PDA

View Full Version : So what about these Chinese billionaire takeovers?

blades58
20-08-2017, 10:35 AM
Seems the failed Chinese consortium that tried to takeover Boro may have turned their attention to Barnsley and are apparently in advanced talks

What would be your thoughts be should we be targeted? We are a realistic target in my opinion because we are a potential prem club with infrastucture and fanbase and as the available list gets shorter with many of the larger clubs already under foreign ownership you would expect that sooner or later we will be on the radar

Better the devil you know?

Let's go for it because it's the only way we'll ever get back to the Prem?

http://boards.footymad.net/showthread.php?t=38199892

RonnieWaldock
20-08-2017, 10:56 AM
Just a personal opinion, but I would dislike it immensely if we ceased to be an "English" club with some local connection.
Yes I know that we are officially only 50% English, but the real control (i.e. the football bit) still remains with us. I have been a shareholder (albeit a minor one) for well over 40 years and I would wish that to continue right up to the time I conk out. I would like to think, my heirs would also like to have a part, however small, of the club we all support.

I think it would be a very sad day indeed, if the great, historical Sheffield United ever became just another set of figures on a foreign balance sheet.

FatherKnowsBest
20-08-2017, 11:55 AM
Even if foreign investment works out, and there are plenty of example where it hasn't, it entails the loss of the soul of the club. I think there is a pertinent question about who the club is for, who does it 'belong' to? We all know football is a big money business now, but there has to be roots and tradition, and a little bit of tribalism too. Otherwise we might as well all support Man Utd. Pick someone who's going to win something on a regular basis. Why the hell do we want to feel like we 'own' the club, like we 'belong' if its owners have no real connection to its traditions.

I feel United still 'belongs' to us. If I were an oiker(god forbid...) then I don't think I'd feel like that anymore. I'd feel like a customer, an exploited customer at that. As an example, what has Man City of today got to do with Man City of 20 years ago? Success sure, but at what cost?

I'm happy sticking with the ownership we have.

animallittle3
20-08-2017, 11:56 AM
This is the footballing world we live in , well meaning local businessmen haven't the money to keep my club at the level we historically enjoy .

The alternative is to become with all due respect a Chesterfield .

It's not what I want to see but I have to accept that this is an opportunity for my club to get a slice of the action , keep our better players and establish ourselves at this level and possibly higher .

Selling our best players is killing us on the pitch as highlighted yesterday .

We have to take our chances , we may not get another shot at this .

Carpe_diem
20-08-2017, 12:07 PM
Even if foreign investment works out, and there are plenty of example where it hasn't, it entails the loss of the soul of the club. I think there is a pertinent question about who the club is for, who does it 'belong' to? We all know football is a big money business now, but there has to be roots and tradition, and a little bit of tribalism too. Otherwise we might as well all support Man Utd. Pick someone who's going to win something on a regular basis. Why the hell do we want to feel like we 'own' the club, like we 'belong' if its owners have no real connection to its traditions.

I feel United still 'belongs' to us. If I were an oiker(god forbid...) then I don't think I'd feel like that anymore. I'd feel like a customer, an exploited customer at that. As an example, what has Man City of today got to do with Man City of 20 years ago? Success sure, but at what cost?

I'm happy sticking with the ownership we have.

Yes, I feel sorry for those poor Chelsea fans and all they've had to endure since Abramovich took over.

tomytony
20-08-2017, 12:09 PM
Be good to hear it straight from the horse's mouth so to speak

"think Riverpool not Man Cirree.................." :)

FatherKnowsBest
20-08-2017, 12:21 PM
Yes, I feel sorry for those poor Chelsea fans and all they've had to endure since Abramovich took over.

The ones who can't afford a ticket, you mean? Chelsea is another example where the club has lost its soul and its meaning. Is it still a football club, or a corporate vehicle in a crazy arms race over who can spend the most money.

GrayBlade
20-08-2017, 02:55 PM
Be good to hear it straight from the horse's mouth so to speak

"think Riverpool not Man Cirree.................." :)
I'm not sure it would be a good thing to be owned lock stock by foreigners who have no idea or interest in a club's culture, but I think it must be pretty clear by now that McCabe hasn't really actively looked to sell the club or his share of the club. Even the Prince's involvement came about due to a chance meeting in an airport lounge. For the record I think the Prince's contributions did help stabilise the club when things were looking a bit dodgy, but that's a million miles from what's needed to really take us forward so we can complete financially. I don't think him or McCabe have the financial clout to do that.

