PDA

View Full Version : Chris , you have got some work to do...............

wavy_blade
15-08-2017, 08:43 PM
He will turn us around early days yet , but its obvious were not scoring enough , Brooks And Ched have to start on sat against dingles , we really need to win on Sat . Home form will be key to surviving and progressing in this league .

FatherKnowsBest
15-08-2017, 08:50 PM
He will turn us around early days yet , but its obvious were not scoring enough , Brooks And Ched have to start on sat against dingles , we really need to win on Sat . Home form will be key to surviving and progressing in this league .

Our shortcomings are a bit more obvious than I thought they might be, but we've just narrowly lost to the top and 4th place, both away. Not time to lose hope yet. We wont be tested quite so severely every week.

Blade for Life
15-08-2017, 09:27 PM
He will turn us around early days yet , but its obvious were not scoring enough , Brooks And Ched have to start on sat against dingles , we really need to win on Sat . Home form will be key to surviving and progressing in this league . Agree re Ched and Brooks they provide a threat that we are lacking. Still played 2 of the best teams in this division and have not been embarrassed. Wilder will get this right.

AceOfBlades
15-08-2017, 09:27 PM
1 goal and not many more chances in 3 games, not sure the cb and dm should top the priority lists.

there's gonna be a fair few long afternoons this season, the gap between where we were and the top half of this league is huge.

we just need to make sure we haven't forgot how to create and score when we play the lesser teams

CHIPBUTTYBLADE
15-08-2017, 09:40 PM
Physicality and pace is lacking in our team,how that will be sorted i dunno.

GrayBlade
15-08-2017, 10:03 PM
Think we said something similar this time last year.

CHIPBUTTYBLADE
15-08-2017, 10:23 PM
Think we said something similar this time last year.

It was worse last year,we all had great expectations Gray and rightly so,but we knew all the ingredients for winning were there in the team.

This season it is becoming apparent that we are lacking some ingredients,those ingredients need to be purchased if we are to progress.

I would say Aston Villa are in the same boat that we were last season.

rodcurrie
16-08-2017, 07:12 AM
Agree re Ched and Brooks they provide a threat that we are lacking. Still played 2 of the best teams in this division and have not been embarrassed. Wilder will get this right.I think Ched could well start on Saturday but don't forget when him&Brooksy come on as subs they playin against tirin defenders.I'm a big fan of Brooksy but i don't think our fans should put him under too pressure,i reckon bring him on wi 25mins or so to go and ease him into first team action.The need for a new centre half has grown wi Stearman's injury but Tufty knows what's needed.UTCB

U-F-O
16-08-2017, 07:53 AM
1 goal and not many more chances in 3 games, not sure the cb and dm should top the priority lists.

there's gonna be a fair few long afternoons this season, the gap between where we were and the top half of this league is huge.

we just need to make sure we haven't forgot how to create and score when we play the lesser teams

1 goal 2 disallowed V Brentford
1 disallowed & goalie making a couple of good saves V Boro
Billys effort easier to miss than score but he did + we had shots on target V Cardiff ( we'll forget the possible pen)

Yes we need to a lot better but these are the fine lines we are dealing with at the moment.

shorehamoldboy
16-08-2017, 07:54 AM
no need for panic yet we got exactly what i thought we would get out of these 2 away games nowt we need 3 quality players in that can compete at this level league 1 and 2 players have been recruited well but nows the time to step it up and back chris with the funds to being chanpionship players in over to you mr mcabe

U-F-O
16-08-2017, 08:11 AM
I think Ched could well start on Saturday but don't forget when him&Brooksy come on as subs they playin against tirin defenders.I'm a big fan of Brooksy but i don't think our fans should put him under too pressure,i reckon bring him on wi 25mins or so to go and ease him into first team action.The need for a new centre half has grown wi Stearman's injury but Tufty knows what's needed.UTCB

I think Tufty will make changes soon Rod. I've not ben that impressed with Stearman to be honest, I just don't think he has the physical presence or arial dominance that EEL had last season, which we are now lacking. I agree regarding Brooksy, he needs to be eased in, coming on against tiring midfielders & defenders. For me Id start Duffy over Carruthers, Evans over Clarke, Laffs over Stevens. Oh and Flecks got to get to grips with the pace of the game more. Maybe contreversially Beard over Freeman? just thought I'd chuck that one in ;D

Ayamonteblade
16-08-2017, 08:24 AM
I think Tufty will make changes soon Rod. I've not ben that impressed with Stearman to be honest, I just don't think he has the physical presence or arial dominance that EEL had last season, which we are now lacking. I agree regarding Brooksy, he needs to be eased in, coming on against tiring midfielders & defenders. For me Id start Duffy over Carruthers, Evans over Clarke, Laffs over Stevens. Oh and Flecks got to get to grips with the pace of the game more. Maybe contreversially Beard over Freeman? just thought I'd chuck that one in ;D

Agreed URO (unidentified ravlike object XD) .......Chedwyn and the Beard to start - quality players both of them. The others that are struggling need to take a look at themselves and raise their performances.............they need to be fitter and quicker in body and mind. If they can't or won't take this step up - well the Championship isn't for them.

