PDA

View Full Version : Bruce's rant

stateside
24-08-2017, 05:46 PM
Win 2 games, one that might as well have been a U23 and Steve Bruce comes out with all guns blazing shooting down the criticism of losing 2 games in a row and not winning the opening 3.

"We've got to stop that roller-coaster and it's up to me to get the club on an even keel and turn it around. And I'm sure we will do." He said about how we went from doom and gloom to euphoria in about 7 days.

But, there is more to it than that. Since taking over from DiMatteo Villa's performances have gone from poor to dismal. We lost one league game by 2 goals with the previous manager and mostly drew or lost 1-0. We were outrageously unlucky with the woodwork in those early games, but then after a quick lift from the new manager we quickly became fodder for teams like Brentford. Our home unbeaten record went. We were beaten at home by Ipswich!!! Despite this we knitted together a little run of games that had us flirting with the play offs but we shot ourselves in the foot and fell to mid table obscurity.

In come new players and we start exactly the same as last season. Great for 45 minutes at home and squander the lead. Then get destroyed in the two away games where it could have been 5-1 in both games.

This is what the fans were angry about. We aren't going to win every game, but there is no reason why we can't be in every game, not slaughtered.

You got lucky with the emergence of Davis in the next game. Kudos for having the guts to gamble, but it paid off big time. However, had Norwich snatch that equalizer at 2-1 how would that game panned out? Would we have held on to the draw? Would your job be on a little more shaky ground?

So some of us question Terry's contribution? You bring up this "A couple of bad results don't paper over the affect he's had. What I needed is someone who has been there, done it, worn the T-shirt, and show them how it's done. For the younger lads in the team he'll have an affect on them big style, because of how he's done it, how he's gone about his work, and how he is.

"For example, we went to Colchester away on a horrible night, probably the worst of the year, but he drove to the game himself and turned up in the dressing room, even though he wasn't involved. He took the young lads and shook them by the hands to wish them luck.

"He could have sat back and not given a monkey's, but that's the reason why I brought him here, to bring that mentality. Before I got here that mentality was losing, but that won't happen on my watch. I needed somebody alongside me in the dressing room who thinks exactly the same way, and I've got that person."

That's fantastic. But, we don't know about this unless you tell us. Not 2-3 weeks later. Don't count on the press they reported that same day he visited the Chelsea team. Get this stuff in the Villa sites it gives us insight.

To me we need better performance from the team for 90 minutes and results will take care of themselves. Keep using the youth players when you can and you will get the support from the fans

westcountryvillain
24-08-2017, 07:16 PM
100% agree Statesey, thought exactly the same about that chance Norwich had for 2-2, our naivety at the back is staggering considering the experience of Terry,Hutton and Chester. Bruce is of course entitled to his views but he seems to have quickly forgotten how bad we were in the 2 away games.

stateside
24-08-2017, 07:44 PM
Yeah. No matter what if we lose there will be someone moaning. They'll moan if we win. But, most people will be okay with a loss if they feel you did everything you could. But, the bar is set higher when you have supposedly superior players. I am willing to wager that Hogan cost more than the entire team Paul Cook fielded on Tuesday so yes I expect him to score 2 against them and for us to win as easily as we did.

Stop worrying about the fans and start figuring how to out coach your opponent.

yubbywelch
24-08-2017, 09:38 PM

Exiledvillan
25-08-2017, 12:58 PM
Win 2 games, one that might as well have been a U23 and Steve Bruce comes out with all guns blazing shooting down the criticism of losing 2 games in a row and not winning the opening 3.

"We've got to stop that roller-coaster and it's up to me to get the club on an even keel and turn it around. And I'm sure we will do." He said about how we went from doom and gloom to euphoria in about 7 days.

But, there is more to it than that. Since taking over from DiMatteo Villa's performances have gone from poor to dismal. We lost one league game by 2 goals with the previous manager and mostly drew or lost 1-0. We were outrageously unlucky with the woodwork in those early games, but then after a quick lift from the new manager we quickly became fodder for teams like Brentford. Our home unbeaten record went. We were beaten at home by Ipswich!!! Despite this we knitted together a little run of games that had us flirting with the play offs but we shot ourselves in the foot and fell to mid table obscurity.

In come new players and we start exactly the same as last season. Great for 45 minutes at home and squander the lead. Then get destroyed in the two away games where it could have been 5-1 in both games.

This is what the fans were angry about. We aren't going to win every game, but there is no reason why we can't be in every game, not slaughtered.

You got lucky with the emergence of Davis in the next game. Kudos for having the guts to gamble, but it paid off big time. However, had Norwich snatch that equalizer at 2-1 how would that game panned out? Would we have held on to the draw? Would your job be on a little more shaky ground?

So some of us question Terry's contribution? You bring up this "A couple of bad results don't paper over the affect he's had. What I needed is someone who has been there, done it, worn the T-shirt, and show them how it's done. For the younger lads in the team he'll have an affect on them big style, because of how he's done it, how he's gone about his work, and how he is.

"For example, we went to Colchester away on a horrible night, probably the worst of the year, but he drove to the game himself and turned up in the dressing room, even though he wasn't involved. He took the young lads and shook them by the hands to wish them luck.

"He could have sat back and not given a monkey's, but that's the reason why I brought him here, to bring that mentality. Before I got here that mentality was losing, but that won't happen on my watch. I needed somebody alongside me in the dressing room who thinks exactly the same way, and I've got that person."

That's fantastic. But, we don't know about this unless you tell us. Not 2-3 weeks later. Don't count on the press they reported that same day he visited the Chelsea team. Get this stuff in the Villa sites it gives us insight.

To me we need better performance from the team for 90 minutes and results will take care of themselves. Keep using the youth players when you can and you will get the support from the fans

Bit harsh there Statesie. The ‘if’Norwich had scored bit?? Every team usually have a good 15mins in a match, and Norwich, who passed the ball well, had theres in the second half, personally, after watching the game back, I think they deserved the goals. ‘IF’ Davis had had his shooting boots on he could of had a first half hat trick, game over. We can’t go giving credit to a manager for ‘gambling’ on Davis, then brand him lucky for it working.

A league cup win by our kids? well hey did more than RDMs 1st team at Luton last year. And better than Lambert’s 1st teams against Orient and Bradford.
I’d say SB has right to reply regarding the roller coaster emotions of the fans, given the abuse he has received.
I don’t have an issue with him now that Gabby and Hutton are not playing. An issue may well arise once they’re fit tho. I just want us to win, so style can take a back seat as far as this season is concerned. 42 1-0s from now til the end of the season will do me fine, you never know, we might sprinkle in a few goalfests along the way. Not essential, but they would be welcomed.

stateside
25-08-2017, 04:12 PM
I appreciate your comments and respect them totally. I understand we fully deserved our two wins and was incredibly happy about it. I just don't see why he would go off on people when he hasn't accomplished anything yet. Beat someone away and I'll be impressed!

westcountryvillain
25-08-2017, 05:30 PM
All fair Exiled but he should have also acknowledged that the 2 away performances and the 2nd half vs Hull were poor, drawing criticism that for the most part is fair. Equally he received a lot of praise for the Norwich performance.