If you look at the list of clubs that have had major investment or new ownership since we were in the Premiership, it's beyond belief that potential owners or investors haven't come forward to take a look at us. We've got to be as good or better a bet to invest in as any club outside the very top clubs on the face of it with the ground (he owns) academy, set-up, history and support, it's all there waiting to kick on. So there can be really no other deduction to make IMO then McCabe and his family had and have no intention of selling the club (for whatever reason), and are hoping that in Wilder, they've now got a manager who can maintain our Championship status on a low end budget or even follow in the steps of David Wagner at Huddersfield. They'll be no planned promotion push anytime soon, it'll be suck it and see and hope that a team comes good like last season, or the two good seasons under Warnock. And for the record, it still wouldn't surprise me if we sell Brookes just before the deadline because we still haven't had our annual kick in the nuts.

Ayamonteblade
20-08-2017, 03:36 PM
I don't want Chinese owners, nor Thai Owners, nor American Owners, nor Indian Owners..............I want my team to remain British owned. For the few success stories, there are more horror stories.

Money isn't everything - and unless you have an absolute shedload, like Chelski/Citeh.........it doesn't buy you success.

Am happy with the way things are at the moment - and am happy to be patient and see how this season goes. Its good to be back in the Championship. We have a decent squad who play good football....they are finding their feet.

If and when they get back into the Premiership, under Chris Wilder, it will be worth the wait.

charliejoejohn2
20-08-2017, 03:40 PM
I agree!! Money isn't everything. I enjoyed the football at the lane more last season more than I have for a long time. It's time something was done about the amount of money being paid in the game. It's become ridiculous in my opinion. I know this much I love United and I've followed them since the early 1950s and there is no way I will pay the ridulous ticket prices fans are having to pay in the premiership and some in the championship. They can go have *** with theirselves!!!

seanbeanstattoo
20-08-2017, 04:13 PM
I want to be owned by a Swede. Preferably with big t i t s , long blonde hair and amazing legs.

Ayamonteblade
20-08-2017, 04:20 PM
I want to be owned by a Swede. Preferably with big t i t s , long blonde hair and amazing legs.

Bjorn Borg?

tomytony
20-08-2017, 04:23 PM
I'm not sure it would be a good thing to be owned lock stock by foreigners who have no idea or interest in a club's culture, but I think it must be pretty clear by now that McCabe hasn't really actively looked to sell the club or his share of the club. Even the Prince's involvement came about due to a chance meeting in an airport lounge. For the record I think the Prince's contributions did help stabilise the club when things were looking a bit dodgy, but that's a million miles from what's needed to really take us forward so we can complete financially. I don't think him or McCabe have the financial clout to do that.

If you look at the list of clubs that have had major investment or new ownership since we were in the Premiership, it's beyond belief that potential owners or investors haven't come forward to take a look at us. We've got to be as good or better a bet to invest in as any club outside the very top clubs on the face of it with the ground (he owns) academy, set-up, history and support, it's all there waiting to kick on. So there can be really no other deduction to make IMO then McCabe and his family had and have no intention of selling the club (for whatever reason), and are hoping that in Wilder, they've now got a manager who can maintain our Championship status on a low end budget or even follow in the steps of David Wagner at Huddersfield. They'll be no planned promotion push anytime soon, it'll be suck it and see and hope that a team comes good like last season, or the two good seasons under Warnock. And for the record, it still wouldn't surprise me if we sell Brookes just before the deadline because we still haven't had our annual kick in the nuts.

But when you are 50% foreign owned AND promised significant investment when regaining Champ status then all you do is raise expectations which, if, subsequently, you don't fulfil them, then you put yourself up there to be shot at.

Why even say it if you can't/won't /don't ( take your pick)have any intention of fulfilling those promises?

As for not wanting to sell, well, maybe the job for the boy clause or other unknown (to us) factors have prevented any bids coming to fruition or public knowledge.

Based on the this and like a couple of posters above maybe McC is ( easily)satisfied with where we are.

For me not to strive for for the very top of whatever you do is tacit to settling for second best and that 'easliy pleased' bracket is not one I would ever wish to be associated with, whtaever the aim, personal or anything else.

GrayBlade
20-08-2017, 04:27 PM
Yep I agree with Aya and CJJ, I wouldn't want to be owned outright by foreign owners who want to out-price some of the the core support and maybe change the club's traditional image, colours and kit etc.

I would definitely like us to have further investors onboard who can contribute like the Prince said he planned to look into once we were promoted though, whilst remaining at least partially British owned (as lest we forget we are right now Aya). Then at least we may have enough clout to fend off the 'big clubs' that ransack our best young players this time every year at least for a season or two.

seanbeanstattoo
20-08-2017, 04:33 PM
Bjorn Borg?

