PDA

View Full Version : Wood .. done deal !

Turfmoorspirit
18-08-2017, 11:14 PM
Oh well ! http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/burnley-land-leeds-hotshot-chris-11013939

warminsterclaret
18-08-2017, 11:46 PM
Excellent news. Welcome Chris!

Norder
18-08-2017, 11:58 PM

if true....and Wood now plays for us - I should be excited....Wow - we bagged a big goalscorer from the Championship, Happy Days.

.....problem is - I don't yet feel anything positive.....he poached loads last season - and from what i've seen, was allowed into a goalscoring position unchecked for most of them....poor defending. Will he get away with that at this level ?
So...other than wait for the ball near goal - what else can he do - what of his other skills....I Dont Know - so can only wait to be amazed by his 20+ goals to come.

;D

warminsterclaret
19-08-2017, 12:11 AM
Lineker was a poacher.

Norder
19-08-2017, 12:16 AM
Lineker was a poacher.

.....as was Jimmy Grieves and as are many others - and they get goals....the cheap and ugly way.

thing is...I like nothing more than seeing them shut out of a game.

;D

Altobelli
19-08-2017, 12:22 AM

if true....and Wood now plays for us - I should be excited....Wow - we bagged a big goalscorer from the Championship, Happy Days.

.....problem is - I don't yet feel anything positive.....he poached loads last season - and from what i've seen, was allowed into a goalscoring position unchecked for most of them....poor defending. Will he get away with that at this level ?
So...other than wait for the ball near goal - what else can he do - what of his other skills....I Dont Know - so can only wait to be amazed by his 20+ goals to come.

;D

Gray was the same in the Championship yet found wanting in in the PL, Wood I fear will be the same, Spirit you have sent me to bed a little sad as I wanted Andone.

warminsterclaret
19-08-2017, 12:25 AM
I wonder if Dyche is going to bed a little sad also. I doubt it.

Norder
19-08-2017, 01:06 AM
Gray was the same in the Championship yet found wanting in in the PL, Wood I fear will be the same, Spirit you have sent me to bed a little sad as I wanted Andone.

....oh there's a positive Alto - Wood has better ball control than Gray had !!!

....and even so, many still complained that Gray didn't get fed the perfect ball....there's a problem - you make play around a poacher, then there's more fail area around the (obvious) target - can stop the balls getting to them and/or stop them from getting the ball.
But the more skill a player has....the more unexpected, less obvious and full of surprise he is - balls can come in from anywhere - or they can take them in themselves....makes special from nothing - and harder for any team to defend against....is the the preferred option, Imho.

....also hope were still looking at an Andone or the like - not going to end our goal hunt with Wood I hope.

;D

The Bedlington Terrier
19-08-2017, 06:23 AM
I told you all on Tuesday that this deal was going to happen. :D

It's not like you did not have time to prepare yourselves for the arrival of a twenty goal a season international striker.

Mighty Leeds done again! ;D

In Dyche We Trust
19-08-2017, 06:37 AM
Time will tell if he turns out a turkey or not- we all lnew that Burnley was never a place that those other 2 foreigners would come so we left with a risky sam vokes mark 2-

didnt excite me much either and SD has previous in picking duff strikers

saffron1967
19-08-2017, 08:11 AM
another big striker going long ball. THATS WHY DYCHE IS HAVING PITCH NARROWED 1 YARD ETHIER SIDE

In Dyche We Trust
19-08-2017, 08:19 AM
youd think he wsnt a bit of width to get crosses in and let Wardy have another go at a screamer-

1972Claret
19-08-2017, 08:46 AM
another big striker going long ball. THATS WHY DYCHE IS HAVING PITCH NARROWED 1 YARD ETHIER SIDE

Is that true?

The Bedlington Terrier
19-08-2017, 08:54 AM
We are not exactly renowned for giving it plenty of width. Congest the midfield, deny the opposition space, press high up the pitch and narrow the width of the playing surface.

Sounds like a plan to me! :D

saffron1967
19-08-2017, 08:57 AM
Yes its true we work with the groundstaff we service there machinery for maintaining the pitch

sinkov
19-08-2017, 10:20 AM
Some strikers make the step up, some don't, only one way to find out. And if he doesn't no problem, we've just made a profit on one who couldn't make the step up, and the way this market is moving we can always cash in on Wood as well, if need be.

jiggles
19-08-2017, 10:44 AM
Please no ! We've got our big lump up front already. Surely we have the money to buy a Premiership quality footballer. We've got to watch this stuff.

thedonz
19-08-2017, 11:31 AM
When I first heard we might be in for Woods I was underwhelmed. Those 2 awful sitters he missed at the Turf overrode his great record last season . Maybe too harsh and dismissive?
During the last week or so I'm more optimistic , having got the idea that he is lumbering out of my head and listening to other viewpoints.

