PDA

View Full Version : The rafa rumours

toonlegend
27-08-2017, 12:42 PM
the story and the reasoning - by pete graves

There's something that's worried me since the day Rafa Benitez arrived at Newcastle United. Something that has always been at the back of my mind. A nagging fear that one day a certain club might come in for him, and believe it or not - that club was West Ham.
My heart sank a little last night. The news reached us at Sky Sports News that West Ham were considering the future of Slaven Bilic and that Rafa Benitez would indeed be top of their potential list of suitors. Furthermore they were aware there was a clause, a fairly significant one (more than Ģ5m) but ultimately a way to effectively buy Benitez out of Newcastle United.
But why are West Ham the club that I've feared so long?? Why did I not blink when the links with China and even Arsenal were reported in the national press? Well the reason is, because Rafa has always maintained privately that he feels indebted to West Ham and would have to consider any approach from the Hammers if it should ever materialise and here's why;
In 2015 Benitez was on the brink of becoming West Ham's manager. He'd spoken with the owners and was planning for life at Upton Park. However at the eleventh hour Real Madrid offered him the opportunity to move to the Bernabeu and it was too good an offer to turn down. What impressed Rafa so much was the way the West Ham board accepted his decision. They understood that the opportunity to manage Real Madrid was too much for a Spanish manager to disregard and they gave Rafa their blessing and subsequently appointed Slaven Bilic. The rest as they say is history and now we are where we are... Bilic on the brink and Rafa in their thoughts.
Now let's throw into the mix that Rafa has grown increasingly frustrated at Nufc this summer. He wanted more investment and he's stood and watched while even fellow 'promotees' Brighton and Huddersfield have spent significantly more. Meanwhile West Ham have signed Joe Hart (a player Rafa wanted) and also submitted a bid of close to 40m for William Carvalho (another Rafa target). Let that sink in... A 40 million pound bid for ONE player, that's more than Newcastle have spent on six new arrivals so far. That's financial muscle.
Only this week Rafa said that he no longer viewed Nufc as a long term project... Not my words, the words of the manager, while he's also said that he's "signing the players he can, not the ones that he wants". Needless to say, the positivity of last seasons promotion has disintegrated. And Rafa is clearly frustrated AND not afraid to tell the world.
Now let's consider West Ham as a potential long term project. They have the Olympic Stadium, they're based in London, in my opinion with the right manager at the helm they could be challenging the 'big boys' in the next 3-5 years both on and off the pitch. It's an attractive proposition on paper.
Now, from a personal point of view, I was gutted to be roundly criticised by lots of fellow Nufc fans for reporting the story both on air and online last night. Let me say that there's absolutely no agenda from me, so to be accused of stirring things up or creating stories to disrupt the club is absolutely ridiculous. I love Newcastle United and have done all my life. As a family we've still got our season tickets and I travel home and away as often as I can. Not in the press box, but with the fans... I pay for my tickets. I write a column in the Newcastle United program and let me clear this up once and for all, I recieve no money for this column at all and am not "on the payroll" as has been thrown at me in the past.
I fully understand that rumours of other clubs circling Rafa are not easy to stomach... I know this because I feel exactly the same, but sadly this story has legs and as someone who works as a sports reporter, but is also acutely aware that the majority of my 'followers' etc are Newcastle United fans, I felt it was my duty to keep you informed with the very latest concerning our manager. Although I'm sorry that in this instance the news was slightly concerning.
Finally this is anything but a done deal and there is still a massive reason why Rafa Benitez could very well stay at Newcastle United for years to come and continue to fight for the club.... and that reason is quite simply you lot; the fans. Rafa Benitez could manage for the next one thousand years and he'll never ever receive the adoration that he currently receives on Tyneside. He knows that and his family knows that! He can walk on water in Newcastle and rightly so. Subsequently it would really hurt him to walk away from those loyal geordie supporters that he's grown so fond of and this will be forefront in his thinking. His love for the fans is so strong that I believe it could be enough to make him stay, but he needs more support financially. Yesterday's brilliant 3-0 win and the atmosphere in the ground will also help!
As we stand today, Slaven Bilic remains West Ham manager and Rafa Benitez very much the manager of Newcastle United. However if I was the owner of Newcastle I'd be giving Rafa everything that he wants starting with more financial muscle in the remaining days of the transfer window... However sadly I'm not.
Thoughts welcome. HWTL

Zippity
27-08-2017, 12:45 PM
Where's that published, J?

toonlegend
27-08-2017, 12:47 PM
I'll send you a link on fb

toptoon
27-08-2017, 01:01 PM
I started reading that article disagreeing and not liking it, but , at the end, I realised that itīs good to have articles like this published. Ashley/Charnley have to be aware of this possibility.