Don't remember Bjorn having huge t i t s Aya. Other than that yea,why not. I'm an all inclusive kinda guy.

seanbeanstattoo
20-08-2017, 04:35 PM
Yep I agree with Aya and CJJ, I wouldn't want to be owned outright by foreign owners who want to out-price some of the the core support and maybe change the club's traditional image, colours and kit etc.

I would definitely like us to have further investors onboard who can contribute like the Prince said he planned to look into once we were promoted though, whilst remaining at least partially British owned (as lest we forget we are right now Aya). Then at least we may have enough clout to fend off the 'big clubs' that ransack our best young players this time every year at least for a season or two.

I'd prefer to leave the dodgy overseas owners to the pigs. On their second on the spin. Not gone too well as far as I can see and it certainly ain't going to end well.
I prefer our very own local dodgy owner!

blades58
20-08-2017, 04:36 PM
Reading this article, could it be we aren't an attractive proposition due to the financial baggage attached to the two owners and how the club ownership is divided between them including the assets?

Where the dingles are concerned, any potential owner is dealing with one party who effectively owns the whole club and its assets

http://www.footymad.com/barnsley/news/tmnw/chinese_whispers_at_oakwell_910702/index.shtml

GrayBlade
20-08-2017, 04:50 PM
But when you are 50% foreign owned AND promised significant investment when regaining Champ status then all you do is raise expectations which, if, subsequently, you don't fulfil them, then you put yourself up there to be shot at.

Why even say it if you can't/won't /don't ( take your pick)have any intention of fulfilling those promises?

As for not wanting to sell, well, maybe the job for the boy clause or other unknown (to us) factors have prevented any bids coming to fruition or public knowledge.

Based on the this and like a couple of posters above maybe McC is ( easily)satisfied with where we are.

For me not to strive for for the very top of whatever you do is tacit to settling for second best and that 'easliy pleased' bracket is not one I would ever wish to be associated with, whtaever the aim, personal or anything else.

Unless of course you're doing well enough in your overall business empire and your other assets, so it means you don't have to strive too hard in one of them, but I don't believe that anybody would stick around as long as he has unless there was some advantage to be gained by him putting his hand in his pocket to keep the loss making part of his empire afloat.

GrayBlade
20-08-2017, 04:59 PM
I'd prefer to leave the dodgy overseas owners to the pigs. On their second on the spin. Not gone too well as far as I can see and it certainly ain't going to end well.
I prefer our very own local dodgy owner!

I'm hearing that they've commissioned a statue of Chancer for outside the Sty next year. Some Pigs are even thick enough to brag about being ripped off. Meanwhile my brother in law and his mate have stopped going after 50 years.

Ayamonteblade
20-08-2017, 05:00 PM
Don't remember Bjorn having huge t i t s Aya. Other than that yea,why not. I'm an all inclusive kinda guy.

not bad for 61

GrayBlade
20-08-2017, 05:05 PM
Reading this article, could it be we aren't an attractive proposition due to the financial baggage attached to the two owners and how the club ownership is divided between them including the assets?

Where the dingles are concerned, any potential owner is dealing with one party who effectively owns the whole club and its assets

http://www.footymad.com/barnsley/news/tmnw/chinese_whispers_at_oakwell_910702/index.shtml

That'd maybe explain it for the last 3 years but not since we were in the Prem. Still, we live in hope mate, for all we know the Prince will be as good as his word and it's just a matter of timescales.

tomytony
20-08-2017, 05:22 PM
Unless of course you're doing well enough in your overall business empire and your other assets, so it means you don't have to strive too hard in one of them, but I don't believe that anybody would stick around as long as he has unless there was some advantage to be gained by him putting his hand in his pocket to keep the loss making part of his empire afloat.

You'll have the 'accountants'descending on you now to tell you there are no advantages to owning SUFC that can or do affect the overall empire. :)

It's purely a selfless act of love,loyalty and support for his boyhood club, absolutely no other reason to stay involved, he just feels 'obliged' to look after us .................................................. ....and , maybe, himself?

Doff your cap, say 'thank you so much kind sir' ,he may be watching. :)

seanbeanstattoo
20-08-2017, 05:28 PM
Absolutely Aya. Reminds me of your mate Rod.
Except for the hair,the lack of moobs,no beer gut,ability to speak English !!! LOL.

FatherKnowsBest
20-08-2017, 05:29 PM

Speaking as one of the 'easily pleased', I'd say KevMc is in this because he sees the club as something he is custodian of. It like having a child. They will always find new ways to disappoint you but you keep bailing them out and you love them just the same.

As its Sunday, I think a verse from the Bible might be appropriate. Today's is Mathew 16:26 (paraphrased)

"What good will it be for a football club to gain the whole world, yet forfeit its soul?"

