PDA

View Full Version : so now we know our squad

CLIVETHELEEDSFAN
01-09-2017, 10:51 PM
Wiedwald Lonergan Farrell Berardi Ayling Anita Jackson Gomes Jansson Pennington Shaughnessy Cooper Okane Phillips Klich Vieira Saiz Hernandez Alioski Dallas Sacko Lasogga Grot Ekuban Roofe Cibicki Stokes

my initial thoughts are, I like it!

some good players in every position, some versatile players who can play in multiple positions, and not forgetting Coyle Denton and Wilks who have gone out on loan to gain some valuable match minutes, we saw how it worked out for previous academy graduates to go on ln to gain experience and it in some cases worked out really well, I hope does for those 3. its probably curtains for Murphy and Antonsson who have also gone out on loan, our other fringe players have been sold or released.

many of the above are untried as they are new however on paper this squad looks better than last seasons and so far we are unbeaten while playing a much better style of football, thanks to the ideas of our new head coach Christiansen.

I HATE these international breaks, cannot wait for our next match, we haven't fluked our unbeaten start either, we genuinely look unbeatable, really interested to see what our brand new players can bring to the pitch, I could see several players all hitting 10 goals or more which after selling 1 player who got half of the entire squads goals last season, its going to be different this time. if I have 1 doubt, its Cooper, However!!!, even he has started the season well, and if Christiansen can get him to play well, he can get any player to play well imo.

top 2 again imo is achievable this season, there are no teams with the strength of I hate to say it Newcastle from last season, Cardiff wont win every game, and as good a manager as McCarthy is, i don't think Ipswich will stay up there either, this really is our best chance for promotion, BRING IT ON!

MOT!!!

joellufcprice
01-09-2017, 11:04 PM
Looks good as long as Wiedwald, Jansson and Ayling don't pick up injuries

espaņablanco73
02-09-2017, 06:58 AM
wouldnt go so far as to say we look unbeatable, but much better certainly. We have started games too late imo, and weve been lucky that by the time we grew into these matches, the opposition didnt bother taking advantage.
The international break has come at an ideal time for us with so many new additions, valuable time on the training ground gelling is whats needed at the moment.
Never underestimate the value of confidence though, if the players believe it, the coach believes it, and we the fans believe it, it just might happen!

WTF11
02-09-2017, 08:31 AM
Wiedwald Lonergan Farrell Berardi Ayling Anita Jackson Gomes Jansson Pennington Shaughnessy Cooper Okane Phillips Klich Vieira Saiz Hernandez Alioski Dallas Sacko Lasogga Grot Ekuban Roofe Cibicki Stokes

my initial thoughts are, I like it!

some good players in every position, some versatile players who can play in multiple positions, and not forgetting Coyle Denton and Wilks who have gone out on loan to gain some valuable match minutes, we saw how it worked out for previous academy graduates to go on ln to gain experience and it in some cases worked out really well, I hope does for those 3. its probably curtains for Murphy and Antonsson who have also gone out on loan, our other fringe players have been sold or released.

many of the above are untried as they are new however on paper this squad looks better than last seasons and so far we are unbeaten while playing a much better style of football, thanks to the ideas of our new head coach Christiansen.

I HATE these international breaks, cannot wait for our next match, we haven't fluked our unbeaten start either, we genuinely look unbeatable, really interested to see what our brand new players can bring to the pitch, I could see several players all hitting 10 goals or more which after selling 1 player who got half of the entire squads goals last season, its going to be different this time. if I have 1 doubt, its Cooper, However!!!, even he has started the season well, and if Christiansen can get him to play well, he can get any player to play well imo.

top 2 again imo is achievable this season, there are no teams with the strength of I hate to say it Newcastle from last season, Cardiff wont win every game, and as good a manager as McCarthy is, i don't think Ipswich will stay up there either, this really is our best chance for promotion, BRING IT ON!

MOT!!!

And of those, how many are from any part of the UK?

I know I'll get the usual "humorous" quips from the likes of Godlike, Tich, WS etc etc, but is it right that the 1st team is likely to contain not one player from the UK?

