PDA

View Full Version : Have the board actually spent any money yet??

DonVincenzo (The II)
17-08-2017, 10:33 PM
IN
Victims CL Group Stage Qualification Bonus : £260,000
Europa League Bonus £416,000
Johnny Hayes £1.3m
Miles Storey £1.99

Thats a combined total income of just under £2m.

Now call me cynical, but if you add this to the new shirt sales (& May 83 added sales), and season tickets of 11,000, AFC have taken in a fair chunk of cash this summer.

DM talked about the amazing support from the board to get the new squad in....have they actually spent any money at all that they had before all this came in? Thats what backing and support would mean to me.

or has it all gone to Aurora and her invisible PR mascot Sir Alex?

nice1simmy
17-08-2017, 11:01 PM
IN
Johnny Hayes £1.3m
Miles Storey £1.99

Now call me cynical, but if you add this to the new shirt sales (& May 83 added sales), and season tickets of 11,000, AFC have taken in a fair chunk of cash this summer.

DM talked about the amazing support from the board to get the new squad in....have they actually spent any money at all that they had before all this came in? Thats what backing and support would mean to me.

Id be surprised if the europa league money has been paid yet,dont know how long it takes to come to us,but seeing as we got papped out 2wks ago cant see us getting it now and as the victims only won last nite and they're not through yet officially then obviously that money aint through yet? Call me stupid but i think it will be a few weeks/months before we see any european cash head our way so maybe you're being cynical aye

TartanIvor
18-08-2017, 06:26 AM
Id be surprised if the europa league money has been paid yet,dont know how long it takes to come to us,but seeing as we got papped out 2wks ago cant see us getting it now and as the victims only won last nite and they're not through yet officially then obviously that money aint through yet? Call me stupid but i think it will be a few weeks/months before we see any european cash head our way so maybe you're being cynical aye

European League cash will be docked with what they decide to fine us hearing was yesterday which was to late to ban Apollin from the competition

DonVincenzo (The II)
18-08-2017, 07:47 AM

your missing my point....thats like having a tenner in your pocket knowing knowing you won 10 in the lottery last night, giving 10 quid to your daughter and then going to collect your winnings.

end result is you didnt spend any money.

If the board want to really back DM, surely they should be spending above the money they got extra, not just moving money around.

hewittextratime
18-08-2017, 07:58 AM
I'd imagine that last season would have been fairly profitable with runs to 2 sold-out Hampden finals.

That said I'm happy for us to live within our means, it's not long since we were nudging towards £10M in debt and spending in the region of 750k per annum on debt interest, you only have to look at der Hun to see what effect spending beyond your means can have.

Del has been prudent with some shrewd loan moves for guys who are beyond our budget to buy outright and new deals for players, I'm sure as a result that our wage budget has increased this season compared to last. We've got some good young players pushing for first team places now and that should always be the blueprint for a club like ours who can't compete financially with the ugly sisters.

Mek
18-08-2017, 08:15 AM
New contracts for Lewis and Logan will be part of that spending as well.

According to DM during his various interviews, the board have pretty much spent the income from Johnny moving this summer.

I would be surprised if there was much left from that. And any Euro money wont count yet. I would be surprised if the clubs see any of that before xmas.

Edit: Also, new contracts for DM and Doc, so thats probably another chunk of money spent. How much we will never know.

Skacel
18-08-2017, 08:29 AM
The club will only get about 10% of shirt sales. Most will go to the manufacturer.

theram1975
18-08-2017, 09:21 AM

Yes and we've had to fork out for 2 private aircraft with crew which isn't cheap.

The money for Hayes will be long gona covering new contracts as well as GMS and May.

DonVincenzo (The II)
18-08-2017, 09:23 AM
Ok so with all that considered, what happened to this years normal football budget?
if all we have spent is the money we made that we dont normally make, where is the rest.

Cormack also investing which I forgot to include.

Milne with holes in his pocket again i think

andoplzcumbak
18-08-2017, 09:27 AM
We've forked out 300k on May, 90k? on GMS. Wages on those 2, wages for other new signings, did we not have to pay a bit out for Arny? new contracts for Logan, Lewis and whoever i've missed.

We've spent a good bit this summer.

Edit: and we've just been fined, though only 9100. Appollon were fined 25k.

afc_1983
18-08-2017, 09:39 AM
Ok so with all that considered, what happened to this years normal football budget?
if all we have spent is the money we made that we dont normally make, where is the rest.

Cormack also investing which I forgot to include.

Milne with holes in his pocket again i think

It's a legitimate question to ask.

I'm a bit perplexed about the Hayes money. If we spent £150k on GMS and £300k on May then that's £450k - let's call it £500k in case the fees were a bit more for argument's sake.

I suspect we've paid a decent loan fee to Brum for Stewart and to Celtic for Christie - what do you reckon? £100k each? Let's call it £300k in total in case I'm underestimating, again just for argument's sake.

That's £800k in total.

