PDA

View Full Version : Gayle rumours

Nephy
27-08-2017, 09:31 AM
Today's papers reckon Gayle might be on his way this week. I did wonder about his 'illness' - such a common excuse when a player is on their way out these days. Surely that'd mean we have a direct replacement lined up, so Gayle out and someone like Slimani in? What does everyone feel about this? To be honest I have massive reservations about Gayle's ability to lead the line at this level. He could be a success in a 4-4-2 but he's not physical enough to be a lone striker. Looks like Mitro might get a ban, so I cannot imagine us selling Gayle and ending up with only Joselu. I'd be happy enough to Gayle leave, but only if we get a new number 9 before the window shuts!

Zippity
27-08-2017, 10:11 AM
Without wishing to sound too cold, if we reinvested properly I wouldn't be too disappointed. I share your misgivings about him leading the line (and his dodgy hamstrings complicate things further). Keegan got rid of Kelly when we got promoted and I was gutted but if the same happened with Gayle I'd be grateful for his goals and his efforts but not overly disappointed.

ex_pat_magpie
27-08-2017, 10:24 AM
Without wishing to sound too cold, if we reinvested properly I wouldn't be too disappointed. I share your misgivings about him leading the line (and his dodgy hamstrings complicate things further). Keegan got rid of Kelly when we got promoted and I was gutted but if the same happened with Gayle I'd be grateful for his goals and his efforts but not overly disappointed.

Agree with both. There's no way we would get full benefit from Gayle as a lone man for more than a few games at a time.

When he was good at the standard we were up against last season we had good results with his goals. But there always seemed to be some weakness of some sort niggling problem on the horizon.

To be fair to the lad I just feel that a long campaign in the Prem would be a step too far and if we get past this window and he has an early breakdown then it's a ***** squad place and important position gone.

toptoon
27-08-2017, 10:29 AM
There“s been something going on with Gayle for a while with this "he“s fit but hasn“t got the confidence to play" bullsh*t, which we had a bit last season too just after his nipper was born.

Jammy89
27-08-2017, 11:06 AM
I rate Gayle and think he can do a job in the prem however i'm getting increasing concerned about his mental state - basically for reasons toptoon said. It also showed how much better we looked with Joselu leading the line as he played the tactics and style that Rafa wants us to play.

If we are selling him we need a replacement lined up to come straight in but i won't be to fussed if he goes, on condition we have someone who can be straight in.

ex_pat_magpie
27-08-2017, 11:13 AM
I rate Gayle and think he can do a job in the prem however i'm getting increasing concerned about his mental state - basically for reasons toptoon said. It also showed how much better we looked with Joselu leading the line as he played the tactics and style that Rafa wants us to play.

If we are selling him we need a replacement lined up to come straight in but i won't be to fussed if he goes, on condition we have someone who can be straight in.

That is it though. A good reliable replacement needs to be on the books first. We can't risk being lighter than we are up front with the constant risk of Mitro missing games because of "over enthusiasm"

MidsMagpie
27-08-2017, 12:19 PM
He would do a great job at somewhere like Forest who have money after their summer sales. So long as we reinvest the fee in the squad its fine

Nephy
29-08-2017, 11:23 AM
I keep seeing things about him being sold to raise funds in recent days, but frequently they refer to him as being rated at £10m. Surely he's got to fetch at least £15m in the current crazy market??

Jammy89
29-08-2017, 11:39 AM
I'd expect at least £15 million. It could go as high as £20 million.

pboromag
29-08-2017, 01:28 PM
they want him off the books
he will be like judas
sold at the 11th hour and the money wont be used

he aint good enough for th e prem
i dont rate josalwho highly as a scorer but he showed more saturday in the prem than gayle has

liikape
29-08-2017, 03:18 PM
He wont be sold until they have a new striker in. Gayle is unstable and is never gonna be succesful at premium league.

Davearmy
29-08-2017, 09:20 PM
If Wood went for 15M gayle has to go for 20.

Zippity
29-08-2017, 09:23 PM
If Wood went for 15M gayle has to go for 20.

I'd say they're pretty similar, Dave. Wood is younger and scored more goals last season. Think I'd be happy with £15 mil.

Davearmy
29-08-2017, 09:57 PM
I'd say they're pretty similar, Dave. Wood is younger and scored more goals last season. Think I'd be happy with £15 mil.

Aye but Gayle scored all his goals in open play wood scored about 6 pens? also Gayles Goals per min was better if i remember right and Gayle missed games Wood didn't :D

Gayle is trending on twitter right now with Fulham, Leeds and wolves all after him and as it stands it looks like Wolves are Favourites with Gayle apparently saying no to leeds in favour of them 18M being the price.