OldWhiteTaff
02-09-2017, 09:26 AM
Eh ? What about Ayling, Cooper, Phillips, Vieira, Roofe, Dallas ??? with Pennington, Shaughnessy, Stokes and Lonergan on the bench ?

leedsutdman
02-09-2017, 10:06 AM
Eh ? What about Ayling, Cooper, Phillips, Vieira, Roofe, Dallas ??? with Pennington, Shaughnessy, Stokes and Lonergan on the bench ?

Irish the lot of them,
Bloody foreigners....

espaņablanco73
02-09-2017, 10:06 AM
and your forgetting O´kane OWT, unless we count the Irish as dirty foreigners!;D

Lol, beat me to it Leedsutdman!

leedsutdman
02-09-2017, 10:30 AM
and your forgetting O´kane OWT, unless we count the Irish as dirty foreigners!;D

😂😂😂

WTF11
02-09-2017, 10:38 AM

They may not be dirty, but O'kane is Irish, Roofe is of Jamaican heritage and has eligibility to play for Jamaica, Vieira was born in Guinea, Shaugnessy, Stokes and Lonergan are all Irish, so 50% of those you presumably are suggesting come from the UK, don't!

So 5 of the 20+ squad are from the UK, and how many will get regular 1st team appearances (given that there are "benchwarmers" in that list)?

I said that it was likely that we would field a 1st team with not one player from the UK, and I stand by that.

OldWhiteTaff
02-09-2017, 10:46 AM
Seriously ??? ****in 'ell, I think it's' a shame the whole squad weren't born within 30 miles of Elland Road, but this is 2017, not 1917........

WTF11
02-09-2017, 11:01 AM
Seriously ??? ****in 'ell, I think it's' a shame the whole squad weren't born within 30 miles of Elland Road, but this is 2017, not 1917........

Yes, seriously. I don't expect them all to come from a stones throw of Elland Road, or Yorkshire, or even England, but to have 5 players in the squad who are from the UK, and for some of those to be starting from the bench, if named in the 1st team at all, just reminds me of the likes of Chelski, Arsenal, Sh1tty, Scum, etc who have gone down that route and whos fans we used to chastise as "plastic".

How are Leeds fans who turn out week in, week out, to cheer on Wiedwald, Alioski, Saiz, Lasogga, Grot etc etc any different?

Tichi1
02-09-2017, 02:49 PM
Just what is wrong with you?
Walk round Leeds city center [Oh sorry forgot you live 250 miles away] or Southampton city center, and tell me how many johnny foreigners you encounter at any time of day FFS - go down the leagues and you will find whole squads without a single johnny foreigner in them - basically because the better - cheaper - footballers come from all over the world - we live in a cosmopolitan society and our football teams reflect that - despite everything how many "English" players did we actually get rid of this close season? And how many of them where considered better than the ones that replaced them? with the possible exception of your favorite moan - Green I can't think of one - so basically we have got rid of a few foreigners, and replaced them with a lot of foreigners - and look a better team for it.

Get yourself down to Eastleigh and watch a load of Englishmen kicking a ball about ....apart from Bondz N'gara, Alefe Santos, Ayo Obileye ......I know I watched them a couple of weeks ago while in Chandlers Ford for a week.

pete1967b
02-09-2017, 03:01 PM
Yes, seriously. I don't expect them all to come from a stones throw of Elland Road, or Yorkshire, or even England, but to have 5 players in the squad who are from the UK, and for some of those to be starting from the bench, if named in the 1st team at all, just reminds me of the likes of Chelski, Arsenal, Sh1tty, Scum, etc who have gone down that route and whos fans we used to chastise as "plastic".

How are Leeds fans who turn out week in, week out, to cheer on Wiedwald, Alioski, Saiz, Lasogga, Grot etc etc any different?

My version of plastic is someone who doesnt go week in week out but constantly moans about everything under the sun to do with the club,

I turn up and pay my money ( Only live 40mins from the ground) but still spend a fortune,In an ideal world we all would like our squad to be local lads but as someone mentioned this is 2017 so who gives a feck who is in our squad/team, we will still have our favourites ( Mine is Siaz as i said before he kicked a ball he will be the find of the season) As long as they entertain me and try to play the right way and have passion for the cause then its fine by me.

