'Moore,Peters'and'Hurst'they'usually'fini shed'below'us
They'are'a'big'club'in'the'East'End'mind

Exiledvillan
22-08-2017, 06:19 PM

1 Liverpool 8,203
2 Arsenal 8,153
3 Everton 8,067
5 Aston Villa 7,847
6 Manchester City 7,571
7 Newcastle United 7,517
9 Sunderland 7,387
10 Chelsea 7,356
13 Derby County 6,817
16 Middlesbrough 6,705
19 West Ham United 6,595
20 Birmingham City 6,584
21 Leicester City 6,545
23 Leeds United 6,505
24 Stoke City 6,421
25 Burnley 6,044
26 Southampton 5,953
28 Portsmouth 5,380
29 Fulham 5,310
32 Blackpool 5,095
33 Coventry City 5,068
34 Norwich City 4,900
36 Ipswich Town 4,713
37 Cardiff City 4,544
38 Crystal Palace 4,537
39 Bristol City 4,406
40 Barnsley 4,343

:D :D :D Fair play to you talkSAFT, where dya pull that haymaker from, end of discussion.
Surprised man utd were so low and how high the Villa are considering our league form between 1936 - mid 70s. Also how high the cartoon army are, considering how sh1te they’ve been all my life (53 years).

Back on topic Re. Barry, he started with us as a LB/CH. I always thought he would end up as sitting in front of the back 4. He’ll do well for you but expect a few red/yellow cards; think he holds the record. Not really because of his age, he’s just never been able to resist the ‘impossible’ tackle. He never had pace in the first place so he aint lost a yard, but has a wand of a left foot. Brunt, Barry and McClean, that’s your left side sorted, if you can cope with the inevitable suspensions in all 3 positions.
Shrewd signing for a season free.

Yarmbaggie
22-08-2017, 06:40 PM
Am I being thick here? We were one of the founder members of the Football league in 1888. West Ham didn't join until 1919 according to Wicki. In other words we had 31 years more to get points in this league table at a time when there were not that many clubs anyway?
That said, even if I am being thick, we are a great club with a fantastic heritage, founder members of the FL and West Ham cannot compare with that, even if they did win the World Cup on their own!!! (Joke - or is that Bishop Auckland, another big club).

talkSAFT
23-08-2017, 07:27 AM
:D :D :D Fair play to you talkSAFT, where dya pull that haymaker from, end of discussion.
Surprised man utd were so low and how high the Villa are considering our league form between 1936 - mid 70s. Also how high the cartoon army are, considering how sh1te they’ve been all my life (53 years).

I pulled all the data from a Football League website a few years ago, and I update it every May. It's quite easy using Excel, and taking account of name-changes etc.
Yarmbaggie's right: we do have a fair few years start, but I did say it was The All-Time League Placings, so it's West Ham's fault they were probably playing in the Walford and District League while we were trailblazing in the national League.
Don't forget, though, that the League Winners of 1888 (PNE) only get 12 pts - and we get 6 (it all depends on how many Clubs in the League). This is all to show no bias - I could have given us 86 pts that Year!

ImTopMan
24-08-2017, 10:38 PM
West'Ham's'highest'ever'finish'is'3rd.Wow
Even'with'Moore,Peters'and'Hurst'they'usually'fini shed'below'us
They'are'a'big'club'in'the'East'End'mind

You're very much allowed to put a gap in between each word you know.

Q165
25-08-2017, 12:07 AM
I admit to not having read much at all of this thread but noticed the Hammers being mentioned. They are only a big club in the minds of most residents of east London and Es***, where a great majority of their fans come from. I know many Es*** based fans who readily admit to supporting two teams e.g West Ham and Southend. Even east Londoners supporting Orient and West Ham. It is a very strange set of affairs. Anyway, many of their fans have inflated opinion of the club's status and relevance. Please excuse any typos as I am pi55ed.