Zippity
29-08-2017, 10:09 PM
To be honest though, I wouldn't be too sad to see him go.

I like him but I don't think he's the man to lead the line in the Prem and would be better suited playing in a front two. Says something that Joselu put in the best front man's performance we've seen in a while.

Was great for us last season and I think you're right-if he'd played more he would have scored more but if we can 'upgrade' him then so be it.

(mind, not sure what even £18 mil buys these days)

Ragatino
29-08-2017, 10:15 PM
To be honest though, I wouldn't be too sad to see him go.

I like him but I don't think he's the man to lead the line in the Prem and would be better suited playing in a front two. Says something that Joselu put in the best front man's performance we've seen in a while.

Was great for us last season and I think you're right-if he'd played more he would have scored more but if we can 'upgrade' him then so be it.

(mind, not sure what even £18 mil buys these days)

http://the72.co.uk/90389/fulham-agree-deal-15m-striker/

Off to Fulham for 15million.

I don't think Origi is the answer.

Lucas Perez would definitely do the job. I would be happy with Perez, Josi and Mitro competing for the lone striker role.

Zippity
29-08-2017, 10:25 PM
Agree about Origi/

If I'm honest, all I know about Perez is that he went to Arsenal but didn't play much.

zoggs
29-08-2017, 11:16 PM
I'd sell him

We already bought his replacement ,off Stoke

ghostrider
30-08-2017, 06:29 AM
It's strange how we can take to a player and then not fully take to another, as in Gayle's case, isn't it.
Gayle seems like one of those players that doesn't ignite and real excitement in my belly.
Does anyone feels the same?

Him leaving us leaves me with literally no thought. I'm simply not bothered about him going.
I know the lad's scored important goals for us in the championship but there's just some weird aura about him that doesn't quite fit for me.

Anyway, I don't know what it fully is with my thoughts on him but there you have it.

waalsendmick
30-08-2017, 08:20 AM
if joselu is Gayle's replacement? then we are phucked.

he was £5m for a reason.

you will get the occasional good game out of him and a few goals, but jeez, we are trying to keep our heads above water in a division full of £30m+ players...

we have a few potential gems (merino, Lejuenne, mbemba, aarons) then we have bard work and experience in Clark and Ritchie.
we have the erratic youth of lascelles and Mitro.

but, we are going to have to graft very very hard for every point we win this season, as we do not have any top class ayers at all, and we are short on gamechangers / matchwinners.

Gayle may not be top top class, but, be is the best goalscorer at the club. if he goes, he NEEDS to be suitably replaced.

Nephy
30-08-2017, 08:58 AM
It's strange how we can take to a player and then not fully take to another, as in Gayle's case, isn't it.
Gayle seems like one of those players that doesn't ignite and real excitement in my belly.

Same, really. He was often touted as someone who was meant to make us feel how Andy Cole did, a natural predator in the box, but I have never been able to get excited about him in the way I did with Cole.

ex_pat_magpie
30-08-2017, 09:10 AM

Him leaving us leaves me with literally no thought. I'm simply not bothered about him going.
I know the lad's scored important goals for us in the championship but there's just some weird aura about him that doesn't quite fit for me.

Anyway, I don't know what it fully is with my thoughts on him but there you have it.

I see your point Ghost, had we still been in the Championship or at any time during last season it may have been a concern, but for the Premiership we need an up front mand more robust than Gayle and a player who can be available week in week out.

More like the traditional old type centre forward which the attack can be built around.

ex_pat_magpie
30-08-2017, 09:13 AM
if joselu is Gayle's replacement? then we are phucked.

he was £5m for a reason.

you will get the occasional good game out of him and a few goals, but jeez, we are trying to keep our heads above water in a division full of £30m+ players...

we have a few potential gems (merino, Lejuenne, mbemba, aarons) then we have bard work and experience in Clark and Ritchie.
we have the erratic youth of lascelles and Mitro.

but, we are going to have to graft very very hard for every point we win this season, as we do not have any top class ayers at all, and we are short on gamechangers / matchwinners.

Gayle may not be top top class, but, be is the best goalscorer at the club. if he goes, he NEEDS to be suitably replaced.

You are totally right there Mick and barring something going wrong I'm sure Rafa has the answer lined up. I'd like to think we are looking forward to a nice surprise.