There is much conjecture about finances at the club and I try to 'go' on the few facts that are available. Ashley said that every penny the club generates will be available to Rafa. It was and many fans get confused cos they donīt consider wages. As a promoted club we have less than others and Ashley confirmed recently that he wonīt be putting more of his own money in for now. Iīm not saying I like this but this is what the situation is. The likes of Huddersfield and Brighton had a lower wage bill and (I donīt know) their owners may have put personal money in to buy players???

If Ashley sticks to his word about 'every penny', then priority number one is to avoid relegation (and try to finish as high as possible) so that prize and TV money for the end of the season can be used to buy the players that rafa WANTS. This is a crucial season.

ashingtoon62
27-08-2017, 01:36 PM
A link...
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=697305420454319&id=260586700792862

sherwoodmag
27-08-2017, 02:07 PM
The weak link of this story is that Rafa has just seen the team he is building work their socks off to beat a West Ham side that were second best all day.

occult
27-08-2017, 02:11 PM
The transfer window is nearly over so if Rafa went to West Ham he'd be joining a club in a relegation struggle with the players now available. He may not be totally happy at NUFC but he's not a fool. As for history, I doubt whether Rafa feels he owes West Ham anything.

toonlegend
27-08-2017, 02:15 PM
not really a weak link. I don;t think he would leave us anyway UNLESS he is very PISSED off with ashley - thats where the problem lies

Jammy89
27-08-2017, 05:18 PM
not really a weak link. I don;t think he would leave us anyway UNLESS he is very PISSED off with ashley - thats where the problem lies

That's the biggest issue and the one that worries me the most.

It is concerning that he doesn't see us as long term project anymore :(

ashingtoon62
27-08-2017, 05:30 PM
The weak link of this story is that Rafa has just seen the team he is building work their socks off to beat a West Ham side that were second best all day.

There is a sickness in that club,they played and commited exactlly like we did,the last but one relegation.We all know what will happen next,Bilics for the chop.They have better and more experienced players than us,yet they were abysmal yesterday..
Im not saying that Rafas ganning to jump ship,but I am cacking mesell..:(

Zippity
27-08-2017, 05:55 PM
It's funny (well, not funny, obviously, but you know what I mean :D ) but I'm not worried in the slightest. I think he's a man of honour and because of the commitment he feels to the fans I don't think for a moment he'd jump ship now.

tooslomofo
27-08-2017, 06:15 PM
I don't think Rafa will walk he has to much class
Ashley won't sack him it would cost too much ...BUT...,,,
The worrying thing is if Rafa has a buy out clause
Because we know Ashley is a tight fisted cnut and would snap anyone's hand off that offers him cash for someone he sees as a pain in the ass
We know Ashley isn't interested in what's good for nufc
Or he would have made funds available to Rafa instead of buying a bigger chunk of Debenhams .
He is only interested in himself and shi te direct.

I can see him grabbing money and getting joe kinear back .
Our owner is such a wa nker and we are just his play thing
I'm sure he's like a kid with a magnifying glass
We are just the ants he enjoys scorching and torturing

TANYA_
27-08-2017, 06:28 PM
i said it yesterday before the game, not the best time to beat West Ham, the rumour mill was bound to go into overdrive
about Billic getting sacked and Rafa being linked with the Wet Spam job
We will be linked with Pardew soon, you mark my words.

That train is never late

can read the southern media like a book, they will have the angle that the retuning hero is open to resuming the magpies managerial role / he has unfinished business / never wanted to leave / etc etc, you all know the dance

Nufc24Mag
27-08-2017, 06:48 PM
i said it yesterday before the game, not the best time to beat West Ham, the rumour mill was bound to go into overdrive
about Billic getting sacked and Rafa being linked with the Wet Spam job
We will be linked with Pardew soon, you mark my words.

That train is never late

can read the southern media like a book, they will have the angle that the retuning hero is open to resuming the magpies managerial role / he has unfinished business / never wanted to leave / etc etc, you all know the dance

I'd f*cking flip my lid if we got pardew back

Zippity
27-08-2017, 06:49 PM
I'd f*cking flip my lid if we got pardew back

Never happen in 68 and a half billion years.

andyj73
27-08-2017, 07:13 PM
The transfer window is nearly over so if Rafa went to West Ham he'd be joining a club in a relegation struggle with the players now available. He may not be totally happy at NUFC but he's not a fool. As for history, I doubt whether Rafa feels he owes West Ham anything.

.. I'd be very surprised if Newcastle finish above West Ham mind. West Ham have a good squad with some good players and just need a bit of good man management and organisation .. Newcastle are definitely going to struggle. If he's offered the job it's a no-brainer for me ..

occult
27-08-2017, 07:22 PM
Question for toonlegend who started this thread with a mountain of speculation. When did Rafa say that he did not view NUFC as a long term project? What were his precise words?