Ayamonteblade
20-08-2017, 05:41 PM
Except for the hair,the lack of moobs,no beer gut,ability to speak English !!! LOL.

XD Brilliant SBT - except in my eyes I've always imagined him to be a bit more like his namesake

blades58
20-08-2017, 05:45 PM
That'd maybe explain it for the last 3 years but not since we were in the Prem. Still, we live in hope mate, for all we know the Prince will be as good as his word and it's just a matter of timescales.

I hope so Gray

I'm very sceptical about a non blade billionaire taking over our beloved club

I'm more in the Aya camp

However, it's not difficult to see that a few bob investment spent in the right way could propel us to be contenders rather than making the numbers up and I'm also convinced CW is the man to do it

GrayBlade
20-08-2017, 05:45 PM
You've just wrecked a young lady's dream.

seanbeanstattoo
20-08-2017, 05:46 PM
XD Brilliant SBT - except in my eyes I've always imagined him to be a bit more like his namesake

Sadly not. I forgot to mention he sings like fingernails down a blackboard.

GrayBlade
20-08-2017, 05:50 PM
Speaking as one of the 'easily pleased', I'd say KevMc is in this because he sees the club as something he is custodian of. It like having a child. They will always find new ways to disappoint you but you keep bailing them out and you love them just the same.

As its Sunday, I think a verse from the Bible might be appropriate. Today's is Mathew 16:26 (paraphrased)

"What good will it be for a football club to gain the whole world, yet forfeit its soul?"

Very aptly put Father, although it wouldn't reallay apply to those from southern Barnsley as they all sold their souls to the dark side years ago.

Ayamonteblade
20-08-2017, 05:55 PM
Very aptly put Father, although it wouldn't reallay apply to those from southern Barnsley as they all sold their souls to the dark side years ago.

I thought he'd been on the communion wine Gray :D

FatherKnowsBest
20-08-2017, 06:28 PM

Bless you my child... I'll see you later for confession.

Holden_C
20-08-2017, 08:18 PM

Well some would rather than spout the absurd notion that somehow SUFC keeps Scarborough afloat than think things through.

I agree with your custodian comments but a return to the PL is the only chance of getting the money back. Carry on chucking large amounts at it and even that won't work, hence the cautionary, and frustrating for the fans, levels of spending. Plus the cash , which us what's needed,may not be there anymore for football spending.

Holden_C
20-08-2017, 08:19 PM
Bless you my child... I'll see you later for confession.

Rod won't like that sort of talk :)

Holden_C
20-08-2017, 08:19 PM

Pigs don't have souls.

FatherKnowsBest
20-08-2017, 08:28 PM
Pigs don't have souls.

We know. They sold them to the dark side years ago. D'uh...

XD

FatherKnowsBest
20-08-2017, 08:34 PM
... but a return to the PL is the only chance of getting the money back...

Thats my point. I don't think he ever wants his money back. I 'lend' my kids plenty of cash and never expect to see a penny back. I think he sees the club as something he need to preserve and nurture. Thats why we aren't going to see silly money thrown at it.

Ayamonteblade
20-08-2017, 08:38 PM

not sure I do either XD

FatherKnowsBest
20-08-2017, 08:39 PM

I'm waiting for him to pop in for a few Hail Marys, a couple of Our Fathers, and light a candle from last week. What he was doing in that lap dance club was anyone's guess. Muttered something about ironing and legged it before he got absolution. I'll catch up with him next Sunday Evensong, I expect.

tomytony
20-08-2017, 09:10 PM
However, it's not difficult to see that a few bob investment spent in the right way could propel us to be contenders rather than making the numbers up and I'm also convinced CW is the man to do it

That's what baffles/angers me B58.

At last he's stumbled across a good 'un , a Blade but with real managerial ability, passion tempered by common sense and belief in his own abilities.

For all CW's talk about keeping things real he will know he could take this squad, with a couple of quality additions, all the way and might well get frustrated if the means to do that is not forthcoming and, let's be realistic, with his burgeoning track record, he'll not be short of offers

Surely he's the one to back meaningfully?

Seems to me the one not bothering to think things through sits at the owner's desk

bulmer1889
20-08-2017, 10:44 PM

Don't forget the stick !

bulmer1889
20-08-2017, 10:51 PM

At last he's stumbled across a good 'un , a Blade but with real managerial ability, passion tempered by common sense and belief in his own abilities.