WTF you are embarrasing yourself with this comment its clear you dont like what has been brought in so why bother supporting the team in this time,

Early days but exciting times feeling optimistic, Need a home win to really kickstart us with more confidence..

espaņablanco73
02-09-2017, 03:07 PM

:zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz:

CLIVETHELEEDSFAN
02-09-2017, 03:55 PM
I'd love for our team to be Carson Byram Taylor lees kilgallon Lennon rose milner delph poleon and Elliott, IF thy were all good enough, however 3 of them aren't, and the rest before them are pretty much retired, so let's get real here, half the squad are English Scottish welsh n.Irish r.Irish either by birth or who they're capped for, and the other half are foreign, seems pretty balanced to me, for us to have a squad of 20-30 players all English by birth would cost the club around 100million quid under the current market, a squad capable of promotion that is, wtf why not list your favoured 11 of English players in championship plus 7 English sub's, has to be a genuine formation, and then check their transfer price, then maybe you'll realise it ain't affordable!

pete1967b
02-09-2017, 04:30 PM

:zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz:

???.Not sure who this is meant for..

Tichi1
02-09-2017, 04:52 PM

Pretty sure it's nothing to do with you pete - maybe at a guess our resident doom monger?O:)O:)

pete1967b
02-09-2017, 05:04 PM
Pretty sure it's nothing to do with you pete - maybe at a guess our resident doom monger?O:)O:)

Did hope so haha.We all have a moan now and again but WTF is beyond a joke and doesnt come across as a true leeds fan which is sad,

Dont bother replying WTF to this i dont like reading books..

WTF11
02-09-2017, 05:46 PM
Did hope so haha.We all have a moan now and again but WTF is beyond a joke and doesnt come across as a true leeds fan which is sad,

Don't spoil it for me Pete (you can read books?)! After all, why wouldn't you want me to embarrass myself again?

"true Leeds fan". You know what that means? Ah, I know, someone who says they "turn up and pay my money ( Only live 40mins from the ground) but still spend a fortune" (ring any bells?), irrespective of what the club does. And obviously your definition of a "plastic fan" is absolutely spot on, yeah, as if!

As for the comment from Tich "Walk round Leeds city center [Oh sorry forgot you live 250 miles away] or Southampton city center, and tell me how many johnny foreigners you encounter at any time of day FFS" True, very true, and.......

"The 2011 census recorded 7,337,139 foreign-born residents in England, corresponding to 13.8 percent of the population". Now I know things have changed a bit in the six years since, but is anyone here suggesting that we now have 90% foreigners as representing current UK population? I think not.

Again, no-one answers the question, "5 of the 20+ squad are from the UK, and how many will get regular 1st team appearances (given that there are "benchwarmers" in that list)?

And even less...."How are Leeds fans who turn out week in, week out, to cheer on Wiedwald, Alioski, Saiz, Lasogga, Grot etc etc any different (from all the fans we used to rip the ar5e off, who support their chequebook created teams)?

I never said I wanted a squad or team made up of those from the UK, just a few more who represent the future of English/UK football, but apparently thats not "flavour of the month"

BTW, "embarrassing"? Nah, you can have your opinion, I have mine, end of.

espaņablanco73
02-09-2017, 05:49 PM

sorry Pete, as Tichi says, it wasnt aimed at you, just showing my exasperation at this thread going the same way as all others.........

WTF11
02-09-2017, 05:53 PM
Just what is wrong with you?
Walk round Leeds city center [Oh sorry forgot you live 250 miles away] or Southampton city center, and tell me how many johnny foreigners you encounter at any time of day FFS - go down the leagues and you will find whole squads without a single johnny foreigner in them - basically because the better - cheaper - footballers come from all over the world - we live in a cosmopolitan society and our football teams reflect that - despite everything how many "English" players did we actually get rid of this close season? And how many of them where considered better than the ones that replaced them? with the possible exception of your favorite moan - Green I can't think of one - so basically we have got rid of a few foreigners, and replaced them with a lot of foreigners - and look a better team for it.

Get yourself down to Eastleigh and watch a load of Englishmen kicking a ball about ....apart from Bondz N'gara, Alefe Santos, Ayo Obileye ......I know I watched them a couple of weeks ago while in Chandlers Ford for a week.

