PDA

View Full Version : And we all wanted a Striker.....

Jules88
16-08-2017, 01:20 AM
Last two games for me showing we need a commanding person in the middle. At the back. We need a leader, we need an organiser. We need a Scowan. Someone who is going to get a grip when the ball is being run straight through the middle towards our goal.

I've banged on about the ball to the back post at crosses and corners not being met before..... championship teams leave this back door open regularly..... ... and tonight our first goal came from it.
For me it was Jacksons missed header that gave them the goal, but I'm not blaming him as he did superbly well rest of the match. But their goal came the same way I've described..... man running in, right at the end of the cross.......

Hammil, at the moment in any other team would be the Captain.... (Hecky please take it Off Angus and let him be a great defender again...... it's obvious he can't concentrate on watching the game, and his own game..... something tells me he'll be SOOOOOO relieved when it happens..... he's not been the same since he got it).... Hammill or Davies......
Tonight Potts took a booking for the team. Now I know he's not had the best of starts, but when he took the booking tonight he showed, ( along with a few good moves and some good positioning, and intelligent runs) that he can come good. I'd wait before judging him. Poor at Bristol, " waking up " against Ipswich, and "one foot on the floor" tonight...... I liked the booking he took, as he knew he had to stop the move, showed intelligence. And I think he can read a game.... Hourihane took a while .... remember.
McCarthy and Hammil will be excellent together..... seems like Adam lives Macca coming forward and macca reads the game well..... one or two occasions when he was caught up front after a foray forward, but soon recovered.
Pearson loves to get forward, and the lad has some skill.....for me he will definitely develop.
One criticism from me tonight, and it's for a player who saved two or three certain goals... just thought Davo was a bit stuck to his line......

Williams wasn't right. (Did I see him really chuck carrots up, mid game?)
Hedges....... what can you say...... just WANTS TO GO FORWARD, every time he gets the ball.....

I Criticised Adam Hammil last season, and I said he should be sold......
I apologise mate........ tonight and Saturday you have fought, battled, scrambled, tackled, and not one petulant act ( and the sitting on the hoardings crossed armed when you were mad with the ref was an absolute CLASSIC!!!! ) ....

I think Hecky took you off to get the applause you deserve.... I hope so....... it would be a shame if he did it to say "I'm the boss" after that display. I think tonight Adam. You showed that it's not about Adam, it's about how the team does.....

Same team Saturday please chaps..

SBRed48
16-08-2017, 08:00 AM
Top pooast Jules. I agree wi ivverything tha sez so it must be good. ;D

POGGYWELL
16-08-2017, 08:45 AM
A performance where we had to dig deep and did it well. I would say it was more of a superb ball in than a missed header from Jackson who I thought had his best game for the club. Hedges, well if he continues to develope at the current rate he will be the next on Bruce's direct debit list, if he's still in a job.
Hammill once we got the the second he was master class with his hold up play and no show boating. I've seen enough in the last two games to believe we will be fine a good battling performance with every man jack giving their all against a very good a Forest side who are head and shoulders above Ipswich Town.
Let's all agree at this stage not to criticise any of these kids just yet they are still learning and getting to know each other's strengths and weaknesses.

Poulton Tyke
16-08-2017, 08:53 AM
Great post Jules. Couldn't get to see em last night but going for first time on Saturday so god to get a well observed insight.

I think you make good points about a lack of leadership. It's easy to just mourn the loss of talent with all the outgoings but losing the characters and the leaders from the dressing room is just as if not more hard hitting, particularly when you're not winning.

Hoping Hecky brings in a couple before the end of the window. Experienced general to anchor in the middle and an older head at the back. That said, chuffed to bits at how that set of young lads have bounced back from Saturday and ground out that 3 pts.

Exiletyke
16-08-2017, 10:05 AM
Last two games for me showing we need a commanding person in the middle. At the back. We need a leader, we need an organiser. We need a Scowan. Someone who is going to get a grip when the ball is being run straight through the middle towards our goal.

