PDA

View Full Version : Building a good squad

CLIVETHELEEDSFAN
30-08-2017, 04:24 PM
This is how you do it, 7 players signed new contracts, 13 new players signed, several more recruited for the u23s, one player promoted from last seasons u23s to first team squad, and unused players moved on, its not rocket science but its great how Andrea has gone about his business with the squad, MOT!!!

Silentman
30-08-2017, 07:32 PM
In fairness to Orta he's really got the business done this season and signing up some of our existing players inc Dallas today is a really important part of building the squad that we've not been able to do well for quite some time.

Rev72
31-08-2017, 11:56 AM
A few weren't happy when Orta was appointed were they. :)

godlikegiles
31-08-2017, 01:12 PM
A few weren't happy when Orta was appointed were they. :)

Thats just not true the man never said orta never had a clue never said the signings were all from inferior foreign leagues and would never hack it in the uber class English championship.The league where real Englishmen play dont matter that 90% of the Englishmen never learned to pass a ball, as long as they're English enough theyre good enough for Leeds,or at least i think that was the gist of most of his preseason vilification of players he had never seen knew nothing about and never looked further than if they were brits and had played in any English league at all.

WTF11
31-08-2017, 01:22 PM
Thats just not true the man never said orta never had a clue never said the signings were all from inferior foreign leagues and would never hack it in the uber class English championship.The league where real Englishmen play dont matter that 90% of the Englishmen never learned to pass a ball, as long as they're English enough theyre good enough for Leeds,or at least i think that was the gist of most of his preseason vilification of players he had never seen knew nothing about and never looked further than if they were brits and had played in any English league at all.

Careful, remember your blood pressure.

Honestly can't be arsed to dissect that nonesense.

My criticisms of the guy stand, regarding nepotism and his record in the run up to his appointment at Leeds. The number of new players brought in who have actually performed well remains small in comparison the number actually signed up. I'm delighted that Saiz and Elioski have proved me wrong, great stuff and f00k the criticism of being greedy. If they create chances as they have, goals will follow, from them or other players, but apart from Anita, who else brought in has actually shown real skill or at least the potential?

And if you want to get into another strand of the argument, show me how Leeds are benefitting from the huge number of young, foreign players now out in Spain being paid for by Leeds whilst showcasing to the european market, whilst the door is just about closed on new English youth players joining what remains of the Academy at Thorp Arch?

whitestomper45
31-08-2017, 01:59 PM
Any Leeds youngun showcasing his wares anywhere, will it may surprise you will likely be noted by our club. If not judged ready or good enough for 1st team then at worst they can sell him at a likely a large profit. If it's to a Spanish club it will help LUFC build further good relationships in one of the best leagues in the world, where PL teams notoriously usually pay way over the odds for players.

Now picking on Recruitment/Academy with the usual what might go wrong scenario via his insightful insider knowledge ... nice one .... what next for the positive thinking WTF

WTF11
31-08-2017, 02:16 PM
Any Leeds youngun showcasing his wares anywhere, will it may surprise you will likely be noted by our club. If not judged ready or good enough for 1st team then at worst they can sell him at a likely a large profit. If it's to a Spanish club it will help LUFC build further good relationships in one of the best leagues in the world, where PL teams notoriously usually pay way over the odds for players.

Now picking on Recruitment/Academy with the usual what might go wrong scenario via his insightful insider knowledge ... nice one .... what next for the positive thinking WTF

Careful (as always) to skirt round anything that might not align with your view of our new management (number of new signings actually delivering)), and equally selective regarding the answer relating to the Leeds Academy.

So the relationship with Cultural is precisely as I described, a shop window for young players, funded by Leeds (us, the fans if you ignored that, those who are unlikely to see any of these in a month of Sundays), and the fact that our senior management team have close financial links with Cultural and will benefit personally from that is what, coincidence? Why couldn't that same investment be put into the Leeds Academy, and use that directly related institution to grow these same young players, irrespective of where they come from around the world? Ah, I know, because the coaches we employ and the opposition we face isn't good enough to grow skills required when those players face their senior debuts???

And please tell me how shipping these new signings out to Cultural will help to improve the performance of the LEEDS U23, the side that came in for so much criticism last season?

whitestomper45
31-08-2017, 03:34 PM
As if previous managements have had a fantastic ratio of successful signings

What a negative you really are..... Why can't we have a good academy in Leeds and a setup in Spain and/or anywhere else. You think AR is going to set anything up that will be a negative or drain to the development of Leeds United, where his goal is to gain this club promotion? No lets us make up something about all of them being more obsessed with making money from a few young signings.