A new leader of the front line. :P

sherwoodmag
30-08-2017, 09:56 AM
Fulham have bid £15 million for him according to Sky sources.

toptoon
30-08-2017, 10:05 AM
I don't know why I'm not that bothered that our top scorer might be leaving but I'm not.

Nephy
30-08-2017, 10:31 AM
One thing to remember is Rafa has always built his team around a particular type of front man - an all rounder with strength who can score goals but also hold up play and bring in those behind him. Torres in his prime was the archetype. Gayle is the traditional poacher best used as a foil for a bigger guy, and whilst he bagged some decent goals last term, we really need the right kind of player for Rafa's system in the PL. Joselu might've been cheaper and isn't in the star striker mould, but in many ways from what we've seen so far he is actually more appropriate for the role. I think Rafa sees something in him that Stoke failed to capitalise on. We still need at least one more forward in to replace Gayle, though!

waalsendmick
30-08-2017, 11:15 AM
I must be the only one in the ground that noticed at least 3 occasions on Saturday where joselu' s 1st touch was absolutely horrendous.

I think he is a bargain at £5m, but no way is he the answer to our attacking problems.

people on here need to remember, £1.7m Ayoze Perez gets slated, when (although not good enough) he has been an absolute steal!

ghostrider
30-08-2017, 12:11 PM
I must be the only one in the ground that noticed at least 3 occasions on Saturday where joselu' s 1st touch was absolutely horrendous.

I think he is a bargain at £5m, but no way is he the answer to our attacking problems.

people on here need to remember, £1.7m Ayoze Perez gets slated, when (although not good enough) he has been an absolute steal!

You mention an answer to our problems but what exactly are our problems?

By saying this, I mean, what's expected from Newcastle United this season that cannot be seen in that squad we have at our disposal?
From what I've seen of Joselu, I believe, if played regularly and played correctly, I believe he can become an excellent player for us and scoring goals.
I'm not saying we don't need a few extra players but I am saying that we are in better shape than a lot of people think.

We scored 3 against West Ham...Not just because West Ham were below par but because we went into the game with a positive attacking mindset whilst working as a positive unit when defending all over the pitch.

We could sit and argue that Arsenal just don't have the players.
People can say, " yes they do, it's just that some are moaning."

How many fans would have been singing West Ham's praises at the start.
Hernadez and co. Wow, what coup. And rightly so, but it doesn't guarantee anything unless they gel as a unit and those players don't lose their impetus or heart or confidence or basically, their entire form that promised so much.

Of course, we aren't a team of all go no stop, all fight, no quit high end flirters on a threat to snatch places from the expected finishes from the big hitters.
However, our goal to start with is to avoid relegation, no matter what.
The major issue with this is, if we go on a good run of games and basically rise above expectations.
You see, this is when talk of sneaking into certain higher spots becomes the talking point among fans who...from that point on will look at any bad run as a classic case of " I knew it, I knew it, I knew they would falter" yet earlier on the consensus would have been happiness to finish 17th with any higher being a massive bonus and a great season back.

This is the fickleness of football fans and not just us lot.
The truth is, this is what we are all mostly like and it's a natural process.
We basically convince ourselves of all kinds throughout a season and argue all cases as and when they show their hand.

Can you imagine if we added 3 40 million players or something like that and they flopped?
Fans would be calling Rafa a clown or the players, panic buys...etc...etc.

Sometimes (if you have a top manager, like we have) it can benefit a club by playing with the hand that is dealt then testing the water to see whether you need to twist or stick.

trinitoon
30-08-2017, 06:28 PM
I hope he stays and does Rafa's line because I really like the lad. Read the negative opinions in the post above I do not share them. Gayle is not just a predator: he is more clinical with his finishing than anyone else in the squad. If he had a rich supply, you would see what he is capable of.

We just need to dedicate 1 physio to his hamstring full time and he's worth 10 goals easy. Could even get 15 if Merino displaces Jonjo-Red-Card-Shelvey.

Having said that, I can see Rafa cashing in on the £15m and getting a lesser-known forward and someone else for the money.

Hopefully we can get Lucas Perez off Arsenal for monkey money if Arsene Whinger buys another striker with Ox's money. I personally think there is a decent chance of this because their problem lies in not scoring enough goals (Giroud? Welbeck?) for the style of football they play since they cannot fix their problems at the back in the remaining window.

MidsMagpie
30-08-2017, 10:42 PM
Snap Fulhams hand off for 15m we would still be making a profit and he is injury prone, and get Perez in for 12m

PhoneymcRingRing
31-08-2017, 03:49 AM
If we sell him without replacing him we'll be in trouble

ghostrider
31-08-2017, 07:53 AM
I see your point Ghost, had we still been in the Championship or at any time during last season it may have been a concern, but for the Premiership we need an up front mand more robust than Gayle and a player who can be available week in week out.