For all CW's talk about keeping things real he will know he could take this squad, with a couple of quality additions, all the way and might well get frustrated if the means to do that is not forthcoming and, let's be realistic, with his burgeoning track record, he'll not be short of offers

Seems to me the one not bothering to think things through sits at the owner's desk

Who's to say he isn't backing him tho,with talk of 2m bids in for players that's way beyond what we're used to,with CW saying in numerous interviews how he won't break the wage structure and not break the club,is it down to chris and not the boards backing,chris won't pay more than he thinks a player is worth,this to me is probably more of a stumbling block than anything upstairs and TBH I'm with him all the way,I don't want us to go down the Hammond route anymore,it's the road to ruin
As for the O/P I like having the local interest there for all his faults (of which there are many) selling us down the river isn't one of them imo

Holden_C
20-08-2017, 11:11 PM

Can't answer my points so I'm sat at his desk. Okay.

Now you're making assumptions about what Wilder thinks whilst totally ignoring what he says in interviews. Presumably he speaks with forked tongue like McCabe or is that somehow different ? On one hand he's a strong independent character who says what he thinks and is the future, on the other, when it suits, he toes the club line, lying to the support, just another McCabe patsy.

Make your mind up which it is.

tomytony
20-08-2017, 11:32 PM
Can't answer my points so I'm sat at his desk. Okay.

Now you're making assumptions about what Wilder thinks whilst totally ignoring what he says in interviews. Presumably he speaks with forked tongue like McCabe or is that somehow different ? On one hand he's a strong independent character who says what he thinks and is the future, on the other, when it suits, he toes the club line, lying to the support, just another McCabe patsy.

Make your mind up which it is.

Your point being that someone has said that SUFC keeps Scarboro' afloat? Not me but he did spread the SUFC word around parts of the world where he later held business interests so, no, I do NOT believe your siupposition, but do you think the association was a coincidence?

CW is clever enough not to bite the hand that feeds him and would be foolish to do so but there have been plenty of instances of managers, and owners, saying one thing and doing, or meaning, another and we have one at the helm ( or is eg Beattie flu a recognised medical condition) as we all know.I am sure you will recognise this from eg owners votes of confidence and managers walking out of contracts at the drop of a (more tempting or lucrative) hat

With all your worldly experience I am surprised that you would not consider such possibilities HC but sitting at that desk must have affected your normal logic.

It must be that desk, time to change it. :)

LesHiboux
21-08-2017, 12:12 AM

There's nothing wrong with a tipple before evensong...6062

Holden_C
21-08-2017, 09:23 AM
Your point being that someone has said that SUFC keeps Scarboro' afloat? Not me but he did spread the SUFC word around parts of the world where he later held business interests so, no, I do NOT believe your siupposition, but do you think the association was a coincidence?

CW is clever enough not to bite the hand that feeds him and would be foolish to do so but there have been plenty of instances of managers, and owners, saying one thing and doing, or meaning, another and we have one at the helm ( or is eg Beattie flu a recognised medical condition) as we all know.I am sure you will recognise this from eg owners votes of confidence and managers walking out of contracts at the drop of a (more tempting or lucrative) hat

With all your worldly experience I am surprised that you would not consider such possibilities HC but sitting at that desk must have affected your normal logic.

It must be that desk, time to change it. :)

So Wilder is lying at times then? It's a yes or no answer, how about it?

You keep having to go back in the past ( this time Beattie Flu, really?) to re*****ise your weird obsession with McCabe because we had a great season last year but are now raising the bar even though the transfer window isn't yet closed.

Sarky comments about being worldly are quite funny when they come from someone trapped in a hamster wheel, running round and round and never being able to move on or out into the world as it is now.

52 weeks a year you repeat this. 52 weeks for Gods sale.

rodcurrie
21-08-2017, 09:41 AM

You keep having to go back in the past ( this time Beattie Flu, really?) to re*****ise your weird obsession with McCabe because we had a great season last year but are now raising the bar even though the transfer window isn't yet closed.

Sarky comments about being worldly are quite funny when they come from someone trapped in a hamster wheel, running round and round and never being able to move on or out into the world as it is now.

52 weeks a year you repeat this. 52 weeks for Gods sale.OH MY GOD,Hark at you 2.:D UTCB

GrayBlade
21-08-2017, 11:54 AM
Don't forget the stick !
Is somebody giving Rodders stick?

bulmer1889
21-08-2017, 01:11 PM

Makes a change from the team

tomytony
21-08-2017, 01:58 PM

52 weeks a year you repeat this. 52 weeks for Gods sale.

And some get more upset than others, that's all part of the fun but surprised at you getting so worked up about it. Told you its that desk. :)

CW lying? Well of course,as we all know, all employees tell the absolute truth to their employees all the time don't they?.Your normal worldy wise state seems to have moved to angry and naive.