So 3 of......?

WTF11
02-09-2017, 05:53 PM
sorry Pete, as Tichi says, it wasnt aimed at you, just showing my exasperation at this thread going the same way as all others.........

One dissenting voice too much for you guys?:P

espaņablanco73
02-09-2017, 05:56 PM
more the relentless boredom than the dissention mate....

WTF11
02-09-2017, 05:56 PM

I was supporting Leeds before you were a little swimmer in your mums private parts, "trued Leeds fan" FFS!:mad:

pete1967b
02-09-2017, 05:58 PM
Don't spoil it for me Pete (you can read books?)! After all, why wouldn't you want me to embarrass myself again?

"true Leeds fan". You know what that means? Ah, I know, someone who says they "turn up and pay my money ( Only live 40mins from the ground) but still spend a fortune" (ring any bells?), irrespective of what the club does. And obviously your definition of a "plastic fan" is absolutely spot on, yeah, as if!

As for the comment from Tich "Walk round Leeds city center [Oh sorry forgot you live 250 miles away] or Southampton city center, and tell me how many johnny foreigners you encounter at any time of day FFS" True, very true, and.......

"The 2011 census recorded 7,337,139 foreign-born residents in England, corresponding to 13.8 percent of the population". Now I know things have changed a bit in the six years since, but is anyone here suggesting that we now have 90% foreigners as representing current UK population? I think not.

Again, no-one answers the question, "5 of the 20+ squad are from the UK, and how many will get regular 1st team appearances (given that there are "benchwarmers" in that list)?

And even less...."How are Leeds fans who turn out week in, week out, to cheer on Wiedwald, Alioski, Saiz, Lasogga, Grot etc etc any different (from all the fans we used to rip the ar5e off, who support their chequebook created teams)?

I never said I wanted a squad or team made up of those from the UK, just a few more who represent the future of English/UK football, but apparently thats not "flavour of the month"

BTW, "embarrassing"? Nah, you can have your opinion, I have mine, end of.

I wont beat around the bush, I dont post much these days and have had my arguments/debates in the past, YOU my friend are one of the main reasons why i dont.

As Benidorm has just said this is going the same way as all the other threads you hijack, Yes we are all allowed our opinions but you take the biscuit.

Every time i do have a look on here its YOU that seem to spoil a thread with your ****e,

I wont get into a slanging match with you,Just by all means same as the rest of us have a moan about a certain performance or team selection like we all do but support Leeds thrugh thick or thin or **** off.

WTF11
02-09-2017, 05:59 PM
more the relentless boredom than the dissention mate....

Strange how this forum resembled a f00king morgue when I didn't post the other week, hmmm? Hey ho, I have my opinions, other have theirs, kind of what a forum is for eh, expressing opinions.

WTF11
02-09-2017, 06:01 PM
I wont beat around the bush, I dont post much these days and have had my arguments/debates in the past, YOU my friend are one of the main reasons why i dont.

As Benidorm has just said this is going the same way as all the other threads you hijack, Yes we are all allowed our opinions but you take the biscuit.

Every time i do have a look on here its YOU that seem to spoil a thread with your ****e,

I wont get into a slanging match with you,Just by all means same as the rest of us have a moan about a certain performance or team selection like we all do but support Leeds thrugh thick or thin or **** off.

So we all agree with each other, is that your suggestion?

joellufcprice
02-09-2017, 06:17 PM
They may not be dirty, but O'kane is Irish, Roofe is of Jamaican heritage and has eligibility to play for Jamaica, Vieira was born in Guinea, Shaugnessy, Stokes and Lonergan are all Irish, so 50% of those you presumably are suggesting come from the UK, don't!

So 5 of the 20+ squad are from the UK, and how many will get regular 1st team appearances (given that there are "benchwarmers" in that list)?

I said that it was likely that we would field a 1st team with not one player from the UK, and I stand by that.

Roofe was born in Walsall.......how does him having Jamaican heritage in anyway stop him from being from the UK? Ronaldo Vieiria, yes born in Guinea, but represents England U20.....surely that is the epitome of a having a british player in our squad. As for the Irish lads, I consider them part of us, Leeds has always had a massive irish contingent and I consider that as much homegrown as I do our English born lads.

