PDA

View Full Version : Merino

Zippity
26-08-2017, 04:37 PM
Fok me, what a game he had. Was there a header he didn't win? If it's a choice between him and Shelvey, on this performance it would be Merino every time. He won the ball, held it up, drove forward and made some brilliant passes. Outstanding game, imo.

Jammy89
26-08-2017, 04:39 PM
Agreed.

Him or Ritchie my MOTM (i've not seen who actually got it yet XD)

No way should Shelvey walk back into the team after his suspension.

Zippity
26-08-2017, 04:40 PM
Nor Gayle when he's fit. I thought Joselu worked their defence much more than Gayle does.

Jammy89
26-08-2017, 04:41 PM
Agreed.

The system that Rafa plays, Joselu fits what needs to be done much better than Gayle.

toptoon
26-08-2017, 04:43 PM
Fok me, what a game he had. Was there a header he didn't win? If it's a choice between him and Shelvey, on this performance it would be Merino every time. He won the ball, held it up, drove forward and made some brilliant passes. Outstanding game, imo.

I thought he was our best player at huddersfield but he was even better today - good in the air, holds the ball up well and is technically good. Rafa seems to have found a player.

Nephy
26-08-2017, 06:14 PM
On this evidence you'd say Merino has to keep his place, maybe Hayden to drop out for Shelvey if anything?

Jammy89
26-08-2017, 06:20 PM
Thing is Hayden does those dirty jobs that Shelvey doesn't.

tooslomofo
26-08-2017, 06:37 PM
I agree he looks like we have some player on our hands he's only young 21 I think?, and has just tasted premier league football and only just starting to bed into a team with other new players that haven't played together long...
He can only get better
Shame he's only on loan.... does anyone know if he's got a right to buy cause in his contract?

No way should Shelley push his way back in the team unless it was at number 10 maybe

tinostongue
26-08-2017, 07:00 PM
Hes on loan but I would be surprised if theres not an option to buy clause, great vision and control. Hayden had one of his better games, the passing as slick and accurate, great all round team performance.Bilic could be he first manager to go I think,WH were pretty awful, cant remember hearing their fans morer than once, they seemed to accept defeat even when it was 0-0.

Cannylad
26-08-2017, 07:07 PM
Yes, he was very calm on the ball, impressive !

Nephy
26-08-2017, 07:11 PM
Thing is Hayden does those dirty jobs that Shelvey doesn't.

Merino would probably be the one to sit deeper if he and Shelvey both played!

kingstonbob
26-08-2017, 08:07 PM
Merino did very well today (and tried his heart out at Hudds last week mind). I hope he keeps it up and Rafa allows him to grow as Shelvey needs to realise he isnt going to walk back into the team. Well done lad.

ex_pat_magpie
26-08-2017, 09:34 PM
Merino did very well today (and tried his heart out at Hudds last week mind). I hope he keeps it up and Rafa allows him to grow as Shelvey needs to realise he isnt going to walk back into the team. Well done lad.

I think it will be difficult for Rafa to change this team apart from training injuries.

Jammy89
26-08-2017, 11:31 PM
Shame he's only on loan.... does anyone know if he's got a right to buy cause in his contract?

Every report said we had a "to buy" clause written in if he played X amount of games. Barring injury i'd suspect no trouble in that happening.

ex_pat_magpie
27-08-2017, 08:54 AM
Every report said we had a "to buy" clause written in if he played X amount of games. Barring injury i'd suspect no trouble in that happening.

Quote from wiki.

In July 2017, Merino joined Newcastle United on a season-long loan. The Premier League club agreed to a clause obligating them to sign the player permanently, based on a number of appearances.[10][11]

ghostrider
27-08-2017, 09:10 AM
A quality player that we all saw in pre-season and also in a few of the games we've played, he's shown he's building up to be sure fire quality and not just a flash in the pan.
If he keeps this up he's going to be hard to shift and can only enhance the teams ability to progress nice and steadily.

waalsendmick
27-08-2017, 09:25 AM
he's a young lad, his form will be up and down, it's a squad game and as long as 2 from Merino, Hayden and Shelvey are available more often than not, we will be ok.

ghostrider
27-08-2017, 09:28 AM
he's a young lad, his form will be up and down, it's a squad game and as long as 2 from Merino, Hayden and Shelvey are available more often than not, we will be ok.

Yep, I agree with that.

ex_pat_magpie
27-08-2017, 10:15 AM

That's sound spot on, yet each of them with his own style provides something different. So it will be interesting to see how the different combinations of any two from three operate and help the team to tick.

Something for the opposition to worry about I would hope.

sherwoodmag
27-08-2017, 02:55 PM
From what I have seen if he keeps it up we need to tie him down a.s.a.p. a champions league side will be sniffing round him before long.

NorthernRock
28-08-2017, 07:39 AM
I said in his first appearance he reminds me of a young Fabregas.

Excellent signing.

Clarke, Mbemba and Ritchie (probably our best player overall) all did well too.

Worth mentioning Atsu's start to the season too. Showed good work rate and commitment, needs to use his pace more clever and he'll do well.

Joselu looks like he could get a few goals this season. Once he's settled I think his touches will reflect how technically good he is and his movement is very good.