16 Brisley
23 Jones
11 Hawkridge
22 Yates
4 Hewitt
10 Grant
30 Stead
9 Ameobi

The team is named and no great surprises... the last 2 times I started a match thread we have won so lets keep it going :)

the_anticlough
02-09-2017, 01:34 PM
1 Collin
19 Hunt
5 Duffy
16 Brisley
23 Jones
11 Hawkridge
22 Yates
4 Hewitt
10 Grant
30 Stead
9 Ameobi

The team is named and no great surprises... the last 2 times I started a match thread we have won so lets keep it going :)

Let's hope so.
Could be a tight game, single goal could win it?

St Kitts Magpie
02-09-2017, 02:03 PM
Let's hope so.

hope so. clean sheet would help...COYP

irish_pie
02-09-2017, 02:07 PM
Let's hope so.

I'm seeing a tight game today, we are in decent form and Vale bang out of form so lets hope we sneak it

irish_pie
02-09-2017, 02:12 PM
Is there anywhere i can hear the commentary? I tried radio Nottingham but all i am getting is bloody cricket!!!! :(

the_anticlough
02-09-2017, 02:19 PM
We've had most of the possession so far - good sign. Take their crowd out of it.

jackal2
02-09-2017, 02:20 PM
Kevin Nolan is certainly very consistent with his team selection. He seems pretty confident about what his best team is and does not fiddle with his formation to match the opposition. It shows a degree of confidence.

the_anticlough
02-09-2017, 02:25 PM
Kevin Nolan is certainly very consistent with his team selection. He seems pretty confident about what his best team is and does not fiddle with his formation to match the opposition. It shows a degree of confidence.

Do you think Stead can repay the manager's confidence in him with a higher level of performance?

BanjoPie
02-09-2017, 02:38 PM
Is there anywhere i can hear the commentary? I tried radio Nottingham but all i am getting is bloody cricket!!!! :(

Its on DAB although you might get more excitement listening to the cricket. Seems we are just knocking long balls up to Ameobi & Stead to no effect

keldsyke
02-09-2017, 02:38 PM
Do you think Stead can repay the manager's confidence in him with a higher level of performance?

Let me rephrase that....

Do you think some supporters can repay the manager's confidence in them with a lesser degree of bitching and stop trying to find fault all the time?

SolSigns
02-09-2017, 02:44 PM
Let me rephrase that....

Do you think some supporters can repay the manager's confidence in them with a lesser degree of bitching and stop trying to find fault all the time?

Some can, not many on here though.

The ambition to be better than we are is understandable, just not the strategy of whinging and knicker wetting.

the_anticlough
02-09-2017, 02:46 PM
Let me rephrase that....

Get back in your crib and stick that dummy back in

BanjoPie
02-09-2017, 02:51 PM
Let me rephrase that....

Most supporters expected more football instead of the long ball game Nolan seems to favour. This is just not Notts style and, its not working either. Notts supporters just want to see us playing a bit of football surely we have the players to at least put a few passes together, don't we?

the_anticlough
I'm seeing a tight game today, we are in decent form and Vale bang out of form so lets hope we sneak it

HT 0-0, working out the way we thought.

irish_pie
Half time and so far so good... 1 goal could nick this alright

uysapie
02-09-2017, 02:53 PM
We've had most of the possession so far - good sign. Take their crowd out of it.

BBC stats show neither team has had a shot on target at half time!

BanjoPie
02-09-2017, 02:55 PM
Half time and so far so good... 1 goal could nick this alright

Thats what worries me:s

tarquinbeech
02-09-2017, 02:56 PM
The good news....I can read the numbers on the away shirts....hooray.

The bad news.....the long ball isn't working, Shola has 2 men climbing all over him....we've had one half-chance all first half....poor viewing

the_anticlough
02-09-2017, 02:57 PM
Match odds now

draw 11/8
Notts 15/8
Vale 9/4

Seems about right. They're out of sorts and there for the taking

BanjoPie
02-09-2017, 02:57 PM
Crickets sounds more exciting

irish_pie
02-09-2017, 02:59 PM

The bad news.....the long ball isn't working, Shola has 2 men climbing all over him....we've had one half-chance all first half....poor viewing

Do you think KN is employing the old Bolton approach to management? Jesus they were awful to watch, long ball after long ball totally bypassing midfield

the_anticlough
02-09-2017, 03:00 PM
BBC stats show neither team has had a shot on target at half time!