Can't think why. :)

Holden_C
21-08-2017, 02:54 PM
And some get more upset than others, that's all part of the fun but surprised at you getting so worked up about it. Told you its that desk. :)

CW lying? Well of course,as we all know, all employees tell the absolute truth to their employees all the time don't they?.Your normal worldy wise state seems to have moved to angry and naive.

Can't think why. :)

No definitive answer, plays the angry card. Dear me.

You did realise we won Saturday before you dug out the repeatometer, from where it was buried last season?

Holden_C
21-08-2017, 02:56 PM

There's a queue I'd imagine. Especially now he's posting filthy innuendo like a Northern Frankie Howerd :)

Not the way to impress the ladies Roderick even if your suave self isn't working :)

GrayBlade
21-08-2017, 03:39 PM
There's a queue I'd imagine. Especially now he's posting filthy innuendo like a Northern Frankie Howerd :)

Not the way to impress the ladies Roderick even if your suave self isn't working :)

He did surprised me, but desire is a powerful beast.

rodcurrie
21-08-2017, 05:21 PM

Not the way to impress the ladies Roderick even if your suave self isn't working :)Stick i said stick Fred Elliott to havin "Banter" wi TT mi owd,tha far too sophisticated for me but i'm sure tha knew that dint tha?:) UTCB

rodcurrie
21-08-2017, 05:26 PM

Not the way to impress the ladies Roderick even if your suave self isn't working :)I don't think owd Frankie was bothered abart impressin the ladies was he? What fithy innuendo do ya mean? UTCB

RonnieWaldock
21-08-2017, 05:45 PM
I don't think owd Frankie was bothered abart impressin the ladies was he? What fithy innuendo do ya mean? UTCB

Never mind all this nonsense, Rod - what happened up at Stocky?

And yes, you're right, Frankie wasn't overly interested in the ladies. But, each to their own...........

Holden_C
21-08-2017, 05:51 PM
I don't think owd Frankie was bothered abart impressin the ladies was he? What fithy innuendo do ya mean? UTCB

Dick out for six weeks. Before I read it I thought you'd been wandering about in just your pyjamas for a month and a half. Again.

RonnieWaldock
21-08-2017, 05:52 PM
Forget the above request Rod. Have just found a report and a video of the goals on S2.

rodcurrie
21-08-2017, 05:54 PM
Never mind all this nonsense, Rod - what happened up at Stocky?

And yes, you're right, Frankie wasn't overly interested in the ladies. But, each to their own...........3-0 win mate,Smith 2 Hallam,scored,it was a decent game and i thought we won comfortably.Gus Poyet's lad was playin for Cardiff,his biggest contribution was screamin at the ref when he dint get a foul he wanted.Young Bomber was constantly gobbin at the keeper(Dewhurst) to come and get the ball when it went over the defence's head,he does look a good un young Bomber. UTCB

rodcurrie
21-08-2017, 05:57 PM
Dick out for six weeks. Before I read it I thought you'd been wandering about in just your pyjamas for a month and a half. Again.Whatever did ya think when Dick Emery was on't telly regularly or Dick Turpin then? More to do wi your mucky thoughts than owt i do or say mi thinks Fred.:) UTCB

charliejoejohn2
21-08-2017, 06:16 PM
We might need young bomber tomorrow Rod. Could he step up to it do you think?

rodcurrie
21-08-2017, 06:25 PM
We might need young bomber tomorrow Rod. Could he step up to it do you think?Not ready yet Charlie i dunt think but he's a promisin lad,i think he's just 17 and has plenty of growin to do yet.He played the full game today so i'd be amazed if he was in't squad 2moz.UTCB

charliejoejohn2
21-08-2017, 06:37 PM
Not ready yet Charlie i dunt think but he's a promisin lad,i think he's just 17 and has plenty of growin to do yet.He played the full game today so i'd be amazed if he was in't squad 2moz.UTCB
I beat his father tha knows Rod!!! Int Sheffield Marathon! ;D

Ayamonteblade
21-08-2017, 07:16 PM
Dick out for six weeks. Before I read it I thought you'd been wandering about in just your pyjamas for a month and a half. Again.

XD sorry Rod, but that is very funny

GrayBlade
21-08-2017, 08:41 PM

Great for those fan who could still afford to watch them Cd but I wonder how those who couldn't feel?

I bet some would be fine about it if they weren't regulars in the first place and could still get to the odd game. Suddenly they've got a Championship winning team to support instead of also-rans that are always on the box and to be proud of. But some regulars on low income must have been priced out of attending regular football and that can't be right, turning a working man's game into one for the comparatively well off.