The reality is, unless you produce your own talent, which we have got incredibly lucky with in the past few years, the cost of buying british players is just not worth it anymore. In an ideal world, I'd love us to have a squad of British players and academy products, but it just won't happen. In fact we have had largely British based squads when we had Tonge, Brown, Pearce, Warnock, Morrison, Lees, Byram, Peltier, Mowatt etc and personally I'd rather us have some talented foreign lads in for a fraction of the price than those over paid tossers, fact is British based squads have failed us largely over the years and now with the way the market is buying even an average english player is extortionately expensive.

It is very easy to complain that we don't have enough UK based players, but financially it is just not feasible. As long as they play with pride and play for the shirt, they could come from outer space for all I'm bothered, football has moved on from the days of Revie and we either adapt with that or we spend our years plodding around the lower leagues with our UK based 11.

espaņablanco73
02-09-2017, 06:31 PM
Strange how this forum resembled a f00king morgue when I didn't post the other week, hmmm? Hey ho, I have my opinions, other have theirs, kind of what a forum is for eh, expressing opinions.

"kind of what a forum is for eh, expressing opinions"

or....expressing the same opinion again and again and again and again and again and again.

ozleeds
02-09-2017, 07:54 PM
This reminds me of the game we play with my friend when we head over the big city Melbourne every now and then. It's called spot the Aussie as you can hardly find one lol. It's the times and the world is f----. My parents watch tv back from the home land Greece and i'm stunned as i see asians and afrikan people on there speaking Greek better than me.
Anyway WTF it's the times and we can't do anything about it so we have to get used to it.

WTF11
02-09-2017, 09:46 PM
"kind of what a forum is for eh, expressing opinions"

or....expressing the same opinion again and again and again and again and again and again.

And having the same opinion despite everyone else disagreeing is........errrr. being of an independent mind?

So WS, Tich, BB, JimmyBN are so different? Expressing the same sycophantic tripe every post, indistinguishable from each other and all cringingly grateful for our owner buying his way into Championship play-off territory.

I genuinely would love to see Leeds back where we belong, but the price we are paying, becoming not much more than a cut-price Scum, makes me wonder if we have sold our soul for a few pieces of silver.

I go to watch Eastleigh when I can, strange that the feeling is more like ER some years ago than when i was last at ER (Norwich last season, for what it's worth). Old fart, wishing for times gone by and football played by guys who had some fleeting degree of affinity (even loyalty) for the club they played for. No more.

WTF11
02-09-2017, 09:47 PM
This reminds me of the game we play with my friend when we head over the big city Melbourne every now and then. It's called spot the Aussie as you can hardly find one lol. It's the times and the world is f----. My parents watch tv back from the home land Greece and i'm stunned as i see asians and afrikan people on there speaking Greek better than me.
Anyway WTF it's the times and we can't do anything about it so we have to get used to it.

No we don't

Jezleeds
03-09-2017, 08:32 AM

I can't make out whether you're aware of the irony in what you say or not here!!

Jezleeds
03-09-2017, 08:49 AM
No we don't

WTF when i was a ****ager my dad used to make negative comments about black and Asian people on TV all the time (i'm not suggesting you do this, although you do give that impression in some of the posts you posted recently, notably about making muslims in this country wear identifying badges before deporting them - here i'm talking about my dad though) - he said he didn't like them because they weren't 'from here'. So i asked him if he liked foreigners at all - he was definite that he didn't (he's been abroad once). I asked the same thing about southerners and he said 'can't stand them'. Later I asked him about midlanders and he said 'no - don't like them either'. What about people from South Yorkshire? No, again - common, apparently. South Leeds? He wasn't sure. What about people from the bottom of our street? Around then he started to get my point.

He's quite keen on his Polish carer now, in his 80s, which is more than a bit ironic. But needs must, eh.

The conversation in the 1980s made me realise that logic isn't always strongest when it comes to what people with strong opinions think about where people belong or fit in or their value.

I'm guessing there will be people living in Eastleigh or Portsmouth (where you live right?), who think that they should get the Yorkshire out of there as it doesn't belong. Northern scum - what right do you have living in their space? Here i'm assuming you're from Yorkshire originally.