That'll also help take their crowd out of it! A grim afternoon in the potteries (maybe there's no other kind)

tarquinbeech
02-09-2017, 03:02 PM
Match odds now

draw 11/8
Notts 15/8
Vale 9/4

Seems about right. They're out of sorts and there for the taking

They had a cracking shot that hit the base of the post....Vale don't look too bad TBH

LaxtonLad
02-09-2017, 03:11 PM

You must be tuned to 103.3, Notts footy is on 95.5.

upthemaggies
02-09-2017, 03:17 PM
Dan Jones the hero at the moment.

Oldstripy
02-09-2017, 03:18 PM
724 Notts fans at game.

the_anticlough
02-09-2017, 03:19 PM
Dan Jones the hero at the moment.

With Hunt off and Milsom on who's playing RB?

BanjoPie
02-09-2017, 03:20 PM
You must be tuned to 103.3, Notts footy is on 95.5.

Also on DAB (as usual)

Oldstripy
02-09-2017, 03:22 PM
Ameobi off Forte on.

Oldstripy
02-09-2017, 03:23 PM
With Hunt off and Milsom on who's playing RB?

At a guess Hewitt.

BanjoPie
02-09-2017, 03:25 PM
Doesn't sound like we are playing well, Port Vale are a poor team, we should be battering them - wonder what the problem is?

BanjoPie
02-09-2017, 03:26 PM
All these 'WoW players' having an off day!

BanjoPie
02-09-2017, 03:27 PM
Blimey :O

LaxtonLad
02-09-2017, 03:27 PM

Even the Radio Nottm are crying out for a bit of class to be introduced, they are repeating what we on here have been saying for months - the big lob forward is hopeless - we can see it, they can see it, KN can't.

Nolan thinks we now have the best strike partnership we've had for years. Perhaps he's right but they are surely not being used to their best while they have to chase every ball lobbed forward, oh for a through pass along the ground.

BanjoPie
02-09-2017, 03:29 PM
Hello !!! - "we have scored a goal you know"

Freeman25
02-09-2017, 03:29 PM
Where do you find the commentary on iFollow these days?

upthemaggies
02-09-2017, 03:31 PM
Up to 4th, as it stands.

Sheridan's Oldham losing AGAIN.

JoePass
02-09-2017, 03:31 PM
hello !!! - "we have scored a goal you know"

get innnnnnnnn

Oldstripy
02-09-2017, 03:32 PM
All these 'WoW players' having an off day!

Heres a WOW Alessandra scores with first touch.

ancientpie
02-09-2017, 03:35 PM
I must admit I'm even bored listening to this but if we can hang on for 3 points what the hell, job done.

upthemaggies
02-09-2017, 03:35 PM
Swindon 0 Barnet 4.
Swindon come to Meadow Lane a week on Tuesday.

the_anticlough
02-09-2017, 03:38 PM
Allesandra's goals per minutes played will be looking good. Very promising - goals from midfield can get you promoted

BanjoPie
02-09-2017, 03:41 PM
I must admit I'm even bored listening to this but if we can hang on for 3 points what the hell, job done.

I think the commentary is boring because you can't hear the crowd much and so seems little atmosphere

BanjoPie
02-09-2017, 03:42 PM
Allesandra's goals per minutes played will be looking good. Very promising - goals from midfield can get you promoted

Pity no goals from the strikers

BanjoPie
02-09-2017, 03:45 PM
Not looking looking for Brisley - just hope he is ok regardless of the result

the_anticlough
02-09-2017, 03:46 PM
Forte, Grant and Allesandra are good players to have on for a second, breakaway goal - that could put us in 2nd

keldsyke
02-09-2017, 03:47 PM
Pity no goals from the strikers

You really are as thick as pig ****, I've come to the conclusion that some on here genuinely want to see Notts fail and fold. The club has been crying out for a period of stability and some are still not happy, I wouldn't blame AH or KN if they walked away from the club.

BanjoPie
02-09-2017, 03:47 PM
Forte, Grant and Allesandra are good players to have on for a second, breakaway goal - that could put us in 2nd

How could a 2nd goal put us in 2nd place?

the_anticlough
02-09-2017, 03:48 PM
After Accrington - it really is ***** we see this out

the_anticlough
02-09-2017, 03:49 PM
How could a 2nd goal put us in 2nd place?