The Hayes fee was reportedly £1.3 million.

What about the cost of other players? Well they were free transfers - Maynard, Arnason, Tansey.

What about the extra money being spent on new contracts for the new and existing players (Logan / Lewis)? Well, we lost some big/decent earners from the wage bill last season whose wages would surely have been available to redeploy - Hayes, McGinn, Taylor, Jack and Pawlett, as well as Alexander.

Has our wage bill gone up by 500k on last season to account for the new squad?

Maybe it has - I don't know, but again this money is covered by the Hayes deal.

Factor in revenues generated from 2 cup finals, European money forthcoming and record season ticket sales as well as presumably health merchandise sales and you'd think we'd have a bit more money around.

And that's not even contemplating the extra investment that Cormack was supposed to have promised.

There's some smoke and mirrors going on here that's for sure.

That said, I'm happy with our squad.

DonVincenzo (The II)
18-08-2017, 09:42 AM
It's a legitimate question to ask.

I'm a bit perplexed about the Hayes money. If we spent £150k on GMS and £300k on May then that's £450k - let's call it £500k in case the fees were a bit more for argument's sake.

I suspect we've paid a decent loan fee to Brum for Stewart and to Celtic for Christie - what do you reckon? £100k each? Let's call it £300k in total in case I'm underestimating, again just for argument's sake.

That's £800k in total.

The Hayes fee was reportedly £1.3 million.

What about the cost of other players? Well they were free transfers - Maynard, Arnason, Tansey.

What about the extra money being spent on new contracts for the new and existing players (Logan / Lewis)? Well, we lost some big/decent earners from the wage bill last season whose wages would surely have been available to redeploy - Hayes, McGinn, Taylor, Jack and Pawlett, as well as Alexander.

Has our wage bill gone up by 500k on last season to account for the new squad?

Maybe it has - I don't know, but again this money is covered by the Hayes deal.

Factor in revenues generated from 2 cup finals, European money forthcoming and record season ticket sales as well as presumably health merchandise sales and you'd think we'd have a bit more money around.

And that's not even contemplating the extra investment that Cormack was supposed to have promised.

There's some smoke and mirrors going on here that's for sure.

That said, I'm happy with our squad.

Exactly....dont get me wrong, the squad is superb this season.....but is it just me or is there a feeling of 'that will do' going on here.

There is no way we have spent all the money we have coming in on top of the normal football budget.
The extra mile without ruining us is what might make the difference between winning the cup final in the last minute and losing it.

Just saying..

Over to you Milne.

theram1975
18-08-2017, 09:49 AM
I'm sure there is still some extra money floating around but I don't want to see it being spent just for the sake of it. If a decent defender was available then that would do nicely.

I think we also paid a fee to get Arnason out of his contract and Tansey although free would have got a nice signing on fee as most players who sign pre-contract arrangements do. There may also have been a lot of bonuses paid out to the players at the end of last season due to reaching both finals and finishing 2nd.

TartanIvor
18-08-2017, 10:03 AM
There may also have been a lot of bonuses paid out to the players at the end of last season due to reaching both finals and finishing 2nd.

Should get nothing for the League cup final as no one turned up

Pacman1903
18-08-2017, 10:35 AM
Should get nothing for the League cup final as no one turned up

I turned up but wish i didn't

RedStarTorphins
18-08-2017, 10:39 AM
IN
Johnny Hayes £1.3m
Miles Storey £1.99

Firstly, we won't get the Jonny Hayes fee up front in one chunk.
Likely £750k now and the remainder over the length of his contract.

We've spent;

GMS - £150k
May - £300k-£400k
Loan fee Christie - £100k?
Loan fee Stewart - £100k?

So that'll be the Hayes fee (the first main chunk) gone

Add in;
New improved contracts for Shay Logan, Joe Lewis and both DM & Tony Doc.

DollyLongstaffe
18-08-2017, 12:00 PM
Firstly, we won't get the Jonny Hayes fee up front in one chunk.
Likely £750k now and the remainder over the length of his contract.

We've spent;

GMS - £150k
May - £300k-£400k
Loan fee Christie - £100k?
Loan fee Stewart - £100k?

So that'll be the Hayes fee (the first main chunk) gone

Add in;
New improved contracts for Shay Logan, Joe Lewis and both DM & Tony Doc.

Does anybody seriously think we'd have signed the guys we've signed without the extra income? Clearly there's additional expenditure.

Look at the quality of our bench compared to recent times.

A bigger, better quality squad will be costing more.

And you don't just look at one year's wages. Let's say you'd normally have a squad of 14 "clear first team quality". You've brought in some transfer money so you bring it up to 16. The two extra guys are signed on 3 year contracts at 3k a week. That's about £600K extra spending over 3 years, not counting transfer fees etc.

Figures purely illustrative of course.

Mek
18-08-2017, 12:28 PM
^^this. Baffled by this thread. For all their failings can't fault boards backing in this window IMO.