Holden_C
21-08-2017, 10:18 PM
Whatever did ya think when Dick Emery was on't telly regularly or Dick Turpin then? More to do wi your mucky thoughts than owt i do or say mi thinks Fred.:) UTCB

Have only seen Stearman referred to as Richard Rod. Never Dick.

rodcurrie
22-08-2017, 06:55 AM
Have only seen Stearman referred to as Richard Rod. Never Dick.Well that's cos you're not as close to the management and squad as i am Marvin mi owd pal.:D By the way my mate Travis was delighted to see me at Stocky yesdi. UTCB

Ayamonteblade
22-08-2017, 07:26 AM
Great article in the Times today about us..........we are the only team left in the Caramac Cup with no foreign players....infact there are only 4 altogether in the whole Football League - the other 3 in Div 2. Wilder says he was happy to use a squad who he knew he could rely on to get us out of League 1, however, now we are in the Championship we will be looking further afield.

Billy comments that there is a great team spirit at the Lane now, and that's why we were so successful last season, and will be again this season (love it!).

Wilder also says that he was flattered to be recommended by Big Sam for the Palace job, however he reckons it was only because he was sat next to him at the League Managers annual shindig and he kept on topping up Sam's wine glass :) He'd love to manage in the Premiership one day, and hopefully with us.

Looking forward to tonight - nothing to lose and all to gain.

GrayBlade
22-08-2017, 09:25 AM
Great article in the Times today about us..........we are the only team left in the Caramac Cup with no foreign players....infact there are only 4 altogether in the whole Football League - the other 3 in Div 2. Wilder says he was happy to use a squad who he knew he could rely on to get us out of League 1, however, now we are in the Championship we will be looking further afield.

Billy comments that there is a great team spirit at the Lane now, and that's why we were so successful last season, and will be again this season (love it!).

Wilder also says that he was flattered to be recommended by Big Sam for the Palace job, however he reckons it was only because he was sat next to him at the League Managers annual shindig and he kept on topping up Sam's wine glass :) He'd love to manage in the Premiership one day, and hopefully with us.

Looking forward to tonight - nothing to lose and all to gain.

We were talking about us not having any foreign players after the matc...apart from Irish. I think it's great personality and will have helped build the closeness but if we really want to progress, there will come a time when Chris will have to start dipping our toes in the foreign market or we'll gtreatly reduce our quality player prospects. It's not all about big money high profile players, there will be plenty of gems like Vas Borbokis out there.

Holden_C
22-08-2017, 09:54 AM
Well that's cos you're not as close to the management and squad as i am Marvin mi owd pal.:D By the way my mate Travis was delighted to see me at Stocky yesdi. UTCB

Lol

GrayBlade
22-08-2017, 10:01 AM
Well that's cos you're not as close to the management and squad as i am Marvin mi owd pal.:D By the way my mate Travis was delighted to see me at Stocky yesdi. UTCB

Has he managed to clear his name yet Rod?

Carpe_diem
22-08-2017, 10:51 AM
Great for those fan who could still afford to watch them Cd but I wonder how those who couldn't feel?

I bet some would be fine about it if they weren't regulars in the first place and could still get to the odd game. Suddenly they've got a Championship winning team to support instead of also-rans that are always on the box and to be proud of. But some regulars on low income must have been priced out of attending regular football and that can't be right, turning a working man's game into one for the comparatively well off.

I don't know how many people that actually affected, but given that most of their matches are on television and they've won the Premier League, the Champion's League, the League Cup and the F.A. Cup, and can attract players of an outstanding calibre, I wonder how many of those affected would turn all that down to be in the shoes of a team like Swansea or West Brom who tread water every season?

GrayBlade
22-08-2017, 11:41 AM
I don't know how many people that actually affected, but given that most of their matches are on television and they've won the Premier League, the Champion's League, the League Cup and the F.A. Cup, and can attract players of an outstanding calibre, I wonder how many of those affected would turn all that down to be in the shoes of a team like Swansea or West Brom who tread water every season?
Yeah that's my point really, if somebody's happy to wear the shirt and support them on the box etc it's a no brainer. We've got a few ManU 'fans' out here in deepest Derbyshire who've never been near Old Trafford and they're always full of it. I was thinking more of fans who lived for going to games who can no longer afford to, Chelsea is probably not the best example, but I know people personally who've stopped attending because of the cost at Man City and even the Sty.

pragueblade
22-08-2017, 11:54 AM
Im out in deepest derbyshire now Gray, not seen any closet manure fans, but a few blades shirts around hope /Castleton , the gospel of tufty is spreading......Edale might be tough to crack ,need to introduce them to a football first😉

Carpe_diem
22-08-2017, 12:51 PM
Yeah that's my point really, if somebody's happy to wear the shirt and support them on the box etc it's a no brainer. We've got a few ManU 'fans' out here in deepest Derbyshire who've never been near Old Trafford and they're always full of it. I was thinking more of fans who lived for going to games who can no longer afford to, Chelsea is probably not the best example, but I know people personally who've stopped attending because of the cost at Man City and even the Sty.