Have you not seen the new players in the U23s? And what's wrong with them playing in Spain against the likes of Barcelona II, Tenerife, Granada, Sporting Gijon and more? Tougher than U23's I'd say.

As long as they are developing it can be at Leeds, Cultural or Accrington

No better to keep with your conspiracy theories...3rd in table, unbeaten, best squad in a while and all you can do is try pick holes... you bore most people on here with your relentless sniping

Tichi1
31-08-2017, 04:05 PM
Careful, remember your blood pressure.

Honestly can't be arsed to dissect that nonesense.

My criticisms of the guy stand, regarding nepotism and his record in the run up to his appointment at Leeds. The number of new players brought in who have actually performed well remains small in comparison the number actually signed up. I'm delighted that Saiz and Elioski have proved me wrong, great stuff and f00k the criticism of being greedy. If they create chances as they have, goals will follow, from them or other players, but apart from Anita, who else brought in has actually shown real skill or at least the potential?

And if you want to get into another strand of the argument, show me how Leeds are benefitting from the huge number of young, foreign players now out in Spain being paid for by Leeds whilst showcasing to the european market, whilst the door is just about closed on new English youth players joining what remains of the Academy at Thorp Arch?

Sometimes fella it just pays to keep your powder dry and say nowt until you actually SEE what happens next.
You will likely be eating lots and lots of pie this season......but then again ........

It was inevitable.

as you are fond of saying - Hook,line and stinker! :heart:

Tichi1
31-08-2017, 04:08 PM
and it's actually embarrasing watching you squirm and "like" comments given things have started so good - ought to call you "WTF George" - as in "Osborne" with his/your "project fear" shyte all close season. lol

Rev72
31-08-2017, 04:17 PM
Fair point Tichi regarding the wait and see comment..a few of these signings were a bit of a concern mainly due to them been 'Unknowns' from a foreign club but in my mind I was always willing to trust the judgement of an owner who has pumped millions into the club.

You could call it shrewd business looking at the price we have paid for some of these foreign imports..wonder how much they would have cost had they been English..at least double what we have paid for sure.

Cracking job been done by all concerned.B)

WTF11
31-08-2017, 04:25 PM
As if previous managements have had a fantastic ratio of successful signings

What a negative you really are..... Why can't we have a good academy in Leeds and a setup in Spain and/or anywhere else. You think AR is going to set anything up that will be a negative or drain to the development of Leeds United, where his goal is to gain this club promotion? No lets us make up something about all of them being more obsessed with making money from a few young signings.

Have you not seen the new players in the U23s? And what's wrong with them playing in Spain against the likes of Barcelona II, Tenerife, Granada, Sporting Gijon and more? Tougher than U23's I'd say.

As long as they are developing it can be at Leeds, Cultural or Accrington

No better to keep with your conspiracy theories...3rd in table, unbeaten, best squad in a while and all you can do is try pick holes... you bore most people on here with your relentless sniping

Answer your own question, why can't we have a good Academy here? What investment has there been in the Academy whilst the deal with Cultural commits the club to large scale operating costs that have no clear objective?

Care to name any new young player signed during the close season who isn't going to Cultural with the exception of those such as Grit who are 1st team squad member's (who I don't think require Academy support)?

All those at Cultural going to hop on a plane and play for Leeds U23s, then hop on a plane and go back, I think not.

As for getting promotion, you seriously think that the u23s will play any part in that? It's those brought in who go straight into the 1st team who's job it will be to secure promotion, Culturals job to develop the young players ready for sale (fattening up, in animal husbandry terms) and a nice little earner directly into the pockets of our senior management team. You think otherwise, on what basis, we sit around for a couple of years until they "get good enough?

We will see in due course just what product Cultural churn out.

WTF11
31-08-2017, 04:27 PM
and it's actually embarrasing watching you squirm and "like" comments given things have started so good - ought to call you "WTF George" - as in "Osborne" with his/your "project fear" shyte all close season. lol

I'll "like" whatever I wish Tich (even some of your posts from time to time, after they aren't all bad)

whitestomper45
31-08-2017, 05:56 PM
Answer your own question, why can't we have a good Academy here? What investment has there been in the Academy whilst the deal with Cultural commits the club to large scale operating costs that have no clear objective?

