PDA

View Full Version : New striker

norfolk white
19-08-2017, 01:47 PM
Now wood is off to join Taylor at the powerhouse of football, Burnley, who is available to replace him at such short notice, thanks wood/dyche for sodden up our plans for the seasons start,.?.??.McCormack been touted, nahki wells available, this guy from Hamburg has gone quiet?

gupt13
19-08-2017, 01:56 PM
Imagine McCormack with the service he'll get from the flanks, he'll bag plenty and on loan too! Not your typical loanee as he's Leeds so will be up for it.
Wells is good and the German guy could very well prove to be a good target man alongside a quality striker like McCormack.
Why not all 3? Certainly choices to be had. Could Saiz be a decent partner for Ross?

norfolk white
19-08-2017, 02:03 PM
Although I didn't like how McCormack left, I feel cellino was as much to blame as McCormack, I really liked the guy, his control and pace was superb, his eye for goal and his passion couldn't be faulted, likewise with the service saiz, alioski, and Hernandez can give he'd bag a hatfull, if fit.

CLIVETHELEEDSFAN
19-08-2017, 02:42 PM
No to mccontract, no to Wells, we are only getting 15 instead of 20, must spend on QUALITY, not average or has beens

Silentman
19-08-2017, 02:48 PM
I suspect, in line with our vfm budget approach, that it will be someone from abroad, possibly Spain? :O

norfolk white
19-08-2017, 02:58 PM
How can you spend on quality Clive if uv'e only got 15 million, someone from abroad takes time to adjust, yet another season of transition then.

LeedsFTW
19-08-2017, 03:06 PM
Would love to see us sign Marcus Gayle, just knows how to score goals.

Can't see Newcastle or Gayle being interested though, think transfer fee would be manageable but wages would be too high I would guess.

joellufcprice
19-08-2017, 03:13 PM
McCormack? seriously?

I'll start scouting league one grounds if he is what our fans want.

bathlad61
19-08-2017, 03:19 PM
surely a large " target man " type player would be needed, as we only have Eckuban who can play that role, or offer something different if required.
Alloiski / Saiz / Hernandez all skilful, but lightweight - McCormack / Wells, similar, but could work well in a front two, along side a ball winner.

norfolk white
19-08-2017, 04:23 PM
Jordan Rhodes daily express has quoted apparently.

Billyni
19-08-2017, 08:05 PM
Whats Charlie Austin at these days?

Silentman
19-08-2017, 08:10 PM
surely a large " target man " type player would be needed, as we only have Eckuban who can play that role, or offer something different if required.
Alloiski / Saiz / Hernandez all skilful, but lightweight - McCormack / Wells, similar, but could work well in a front two, along side a ball winner.

I've always maintained we play better football without Wood as when he plays it forces us to play only one way, look at how much more threatening we were today running on to defenders; I hope we don't go for another target man personally.

Silentman
19-08-2017, 08:10 PM
Whats Charlie Austin at these days?

Southampton

Billyni
19-08-2017, 09:09 PM
Southampton

Actually i got a bit confused , i meant Danny Ings.

CalverleyBoy
19-08-2017, 09:45 PM
I've always maintained we play better football without Wood as when he plays it forces us to play only one way, look at how much more threatening we were today running on to defenders; I hope we don't go for another target man personally.

I liked the way Wells played alongside Hanson at Bfud, he is one of those sneaky little gits who picks up the fallout balls. I think we should have grabbed him from Bfud a few years back; after today's game I think we have people in already who can do a similar job.

CalverleyBoy
19-08-2017, 09:46 PM

That's nearly as bad as confusing Wolves with Notts forest

joellufcprice
19-08-2017, 09:52 PM

You can find Danny Ings in your local a&e unit in Liverpool.

WTF11
19-08-2017, 09:54 PM
If today is anything to go by, why do we need a Wood replacement? Yes I said it would be difficult, with time and suitable candidates issues, but if we can perform like we did today, why would you?