Sadly that's just the way of the world though, eh? FFP, which prevents rich owners just pouring money in, hits the fans in the pocket as the turnover has to be there. I don't pretend to know what the answer is, but if you ever want the Blades to win anything - and to carry on winning rather than just having a fluke season - investment will have to be made. In fact, with the cash sloshing about now, investment will have to be made just to tread water :(

tomytony
22-08-2017, 01:13 PM
No definitive answer, plays the angry card. Dear me.

You did realise we won Saturday before you dug out the repeatometer, from where it was buried last season?

Plays the 'no response ' card ..shows increasing naivety.No anger from me, just laughing at you getting so wound up .

If you look at my original responnse on this thread it was a lighthearted reference to a phrase used by McC, with a Chinese slant.

Others then proceeded to look at McC mor closely so I responded.

As for 'no direct answer' I'll ask you a question , AGAIN.

Do you think all employees tell the truth to their boss all the time?

If you do you are very naive. If you don't then that will be CW's current position.You don't bite the hand that feeds you.

As for last season there was criticism of McC from me ,see Rod's 'searching him out and chasing him posts' and my responses about stumbling across a good 'un at the 10th attemppt so the 'repeatometer' gag falls on stony ground.

HC serious/sincere point.I know we will never agree about McC but you've become very aggressive in your defence of him on this thread which I responded to, initially, lightheartedly. Just doesn't seem like you

rodcurrie
22-08-2017, 02:47 PM
Plays the 'no response ' card ..shows increasing naivety.No anger from me, just laughing at you getting so wound up .

If you look at my original responnse on this thread it was a lighthearted reference to a phrase used by McC, with a Chinese slant.

Others then proceeded to look at McC mor closely so I responded.

As for 'no direct answer' I'll ask you a question , AGAIN.

Do you think all employees tell the truth to their boss all the time?

If you do you are very naive. If you don't then that will be CW's current position.You don't bite the hand that feeds you.

As for last season there was criticism of McC from me ,see Rod's 'searching him out and chasing him posts' and my responses about stumbling across a good 'un at the 10th attemppt so the 'repeatometer' gag falls on stony ground.

HC serious/sincere point.I know we will never agree about McC but you've become very aggressive in your defence of him on this thread which I responded to, initially, lightheartedly. Just doesn't seem like youWell dunt be accusin me of hackin Marvin's account TT,I'm in a gr8 mood,I've been listenin to SIR ROD belt out "People get ready" as i'm havin a shave before settin off to the finest place on this luvly planet for tonight's tie wi Leicester. UTCB

tomytony
22-08-2017, 03:15 PM
Well dunt be accusin me of hackin Marvin's account TT,I'm in a gr8 mood,I've been listenin to SIR ROD belt out "People get ready" as i'm havin a shave before settin off to the finest place on this luvly planet for tonight's tie wi Leicester. UTCB

:) Enjoy Rod.

Believe it or not I love the Blades being successful, I am proud to be a Blade, I don't know anyone who doesn't get to know fairly soon after meeting me that I am a Blade. I always fly the flag for them and defend them against any criticism.My car number plate is 3UFC

It's only on here, amongst 'family; that I have a go at the owner's football incompetence.

Holden_C
22-08-2017, 05:38 PM
:) Enjoy Rod.

Believe it or not I love the Blades being successful, I am proud to be a Blade, I don't know anyone who doesn't get to know fairly soon after meeting me that I am a Blade. I always fly the flag for them and defend them against any criticism.My car number plate is 3UFC

It's only on here, amongst 'family; that I have a go at the owner's football incompetence.

Yet oddly enough you were the one who said you were angry on page 2.

I never said you weren't a Blade btw. I said you had a weird obsession with McCabe. Mistakes are his fault, Wilder is "luck", being an example of the lack of any objectivity. Anyway must go, need to threaten the kids and kick the cat before I go to the match.

Grrrr.

tomytony
23-08-2017, 07:50 AM
Yet oddly enough you were the one who said you were angry on page 2.

I never said you weren't a Blade btw. I said you had a weird obsession with McCabe. Mistakes are his fault, Wilder is "luck", being an example of the lack of any objectivity. Anyway must go, need to threaten the kids and kick the cat before I go to the match.

Grrrr.

Bet the cat's still cowering after last night. :(