Goal diff - 3 team on 10pts. 3rd at least. Anyway, let's settle for seeing this out

BanjoPie
02-09-2017, 03:50 PM
You really are as thick as pig ****, I've come to the conclusion that some on here genuinely want to see Notts fail and fold. The club has been crying out for a period of stability and some are still not happy, I wouldn't blame AH or KN if they walked away from the club.

What is the problem, all I said was that it is a pity that the strikers are not scoring (which are one not) - I want Notts to succeed so cannot understand your comment.

ancientpie
02-09-2017, 03:56 PM
Hang on in there!!!

BanjoPie
02-09-2017, 03:57 PM
Seem to be doing ok even though down to 10 men

upthemaggies
02-09-2017, 03:58 PM
Blow the whistle ref!!!!!!

upthemaggies
02-09-2017, 03:59 PM
YEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!

3 more points.

BanjoPie
02-09-2017, 03:59 PM

So Keldsyke, What have I said to offend you?

Oldstripy
02-09-2017, 04:00 PM
HT 0 - 1 well done Notts not pretty but 3 points in the bag. :)

the_anticlough
02-09-2017, 04:00 PM
TFFT - great 3pts.

upthemaggies
02-09-2017, 04:01 PM
7 pts clear of the drop already and Mansfield can't overtake us whatever happens next weekend. Nicely embedded in the top half now.

SolSigns
02-09-2017, 04:01 PM
Lance-Corporal Jones's 0 Captain Mainwarings 1

XD

tarquinbeech
02-09-2017, 04:07 PM
Do you think KN is employing the old Bolton approach to management? Jesus they were awful to watch, long ball after long ball totally bypassing midfield

I do...but it's working so what do I know....it's not pretty, but it's effective

tarquinbeech
02-09-2017, 04:09 PM
Where do you find the commentary on iFollow these days?

Match Day button under "fixtures"

ancientpie
02-09-2017, 04:16 PM
Like most I would love to see us playing free flowing,entertaining football, but like most until we feel capable of winning that way I will take a "scrappy" win all day long. I tend to look at fixtures in groups & I was thinking that 6 points from the 1st 3 September games would keep us up there, with 2 home games to come I would now hope for 7 points & even the full 9 is possible.

tarquinbeech
02-09-2017, 04:17 PM
Another 3 points in the bag....not pretty but effective.

Vale fans not happy with their Manager's subs, a few shouts of "you don't know what you're doing"....and Aless went on to score within 30 seconds

Very few chances for either side....the Hunt sub was because of injury (I think)....the Shola sub was because he was being double-marked and zero knock-downs from the long-ball IMO....Hawk was busy but ineffective, and Aless coming on was inspired....all-in-all a good day "at the office"

upthemaggies
02-09-2017, 04:21 PM
Crikey, just looked at the news, "Man held over Oval crossbow arrow which ended cricket match", it was fired onto the pitch!!!
"Armed police carried out a controlled evacuation of the ground."

CmonUSexyStylishPies
02-09-2017, 04:22 PM

Hmm, walk away from the club based on some NCM posts. You're taking drama queenery to new levels.

Excellent result today, Nolan certainly knows how to get the best out of these players.

tarquinbeech
02-09-2017, 04:23 PM
Like most I would love to see us playing free flowing,entertaining football, but like most until we feel capable of winning that way I will take a "scrappy" win all day long. I tend to look at fixtures in groups & I was thinking that 6 points from the 1st 3 September games would keep us up there, with 2 home games to come I would now hope for 7 points & even the full 9 is possible.

Completely agree....as I said, it wasn't pretty viewing BUT it's another 3 points in the bag.....and after the last few seasons, it's nice to see us up and around the play-offs.

We'll get plenty of time to play some entertaining football later in the season

keldsyke
02-09-2017, 04:28 PM
Hmm, walk away from the club based on some NCM posts. You're taking drama queenery to new levels.

Excellent result today, Nolan certainly knows how to get the best out of these players.

Just a comment not a statement, I just think supporters on here and twitter should get off their backs for the constant criticism about lack of 'Wow' signings, team selection etc, I dread to think where we would be if the previous regime was still here,at the end of the day the table tells the story and I'm really not fussed how we get out of this league, but at the moment we are in a fairly healthy position.

upthemaggies
02-09-2017, 04:29 PM
You don't necessarily have to play an entertaining style to be entertaining. If you're winning regularly, confidence goes up, then the players - what ever they've been instructed to do - begin to play with a swagger and they're not afraid to try things, take people on, get forward more. Direct football can be awesome to watch if you're battering the opponents into submission.

countygump
02-09-2017, 04:34 PM
You Piessssssssssssssssssssssssss.

https://twitter.com/shinjay_/status/904014354227621890

20 more wins needed for a play off place and 13 for safety...................