NottsWhite
19-08-2017, 10:07 PM
Won't be McCormack.....Too many bins full in lay-by's nr Leeds !

ColombianWhite
19-08-2017, 10:22 PM
Hugill -PNE
Zohore -Cardiff
Olivera -Budgies
Enrich -Eibar
worth considering
MOT
😆

gupt13
20-08-2017, 12:21 AM
If today is anything to go by, why do we need a Wood replacement? Yes I said it would be difficult, with time and suitable candidates issues, but if we can perform like we did today, why would you?

Cant argue with that other than to say the new guys are still gelling, I hope they continue to improve and impress. They'll definitely flag though as the pace they're playing at will take its toll.

Any new players will equally need to gell, that's why I like the thought of a proven player at this level (yes Joel, seriously, McCormack on a loan is a no brainer for me. He's Leeds and he'll get unrivalled chances flying in from all sides with these new guys cooking on gas).
I'd welcome with open arms any foreign additions our scouts unearth too. The more the merrier if they're of the quality we've already poached.

BelfastAndy
20-08-2017, 02:04 AM

Lol

Blackspaven
20-08-2017, 12:07 PM
Yup, like Gupt said, team looked more complete today, first time for a while, so not gonna be too distraught if we don't rush out as I reckon Saiz and Ekuban (if he's not injured) and possible Alioski might cope there. Get the right man, not a panic buy!

Online is touting Oli McBurnie as a possibility. Possibly good one for the future as well as right now if he's any cop. Anyone seen/heard of him??

CLIVETHELEEDSFAN
20-08-2017, 12:30 PM
Mcburnie played for Bradford

joellufcprice
20-08-2017, 01:01 PM

Because we've got no strikers......

joellufcprice
20-08-2017, 01:03 PM
Cant argue with that other than to say the new guys are still gelling, I hope they continue to improve and impress. They'll definitely flag though as the pace they're playing at will take its toll.

Any new players will equally need to gell, that's why I like the thought of a proven player at this level (yes Joel, seriously, McCormack on a loan is a no brainer for me. He's Leeds and he'll get unrivalled chances flying in from all sides with these new guys cooking on gas).
I'd welcome with open arms any foreign additions our scouts unearth too. The more the merrier if they're of the quality we've already poached.

Tell me one thing McCormack has done since he left us that makes you think he is good enough to come back to us.

Better yet, identify me a season McCormack has played in for any team in which they've finished in the playoffs.

joellufcprice
20-08-2017, 01:03 PM
Hugill -PNE
Zohore -Cardiff
Olivera -Budgies
Enrich -Eibar
worth considering
MOT
😆

I'd take Oliveria in a heart beat

CLIVETHELEEDSFAN
20-08-2017, 01:14 PM
Sergi Enrich looked decent in the friendly against us, might be worth a punt

joellufcprice
20-08-2017, 01:30 PM
Sergi Enrich looked decent in the friendly against us, might be worth a punt

Did he? Don't even remember him playing against us tbh

WTF11
20-08-2017, 01:51 PM
Because we've got no strikers......

Saiz isn't a striker? Hattrick and scores/provides, what more do you want from a striker (or do you mean he's not 6'4" and built like a brick sh1thouse?)?

WTF11
20-08-2017, 01:52 PM
Tell me one thing McCormack has done since he left us that makes you think he is good enough to come back to us.

Better yet, identify me a season McCormack has played in for any team in which they've finished in the playoffs.

We agree on something then😉

gupt13
20-08-2017, 03:53 PM
Just because he hasn't been in a team that's been in the play offs doesn't make him a bad striker or a poor choice, his career average is 1 in 3 and he's only 31, yes he'll be 1/2 a yard slower but his talent added to the supply he'll get get from the new flair players will equal a decent tally of goals I'm certain. Plus he won't cost a fee, what's to lose? He has talent without a doubt and is a Leeds supporter, how does that make him a poor option?
I'm sure we'll add another one or two and I don't think we'll bring tack in either.