Because if you're not, there would be absolutely no logic whatsoever in you supporting Leeds right?

WTF11
03-09-2017, 10:11 AM
WTF when i was a ****ager my dad used to make negative comments about black and Asian people on TV all the time (i'm not suggesting you do this, although you do give that impression in some of the posts you posted recently, notably about making muslims in this country wear identifying badges before deporting them - here i'm talking about my dad though) - he said he didn't like them because they weren't 'from here'. So i asked him if he liked foreigners at all - he was definite that he didn't (he's been abroad once). I asked the same thing about southerners and he said 'can't stand them'. Later I asked him about midlanders and he said 'no - don't like them either'. What about people from South Yorkshire? No, again - common, apparently. South Leeds? He wasn't sure. What about people from the bottom of our street? Around then he started to get my point.

He's quite keen on his Polish carer now, in his 80s, which is more than a bit ironic. But needs must, eh.

The conversation in the 1980s made me realise that logic isn't always strongest when it comes to what people with strong opinions think about where people belong or fit in or their value.

I'm guessing there will be people living in Eastleigh or Portsmouth (where you live right?), who think that they should get the Yorkshire out of there as it doesn't belong. Northern scum - what right do you have living in their space? Here i'm assuming you're from Yorkshire originally.

Because if you're not, there would be absolutely no logic whatsoever in you supporting Leeds right?

Just to be clear, I don't care what colour, creed, nationality, ***uality or gender (if ladies were ever allowed to play in the same side men), those who pull on the Leeds shirt are, never have, never will.

As to background, lived until early ****s in Pudsey, then Wakefield, then 10 years in Europe (Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria), then back to the UK (south), ended up in Hampshire about 15 years ago. Have great friends (yes, really!) in all the countries and parts of the UK I've lived in, doesn't stop me have a view on who plays for Leeds, in particular how the make up of the team reflects the place the club is.

LeedsFTW
03-09-2017, 11:06 AM
If the intention of the debate is to have a team of players that have been brought through the football program in the UK & Ireland to represent Leeds, then yes I agree it is a shame that the general make up of the team does not represent this dynamic.

I would prefer the team to be made up of Academy Grads, UK/Ireland internationals with a few continental players, the types of players that produce those moments of magic we all like to see.

However IMO the FA have done absolutely nothing to prevent the richest Clubs, especially in the UK, poaching and stock piling all the talented youngsters in to their academies to the extent it starts to hinder their development and they rarely reach their true potential. I actually think it is detrimental to their development, talented youngster getting signed up and then being let go several years later to teams lower down the leagues when they get "too old" because they missed out on playing competitive matches, didn't gain from those experiences and quality opposition. The other side is that the stock piling of talent leaves a smaller pool of talent for the poorer clubs to be sieving through.

I would like to think Leeds signs players based on talent & potential, firstly and foremost. Yet how do you stop the big Rich clubs poaching any talented youngsters from your Academies?

Not sure what the answer is, maybe putting a cap on the number of players a club can have on the books in the various age categories, could possibly prevent the richest clubs mopping up and wasting all the talented youngsters?

Just think the FA could be doing a much better job in this regard.

espaņablanco73
03-09-2017, 11:32 AM
thought it was great under the 3 foreigner rules back in the day, clubs had to put much more thought into which stars to bring in.
Unfortunately as much as WTF might wish it was diferent, those are not the rules we play under, so, best forget it and move on.....

WTF11
03-09-2017, 11:36 AM
If the intention of the debate is to have a team of players that have been brought through the football program in the UK & Ireland to represent Leeds, then yes I agree it is a shame that the general make up of the team does not represent this dynamic.

I would prefer the team to be made up of Academy Grads, UK/Ireland internationals with a few continental players, the types of players that produce those moments of magic we all like to see.

However IMO the FA have done absolutely nothing to prevent the richest Clubs, especially in the UK, poaching and stock piling all the talented youngsters in to their academies to the extent it starts to hinder their development and they rarely reach their true potential. I actually think it is detrimental to their development, talented youngster getting signed up and then being let go several years later to teams lower down the leagues when they get "too old" because they missed out on playing competitive matches, didn't gain from those experiences and quality opposition. The other side is that the stock piling of talent leaves a smaller pool of talent for the poorer clubs to be sieving through.