Zippity
27-08-2017, 07:23 PM
.. I'd be very surprised if Newcastle finish above West Ham mind. West Ham have a good squad with some good players and just need a bit of good man management and organisation .. Newcastle are definitely going to struggle. If he's offered the job it's a no-brainer for me ..

I know you won't like to hear this, Andy, but if we get a couple of players in before the deadline I think we'll be ok. Yesterday showed how we can play (although I suppose so did Huddersfield :D ) and whilst West Ham were poor, our harrying and energy was a million times better than in either of the previous two games. Aye, one swallow and all that but I'm much more positive.

Kal
27-08-2017, 07:33 PM
.. it's a no-brainer for me ..:)

Of course it is.

toonlegend
27-08-2017, 08:09 PM
Question for toonlegend who started this thread with a mountain of speculation. When did Rafa say that he did not view NUFC as a long term project? What were his precise words?

i didn't hear the interview myself but he apparently said it at either his pre match press conference or the one before that

andyj73
27-08-2017, 08:22 PM
I know you won't like to hear this, Andy, but if we get a couple of players in before the deadline I think we'll be ok. Yesterday showed how we can play (although I suppose so did Huddersfield :D ) and whilst West Ham were poor, our harrying and energy was a million times better than in either of the previous two games. Aye, one swallow and all that but I'm much more positive.

.. Said a few times on here that the fat spanish waiter has you good at the back and getting a couple in could make all the difference mate, so I'm in agreement with you on this .. I still think it's going to be a bit of a struggle mind ..

Zippity
27-08-2017, 08:34 PM
Aye, it's definitely not going to be easy...the amount of quality in some teams is frightening. Still, I think if Rafa manages to get his targets I think lower mid table is possible. Then, if we stay up, the tv money will be Rafa's.

That's the plan, at least :D

toptoon
27-08-2017, 08:37 PM
i didn't hear the interview myself but he apparently said it at either his pre match press conference or the one before that

Iīm dubious - surely that wouldīve been headline news?

toonlegend
27-08-2017, 08:44 PM
http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/15497245.Newcastle__Benitez_exit_fears_grow_as_he_ admits_long_terms_plans_are_on_hold/?ref=arc

toonlegend
27-08-2017, 08:48 PM
Iīm dubious - surely that wouldīve been headline news?

no idea. i know a lot of people were talking about it on FB but I've been busy this week so haven't really been following news etc myself,

toptoon
27-08-2017, 08:51 PM
http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/15497245.Newcastle__Benitez_exit_fears_grow_as_he_ admits_long_terms_plans_are_on_hold/?ref=arc

Cheers - yes thatīs a worry. Hard to see if heīs blaming Mike or the stupidly priced transfer market but not as happy as he was a year ago, thatīs for sure.

andyj73
27-08-2017, 08:51 PM
.. It's moving the ****ers on which is going to be the problem. You are far better off biting the bullet now than in the Jan window, but I have full confidence that the Jan window could prove key ..

Aye, it's definitely not going to be easy...the amount of quality in some teams is frightening. Still, I think if Rafa manages to get his targets I think lower mid table is possible. Then, if we stay up, the tv money will be Rafa's.

That's the plan, at least :D

toptoon
27-08-2017, 08:55 PM
.. It's moving the ****ers on which is going to be the problem. You are far better off biting the bullet now than in the Jan window, but I have full confidence that the Jan window could prove key ..

If we can shift Riviere, then we can shift anyone.

toonlegend
27-08-2017, 08:56 PM
http://newcastleblog.net/?p=1946

Benitez said, “My aim is trying to improve things, so when I leave, whenever it is, I would like to be sure that the team and the football club will be better. Normally, managers talk about projects saying they need four or five years. I’m not talking about that, because you never know in football.

“But when we came here, we knew there were some issues and we had to improve things. I’m sure we have improved some things, but we need to improve more. What I want is that we have a football vision and allow the business to also be productive and make a profit, but football has to be a priority.”

Jammy89
27-08-2017, 08:59 PM
http://newcastleblog.net/?p=1946

Benitez said, “My aim is trying to improve things, so when I leave, whenever it is, I would like to be sure that the team and the football club will be better. Normally, managers talk about projects saying they need four or five years. I’m not talking about that, because you never know in football.

“But when we came here, we knew there were some issues and we had to improve things. I’m sure we have improved some things, but we need to improve more. What I want is that we have a football vision and allow the business to also be productive and make a profit, but football has to be a priority.”