WTF11
20-08-2017, 04:31 PM
Just because he hasn't been in a team that's been in the play offs doesn't make him a bad striker or a poor choice, his career average is 1 in 3 and he's only 31, yes he'll be 1/2 a yard slower but his talent added to the supply he'll get get from the new flair players will equal a decent tally of goals I'm certain. Plus he won't cost a fee, what's to lose? He has talent without a doubt and is a Leeds supporter, how does that make him a poor option?
I'm sure we'll add another one or two and I don't think we'll bring tack in either.

Ah, McCormack you mean! ;D

I think its as much the manner of his departure that makes it hard to accept him back, kissing the badge one minute and Fulhams bum-hole the next, and since then right royally underperformed (if his last season at Leeds is supposed to be a yardstick of what he is capable of of course).

Anyway, as said by others, why rush into something when we have a strike partnership like Alioski and Saiz, with Dallas, Hernandez and others to give assistance and options?

pilgrimwhite
20-08-2017, 07:09 PM
Jordan Rhodes daily express has quoted apparently.

Leeds United have made a bid for Sheffield Wednesday forward Jordan Rhodes. Believed to be around £10m

Silentman
20-08-2017, 07:32 PM
Olivera for me, not a target man, knows where the back of the net is, instinctive poacher. Been out of favour at Norwich but seems to be coming back into the fold in recent matches unfortunately. Otherwise I'd take Wells, I think he'd fit well with our formation and he needs something to re-energise him like a move to us would.

Silentman
20-08-2017, 07:33 PM
Leeds United have made a bid for Sheffield Wednesday forward Jordan Rhodes. Believed to be around £10m

FFS he was OK a few seasons back but give him a banjo and point him at a cow's ar5e now and he'd miss.

norfolk white
20-08-2017, 08:03 PM
He always scores against us, if he signs keep him out of our penalty box defending......😁😁

CLIVETHELEEDSFAN
21-08-2017, 12:39 AM
Enrich scored one and assisted one vs us

joellufcprice
21-08-2017, 02:45 AM
Saiz isn't a striker? Hattrick and scores/provides, what more do you want from a striker (or do you mean he's not 6'4" and built like a brick sh1thouse?)?

Saiz is an attacking midfielder who gets his goals from shooting outside the box, arriving late etc. He isn't a striker, if you play him there he wouldn't be as effective as it is a completely different role just like Frank Lampard would never have played up front for Chelsea nor Gerrard for Liverpool or David Silva for Man City or Coutinho for Liverpool.

If we played with Saiz as our main striker we'd essentially be playing with a false 9 which our players are nowhere near good enough to technically and tactically to be implementing.

We don't need a 6ft 4 striker, we need two strikers one who can play the hold the ball up role and a quick one to give us real options that then allows Alioski, Saiz, Hernandez, Roofe to do their thing and get goals the way their style of play allows them to.

joellufcprice
21-08-2017, 02:46 AM

*******s

españablanco73
21-08-2017, 06:47 AM
i think Roofe should be given a run there...

Jezleeds
21-08-2017, 10:04 AM
Interesting.

I think Roofe's a bit lightweight on the ball still to hold it up and play with his back to goal - he could do with bulking up a bit and doing the weights. Running in behind would be his strength up front. But i'm guessing you're not suggesting him being up there on his own.

Off a more powerful centre forward, he could develop into a Keegan-type box player i reckon.

A lot depends on the formation used i guess - my heart sank a bit on Saturday when i saw we set up with a lone striker again, but actually with Ekuban bringing other in, and actually having pacy wide players that can cross and/or run at players off the front men, it worked much better than last year.

españablanco73
21-08-2017, 10:59 AM
yes, i meant in a 442 maybe with the Duke who holds the ball up well imo.

