PDA

View Full Version : Alan Hardy needs help with his PR

TheNottinghamMan
01-09-2017, 09:10 AM
beginning of the season Alan went on about WOW signings quality squad & that his phone was red hot with players. he
pumped up the club so much even I though WOW we going for it here,

But that PR was just before season tickets were put on sale. Yes Alan wants the best for the club of course he does, But the way he speaks he needs to think how he comes across,

Alan is a very me me me me type of man. that's his choice & he has so far done financially well in his life.

On Twitter some of the stuff he comes out with is laughable. the other week after Accrington Draw he came out with. It shows how far we have come when we have drawn a game and we not happy with a draw. what a load of crap. we messed up simple as.

hope he learns fast as people will start to take what he says as a pinch of salt

think we messed up yesterday in the transfer window. I cannot see it being that there was no player available better than what we have, If its because we don't have the funds then just say that so we understand, don't go on about we have a good enough squad, when every tom dick & harry knows if we get a couple of injuries we are knackered .

Anyway I will be at Port Vale tomorrow & hopefully 3 points

irishpete
01-09-2017, 09:22 AM
You mean "Spin Dr"?:D.Honestly think he has bitten off more than he can chew,by buying Notts.Probably a bigger hole than he thought,but never going to admit it in public.#trust#faith#wow ;D

DomdomPie
01-09-2017, 10:14 AM
I think it's a learning curve for him. He thought he could get his wallet out and pick and choose the players he wanted, but it's not that simple.

Personally I don't think this squad is automatic promotion material, but it's pretty decent and very few teams at our level have huge strength in depth. Who knows where we'll end up?

Meanwhile Hardy's making huge a investment into the infrastructure of the club, which should not be sniffed at. The "WOW signing" comment was stupid, but we've made a solid start to the season so hopefully we can have an enjoyable season. COYP!

countygump
01-09-2017, 10:21 AM
[QUOTE=TheNottinghamMan;38641079]beginning of the season Alan went on about WOW signings quality squad & that his phone was red hot with players. he
pumped up the club so much even I though WOW we going for it here.[/QUOTE

Wow's on 1st.
Who?????? is on 2nd and WTF is on turd.

irishpete
01-09-2017, 10:23 AM
I think it's a learning curve for him. He thought he could get his wallet out and pick and choose the players he wanted, but it's not that simple.

Personally I don't think this squad is automatic promotion material, but it's pretty decent and very few teams at our level have huge strength in depth. Who knows where we'll end up?

Meanwhile Hardy's making huge a investment into the infrastructure of the club, which should not be sniffed at. The "WOW signing" comment was stupid, but we've made a solid start to the season so hopefully we can have an enjoyable season. COYP!

We made a solid start last season,means feck all,as we found out.

Proudpie
01-09-2017, 11:27 AM
I asked Alan about his WOW type comments in a recent web chat in the Post and he replied that he did regret it and would try to be more "low key" in future. Whether he has done this is open for discussion.

I am sure he has Notts best interests at heart, he wouldn't be spending his hard earned cash in the club otherwise.

I don't expect us to be competing with Luton and Coventry in signing Akinde, Godden, James Collins and the other best players in L2.

I do however expect us to be competitive with clubs of a similar size, Grimsby, Exeter, Lincoln etc.

AH's and KN's financial/transfer activity will be the ultimate test of how far we have come or end up.

About that new striker and centre half.....

I too will be at Vale Park tomorrow to see the new look team/squad.

COYP

MAD_MAGPIE
01-09-2017, 11:59 AM
beginning of the season Alan went on about WOW signings quality squad & that his phone was red hot with players. he
pumped up the club so much even I though WOW we going for it here,

But that PR was just before season tickets were put on sale. Yes Alan wants the best for the club of course he does, But the way he speaks he needs to think how he comes across,

Alan is a very me me me me type of man. that's his choice & he has so far done financially well in his life.

On Twitter some of the stuff he comes out with is laughable. the other week after Accrington Draw he came out with. It shows how far we have come when we have drawn a game and we not happy with a draw. what a load of crap. we messed up simple as.

hope he learns fast as people will start to take what he says as a pinch of salt

think we messed up yesterday in the transfer window. I cannot see it being that there was no player available better than what we have, If its because we don't have the funds then just say that so we understand, don't go on about we have a good enough squad, when every tom dick & harry knows if we get a couple of injuries we are knackered .

Anyway I will be at Port Vale tomorrow & hopefully 3 points

I think you are being a bit harsh in your criticism. It might be a bit of excitement / naivety on AH's part in terms of "Wow" signing so I don't know why so many people hang onto a certain word that someone says. I don't think AH should be shot down for it. He's only been a football chairman for 8 months and this summer is the first proper transfer window that we have had. We have no idea who we, were or not looking to bring in. Some of the targets are not going to come off and it's probably tough getting the players we want. He's probably learned from that.

It's clear that he has the club at heart and let's not forget how we managed to get our transfer embargo lifted in January at the 11th hour, so that we could make signings and he brought in Nolan who then went on to keep our football league status. The club was in dire straights at the turn of the year so we did well to recover and stay up as that was the short term goal.

Plus there have been improvements to the infrastructure as well which makes the club seem more professional which may help to attract the players we want. We've also brought in some players with an eye to the future.