Guess some people are never happy. :)

Sure, theres probably some money still kicking around, but I doubt DM will spend it unless he finds a player who is actually good enough to play in the team. Maybe he is saving some for January, when better options might be available. To repeat OBI, I'm not sure what the point of this thread is. Its pretty clear where money has been spent this summer - just look at the bench during a game for a start.

rico94
18-08-2017, 12:40 PM
I would agree with OBI.

I think the board has backed the manager with the signings we made, we could easily have signed free transfers from lower league English teams and a few loan signings no one has ever heard of. I believe we were linked with a Welsh youngster from Fulham at one point so well done to the board for recognizing we had to replace the players who left with similar quality.

afc_1983
18-08-2017, 04:08 PM
I'm not unhappy with the level of investment in the team or the quality that has resulted in our squad. I thought I'd made that point. Nor do I necessarily think there's anything suspicious about the difference in figures that we've rumoured to have spent and those that we've reportedly had available - incidentally, it's clear that the information everyone is basing their assumptions on, including me, is incomplete and potentially unreliable.

However, it's almost as if any questioning of the club is taken as a personal slight by some fans. It's unquestioning loyalty that got Rangers to where they are now... So you'll forgive me if I point out some anomalies.

The point raised by one poster about funding for new players being made over more than 1 year is legitimate.

But again it just appears that there is a surplus from the Hayes money that has gone unspent.

In addition nobody seems to be factoring in the reduction in wage bill we saw at the end of last season when some key players moved on. Fair enough that we may now be exceeding the total wages we were spending last year with the new players we have on board, but to the tune of 500k extra?

What about the additional income from European games, the revenue from reaching the two cup finals and finishing second, and the record season ticket sales? Would that not fund the extra we've maybe needed to put aside to cover the growing wage bill?

These are all legitimate questions to ask - it's unclear exactly where Cormack's investment fits in to this, and so until we get more clarity it's legitimate to query what the club is saying. It's not anti-AFC to do so. It's just perfectly healthy in fact.

sheepcrooky
18-08-2017, 04:21 PM
Lots to factor on in.

Just as we would not have received all the Hayes money up front, likewise we would not have paid the May money in a oner. Maybe the GMS fee would have been offset.
All the players coming in would have received a signing on fee.
VAT has a big effect on football club finances.

Unless you are "in the know", we will never fully understand the machinations of a football clubs' finances.

Debate and challenge is always healthy, but I doubt we will ever know.

Derek in the P&J today saying he has now spent his budget, so I guess that is it.

Jupiter
18-08-2017, 05:12 PM
Wait until the next set of accounts come out, then we'll see where all the money went.

foreveradon
18-08-2017, 05:54 PM
If our manager confirms he has spent the money I have no reason to doubt him

I can't remember a better transfer window for us for a very long time

Its not often we can lose the likes of Hayes and McGinn and arguably say we now have a stronger team now than we did last season

Defo a much stronger looking squad anyway

Happy days

COYR

Aldo1983
18-08-2017, 05:58 PM
I can't believe people are questioning where the money went. Paying actual money for players and having two of our best players sign extended deals seems decent enough to me.

WatsonNimrod
18-08-2017, 06:03 PM
Yeah I think its a bit harsh, years and years have gone by when we relied on the dregs of the diddy English leagues on frees or loans.

Aldo1983
18-08-2017, 06:06 PM
Plus there's a stadium to pay for...probably the last season we will have signing players for actual money.

DonVincenzo (The II)
18-08-2017, 06:22 PM
Jesus ƒucking christ, some of you lot need to get a life and remember were all on the same side.COYR
No wonder this place is like a ƒucking morgue.

:zzz:

sheepcrooky
18-08-2017, 06:28 PM
Jesus ƒucking christ, some of you lot need to get a life and remember were all on the same side.COYR
No wonder this place is like a ƒucking morgue.

:zzz:

To be fair DVII, don't think anyone is actually complaining, more questioning. Pretty sure all of us are happy with the way the squad has evolved.

Pacman1903
18-08-2017, 07:00 PM
Given how the squad has shaped up after a major exodus and the fact we have potentially bettered our squad from last season, I don't think we can point any fingers at the board (I'm no Milne sympathiser by any stretch). With the players in and the extensions handed out I doubt we could have done much better and been reasonably careful with the money from the Jonnythehorriblehobbitpig transfer. The fee received has gone a lot further than I would have expected. We are not a spending club and I would say its been an excellent window with 3 players signed for money, Maynard, Arnie, May and GMS would be on good money and would also have been given a decent signing on fee each.

We are not going to be signing w@nk city rejects for a fortune or random who are you Colombians from Finland for money. We are not in a position to be splashing loads of cash

I don't know what some folks expectations are.

Jupiter
18-08-2017, 07:04 PM
As usual there is too much moaning on here, the transfer window has turned out better than I expected. It would be even better if we got rid of the donkey Stockley.