I've banged on about the ball to the back post at crosses and corners not being met before..... championship teams leave this back door open regularly..... ... and tonight our first goal came from it.
For me it was Jacksons missed header that gave them the goal, but I'm not blaming him as he did superbly well rest of the match. But their goal came the same way I've described..... man running in, right at the end of the cross.......

Hammil, at the moment in any other team would be the Captain.... (Hecky please take it Off Angus and let him be a great defender again...... it's obvious he can't concentrate on watching the game, and his own game..... something tells me he'll be SOOOOOO relieved when it happens..... he's not been the same since he got it).... Hammill or Davies......
Tonight Potts took a booking for the team. Now I know he's not had the best of starts, but when he took the booking tonight he showed, ( along with a few good moves and some good positioning, and intelligent runs) that he can come good. I'd wait before judging him. Poor at Bristol, " waking up " against Ipswich, and "one foot on the floor" tonight...... I liked the booking he took, as he knew he had to stop the move, showed intelligence. And I think he can read a game.... Hourihane took a while .... remember.
McCarthy and Hammil will be excellent together..... seems like Adam lives Macca coming forward and macca reads the game well..... one or two occasions when he was caught up front after a foray forward, but soon recovered.
Pearson loves to get forward, and the lad has some skill.....for me he will definitely develop.
One criticism from me tonight, and it's for a player who saved two or three certain goals... just thought Davo was a bit stuck to his line......

Williams wasn't right. (Did I see him really chuck carrots up, mid game?)
Hedges....... what can you say...... just WANTS TO GO FORWARD, every time he gets the ball.....

I Criticised Adam Hammil last season, and I said he should be sold......
I apologise mate........ tonight and Saturday you have fought, battled, scrambled, tackled, and not one petulant act ( and the sitting on the hoardings crossed armed when you were mad with the ref was an absolute CLASSIC!!!! ) ....

I think Hecky took you off to get the applause you deserve.... I hope so....... it would be a shame if he did it to say "I'm the boss" after that display. I think tonight Adam. You showed that it's not about Adam, it's about how the team does.....

Same team Saturday please chaps..

Great post Jules thanks

anstonred
16-08-2017, 10:39 AM
I agree that we need an experienced player to hold midfield - Williams is a pretty decent player but, last night, wasn't as strong in the tackle as we need him to be - time to develop but, to be honest, I'd sooner have our own players
Potts will be a really good player for us as soon as he gets better up to speed - after 70 mins he was looking a bit leggy
Hammill superb all night as was McCarthy - Pearson developing well - Bradshaw starting to look a reight player! Had gets? Superb! A real gem!

Acido
16-08-2017, 01:37 PM
I reckon most of us have always been fans of Adam Hammill, and we've only ever wanted Hecky to play him fairly. If hes off form or suspended or inured of course, then he has to be dropped. He didn't give him a proper chance last season and that for me brought about his inconsistent form when he did play. Now surely hes a regular name on the team sheet and that can only be for the good of the club.

And another credit to Adam, Davies that is!! hes been a star in goal so far and thats good news for us, and bad news for Townsend lol.

Im trying to take as many positives as I can from last night because it really was a good win and an important win as well, who knows what that will do to their confidence in the build up to the big Blunts match. All the improvements that each player is showing is a good thing and while this is still going to be a tough season and a steep learning curve, we've started to climb that curve now and fingers crossed, we will see it continue.

Ponte_Steve24
16-08-2017, 02:53 PM
I must of been only person in ground that didn't rate Potts n' don't rate Pearson. Who allowed cross for goal. Also the 50/50 Potts wimped out of almost led to an equaliser for Forest. Didn't anybody notice us being second to every loose ball? Didn't anyone else witness Moncur going missing n' rightly being subbed?

Acido
16-08-2017, 03:10 PM
Moncur seems to have gone a step backwards Ponty, and being taken off for the kid Bird last night might have given him a wake up call. We haven't seen much of any of them yet, but would you prefer Fryers then instead of Pearson ?.
Id rather see Mowatt than Potts but Alex hasn't done himself and us many favours so far has he.