I don't want us to make signings for signings sake. We did that too many times in the Trew era and look how that turned out. Yes I would like us to get a pacy striker and another centre back, but it's not an ideal world, we are Notts County. Whilst I do agree that if we get a key injury then it could have a big impact then we may just have to ride it out and then see where we are in January.

andy6025
01-09-2017, 12:27 PM
It's capitalism, mate. People relate less and less as human beings and more and more as bearers of material goods to be exchanged. He has his club and he wants your money, and like many others in his position he thinks he'll get more if he tells fibs and/or stretches the truth.

Do away with capitalism and build a system where it's in everyone's interests to be truthful. Systems where it isn't are doomed to fail.

keldsyke
01-09-2017, 12:52 PM
It's capitalism, mate. People relate less and less as human beings and more and more as bearers of material goods to be exchanged. He has his club and he wants your money, and like many others in his position he thinks he'll get more if he tells fibs and/or stretches the truth.

Do away with capitalism and build a system where it's in everyone's interests to be truthful. Systems where it isn't are doomed to fail.

Unfortunately i fear if it wasn't for AH you wouldn't have a club to (and I use this word very loosely where you are concerned) ' support '

keldsyke
01-09-2017, 12:52 PM

Unfortunately i fear if it wasn't for AH you wouldn't have a club to (and I use this word very loosely where you are concerned) ' support ', perhaps the groomer has a team you can support?

JoePass
01-09-2017, 01:53 PM

Keep off the spice mate.

matt_magpie
01-09-2017, 02:04 PM
Hold your head in shame Mr Hardy saying "Wow", how dare you get carried away. He's new to the business he would have agents giving him the bigun on some decent names saying he could get them at a reasonable price but that's what agents do, they stir up interest with the scattergun approach.
Then everyone's saying we need a striker, we are averaging 2 goals a game, no the strikers aren't getting them all but that's the system we are playing, get it up to them and get others involved.
I think it's a good solid start with sensible signings, I wish the football was a bit prettier but we are doing alright.

Bridg4d_Pie_
01-09-2017, 02:47 PM
Unfortunately i fear if it wasn't for AH you wouldn't have a club to (and I use this word very loosely where you are concerned) ' support ', perhaps the groomer has a team you can support?

Spot on too many football pundits trolling on this board pretending they know it all, in essence they know S.F.A. we are lucky as you rightly say to still have a club after once again being dragged to the Brink for the second time in what 15 years.

I am still trying to find where it was announced by the Powers That be at the lane that we are going for promotion this season.

Kevin Nolan who is the one that counts suggested that it was a season of building a platform, laying the foundations for a push next season. he did not want promotion if it could not be sustained in the league above and rightly so. Peoples expectations on this board are too high lets get some stability then push on, this club was in a hell of a state we are lucky to still be in business.

Just celebrate we have a team to support and somewhere to support this season and see what happens, if I wanted to hear Bull $h1t about this player and that player that we should be signing or loaning I could sit and watch Sky Channel 409 its spoken of 24 hours a day.

I just want to keep coming to the Lane and enjoying the experience which I am doing for the first time in many a year.

upthemaggies
01-09-2017, 04:24 PM
Presumably Hardy's approach to making this club successful will be the same way he would approach interior design, he's going to be thinking in those terms. Anybody who knows anything about that process will probably be able to spot key phrases associated with (or relevant to) that industry cropping up regularly in his tweets and interviews. It's not something I'm familiar with but, basically, I would guess his thing is to visualise an end result, create the space for it and then go about meticulously fitting all of the bits and pieces together.

Whoever's running the show projects their own psyche onto the football club. For 6 months we literally became the embodiment of a bloated scam fantasy propped up by an imaginary walking stick, then you've got Ray Trew who would have been thinking in terms of presenting solutions to problems almost literally overnight, as that's what the recruitment industry demands, and if it isn't good enough, it can swiftly be replaced. As Ray Trew loses interest, then you begin to see a projection of where Mrs Trew's head is at.

Alan Hardy strikes me as a man with a very clear vision of what this club is going to look like in x years time, a vision that includes far more detail than just waving at the fans from the Pavis stand balcony, soaking up the adulation following a promotion. He'll be excited by that vision and of course he's going to talk it up, but it's not something that's easily brought into focus from a supporter's perspective.

I'm sure we'd all love to see somebody with the pragmatism and people skills of a Jack Dunnett in charge, but they just don't make chairman like that anymore. You've got to give this guy time. Hoping for promotion this season is fine, but demanding it, just one season after being on the brink of oblivion - on and off the pitch - is ridiculous.

kill_the_drum
01-09-2017, 04:59 PM
Hardy has pumped millions into the club, invested in players and a manager that completely changed our fortunes last season. Only 4 teams have started the season better than us including Mansfield who many fans were using as a comparison to express our lack of ambition.
And after all that some brain dead fans can't see past the fact he used a term of 'wow' signings that didn't come off.
That's what the man is up against. He's a rookie club owner, will make mistakes but many won't forgive him for it regardless of what's happening on the pitch!

Old_pie
01-09-2017, 05:01 PM
Spot on too many football pundits trolling on this board pretending they know it all, in essence they know S.F.A. we are lucky as you rightly say to still have a club after once again being dragged to the Brink for the second time in what 15 years.

I am still trying to find where it was announced by the Powers That be at the lane that we are going for promotion this season.

Almost every week on twitter, eg today

Alan Hardy‏Verified account @Bigalanh5 6h6 hours ago

No lack of ambition from me pal. Invested over £1m in facilities over the close season to drive performance
#promotion

Kevin Nolan who is the one that counts

You wanna bet who'd win in a disagreement between the two?