Care to name any new young player signed during the close season who isn't going to Cultural with the exception of those such as Grit who are 1st team squad member's (who I don't think require Academy support)?

All those at Cultural going to hop on a plane and play for Leeds U23s, then hop on a plane and go back, I think not.

As for getting promotion, you seriously think that the u23s will play any part in that? It's those brought in who go straight into the 1st team who's job it will be to secure promotion, Culturals job to develop the young players ready for sale (fattening up, in animal husbandry terms) and a nice little earner directly into the pockets of our senior management team. You think otherwise, on what basis, we sit around for a couple of years until they "get good enough?

We will see in due course just what product Cultural churn out.
We do have a good, improved U23/Academy its not been an either or with Leonese.
Where did I say the U23s will play a part in our promotion? They will though as with any reserve/youth/feeder team the main function is to develop potential that hopefully make it to the 1st team.. that and getting injured players match fit.

U23 season kicks off tomorrow with many new signings..just read the teamsheet you'll find all the names you need there, 8 new lads signed to the academy in May. We have a new U23 coach with vast experience at Spanish giant Villarreal and more. Cultural Leonesa are an official feeder club to Leeds United, no hidden agenda, do you suggest underhand dealings are going on at Guiseley too?

I can't understand the rest of your rambling... enjoy your miserable outlook on LUFC progress

dogcopmarchingon
31-08-2017, 06:25 PM
Keep having to pinch myself, No other clubs casts off's like xmas what to open next Wow

Rev72
31-08-2017, 06:42 PM
Keep having to pinch myself, No other clubs casts off's like xmas what to open next Wow

Wouldn't mind opening that chick in your Avatar pic :)

CLIVETHELEEDSFAN
31-08-2017, 11:50 PM
anyone watching the u23s tomorrow? it will be interesting to see who plays

id presume it wont include anyone with a first team squad number, bar maybe stokes, would have had wilks but hes out on loan, BPF might play as we now have lonergan as backup for wiedwald, I reckon gomes might play too as he is probably at the bottom of the pile in our first team squad. I'm guessing the half dozen or so that we have signed specifically for the youth team will feature, Shaughnessy wont as hes been called up by Ireland plus I think hes too important a backup at cb with pennington not back yet from injury, I'm hoping the academy is still bringing through british talent but we shall see tomorrow

other prospects are likely to be will huffer who is an England youth GK, romario Vieira brother of ronny, O'Connor made the bench in the cup so maybe he will be a regular in the u23s, then theres the couple of foreign strikers signed from barca kun and siddiki kun has a long surname and I aint sure ive spelt sid right either), anyhow we'll see how it goes tomorrow, hope we win and play well

spaldy
01-09-2017, 11:25 AM
I really don't understand how you could be anything but pleased on the way the teams gone this summer?

did any other team in the championship come close to the off season we did? let me know if I"m overlooking someone. we started a from a weaker position that several of the clubs but no one ate up more ground than we did.

we weren't even in the playoffs last year and we are as legit as anyone in the league for automatic promotion.

jimmybn
01-09-2017, 03:05 PM
I really don't understand how you could be anything but pleased on the way the teams gone this summer?

did any other team in the championship come close to the off season we did? let me know if I"m overlooking someone. we started a from a weaker position that several of the clubs but no one ate up more ground than we did.

we weren't even in the playoffs last year and we are as legit as anyone in the league for automatic promotion.

A madman sees what he sees.... :zzz:

OldWhiteTaff
01-09-2017, 03:14 PM
I think there's a lot of in-built pessimism after so many years of disappointment, it's kind of hard to really believe this might be a genuine upturn in fortune. Yes we've had a great start, and yes our signings look the best we've had for many a long year, but in this league you're only ever a handful of results away from sliding back down the table, and Burton at home is just the sort of banana skin that might trip us up........

Tichi1
01-09-2017, 03:19 PM
I think there's a lot of in-built pessimism after so many years of disappointment, it's kind of hard to really believe this might be a genuine upturn in fortune. Yes we've had a great start, and yes our signings look the best we've had for many a long year, but in this league you're only ever a handful of results away from sliding back down the table, and Burton at home is just the sort of banana skin that might trip us up........

Ohhh No.....

