PDA

View Full Version : Deid (ex goalie edition)

EdmontonDandy
18-08-2017, 07:34 PM
Deid at 78, John "Tubby" Ogston. Was oor goalie early sixties before signing for Liverpool and then Doncaster. Slightly before my time, but only just. RIP min.

Pacman1903
18-08-2017, 07:47 PM
RIP min.

A minutes applause for 2 tommorow

sheepcrooky
18-08-2017, 08:27 PM
Even before my time. But a well respected goalie. RIP min.

57vintage
18-08-2017, 11:12 PM
Before even my time attending, although I remember him from the news reports of the time.

Page 172 of Eddie Turnbull's biog Having A Ball gives the inside griff about Ogston's move to Anfield.

dons8321
19-08-2017, 07:31 AM
Before even my time attending, although I remember him from the news reports of the time.

Page 172 of Eddie Turnbull's biog Having A Ball gives the inside griff about Ogston's move to Anfield.

RIP Tubby. Good goalie - saw a lot of him (and there was a lot of him) when I first started watching the Dons.

EintrachtFrankfurt
19-08-2017, 09:43 AM
RIP to another ex Don.

DollyLongstaffe
19-08-2017, 12:07 PM
Main thing I remember about Tubby is he had a reputation for saving penalties - I think at one time he might have saved several in a row? Stattos will be able to improve on my imperfect childhood memories. When Bobby Clark took over he was considered an upgrade overall, modern keeper who could actually play a bit and liked to throw the ball out to a team-mate instead of just punting it up the park - a bit of an innovation at the time. Scotland international as well. But Clark hardly ever saved a pen. He was known for not bothering to dive towards a shot if he thought he had no chance or it was missing the target, and very occasionally got it wrong and stood stock still while a saveable one went in. Unlike Tubby, he never looked like he remotely fancied his chances with penalties.

TubbyOgston52
19-08-2017, 05:16 PM
When growing up in Dyce in the early 60's and being a budding goalie Tubby was my hero. He was fearless and I remember a game when he played with a broken finger and to me he became a man of legend. Here he is standing next to another legend Ally Shewan.

Aldo1983
19-08-2017, 08:08 PM
Main thing I remember about Tubby is he had a reputation for saving penalties - I think at one time he might have saved several in a row? Stattos will be able to improve on my imperfect childhood memories. When Bobby Clark took over he was considered an upgrade overall, modern keeper who could actually play a bit and liked to throw the ball out to a team-mate instead of just punting it up the park - a bit of an innovation at the time. Scotland international as well. But Clark hardly ever saved a pen. He was known for not bothering to dive towards a shot if he thought he had no chance or it was missing the target, and very occasionally got it wrong and stood stock still while a saveable one went in. Unlike Tubby, he never looked like he remotely fancied his chances with penalties.

Not sure of the stars but my old man reckons he never let in a penalty. Find it hard to believe but he's convinced.

Pacman1903
19-08-2017, 08:41 PM
When growing up in Dyce in the early 60's and being a budding goalie Tubby was my hero. He was fearless and I remember a game when he played with a broken finger and to me he became a man of legend. Here he is standing next to another legend Ally Shewan.

F@cking unit of a man