I would like to think Leeds signs players based on talent & potential, firstly and foremost. Yet how do you stop the big Rich clubs poaching any talented youngsters from your Academies?

Not sure what the answer is, maybe putting a cap on the number of players a club can have on the books in the various age categories, could possibly prevent the richest clubs mopping up and wasting all the talented youngsters?

Just think the FA could be doing a much better job in this regard.

That was indeed the intention, (debating what football in general and Leeds in particular, are doing wrt the development of home grown talent), thank you.

WTF11
03-09-2017, 11:43 AM
thought it was great under the 3 foreigner rules back in the day, clubs had to put much more thought into which stars to bring in.
Unfortunately as much as WTF might wish it was diferent, those are not the rules we play under, so, best forget it and move on.....

Which was the point of my query regarding how we as fans are different to the likes if those who go to Stamford, or the Etihad etc. We've always thought of ourselves as different (better), yes? Now, where they have led, we are now following, doesn't sit right, does it?

joellufcprice
03-09-2017, 01:17 PM
Just to be clear, I don't care what colour, creed, nationality, ***uality or gender (if ladies were ever allowed to play in the same side men), those who pull on the Leeds shirt are, never have, never will.

As to background, lived until early ****s in Pudsey, then Wakefield, then 10 years in Europe (Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria), then back to the UK (south), ended up in Hampshire about 15 years ago. Have great friends (yes, really!) in all the countries and parts of the UK I've lived in, doesn't stop me have a view on who plays for Leeds, in particular how the make up of the team reflects the place the club is.

So why do you keep brining it up if you're no bothered? Why did you bring up that Roofe despite being born in Walsall has Jamaican heritage? Why do you tell us that Vieiria, who plays for England U20 was born in Guiniea? You've spent weeks telling us how much you want a british born eleven and don't want foreign signings, at least own your bias. Even the end of your comment here just highlights your attitude, Leeds is a multi cultural city, so it does reflect it even if you think Leeds is some all white british bermuda triangle where no foreign bloke has ever stepped.

Jezleeds
03-09-2017, 01:21 PM
No we don't

Is this a comment about who plays for Leeds or who we have walking down streets? Bit confused WTF - this was your comment that i was referring to in mine - it seemed to move away from the discussion about who plays for Leeds - correct me if i'm wrong.

joellufcprice
03-09-2017, 01:25 PM
Which was the point of my query regarding how we as fans are different to the likes if those who go to Stamford, or the Etihad etc. We've always thought of ourselves as different (better), yes? Now, where they have led, we are now following, doesn't sit right, does it?

If you actually go to ER you'd realise why our fans are different compared to the ones elsewhere. Would I rather cheer on Pontus Jansson, a foreigner who bleeds passion and love or Alex Bruce? Their heritage does not matter, it is the way the conduct themselves on the pitch.

WTF11
03-09-2017, 04:55 PM
If you actually go to ER you'd realise why our fans are different compared to the ones elsewhere. Would I rather cheer on Pontus Jansson, a foreigner who bleeds passion and love or Alex Bruce? Their heritage does not matter, it is the way the conduct themselves on the pitch.

I go when I can Joel, and spend as much as most ST holders in a season even though I only get to a dozen or so home games, not sure why you think (?) otherwise.

In one of your other posts you question why I refer to the ethnicity/origin of some of our 1st team squad. Simple answer, just pointing out that we have very few who represent the majority of the population, recognising that we do indeed live in a multi-cultural society.

Passion is always to be welcomed in a player who puts on the white shirt, and as for conduct on the pitch, not disagreeing with you on that score either. Disagree on the heritage point, where we come from has to affect who we are and where we're going, no matter what walk of life.

Anyway, what will be will be.

WTF11
03-09-2017, 04:56 PM
Is this a comment about who plays for Leeds or who we have walking down streets? Bit confused WTF - this was your comment that i was referring to in mine - it seemed to move away from the discussion about who plays for Leeds - correct me if i'm wrong.

No, it was a response to Bbs post saying we "just have to get used to it. "It", being the number of foreign players in the 1st team squad.