Is this new member really a new member - or just a "Member"?
WTF11 looks likely to have an ally....:s

OldWhiteTaff
01-09-2017, 03:26 PM
No just an old timer who's been beaten down a bit.... (and I'm not entirely new round here, was previously Old White Turning but couldn't find an easy way to change my nickname so started again). But like I say, having seen us play as well as I can remember for a long long time at Forest, there's definitely cautious optimism, and I really hope this is our year, but 5 games doesn't make a definitive statement one way or the other. If we're still up there in the top two or three by mid-November then yes, I'll really start to believe (especially if it's due to us continuing to play the type of football we saw at Forest and Sunderland).

whitestomper45
01-09-2017, 03:45 PM

We're Leeds fans so I can live with "this is too good to be true/it can't last" attitude. It's the constant sniping and coming down against the club with many decisions and this despite the massive investment in ground, youth, 1st team, scouting, backroom staff. e.g : Green/Monk leaving.... without knowing the conversations or events that led up to either going, had to be the clubs fault. Just because Monk overall exceeded expectations and Green played well last season at times the club don't have to fawn all over them. The bar was clearly being raised for this season and change was afoot, maybe both had their heads turned.

And if we side with old misery's view that it was the clubs fault.... It wouldn't be the first or last time that a club intent on improving have cleared the decks for what they perceive better options. You only have to look at Chelsea and say Watford who have made tough decisions.

I don't believe this has happened, I believe both Green and Monk were given the chance to stay.

Tichi1
01-09-2017, 04:16 PM
No just an old timer who's been beaten down a bit.... (and I'm not entirely new round here, was previously Old White Turning but couldn't find an easy way to change my nickname so started again). But like I say, having seen us play as well as I can remember for a long long time at Forest, there's definitely cautious optimism, and I really hope this is our year, but 5 games doesn't make a definitive statement one way or the other. If we're still up there in the top two or three by mid-November then yes, I'll really start to believe (especially if it's due to us continuing to play the type of football we saw at Forest and Sunderland).

Glad to here it "Old timer" just that we seem to get quite a few bods appearing on here from time to time purporting to be genuine Leeds fans - who gradually turn out to be trolls, so gad to hear it doesn't apply - welcome aboard matey!

Get your positive head on and enjoy the ride!

CLIVETHELEEDSFAN
01-09-2017, 04:52 PM
Will be interesting to see how Cardiff do when they lose, also when do we play Cardiff?

OldWhiteTaff
02-09-2017, 09:24 AM
Tuesday 26th September, away. So 5 games time, by which time we should have a much clearer picture of how we're going, and whether they're genuine contenders or not.

Billyni
02-09-2017, 09:28 AM
Tuesday 26th September, away. So 5 games time, by which time we should have a much clearer picture of how we're going, and whether they're genuine contenders or not.

Hmm. The jury could be out on you, old timer.

OldWhiteTaff
02-09-2017, 10:07 AM
Howso ? Like I've already said, things right now are looking better than they have for a very long time, at every level, and yes i couldn't agree more that we've started excellently, but I'm not one of those that go overboard every time we win a game, and neither do I start shouting sack the manager/board/players every time we lose a few.........

espaņablanco73
02-09-2017, 10:08 AM
Dont you be coming on here with your sensible opinions ffs!

OldWhiteTaff
02-09-2017, 11:08 AM
haha yes, I need to get a grip !!!

Rev72
02-09-2017, 11:23 AM

From what I have already seen I would say we are top 6 contenders..5 games time will tell us if we are top 2 contenders.

That is how I see it and I am always right. :O

Aren't I lads :)

Rev72
02-09-2017, 01:10 PM
Can't believe no one has given oldwhitetaff the usual welcome :O

Well let the Rev be the first :)

Welcome to the board oldwhitetaff..now f*ck off you trialist c*nt ! :D

MOT ALAW B)

fredlufc74
02-09-2017, 01:15 PM
Beating Forest and Sunderland away was what I think has opened up many peoples eyes. Yes we drew are first two home games but the team needed time to gel so I'm not to worried about that as we remain unbeaten and it seems we can get goals from a lot of different players than seasons past.

Some of the players from last year looks like they have improved especially Cooper, Dallas, O'Kane and Phillips. Roofe has come on as well after a year to settling in two leagues higher. Ayling is carrying on the form he showed us last season. We haven't seen much of Viera yet and I'm looking forward to that.

Shaughnessy has impressed some except of course that penalty he gave away, but looks like he can push the others for a spot if we have a few injuries/suspensions at the back. And that is the one factor where I think we have most improved. Our squad looks more versatile and there is more competition within the team to be picked for the match day squad, plus we have cover in all areas of the pitch.