Rev72
21-08-2017, 12:01 PM

I sincerely hope that is b0ll0cks

WTF11
21-08-2017, 12:47 PM
I sincerely hope that is b0ll0cks

So you, Joel, Silentman and I all agree on something, the world must be about to end!😉

Billyni
21-08-2017, 08:49 PM
Still 10 days left. Lots of time to get another 2nd rate untried foreigner.

LeedsFTW
22-08-2017, 09:14 AM
Being linked with Danny Ings on loan now, would be a high risk move considering he has had 2 consecutive, long term knee injuries.

whitestomper45
22-08-2017, 10:27 AM
There's been a few shouts for him and would be great to land him permanent or on loan...Shane Long (plus he's a white)

Rev72
22-08-2017, 11:28 AM
There's been a few shouts for him and would be great to land him permanent or on loan...Shane Long (plus he's a white)

Would be very happy with Shane Long.

joellufcprice
22-08-2017, 12:59 PM
yes, i meant in a 442 maybe with the Duke who holds the ball up well imo.

Roofe and Doukara in a 4-4-2? Good god no.

españablanco73
22-08-2017, 01:04 PM
whilst i fully understand that you know everything Joel, and that opinions contrary to your own are not valid, but please alude as to why not?
Doukara holds the ball up well and has a good goals to games ratio, and id expect Roofe to be able to play off him, im sure they could both look like better players now that they have some quality around them to provide the service that has been sadly lacking in the recent past.
Anyway, im sure you will tell us catagorically why im wrong.

Rev72
22-08-2017, 01:38 PM
Would seem the duke is on his way BB with Barnsley one of the clubs reported to be interested which probably means he won't play tonight.

jimmybn
22-08-2017, 03:46 PM
Its sad to see the Duke on his way out. Will remember him for "that goal" at ER and the effort he put in when given his chances.

Im sure whoever we get most of us on here will never of heard of them. Will be labelled by some as a "foreign nonentity" before even kicking a ball for the club

CLIVETHELEEDSFAN
22-08-2017, 03:51 PM
Thought rangers wanted doukara

joellufcprice
22-08-2017, 06:20 PM
whilst i fully understand that you know everything Joel, and that opinions contrary to your own are not valid, but please alude as to why not?
Doukara holds the ball up well and has a good goals to games ratio, and id expect Roofe to be able to play off him, im sure they could both look like better players now that they have some quality around them to provide the service that has been sadly lacking in the recent past.
Anyway, im sure you will tell us catagorically why im wrong.

Because he isn't good enough, he has had 3 years and other than a few good performances and that volley he has never put in a run of impressive games. His goalscoring record is 14 in 82, that is less than 1 in 5 so I'm not sure how you're stating that as good ratio? The times he has played up front for us in the past 3 years he has looked dreadful. I know people lost their panties when he scored that Volley, but one goal doesn't justify 3 years of inept, average performances.

españablanco73
22-08-2017, 07:02 PM
58 starts 18 goals Joel, but like i said mate, dont let my thoughts get in the way of your truths.:)

joellufcprice
22-08-2017, 08:04 PM
58 starts 18 goals Joel, but like i said mate, dont let my thoughts get in the way of your truths.:)

Whilst you are trying to play fast and loose with my stats, i notice you've not taken goals he scored as a sub off your total. So here are so irrefutable numbers that take into account everything.

He has played 5150 minutes of football for Leeds across all competitions in those he has scored 18 goals. That is a goal every 286 minutes, including playing against nonsense teams in the league and fa cup. In league football he has average a goal every 310 minutes.

In league football both including starts and subs he has a record of 14 in 82, if you add his cup goals in he has another 4 goals.

He is not good enough, his play proves it, his stats show it and the fact he is being shipped out shows it.

WTF11
22-08-2017, 08:46 PM
i think Roofe should be given a run there...

Did you have some kind of inside info? 😉