It's a big fee for the club, which they can comfortably afford during these heady Premier League times. And of course his wages fit in nicely within our budget.

Put me in the excited category , hoping my initial instincts will be prove wrong

ClaretinBudapest
19-08-2017, 12:00 PM
Chris Wood 15m+ add-ons or Jay Rodriguez 12m.It is a no brainer,there is something definitely wrong with our recruitment team.

sinkov
19-08-2017, 12:13 PM
Chris Wood 15m+ add-ons or Jay Rodriguez 12m.It is a no brainer,there is something definitely wrong with our recruitment team.

When you add on what we will be paying Wood, compared to what WBA are paying Jay, over a four year contract Wood works out much cheaper.

Altobelli
19-08-2017, 12:25 PM

I'm guessing but I'd say there is a lot wrong with our recruitment team, couple that with maybe Dyche not liking adventurous play in the final third and to mind set on the defence.

When you add on what we will be paying Wood, compared to what WBA are paying Jay, over a four year contract Wood works out much cheaper.

That's probably true Sinkov, so do we still want cheap over dear, which (we have yet to see) equals a reasonable player or one with potency.

oldcolner
19-08-2017, 12:41 PM

What are his wages, I saw £50k a week quoted by one paper, but surely never that high?

According to The Mirror, Wood is currently earning £15,000-a-week as Leeds’ top earner. According to the report in The Sun today, Burnley will offer the striker improved wages of around £50,000-a-week. This means that if he signs for Burnley, Wood will more than triple his current wages.

Altobelli
19-08-2017, 12:53 PM
I thought the carrot that got Wood here was the Premier League, if he was on £15,000 a week then pay him £25,000 for the first year with a view to increase it, £50,000 seems to much.

ClaretinBudapest
19-08-2017, 01:00 PM

Yes but Jay is a Burnley lad and a proven PL striker with 15 goals in one season.

In Dyche We Trust
19-08-2017, 01:10 PM
buy cheap buy twice

The Bedlington Terrier
19-08-2017, 05:26 PM
Rodriguez was s h i t e today. We are living in the past with this constant eulogising of a former player. Stop it please and move on?

If he had wanted to come and SD thought it a good move he would be here. He isn't and it wasn't.

sinkov
19-08-2017, 11:40 PM
What are his wages, I saw £50k a week quoted by one paper, but surely never that high?

According to The Mirror, Wood is currently earning £15,000-a-week as Leeds’ top earner. According to the report in The Sun today, Burnley will offer the striker improved wages of around £50,000-a-week. This means that if he signs for Burnley, Wood will more than triple his current wages.

Jay's on £60k a week at WBA, I'd be surprised if Wood will be on anything approaching £50k a week with us.

The Bedlington Terrier
21-08-2017, 12:12 PM
Deal done. £15 million wired to Dirty Weeds today. £3 million more to go in add-ons!

That's already £22 million we have sent to Elland Road in less than a month. Enough already!

At this rate we are going to have to open the Dry Powder Room door! Anyway welcome to Turf Moor Chris. :D

Supersub6
21-08-2017, 01:01 PM
Good luck to Chris Wood in his new venture with the Clarets.
Just a word about Jay Rod --his father was a guest in the Foundation Club on Saturday and was answering questions about his own limited career and also about Jay. He told us that Jay had worked extremely hard to get back to where he is now after his ACL injury. He had had lots of complications, including a virus infection and had spent one night in intensive care because he was so ill. He lost a lot of weight and he had needed to do a lot of work to build himself up again. It seems that he had really suffered and has shown great determination to get back to where he is. I certainly wish him well at WBA.

ClaretinBudapest
21-08-2017, 01:01 PM
15m + 3m add-ons for a Championship striker.We must be bonkers.I pray to god we have some more attacking players coming because from what I can see he is more of the same with Vokes,Barnes and Walters.
I think this could really be a calamitous mistake.We only bid 13m Euros(circa £11.8m)for a proven La Liga striker FFS.I hope I am proved wrong but this does not strengthen our team or give us other options.

george_kaplan
21-08-2017, 02:03 PM

;D

......in a nutshell mate. As you all know the gulf between our league and the prem? LUFC have pocketed a hefty load of cash for him. Well pleased I'm guessing. Good luck to him, he's going to need it.

oldcolner
21-08-2017, 02:20 PM
Will wear 11

https://mobile.twitter.com/BurnleyOfficial/status/899609599631921154?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fboards.footymad.net%2Fshowthr ead.php%3Ft%3D38199901%26page%3D2

The Bedlington Terrier
21-08-2017, 02:27 PM
He has the will. He has the character. He has the skill. He knows where the net is and he wanted to come to Burnley.