More like the traditional old type centre forward which the attack can be built around.

I miss the excitement of the proper centre forwards, when football was all about setting out your stall and getting on with doing what the fans wanted, which was to see their teams score goals and not sit there worrying about whether we can set out to defend opposition attacks as a priority set up.

waalsendmick
31-08-2017, 07:59 AM
FWIW I think Gayle has been written off far too soon, but, something has gone on between him and Rafa, and, if he isn't sold and replaced then I think, whatever has happened could be very damaging for us this season.

I would prefer to keep both him AND Mitro along with joselu and A N Other, but that won't happen. as things stand we have only Joselu for the next 3 games, something needs sorting out, FAST.

toonlegend
31-08-2017, 08:51 AM
FWIW I think Gayle has been written off far too soon, but, something has gone on between him and Rafa, and, if he isn't sold and replaced then I think, whatever has happened could be very damaging for us this season.

I would prefer to keep both him AND Mitro along with joselu and A N Other, but that won't happen. as things stand we have only Joselu for the next 3 games, something needs sorting out, FAST.

I'm not so sure anything has gone on, between gayle and rafa. I think he may just be mentally fragile and doesn't cope so well under his perceived added pressures of being in the big league !!!

oh dear ..... gayle left training this morning after 10 minutes

he was 4 hours early ................... forgot training was changed to this afternoon

or CONSPIRACY - was he clearing out his locker !!

NorthernRock
31-08-2017, 10:03 AM
I hope he stays and does Rafa's line because I really like the lad. Read the negative opinions in the post above I do not share them. Gayle is not just a predator: he is more clinical with his finishing than anyone else in the squad. If he had a rich supply, you would see what he is capable of.

We just need to dedicate 1 physio to his hamstring full time and he's worth 10 goals easy. Could even get 15 if Merino displaces Jonjo-Red-Card-Shelvey.

Having said that, I can see Rafa cashing in on the £15m and getting a lesser-known forward and someone else for the money.

Hopefully we can get Lucas Perez off Arsenal for monkey money if Arsene Whinger buys another striker with Ox's money. I personally think there is a decent chance of this because their problem lies in not scoring enough goals (Giroud? Welbeck?) for the style of football they play since they cannot fix their problems at the back in the remaining window.

Fully agree, surprisingly lol.

Gayle is a top finisher and Benitez rates him highly for a reason.

It's been a while since we've had someone who can poach like him and I'm surprised people would be content or even happy to see him go tbh.

2 games and people are already writing him off as a Prem striker, if he's given chances in games he'll score, against anyone

I don't want to see Mitrovic sold either, his goal scoring per min ratio is very good for 2017, he's still young and has great potential. Even if you don't rate him surely you'd rather have him apart of the squad than being a man down up front?

Jammy89
31-08-2017, 10:41 AM
he was 4 hours early ................... forgot training was changed to this afternoon

Akward XD XD

Nephy
31-08-2017, 04:46 PM
The SUN (https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/4364880/fulham-dwight-gayle-newcastle-transfer-news/) are claiming Fulham have upped their bid to £18m now. Of course they're a total rag and spout total bull most of the time, but if that's true I'd definitely take that for him - but only if we have a replacement lined up!

waalsendmick
31-08-2017, 04:49 PM
apparantly we asked them for a straight swap with Tom Cairney and they refused.

why we would want a box to box midfielder to replace our No.9 is beyond me.

waalsendmick
31-08-2017, 04:51 PM
as I've said on another thread though, Gayle shot out of the training ground, looking full of hell, he refused to stop and sign autographs for the kids.

jacapus
31-08-2017, 04:53 PM
as I've said on another thread though, Gayle shot out of the training ground, looking full of hell, he refused to stop and sign autographs for the kids.
Me too on another thread.Why has Gayle been hung out to dry???? Its beyond me !

Zippity
31-08-2017, 05:03 PM
Mind, if Gayle does indeed have confidence problems then this isn't going to end well either way.

trinitoon
31-08-2017, 07:04 PM
Perez gone to Deportivo.

I'm now desperate to keep Gayle because I can see Fat Puss jumping at that £18m if stays on the table. Can see Rafa taking it too. He needs the money and £18m is an awful lot of dough.

toonlegend
31-08-2017, 07:09 PM
maybe he has been reading comments about himself on social media :(