PDA

View Full Version : Sone Aluko

Blade for Life
16-08-2017, 06:57 PM
Sounds like he is becoming surplus at Fulham. A player I like with strength and pace. Could be worth a bid ?.

blades58
16-08-2017, 07:21 PM
Sounds like he is becoming surplus at Fulham. A player I like with strength and pace. Could be worth a bid ?.

The question has to be, is there enough of that big championship investment available to get him in?

blades58
16-08-2017, 07:27 PM
As a side note, anyone here the first time blade caller who has a box at the Lane and was present along with 50 or so other blades some time back when McCabe reiterated that the Championship investment is definately there once we get back to the championship

£5m more in the kitty from sell ons and yet still no sign of any big investment

As the caller said, if it's not there then tell us, don't bullcrap us

Blade for Life
16-08-2017, 07:37 PM
As a side note, anyone here the first time blade caller who has a box at the Lane and was present along with 50 or so other blades some time back when McCabe reiterated that the Championship investment is definately there once we get back to the championship

£5m more in the kitty from sell ons and yet still no sign of any big investment

As the caller said, if it's not there then tell us, don't bullcrap us Exactly but as usual McCabe over promises and under delivers. We are not asking for stupid money, the sell on money would get us what we need without McCabe having to come good on a firm promise.

shorehamoldboy
16-08-2017, 08:02 PM
i think the problem is we dont know wether to stick or twist here do we go all in and bring 3 or 4 more in or hold some cash back for the january window but its obvious we need at least another couple in now so its a bit of a poser for chris sensed a little bit of frustration in his voice after game last night be aware mr mcabe

FatherKnowsBest
16-08-2017, 08:07 PM
Ive a feeling that the hint of frustration in Wilders voice was more to do with just losing to Warnock than the now supposed lack of support from the boardroom.

blades58
16-08-2017, 08:16 PM
Ive a feeling that the hint of frustration in Wilders voice was more to do with just losing to Warnock than the now supposed lack of support from the boardroom.

Probably right there FKB. However, Wilder has also shown a little frustration at not being able to get any of our latest targets over the line, so I don't think it's all about losing

Blade for Life
16-08-2017, 08:24 PM
i think the problem is we dont know wether to stick or twist here do we go all in and bring 3 or 4 more in or hold some cash back for the january window but its obvious we need at least another couple in now so its a bit of a poser for chris sensed a little bit of frustration in his voice after game last night be aware mr mcabe I thought our 2 owners were looking at other investors for further JTW money ?.We need a good start so twist for me.

blades58
16-08-2017, 08:31 PM
I thought our 2 owners were looking at other investors for further JTW money ?.We need a good start so twist for me.

Yes McCabe said that. So do we have championship investment put aside as we've led to believe or not?

The caller said no bullcrap tell us what the score is. Don't tell us there is if there isn't. The caller is repeating what KM said that is all

FatherKnowsBest
17-08-2017, 05:26 AM
Probably right there FKB. However, Wilder has also shown a little frustration at not being able to get any of our latest targets over the line, so I don't think it's all about losing

Its important, I feel, not to see something and immediately think it supports our theories or predjudices. So far as I can see, Chris has brought in a bunch of players he wanted and has been backed. He's been given money, has he spent it wisely? If they are now looking a bit inadequate, and some of our stars are struggling to make the step up, that isn't in itself a fault of the board.

I remember Keith Hill ( a very respectable lower league manager) being interviewed after he got fired from Barnsley, and him saying that he couldn't believe the speed and power of the game at the higher level. Has Tufty underestimated the step-up in the players he's brought in? Does his 'wages and budget philosophy' work at this level. Is he just working within an inadequate budget? The thing is, none of us know for sure. Its easy to blame McCabe, but it is also unfair without knowing the facts.

blades58
17-08-2017, 07:06 AM
Its important, I feel, not to see something and immediately think it supports our theories or predjudices. So far as I can see, Chris has brought in a bunch of players he wanted and has been backed. He's been given money, has he spent it wisely? If they are now looking a bit inadequate, and some of our stars are struggling to make the step up, that isn't in itself a fault of the board.

I remember Keith Hill ( a very respectable lower league manager) being interviewed after he got fired from Barnsley, and him saying that he couldn't believe the speed and power of the game at the higher level. Has Tufty underestimated the step-up in the players he's brought in? Does his 'wages and budget philosophy' work at this level. Is he just working within an inadequate budget? The thing is, none of us know for sure. Its easy to blame McCabe, but it is also unfair without knowing the facts.