I'm glad he is here and I wish him all of the very best. :D

In Dyche We Trust
21-08-2017, 02:43 PM
Gray knew where the net was in the championship but lost his sat nav in the PL- Wood is un-proven in the PL and so is a thumbs down from me at that price.. Hope he doesbt turn out to be another Hennings.......

The Bedlington Terrier
21-08-2017, 02:53 PM
Let's just rejoice and be happy? :D

Little bet going if anyone wants it. I'm going with a ten goals minimum for Wood scored for Burnley in the EPL by the end of the season game against Bournemouth at home.

Rev72
21-08-2017, 03:04 PM
Thank you very much Burnley Football Club. :D

That is 2 players who refused to play for the club who you have taken off our hands now..and for some serious wonga as well B)

In Dyche We Trust
21-08-2017, 03:09 PM

Little bet going if anyone wants it. I'm going with a ten goals minimum for Wood scored for Burnley in the EPL by the end of the season game against Bournemouth at home.

For £15m plus I am looking at 20 goals as a minimum or it will be a complete waste- Oh how Leeds are laughing all the way to the bank.....

Turfmoorspirit
21-08-2017, 03:16 PM
Thank you very much Burnley Football Club. :D

That is 2 players who refused to play for the club who you have taken off our hands now..and for some serious wonga as well B) Yep ! Whats not to like..:)

Turfmoorspirit
21-08-2017, 03:18 PM

Little bet going if anyone wants it. I'm going with a ten goals minimum for Wood scored for Burnley in the EPL by the end of the season game against Bournemouth at home. Make it 12 goals min £20.

In Dyche We Trust
21-08-2017, 03:21 PM
we have paid a club record fee for a player who, in his own words....

"I've had tastes of being in there but I've never had the chance to give it a proper bash," said the former West Brom youngster. "Coming here I feel I've got a proper opportunity to do that. I'VE NEVER STARTED A PREMIER LEAGUE GAME and this is what I want to do.

Ever felt mugged in broad daylight ?

george_kaplan
21-08-2017, 03:45 PM
He has the will. He has the character. He has the skill. He knows where the net is and he wanted to come to Burnley.

I'm glad he is here and I wish him all of the very best. :D

Well what he doesn't have is the respect for a club who pays his wages, by refusing to play, what does that tell you about a player you have just paid a small fortune for? He only "wanted" to come to your club when you showed interest in him.....could have been any club, believe me.....don't get caught up in the BS. Maybe your manager (who I like) will get something out of him, who knows. I do know LUFC will be more then happy with the crazy amount your club have just given them.

Norder
21-08-2017, 03:50 PM
......in a nutshell mate. As you all know the gulf between our league and the prem? LUFC have pocketed a hefty load of cash for him. Well pleased I'm guessing. Good luck to him, he's going to need it.

...on the plus side Kap - he is accurate - can put a ball where it's supposed to go - between the posts....which is something were desperately in need of.
And true...it is to be questioned, how close many PL sides are to Championship level...that could help us, that is, them not seeing the obvious...so allowing a prowlers to snatch the goals...But I see when Bournmouth were behind, Howe threw on the 20mil Defoe in their last two games (Watford&Brom) with about thirty minutes to go....hoping for him to make the poach - which he failed to do in either.
Vardy scored a couple against Arsenal...that amazed me - him slinking through twice..though nothing against Brighton - but he is a wiley one...and a much different shape and size than the hefty Wood.

....I sure hope he can do something - but like most on here - am the same....it's a Big question mark at the moment.

;D

so you don't feel all alone BT....have some fireworks.

https://media.giphy.com/media/26tOZ42Mg6pbTUPHW/giphy.gif

:D

Supersub6
21-08-2017, 04:27 PM
I love the way that Burnley fans always write off any new signings before they have even kicked a ball in anguish for the club.
Was he a player who was wanted by the boss? Whose job is on the line if he doesn't deliver the goods? Was it a crazy price these days --remember Ross McCormack --and that was three years ago.
As far as Leeds fans thoughts --enjoy another year in the Championship where you will be Marching on Together and delivering the inane chant of You're Not Leeds --how grateful we are for that.

baggieal
21-08-2017, 04:36 PM

Hope Wood works for you - really mean this! For me, when he was at West Brom he was nothing but a lump up front with no quality or real pace. He did know where the net was though, but that was the championship where chances come more frequently.