Might take a while to sort the wheat from the chaff - but we'll get there if we are patient.

UTB

U-F-O
16-08-2017, 08:40 AM
Agreed URO (unidentified ravlike object XD) .......Chedwyn and the Beard to start - quality players both of them. The others that are struggling need to take a look at themselves and raise their performances.............they need to be fitter and quicker in body and mind. If they can't or won't take this step up - well the Championship isn't for them.

Might take a while to sort the wheat from the chaff - but we'll get there if we are patient.

UTB

Nail on head there Aya. mmmmm URO, might have a think about that one.

GuancheBlade
16-08-2017, 09:22 AM

You read my mind...

There's no point being a technically gifted player if you don't have the speed of body or mind to keep pace with the opposition players in the Championship. The only one we have is Coutts and even he is struggling to go toe to toe. Cardiff are a bang average side for this league and we made them look like world beaters just because their players are fitter, stronger and quicker to act. It looked like men against boys for large stretches of the game.

Players like Clarke, Fleck, Freeman and (dare I say it) Sharp enjoyed the luxury of more physical space and more thinking time in League 1. They're not getting it in the Championship and they're coming up short. Kind of makes you realise why they're constantly re-sold from the Championship back down to League 1 level time and time again. Enda Stevens looks like another one of this ilk. It's time for Championship players to sign on the dotted line otherwise we are in a relegation dog fight all season, make no mistake.

shorehamoldboy
16-08-2017, 10:26 AM
pity baldock got injured apart from freemans goalscoring ability i think baldock is the better wing back and yeah utilise brayford while were still paying him hes a championship quality player wonder if chris will throw him in at centre back on saturday also think it might be time to start ched maybe at leons expense

Currieisgod
16-08-2017, 09:39 PM
Well said. I think the key is how we do against the teams that are going to be around us. ie Bolton. Millwall and possibly Barnsley.
We need to be realistic and say that it's going to take at least 2 seasons before even dream of a top 6 finish which is why I think the last 2 away games have been a blessing in disguise.
The common theme for me so far is that teams in this league have so far managed to get behind our back line at will which does not mean 3 at the back is not working but more so that it's down to quality as well.

The front 2 look like they are a split second slower in attacking the ball but could be also down to the fact that championship defenders are a split second quicker.

I don't think we are miles away from holding our own in this league and I am sure that CW knows what he is doing. Hence the introduction of Brooke's and Ched who will play a part this weekend.

shorehamoldboy
17-08-2017, 08:30 AM
yeah agree with all of that tc to be honest im a bit suprised chris went with 2 up top in these 2 away games i thought he would have gone 4 5 1 to make things a little more solid and still think thats the way to go in away games a fit ched would be ideal for the 1 up front role

Currieisgod
17-08-2017, 09:09 AM
I suppose it depends on the personnel at the end of the day as I remember when we had Warnock as manager and he swore by the 5-4-1 or 4-5-1 system which worked with Shipperly up top on his own who wasn't exactly grease lightening with no disrespect,

Then more recently we had negative Nigel C who if i remember right played the Lone striker Jose Baxter with some success statistically despite criticism from most fronts.

I agree that a fit Ched could play that role particularly in away games but we still need pace up and down to make this effective.

Cardiff played with 2 pacey if not fantastically gifted wingers who lets be honest gave us problems all night so no matter how well we play and knock the ball about in between we will always struggle against pace unless we recruit some of our own to fight like with like.

Warnock is a wily old fox when it comes to seeing something positive in a player as when you look at Mendez -Laing for example, as when he played for us he rarely looked the part and although he gave us a hard time at Rochdale he would never be pencilled in as a potential premiership winger but Neil has actually made the unlikely seem possible here.

U-F-O
17-08-2017, 11:20 AM
I suppose it depends on the personnel at the end of the day as I remember when we had Warnock as manager and he swore by the 5-4-1 or 4-5-1 system which worked with Shipperly up top on his own who wasn't exactly grease lightening with no disrespect,

Then more recently we had negative Nigel C who if i remember right played the Lone striker Jose Baxter with some success statistically despite criticism from most fronts.

I agree that a fit Ched could play that role particularly in away games but we still need pace up and down to make this effective.

Cardiff played with 2 pacey if not fantastically gifted wingers who lets be honest gave us problems all night so no matter how well we play and knock the ball about in between we will always struggle against pace unless we recruit some of our own to fight like with like.

Warnock is a wily old fox when it comes to seeing something positive in a player as when you look at Mendez -Laing for example, as when he played for us he rarely looked the part and although he gave us a hard time at Rochdale he would never be pencilled in as a potential premiership winger but Neil has actually made the unlikely seem possible here.