Ponte_Steve24
16-08-2017, 03:16 PM
Fryers back for Pearson is a must Acido. I'd give Mallan a go for Moncur and bring in Mowatt for Potts. I've slated the lad Williams although for his effort I'd leave him in until I could find a replacement. Maybe the lad Lowe from Blackburn.

Acido
16-08-2017, 03:25 PM
And I suggest these names without even mentioning Yiadom, hes surely on his way sooner or later.
If hes fit Id definitely give Mallan a chance, a lot was said about him when he signed and it sounded like we'd got a really decent deal for him. Maybe Moncur needs to be dropped for a few games again to get the right attitude back.
For those who goto the U23's how is McGeehan coming along ?.

Romared
16-08-2017, 03:34 PM
I must of been only person in ground that didn't rate Potts n' don't rate Pearson. Who allowed cross for goal. Also the 50/50 Potts wimped out of almost led to an equaliser for Forest. Didn't anybody notice us being second to every loose ball? Didn't anyone else witness Moncur going missing n' rightly being subbed?
If you get chance Ponte watch where their goal comes from ? A pappy challenge from Williams (again ) Pearson was going forward expecting Williams to release him in , tackle lost leaving Pearson out of position , Great ball in and a good finish from the type of striker I wish we had , Question mark over Davies there ? Check Moncurs stats on Passes and assists , apparently in the top 6 in the Championship, as for Fryers he has to get fit first , forget Mowatt he needs moving on

Hodger1957
16-08-2017, 07:50 PM
I wasn't there last night, but I went on Saturday.
I sat right behind Pearson, ten rows back, and got a good look at him.
I know he was probably nervous, and inexperienced but he was caught out of position so many times. It probably didn't help that the bloke behind me singled him out for dog's abuse.
The lad he was up against was probably their best player but he turned him inside out and he never stopped a cross.
McDonald mis-controlled when he was last man, and a better player would have punished him.
As for Jackson, I don't think I've ever seen a proffesional Centre half go for a header and it go clean over his head. He did it 3 times in one match. I couldn't beleive it when I saw their goal last night. Good cross or not he either has to get something on it, or he should have been closer to his man.
Having said that, there was plenty to be pleased about, and it sounds like there was more improvement last night.
Things will improve, but it's important the fans stay with them. It's important we pick up a few points from these first ten games.

animallittle3
16-08-2017, 08:38 PM
I wasn't there last night, but I went on Saturday.
I sat right behind Pearson, ten rows back, and got a good look at him.
I know he was probably nervous, and inexperienced but he was caught out of position so many times. It probably didn't help that the bloke behind me singled him out for dog's abuse.
The lad he was up against was probably their best player but he turned him inside out and he never stopped a cross.
McDonald mis-controlled when he was last man, and a better player would have punished him.
As for Jackson, I don't think I've ever seen a proffesional Centre half go for a header and it go clean over his head. He did it 3 times in one match. I couldn't beleive it when I saw their goal last night. Good cross or not he either has to get something on it, or he should have been closer to his man.
Having said that, there was plenty to be pleased about, and it sounds like there was more improvement last night.
Things will improve, but it's important the fans stay with them. It's important we pick up a few points from these first ten games.

I've mentioned on another thread about basics hodger and I'm pleased someone else has picked up on this .

I'm with everyone about giving these guys a good go , dogs abuse isn't helpful .

However I expected one or two of these lads to be a little more advanced than some of them are , that is not to say it won't come of course its just there's more work to do than I imagined .

Ball watching I had Forest's goal down as and then he got caught on the wrong side of his man , the cross too should have been defended better , gave the lad far too much room to get his cross in and needs to get a little tighter .

Offensively is very pleasing , some fine one touch football and imagination on offer .