I don't blame him FKB, especially for CW's signings. However, I think as fans we have a right to know where we are at.

Saying one thing and then doing another doesn't sit well with the fans and when the sensible caller last night, a blade for 40 odd years, who pays for a box, asks questions about this subject then I think that's not a hysterical " I hate McCabe" fan having a go, but someone who asks a legitimate question that many of us would like answering.

Of course there's still time for CW to bring in some players who might well be comfortable in this division and might cost a few bob to get them here so I'll keep my fingers crossed

shorehamoldboy
17-08-2017, 08:24 AM
yes there is still plenty of time 58 think the big dilema for chris here is salaries he obviously doesnt want to upset the spirit in the club by bringing players in on double that others are earning but he may have to address this problem soon if the players he has brought in cant hack it in the championship personally i think the squad he has now will survive in this division but chris is obviously ambitious and wants to do more than that

FatherKnowsBest
17-08-2017, 08:59 AM
I don't blame him FKB, especially for CW's signings. However, I think as fans we have a right to know where we are at.

Saying one thing and then doing another doesn't sit well with the fans and when the sensible caller last night, a blade for 40 odd years, who pays for a box, asks questions about this subject then I think that's not a hysterical " I hate McCabe" fan having a go, but someone who asks a legitimate question that many of us would like answering.

Of course there's still time for CW to bring in some players who might well be comfortable in this division and might cost a few bob to get them here so I'll keep my fingers crossed

Yes, but its as if because we haven't made that big signing we haven't spent anything. We got six new ones all of whom cost something and get wages too, so I just don't buy the 'we've spent nowt' argument. I think its a more pertinent question to ask if Wilder has set his sights too low. Are we trying to be too clever or too sentimental in preserving the low cost model instead of adjusting it for the next level? I really don't know. If the expectation is to finish 15th this season, then grow and develop over the next two seasons, then what are we flapping about if we aren't going to spend another £10m to finish three places higher this time around?

rodcurrie
17-08-2017, 09:25 AM
Yes, but its as if because we haven't made that big signing we haven't spent anything. We got six new ones all of whom cost something and get wages too, so I just don't buy the 'we've spent nowt' argument. I think its a more pertinent question to ask if Wilder has set his sights too low. Are we trying to be too clever or too sentimental in preserving the low cost model instead of adjusting it for the next level? I really don't know. If the expectation is to finish 15th this season, then grow and develop over the next two seasons, then what are we flapping about if we aren't going to spend another £10m to finish three places higher this time around?I understand some questionin our players and the board's "ambition" but it's still early and let's not forget several of our lads started slowly last season,Jack,Flecky,Freeman and Coutts wasn't even startin.I think we'll be ok and still think with one or two more in we'll be nearer mid table than the bottom,there are Massive differences in this league now wi what clubs are prepared to/can pay for players but Barnsley's wage bill won't be bigger than ours i wunt think and look at all the good players they've lost in't last 12 months.Apparently Hamill had a r8 game on Tuesday he could cause us alot of problems on Satdi,i'm lookin forward to a good game cos it appears to me neither side are defendin brilliantly so nar i've said that expect a 0-0 folks.:) UTCB

blades58
17-08-2017, 09:35 AM
Yes, but its as if because we haven't made that big signing we haven't spent anything. We got six new ones all of whom cost something and get wages too, so I just don't buy the 'we've spent nowt' argument. I think its a more pertinent question to ask if Wilder has set his sights too low. Are we trying to be too clever or too sentimental in preserving the low cost model instead of adjusting it for the next level? I really don't know. If the expectation is to finish 15th this season, then grow and develop over the next two seasons, then what are we flapping about if we aren't going to spend another £10m to finish three places higher this time around?