Jezleeds
03-09-2017, 05:05 PM
Quote - "Disagree on the heritage point, where we come from has to affect who we are and where we're going, no matter what walk of life."

Which heritage positively or negatively affects people and in which way, in your opinion WTF?

WTF11
04-09-2017, 07:58 AM
Quote - "Disagree on the heritage point, where we come from has to affect who we are and where we're going, no matter what walk of life."

Which heritage positively or negatively affects people and in which way, in your opinion WTF?

Heritage is heritage don't you think Jez? Decomposing (or trying to) isn't really possible, bit like trying to extract a particular part of your brain whilst leaving the rest unaffected, unlikely to be very successful! Same when you consider football, not possible to extract bits of what the club does and analyse separately to establish what has been good or bad (apart from anything else, "good or bad" is a matter of opinion, as we have seen in this thread). Obviously we won't know what heritage is left by the current owner, it's always a case of looking back at what happened, and we're not there yet.

Sorry if I'm not answering your question directly, I just don't think I (or anyone else) can (at least not without literally writing a book!)

Tichi1
04-09-2017, 08:49 AM
Heritage is heritage don't you think Jez? Decomposing (or trying to) isn't really possible, bit like trying to extract a particular part of your brain whilst leaving the rest unaffected, unlikely to be very successful! Same when you consider football, not possible to extract bits of what the club does and analyse separately to establish what has been good or bad (apart from anything else, "good or bad" is a matter of opinion, as we have seen in this thread). Obviously we won't know what heritage is left by the current owner, it's always a case of looking back at what happened, and we're not there yet.

Sorry if I'm not answering your question directly, I just don't think I (or anyone else) can (at least not without literally writing a book!)

So ..."bit like trying to extract a particular part of your brain whilst leaving the rest unaffected, unlikely to be very successful! " Have to Disagree....
The bit of YOUR brain that tells you when to "leave it" or to "Not always have the last word" has either been removed successfully or wasn't there in the first place.

Similarly - "It's not possible to extract bits of what the club does and analyse separately to establish what has been good or bad" - This is what YOU do about EVERYTHING the club does.....apart from the "Good" bit that is.

As you are fond of telling others - you need to read some of your own posts before posting something so contradictory.

no doubt i've missed the point again or something similar will be winging it's way back within the hour!

WTF11
04-09-2017, 09:17 AM
So ..."bit like trying to extract a particular part of your brain whilst leaving the rest unaffected, unlikely to be very successful! " Have to Disagree....
The bit of YOUR brain that tells you when to "leave it" or to "Not always have the last word" has either been removed successfully or wasn't there in the first place.

Similarly - "It's not possible to extract bits of what the club does and analyse separately to establish what has been good or bad" - This is what YOU do about EVERYTHING the club does.....apart from the "Good" bit that is.

As you are fond of telling others - you need to read some of your own posts before posting something so contradictory.

no doubt i've missed the point again or something similar will be winging it's way back within the hour!

Selective quoting, not missing the point, just misconstruing it.

george_kaplan
04-09-2017, 10:22 AM
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked. "Oh you can't help that," said the cat, "we're all mad here. I'm mad, your mad."
"How do you know I'm mad" said Alice.
"You must be" said the cat "or you wouldn't have come here."

espaņablanco73
04-09-2017, 10:31 AM
quality George!:star:

OldWhiteTaff
04-09-2017, 10:44 AM
F00k me this is getting a bit abstract intellectual........ From my perspective it's quite simple, if you want to be successful in this day and age in the conventional sense (i.e. winning things, or at least competing in the higher levels of any of the top European leagues) then it's almost impossible to do it without drawing from the widest possible player pool. As has been pointed out, for any club to be successful with a squad 90% made up of national players would be extremely expensive, but I would add that given the relative quality of UK players I would say it would be almost impossible in the PL even if pockets were deep enough - for example, if England played in the PL would they be a top four team ? I'm not sure they would. So if you want football success as usually defined then you're going to have to accept a cosmopolitan squad. And if not then maybe you need to redefine what you want from the team you support, or look elsewhere, for example I'd imagine the vast majority of Guiseley FC are local lads ???