Joy :( :( :(

toonlegend
27-08-2017, 10:02 PM
have you seen this ... i don't think the headline is correct, or I hope it isn't ..... it says an amicable agreement was reached ..... hmmmm really ??? laywers??? talks???? amicable ???? hmmmmmmm Is ashley laying the law down again? it wouldn't be the 1st time but yes it's the mirror ??? but .... surely he wasn't told to shut the **** up or words to that effect

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/newcastles-rafa-benitez-stop-transfer-11066709

Jammy89
27-08-2017, 10:10 PM
I did see on FB yesterday before this article came out someone saying there was a meeting between Rafa/Charnley/Lawyers straight after game - said he knew someone at St James who'd told him.

It's the mirror, so i take it with a heavy heavy pinch of salt but it is worrying.

Zippity
27-08-2017, 10:15 PM
Mind, it's in an article which claims Gayle could go for up to Ģ20 million.. :D

The leading scorer in the Chimpo went for Ģ15 mil-he scored more and is younger so about Ģ12 mil for Gayle, I reckon.

Mind, i wouldn't be entirely surprised if the main part of the story was true.

toonlegend
27-08-2017, 10:22 PM
it was the fact it said ashleys lawyer was present that set alarm bells ringing

Jammy89
27-08-2017, 10:25 PM
But that lawyer bloke has been all over the club in last 6 months.

I can well imagine he insists on being in any meetings regardless of how it can then be presented in press.

Zippity
27-08-2017, 10:38 PM
regardless of how it can then be presented in press.

Aye, this is the crux of it.

Those ****ehawks have their own agenda. :mad:

andyj73
27-08-2017, 10:42 PM
.. I see Raffa was seen with a hammer, mending his fence ..

Aye, this is the crux of it.

Those ****ehawks have their own agenda. :mad:

toonlegend
27-08-2017, 10:46 PM
But that lawyer bloke has been all over the club in last 6 months.

I can well imagine he insists on being in any meetings regardless of how it can then be presented in press.

has he ??? ah well

Jammy89
28-08-2017, 08:36 AM
has he ??? ah well

Yeh. Since Christmas, he's Ashleys man on the inside so to speak. Nothing really to do with club and reports directly to Ashley. . . who has no day to day control XD

ex_pat_magpie
28-08-2017, 08:36 AM

I would like to look upon that win as the first real building block.

Both Rafa and the team, including the whole squad will be buzzing when they see how the new lads have blended in and showing what they can do.

All we need now it to keep that enthusiasm up and a good respectable result against the next "big boys", Liverpool on 1st Oct would really get things going.

As well as this it would show Rafa that he can succeed here despite Ashley.

ashingtoon62
28-08-2017, 12:05 PM
He didnt quite say that,what he did say is very nearrrlly that.It was the presser for Wet Spam game.
He couldnt have said it in the one before..BECAUSE Ashleys fecking PR agent was fronting it..Now to me, his being there is a far more worrying thing than anything else that has cropped up so far..>:(

ashingtoon62
28-08-2017, 12:14 PM
Yeh. Since Christmas, he's Ashleys man on the inside so to speak. Nothing really to do with club and reports directly to Ashley. . . who has no day to day control XD

Aye Chris Barnes,a hard nosed corporate lawyer,Ashleys fixer in buying and selling..
PBORO might be on to something,Ithink there might be a sale?investment in the offing..
Please God let it be a sale...:O:?:D

dagenhamJohn
28-08-2017, 03:47 PM
Never happen in 68 and a half billion years.how many years!:)

dagenhamJohn
28-08-2017, 03:51 PM
this rumour has been doing the rounds for a while now, its no secret Westham favoured him above Bilic, still think the fat waiter could move, its all about money really, nothing else!
take care everyone
john.

Zippity
28-08-2017, 03:53 PM
how many years!:)

:D Many, many years.

Do you want Bilic gone, John?

dagenhamJohn
28-08-2017, 04:06 PM
:D Many, many years.

Do you want Bilic gone, John?to be honest mate this is no kneejerk opinion, last season we were weak, this season he has had a whole preseason prep, we are now 3 games in and have lost to a Toon team that didn:t even sport a recognisable LB and had lost to Uddersfield....
our next game is the Udders, if we lose or draw he's gone imo!

Zippity
28-08-2017, 04:14 PM
Aye, reckon he wouldn't survive a defeat. Shame, really, as I liked his attitude but you lads have had to watch his sides so it's harder for us to say stick with him.

dagenhamJohn
28-08-2017, 04:19 PM
Aye, reckon he wouldn't survive a defeat. Shame, really, as I liked his attitude but you lads have had to watch his sides so it's harder for us to say stick with him.a massive likeable bloke to be honest, had a chat with him in Germany when we played werder bremen, top geezer no end, but this ios about survival mate!
hope he gets it right because we don't want to be a prawn sarnie outfit but time is running out....