Nozzer1953
16-08-2017, 09:24 PM
Maybe Williams through up because he was knackered having done Moncur's running as well as his own. Moncur needs to up his work rate when he doesn't have the ball. When he has the ball he does good things, but he also needs to do work off the ball. It is a learning curve. I think Bird coming on, and playing well, sent a message out to Moncur, Mowatt and Mallan

Acido
16-08-2017, 10:05 PM
I think thats a good point as well that fans often either overlook or ignore, and its what players do and don't do when they don't have the ball. George Moncur's been here long enough now and we shouldn't still be saying about him 'ohh just give him time, he'll get better' etc.

As for the idea that some of these kids should be more advanced than what they are right now, well that just shows what a poor and naive 'plan' this is by forcing so many kids on us so soon. I never agreed with the idea that we'll be alright, we'll stay up, & don't worry etc... well I still think theres every reason to worry as far as us staying up this season goes.

But its nice to be able to talk about a win and a home win again at last, and whether it was against Notts Forest is irrelevant really.

Jules88
16-08-2017, 10:34 PM
Fryers back for Pearson is a must Acido. I'd give Mallan a go for Moncur and bring in Mowatt for Potts. I've slated the lad Williams although for his effort I'd leave him in until I could find a replacement. Maybe the lad Lowe from Blackburn.

Nah...Fryers is a waste of money for me. Poor at Rochdale, very poor. He won't play 30 games here

Jules88
16-08-2017, 10:39 PM
Maybe Williams through up because he was knackered having done Moncur's running as well as his own. Moncur needs to up his work rate when he doesn't have the ball. When he has the ball he does good things, but he also needs to do work off the ball. It is a learning curve. I think Bird coming on, and playing well, sent a message out to Moncur, Mowatt and Mallan
Spot on mate, Williams was knackered covering Moncurs laziness. And Hecky saw it. If we had been losing Moncur would have been hoiked off at half time.

perkytyke
16-08-2017, 11:20 PM
Hecky doesn't know his team yet! It's like chess he's just moving certain pieces around to see what works best and who can adapt to how he wants the team to play.
Unfortunately he's still missing a couple of pieces either through new signings or fitness!
Jackson is toilet for me, for every good thing he does he makes three mistakes! Once Lindsey is fit he should be out of the team, Pearson looks like he needs more game time to improve and if he doesn't we will try Fryers! and hopefully we will then tighten up at the back.
McGeehan needs to get fit then get up to speed with the Championship so once fit he will be coming off the bench for a few weeks but Hecky will be able to see if he fits the bill eventually?
Thiam will be training to get fit and hopefully will be able to start coming on from the bench soon so Hecky can see how he and Bradshaw work together?
Let's not forget we have Issy to come back as well when fit and he terrifies defences!
For me it's no surprise and certainly won't be to Hecky that our best three players so far this season are Hammill, Davies and Bradshaw the three with Championship experience! The other shining light is Hedges who was also here last season! Even though he didn't play much he was around during a Championship season learning from the players around him.
The new lads need time to settle and learn from teammates, the Championship and their mistakes, some will be found wanting but some will step up!
I think the futures bright given the games so far which we have improved on each time! I trust Hecky completely he knows what he wants and we are getting there!
One thing I would like to see though is the club extending the contracts of Hammill and Bradshaw! Hammill needs to know he's loved by management as much as he is by the fans and if Tom carries on the way he is currently, someone will come in for him in January because strikers in this league that are good enough are usually snapped up by bigger clubs and you can guarantee they are monitoring him now?

Ponte_Steve24
17-08-2017, 12:26 AM
Agree Perky :star:

fantykestic
17-08-2017, 12:33 AM
Went Saturday and Tuesday and you can already see improvement in the side. I said Saturday that Moncur was a 45 minute man at best and as far as I'm concerned Tuesday proved it. Jackson is improving every game but I still think he's a liability at the moment. Pearson will cone good I have no doubt and again is improving each game. Potts send a bit of a wimp and breeds to put his body on the line sometimes. The" old boys" are all playing great especially Hammill , should definitely be captain. Overall I think the team are improving and play some good football at times. The first 45 Saturday was awesome in places. Although a bit nieve at times but i think this team will turn out to be a great team in the end.