Like most people I have spoken too, the most stand out players are Alioski and Saiz. I like the way they play and read the game Pretty sure there is more too come from them and hopefully the other new signings.

Think the team looks more balanced this season and I'm loving the attack minded play of the games. Well done to TC and his team.

Hats off as well to the management and owner. Getting ER back and from what I can see, building for the future of the club.

Tichi1
02-09-2017, 02:35 PM
Beating Forest and Sunderland away was what I think has opened up many peoples eyes. Yes we drew are first two home games but the team needed time to gel so I'm not to worried about that as we remain unbeaten and it seems we can get goals from a lot of different players than seasons past.

Some of the players from last year looks like they have improved especially Cooper, Dallas, O'Kane and Phillips. Roofe has come on as well after a year to settling in two leagues higher. Ayling is carrying on the form he showed us last season. We haven't seen much of Viera yet and I'm looking forward to that.

Shaughnessy has impressed some except of course that penalty he gave away, but looks like he can push the others for a spot if we have a few injuries/suspensions at the back. And that is the one factor where I think we have most improved. Our squad looks more versatile and there is more competition within the team to be picked for the match day squad, plus we have cover in all areas of the pitch.

Like most people I have spoken too, the most stand out players are Alioski and Saiz. I like the way they play and read the game Pretty sure there is more too come from them and hopefully the other new signings.

Think the team looks more balanced this season and I'm loving the attack minded play of the games. Well done to TC and his team.

Hats off as well to the management and owner. Getting ER back and from what I can see, building for the future of the club.

Good post mate - well balanced.
Looks like while getting a little excited about current performances - no one seems to be getting too carried away, best bet if you ask me - no egg on face or pie eating necessary........

espaņablanco73
02-09-2017, 03:11 PM
From what I have already seen I would say we are top 6 contenders..5 games time will tell us if we are top 2 contenders.

That is how I see it and I am always right. :O

Aren't I lads :)

Top 1 contenders Rev, say it how it is ffs!

CLIVETHELEEDSFAN
02-09-2017, 03:59 PM
I've a really good feeling about this season

Rev72
02-09-2017, 05:37 PM
Top 1 contenders Rev, say it how it is ffs!

Was going to BB but thought it was a little too positive. O:)

espaņablanco73
02-09-2017, 05:54 PM
unbeaten, some time off to bed in the new lads, and a couple of banker home games coming up, sets the season up nicely imo, can see us in and around top spot all season. Not sure what the doomsayers will think about that, maybe we can complain about ticket prices, parking, the pies or the colour of the bog roll instead?

OldWhiteTaff
02-09-2017, 06:44 PM
Can't believe no one has given oldwhitetaff the usual welcome

Well let the Rev be the first

Welcome to the board oldwhitetaff..now f*ck off you trialist c*nt ! :D

MOT ALAW B)

Haha F*ck off the lot of you :P

So, back to the point, I really can't wait for the Burton game, and if we beat them with a convincing performance then the expectation level will ratchet up another notch. I just hope TC and the team can keep their feet on the ground in that sort of pressure cooker. But from what I've seen of him so far I think he's got the right temperament, and one advantage the foreign boys do have is that they've all played at the top level in other European leagues. So with any luck we won't have that to worry about either :)

george_kaplan
02-09-2017, 07:03 PM
I try to keep a even keel, on when we win or lose, this season has started with a buzz about the whole place. To me and I dare say many, many LEEDS fans it's not just about winning/losing but more importantly IMO .....how we win and how we lose. Early doors yes but we seem to be winning games as a team, we are getting a good balance, the players we have (so far) seem to give a Schitt, the ones that don't are out the door......

Tichi1
04-09-2017, 08:55 AM
Correct George
Trying not to be too disappointed when we lose, and feet on the ground when we win makes for a happier time in general - if expectations don't get silly then the disappointments are less frequent.

There are so many more important things in life [Despite what Shankly said] to get too upset about a football match.

george_kaplan
04-09-2017, 10:07 AM
Correct George
Trying not to be too disappointed when we lose, and feet on the ground when we win makes for a happier time in general - if expectations don't get silly then the disappointments are less frequent.

There are so many more important things in life [Despite what Shankly said] to get too upset about a football match.

Cheers mate, yeah don't I know it....

Don't sweat the small stuff.