From the showing so far, Jay is an absolute steal if he can stay injury free, and a bargain compared to Wood. Not only does he know where the net is - he's quick and got grace and quality which a lump can lack.

In Dyche We Trust
21-08-2017, 04:42 PM
you cant generalise SS- i was happy we signed Gray when we did and Keane but had reservations about Arfield and Barton. SD is an astute manager but prone to the odd error of judgement in Hennings certainly- Looks like there are two Wood camps- one that wants him and the other that doesnt- time will tell how good he is in the PL but a couple of cluns had him but let him go without him starting a game- read into that what you will

ClaretinBudapest
21-08-2017, 05:04 PM
you cant generalise SS- i was happy we signed Gray when we did and Keane but had reservations about Arfield and Barton. SD is an astute manager but prone to the odd error of judgement in Hennings certainly- Looks like there are two Wood camps- one that wants him and the other that doesnt- time will tell how good he is in the PL but a couple of cluns had him but let him go without him starting a game- read into that what you will

If that is the case you risk 7-8m not 15m+3m add-ons.

Rev72
21-08-2017, 05:21 PM
I love the way that Burnley fans always write off any new signings before they have even kicked a ball in anguish for the club.
Was he a player who was wanted by the boss? Whose job is on the line if he doesn't deliver the goods? Was it a crazy price these days --remember Ross McCormack --and that was three years ago.
As far as Leeds fans thoughts --enjoy another year in the Championship where you will be Marching on Together and delivering the inane chant of You're Not Leeds --how grateful we are for that.

Awww bless :heart:

In Dyche We Trust
21-08-2017, 05:35 PM
exactly my thoughts CIB

ClaretinBudapest
21-08-2017, 05:54 PM
exactly my thoughts CIB

Andone looked more like the player we need to me but I am not the BFC manager.....I hope it works for SD but I think he has dropped a clanger with this one.He seems way behind Eddie Howe on making good transfers.

The Bedlington Terrier
21-08-2017, 08:58 PM
Lots of sore losers suddenly appearing on here...B)

Wood is a Burnley player now, move on and get over it!

alfinyalcabo
21-08-2017, 09:01 PM
Not sure on this signing ,but will give Dyche the benefit of the doubt ..Like George Kap says ,he did himself no favours by refusing to play ..Persoally,I wouldn't have paid so much for him..As far as I'm concerned he's just a decent championship payer .. Time will tell..

sinkov
21-08-2017, 10:03 PM
He seems way behind Eddie Howe on making good transfers.

Would that be the same Eddie Howe who signed Marvin Bartley, George Porter, Brian Stock, Zavon Hines, Danny Lafferty, Luke O'Neil, Jon Stewart and the biggest waster ever seen in a Burnley shirt, Keith Treacy ? While just two Dyche signings have made us £35m profit this summer. He seems way in front of Eddie Howe to me.

In Dyche We Trust
22-08-2017, 06:01 AM
who is keith treacy ?

sinkov
22-08-2017, 08:02 AM
who is keith treacy ?

The biggest waster ever seen in a Burnley shirt.

The Bedlington Terrier
22-08-2017, 08:13 AM
I think IDWT was being ironic! :(

sinkov
22-08-2017, 08:17 AM
Too early in the morning for irony BT, and imo it's hard to forget Keith, could have been a class player for us, incredibly talented, but he couldn't be arsed.

The Bedlington Terrier
22-08-2017, 08:22 AM
He is the classic example of just "couldn't be arsed". That's Treacy not IDWT!

Once went to Peterborough, he smashed one in the top corner and then went "Sod it!" and stopped playing. We lost 2-1.

Altobelli
22-08-2017, 11:27 AM
The biggest waster ever seen in a Burnley shirt.

There have been many of those Sinkov, Steve Blatherwick and Ford and a few other's Stan said would never wear the Burnley shirt again.

sinkov
22-08-2017, 04:37 PM
Oh aye, there have been a few Alto, I'm not sure any as talented as our Keith though. Just after we signed him I met someone who'd been at Blackburn when he was coming through their system, and knew him quite well. I said I thought he was a good signing for us and he laughed, he said we'd be very impressed for the first few games, but after 6 months we'd be asking wtf is he doing here, what idiot signed him.

And he was spot on, 100% spot on, he knew Keith alright. I believe Eddie was aware of the risk he was taking but reckoned he could sort him out. He couldn't, Sean tried, but he couldn't either.