I suspect the reality is pretty much like the fans. The board would like to storm the division but know that it cannot be achieved realistically without spending a vast amount of money

Whilst I agree that we brought these players in that cost money and higher wages due to the respective division we are now in, don't forget some of that cost has been offset by the release of 2 players and 3 more on the transfer list. (Done has gone) I presume Beard is one, but can't remember who the other one is? Wallace has now gone as well and I presume there will be one or two more, with Hanson now being touted.

rodcurrie
17-08-2017, 09:43 AM
I suspect the reality is pretty much like the fans. The board would like to storm the division but know that it cannot be achieved realistically without spending a vast amount of money

Whilst I agree that we brought these players in that cost money and higher wages due to the respective division we are now in, don't forget some of that cost has been offset by the release of 2 players and 3 more on the transfer list. (Done has gone) I presume Beard is one, but can't remember who the other one is? Wallace has now gone as well and I presume there will be one or two more, with Hanson now being touted.Wallace won't have walked for nowt will he? Isn't Hanson on't list? We also have some sell on money,alot are sayin we need a striker(i agree) but in my view we need a Centre Back first and foremost nar Stearman's injured cos altho he hasn't set the Lane alight yet i do think he's done ok.UTCB

GuancheBlade
17-08-2017, 09:54 AM
i think the problem is we dont know wether to stick or twist here do we go all in and bring 3 or 4 more in or hold some cash back for the january window but its obvious we need at least another couple in now so its a bit of a poser for chris sensed a little bit of frustration in his voice after game last night be aware mr mcabe

Stick for what though? We don't invest and we're definitely in a relegation battle. We have to spend to guarantee safety, let alone make a push for the play offs so I don't see how the board has any other choice but to spend some cash.

U-F-O
17-08-2017, 11:28 AM
Stick for what though? We don't invest and we're definitely in a relegation battle. We have to spend to guarantee safety, let alone make a push for the play offs so I don't see how the board has any other choice but to spend some cash.

I don't think its in either the board or fans expectations to push for the play offs this season. Its certainly way off my own expectaions anyway. Consolidation is the target IMHO. Yes, we may require 2 or 3 more or even 4 or 5 just to achieve that alone, but it's still early days yet.

GuancheBlade
17-08-2017, 02:00 PM
There is frustration in CW's voice when he says he's known for weeks he needed a CB, CM and forward, for me a dig at those pontificating over £250k difference between clubs to get a player in.

It's like the Maradona saga all over again! :P

almostsignedmaradona
17-08-2017, 07:20 PM
The bottom line is that the board want some gaurantee that any large investment will be worth it.

Remember it was only a few weeks ago most Blades were saying Fleck and Coutts would impress in the Championship.
Many were convinced Fleck is PL bound and we should offer him a long contract on big wages.
Many said the same about Brooks too.

The truth is that Wilder is a master at the lower league level. He has little experience of this league or the players,
So Wilder himself is learning on the job, that's why he was NEVER going to be offered a big job during the Summer.

The board has a few million to spend BUT it would be dangerous to spend the whole budget in this transfer window.
Over the next few weeks Wilder will learn so much regards the strengths and weaknesses of his squad.
Once he knows what he wants then the board will feel more confident backing him.
To be honest I think a big factor in our success will be the usage of the loan market.

shorehamoldboy
17-08-2017, 07:27 PM
yes ive a feeling it might be 2 permanent signings and 2 loan signings and i think we need them

Blade for Life
17-08-2017, 07:43 PM
yes ive a feeling it might be 2 permanent signings and 2 loan signings and i think we need them
I hope you are right let's not forget the sell on fees will not have been in the plans or the budget, so should in theory be extra. I assume we will have this money by JTW. The original budget should be invested now, leaving this while January is a far riskier strategy.

shorehamoldboy
17-08-2017, 08:27 PM
the prices for championship players are getting silly but we certainly need that quality in the squad so its a poser for chris just hope mcabe aint up to his old tricks again chris wilder is a loyal man but i think he will only be pushed so far surely king kev wont be foolish enough to lose the best manager weve had in 20 years ?

Blade for Life
17-08-2017, 08:38 PM
the prices for championship players are getting silly but we certainly need that quality in the squad so its a poser for chris just hope mcabe aint up to his old tricks again chris wilder is a loyal man but i think he will only be pushed so far surely king kev wont be foolish enough to lose the best manager weve had in 20 years ?
Let's not forget the other 50 percent owner, Prince Abdullah.McCabe is the Nick Clegg to Prince Abdullahs David Cameron. The teflon Prince who promised another wave of Championship investment. As 58 said earlier don't make empty promises just be honest with us. Wilder should get the Walker sell on fee and that should be enough.

shorehamoldboy
17-08-2017, 09:07 PM
nowt to say he wont bfl but the vibes from tuftys last couple of interviews suggest hes frustrated by something regarding these transfer targets