I think we could try, not that I know f3ck all like, the 'geese' or as El Tel used to call it 'The Christams Tree' formation away from home 4-3-2-1 with the the 2 pushing on when attacking to support the 1 then the 2 dropping back when we dont have the ball to make a 5 in midfield and harder to break down. Easy this football malarky isn't it ;D

blades58
17-08-2017, 11:31 AM
No further progress made on signings according CW :(

pre Dingles match interview:

#sufc boss CW confirms Richard Stearman will be out for between 2-4 wks with the hamstring injury sustained at Cardiff.

#sufc boss CW confirms #sufc (Scunny) are one of several clubs are interested in James Hanson, who's currently injured.

#sufc boss CW says talks are underway with Burton regarding the transfer of John Brayford.

Regarding incomings, #sufc boss CW says no progess has been made, adding that he wants recruits in asap.

Aside from Stearman, #sufc have no other injuries after Cardiff. Changes are still being considered. Decisions on that will be made today.

Currieisgod
17-08-2017, 11:49 AM
I think we could try, not that I know f3ck all like, the 'geese' or as El Tel used to call it 'The Christams Tree' formation away from home 4-3-2-1 with the the 2 pushing on when attacking to support the 1 then the 2 dropping back when we dont have the ball to make a 5 in midfield and harder to break down. Easy this football malarky isn't it ;D

Its like I alluded to previously in that it is the quality that you have at the end of the day,
"You cant make a silk purse out of a sows ear" is the old adage and reading between the lines in CWs comments is that he has seen enough, even after just 3 games and knows that now the time is of the essence as we strive for recruitments,

I would hate to think that in 3 months time there will be fans on Radio and Social media saying that CW has gone as far as he can with what he has got blah,blah, blah, That old chestnut etc,

The issue here is that CW wants to take HIS club further and further but i suspect there are certain factors that are preventing him doing that at present because at the end of the day, Money talks and I smell a rat in this area YET AGAIN

boltonblade
17-08-2017, 12:06 PM
You read my mind...

There's no point being a technically gifted player if you don't have the speed of body or mind to keep pace with the opposition players in the Championship. The only one we have is Coutts and even he is struggling to go toe to toe. Cardiff are a bang average side for this league and we made them look like world beaters just because their players are fitter, stronger and quicker to act. It looked like men against boys for large stretches of the game.

Players like Clarke, Fleck, Freeman and (dare I say it) Sharp enjoyed the luxury of more physical space and more thinking time in League 1. They're not getting it in the Championship and they're coming up short. Kind of makes you realise why they're constantly re-sold from the Championship back down to League 1 level time and time again. Enda Stevens looks like another one of this ilk. It's time for Championship players to sign on the dotted line otherwise we are in a relegation dog fight all season, make no mistake.

Cardiff are a bang average side for this league? what does that make us then?

rodcurrie
17-08-2017, 01:26 PM
Cardiff are a bang average side for this league? what does that make us then?Bobbar i spose eh? But then Boro are bein tipped for the auto's and they narrowly beat us so i spose we're not that bad and Brentford are an established Championship top half side we beat them i spose we're not too bad eh? We need new lads in tho no one thinks different from what i've seen and heard includin Tufty. UTCB

Chips1889
17-08-2017, 02:43 PM
Cardiff are a bang average side for this league? what does that make us then?

How on earth do you come to that conclusion BB?

FatherKnowsBest
17-08-2017, 02:43 PM
Bobbar i spose eh? But then Boro are bein tipped for the auto's and they narrowly beat us so i spose we're not that bad and Brentford are an established Championship top half side we beat them i spose we're not too bad eh? We need new lads in tho no one thinks different from what i've seen and heard includin Tufty. UTCB

We haven't half played some rubbish teams so far Rod...

TABLE
1st Cardiff
2nd Wolves
3rd Ipswich
4th Middlesbrough

1st and 4th away. Why aren't we beating these bang average sides?

shorehamoldboy
17-08-2017, 07:35 PM
cardiff are the dark horses in the championship this season especially with warnocks track record in this division however i dont fancy them for top 6 we just got them at the wrong time of the season

U-F-O
18-08-2017, 08:27 AM
Its like I alluded to previously in that it is the quality that you have at the end of the day,
"You cant make a silk purse out of a sows ear" is the old adage and reading between the lines in CWs comments is that he has seen enough, even after just 3 games and knows that now the time is of the essence as we strive for recruitments,

I would hate to think that in 3 months time there will be fans on Radio and Social media saying that CW has gone as far as he can with what he has got blah,blah, blah, That old chestnut etc,

The issue here is that CW wants to take HIS club further and further but i suspect there are certain factors that are preventing him doing that at present because at the end of the day, Money talks and I smell a rat in this area YET AGAIN

True, you can only go so far with a certain quality of player and I think you are right in saying that Tufty has clearly identified this. The only but I would add, is that I think there is still a bit more quality to be squeezed out of some them yet IMHO. One or two have been a bit slow out of the traps shall we say. Like I said on another thread, our bar starts tomorrow, it wasn't against Boro or Cardiff. That is our next step up. As for smelling a Rat, I'm getting a slight whiff too, which is unusual for me.