PDA

View Full Version : Was Mark Sampson out of order...

sidders
22-08-2017, 07:17 PM
... when he allegedly told Aluko, the English striker, 'Better make sure they don't bring Ebola with them" when she told him that some of her Nigerian family were coming over to watch her in the Germany game.
Regardless of gender, is this a remark bordering on racism? After all, how can anyone be sure they're not carrying ebola and isn't it a hint that they should stay at home?
Unfortunately, she didn't provide this information at the start of her complaint against him.

JoePass
22-08-2017, 07:31 PM
... when he allegedly told Aluko, the English striker, 'Better make sure they don't bring Ebola with them" when she told him that some of her Nigerian family were coming over to watch her in the Germany game.
Regardless of gender, is this a remark bordering on racism? After all, how can anyone be sure they're not carrying ebola and isn't it a hint that they should stay at home?
Unfortunately, she didn't provide this information at the start of her complaint against him.

You cannot breathe now without the pathetic PC brigade getting on your case for com-pen-say-shum.

For gods sake these moaning idiots need to get a life.

Elite_Pie
22-08-2017, 07:37 PM
I'd say yes, he was out of order but it's hardly the crime of the century. It's a footy manager who is basically a bit thick and ignorant in certain areas caught out by the curse of social media where every word is analysed to the nth degree. Aluko doesn't come across in the interview as too bright either - "I am used to industrious language???". Two people who are both good at the jobs they do, but seem to have fallen out and publicised a spat which does credit to neither.

navypie
22-08-2017, 07:42 PM
I have watched quite a bit of women's football ( and been quite impressed ) over the last couple of years and Aluko looked to be on the wane in my opinion but I am not doubting she had served her country well . Two investigations( which I believe she has refused to cooperate with) have found nothing into her claims . She looked quite sheepish in the interview I saw today and seemed to be making it up as she went along . I also believe she as received £ 80 grand from the FA . When will Kick It Out be happy , when Sampson is hung out to dry ? Could it be that she was simply dropped ?

navypie
22-08-2017, 07:46 PM
Enjoying the women's Rugby World Cup Semi by the way , 3-3 at the moment but I would say France have been the better team.

DomdomPie
22-08-2017, 07:51 PM
It sounds like he's said some inappropriate things, but her saying she's felt bullied & victimised because he's said things like she's "a pain in the arse" just make her sound a bit pathetic tbh.

The fact that the FA gave her £80k to keep quiet has only added fuel to the fire though.

BanjoPie
22-08-2017, 07:59 PM
No

navypie
22-08-2017, 07:59 PM
It sounds like he's said some inappropriate things, but her saying she's felt bullied & victimised because he's said things like she's "a pain in the arse" just make her sound a bit pathetic tbh.

The fact that the FA gave her £80k to keep quiet has only added fuel to the fire though.

Paying her £80k does make it sound very dodgy but I still believe she was right to be dropped .

Freeman25
22-08-2017, 08:13 PM
Pretty sure when Mustapha Dumbuya was playing for Sierra Leone when the Ebola hype was going on there was talk about the risk he was taking by going over there but there was also.

I chatted with Sampson at an FA conference before, he's quite blunt with how he says things but he also comes across as very intelligent, I would imagine he just made the remark a bit awkwardly and it was taken the wrong way by Aluko.

navypie
22-08-2017, 08:25 PM
Enjoying the women's Rugby World Cup Semi by the way , 3-3 at the moment but I would say France have been the better team.

Final score, 20-3 England . Enjoyed.

Notts78
22-08-2017, 08:58 PM
The remark for me is more inappropriate, rather than racist. Nigeria is listed as a country with confirmed Ebola cases, so could be seen as a factual statement by Mr Sampson. That said the comment should not have been made.

Definition of racism - Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

Does Mr Sampsons comment fall in to the above definition? I suppose it could be seen as antagonising.. maybe.

DomdomPie
22-08-2017, 09:03 PM
It wasn't racist in my opinion, it was just dumb and ill-judged.

Navypie'a right that she was on the wane and frankly slipping well down the pecking order. Doesn't excuse Sampson'a comments but maybe explains why she took them so personally.

JoePass
22-08-2017, 09:42 PM
It wasn't racist in my opinion, it was just dumb and ill-judged.

Navypie'a right that she was on the wane and frankly slipping well down the pecking order. Doesn't excuse Sampson'a comments but maybe explains why she took them so personally.

These people always smell the money being given out by the PC brigade.

queenslandpie
22-08-2017, 09:49 PM
These people always smell the money being given out by the PC brigade.

It's not in the slightest bit racist but it is a bit over the top. It's simply an attempt at humour which went over the line as things do sometimes nothing more. Have you never done that? I have. You apologise and everyone moves on in a decent society. No story here. End of.

keldsyke
22-08-2017, 10:31 PM
It's not in the slightest bit racist but it is a bit over the top. It's simply an attempt at humour which went over the line as things do sometimes nothing more. Have you never done that? I have. You apologise and everyone moves on in a decent society. No story here. End of.

Agree with the above, unfortunately racism only works one way, being white and British I now class myself as an ethnic minority in this day and age #Iwantmycountryandvaluesback

navypie
23-08-2017, 05:21 AM
The remark for me is more inappropriate, rather than racist. Nigeria is listed as a country with confirmed Ebola cases, so could be seen as a factual statement by Mr Sampson. That said the comment should not have been made.

Definition of racism - Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

Does Mr Sampsons comment fall in to the above definition? I suppose it could be seen as antagonising.. maybe.

Alleged remark , Sampson denies making it .

irishpete
23-08-2017, 05:43 AM
Making a Mountain out of a mole hill.Cos I'm black,I'll play on it.Not allowed any craic,sense of humour or banter nowdays without it being PC.

CmonUSexyStylishPies
23-08-2017, 06:48 AM
being white and British I now class myself as an ethnic minority in this day and age

You poor thing #prayforkeldsyke

crazyfists
23-08-2017, 06:52 AM
Was he out of order? Yes of course he was, he didn't say it to his mate, he said it whilst in a position of responsibility. Is all the pc cr@p too much? Yes but still people need to be careful in what situation they say things, it's all relative.

SolSigns
23-08-2017, 06:57 AM
Was he out of order? Yes of course he was, he didn't say it to his mate, he said it whilst in a position of responsibility. Is all the pc cr@p too much? Yes but still people need to be careful in what situation they say things, it's all relative.

Well said. Professional is as professional does.

navypie
23-08-2017, 07:43 AM

Again , he's denied saying it so it's only allegation at this stage , or are we just to believe Aluko ?

crazyfists
23-08-2017, 09:26 AM
Yes fair point it's only alleged at this point. My personal opinion is that he said it as it's such a random comment to make up, if she wanted to say he's racist then there are much quicker and insulting barbs to use. With that and the police caution comment from two different sources and situations then I think there's fire under this smoke. I don't understand why people thesedays in positions of responsibility still think it's OK to act like that, are they dumb?