PDA

View Full Version : Big man, little man?

Nephy
26-08-2017, 07:56 PM
Joselu's impact highlights how much we've missed a big, strong player to lead the line I reckon. Perez and Gayle are both far too lightweight as lone strikers and I don't think Perez is the right fit for the number 10 role in Rafa's standard tactics either. I know very few top teams play with the 'big man, little man' combo up front any more, and perhaps it's just me feeling wistful about the good old days, but I would love to see what Joselu or Mitro next to Gayle up there could do. The last time we had that kind of setup was probably Ba/Cissé, though they usually played as part of a front 3, and it worked really nicely. It's totally hypothetical of course, as Rafa will never deviate from 4-4-1-1!

Zippity
26-08-2017, 08:00 PM
Totally with you-Joselu just had more 'about him'. I thought he gave their defence a lot more to think about than Gayle-who I think would work well scuttling around beside him. For me, Gayle never really leads the line-his game is more about running on to the ball or finding space in the box whereas I thought with Joselu we had a focal point.

ex_pat_magpie
26-08-2017, 09:28 PM
Totally with you-Joselu just had more 'about him'. I thought he gave their defence a lot more to think about than Gayle-who I think would work well scuttling around beside him. For me, Gayle never really leads the line-his game is more about running on to the ball or finding space in the box whereas I thought with Joselu we had a focal point.

I worked well with Shearer/Bellamy and Shearer/Pedro. Two of the best combinations in 70 years.

Jammy89
26-08-2017, 11:29 PM
Joselu impressed me in the highlights i saw.

I'd also love to see the big man/little man but we won't switch from 4-4-1-1

toonlegend
27-08-2017, 12:06 PM
joselu and merino were immense yesterday

keep playing like that and we have 2 new legends in the making

and ps with reference to one of the other threads i quite like the nickname joselwho