Bohinen
02-09-2017, 04:40 PM

I suppose we did much the same in the Big Sam Championship season with Jones and Farrell. No-one cares much if it works but I don't think we have the forwards to do it right now. Still, there are no negatives to be taken from an away win at Port Vale, vile club that they are. Take That, Robbie Williams (see what I did there?).

tarquinbeech
02-09-2017, 04:40 PM
You Piessssssssssssssssssssssssss.

https://twitter.com/shinjay_/status/904014354227621890

20 more wins needed for a play off place and 13 for safety...................

It was quite strange watching it first time......there were 2 subs, one for Vale (which the crowd were booing) and Aless for Notts who sprinted straight up into the box.

Vale seemed to take an age to realise it was a Notts throw-in, never closed us down....and a simple low cross into the 6 yard box saw Aless smash it home.....weird

countygump
02-09-2017, 04:42 PM
I suppose we did much the same in the Big Sam Championship season with Jones and Farrell. No-one cares much if it works but I don't think we have the forwards to do it right now. Still, there are no negatives to be taken from an away win at Port Vale, vile club that they are. Take That, Robbie Williams (see what I did there?).

Yeah, clever, though I never knew Robbie Williams was in a boy band named Vile Club.

Proudpie
02-09-2017, 07:14 PM
Just got back home
That was a very poor game of football with neither team seemingly capable of passing the ball on the floor.
But its an ugly win and one we would not have got before KN came in.
It will be interesting to see how those tactics work against the better footballing teams with more quality than Chesterfield and Vale
3 points is all that matters.

Old_pie
02-09-2017, 07:21 PM

Some short memories on here. Curle was hounded out. And at the beginning of 2014/2015 season after 14 games Derry's side were sitting 4th.

Whether or not there is "free flowing" to come is debatable but developing a "convincing" style would be a comfort. We're short of that at the moment.

Proudpie
02-09-2017, 07:36 PM
Totally agree
I have seen all the games bar Accrington and we have looked far from convincing playing a lot of hit and hope second ball football.
I would sooner be in the top 7 however than in the lower regions playing tappy tappy football
Apart from Grant and maybe Allesandra we dont have any technically good footballers in my humble opinion.

BigFatPie
02-09-2017, 08:40 PM
Good win an all, though as somebody elsewhere has said, I hope we're not bluffing it as with Derry's side a couple of years ago...

I watched Lincoln v Luton today and FWIW think we're currently light years behind either of those two teams.

crazyfists
02-09-2017, 08:43 PM
Good three points and it's nice to finally have a Notts team that can grind out results, question is can they go to the next level.

lunaspie
02-09-2017, 09:05 PM
Lance-Corporal Jones's 0 Captain Mainwarings 1

XD

Sssssh ! They don't like it up 'em !

BanjoPie
02-09-2017, 09:36 PM
The difference between a good team and a poor is that good teams 'use the ball' and the poor teams 'chase the ball' - sadly we do too much chasing at the moment. Just my opinion (thats if I am allowed to have one)

The-Mac pie
02-09-2017, 09:48 PM
Just a comment not a statement, I just think supporters on here and twitter should get off their backs for the constant criticism about lack of 'Wow' signings, team selection etc, I dread to think where we would be if the previous regime was still here,at the end of the day the table tells the story and I'm really not fussed how we get out of this league, but at the moment we are in a fairly healthy position.

Another Nice result with our pension schemed front line.
Nolan must be worried with this run of good results.
We must think about sacking him if we keep winning.
Fullerton !
Sheridan!
Where are you.
Also please can we have our previous chairman back at the same time.
These clowns ain't got a clue.
So times have changed for the better.
About time some people got off nolan and Hardys backs.
Where would we be now eh!!!
Went today.
Sheite from both sides.
"BUT"
Vale 0 - Notts 1
3 points
Thankyou very much

keldsyke
02-09-2017, 10:26 PM
The difference between a good team and a poor is that good teams 'use the ball' and the poor teams 'chase the ball' - sadly we do too much chasing at the moment. Just my opinion (thats if I am allowed to have one)

Fortunately your and my opinion doesn't matter, it's Nolan's that does and the table doesn't lie regardless of which team is chasing the ball. Go on have a look at the table and enjoy it instead of trying to destroy it. 😉

queenslandpie
02-09-2017, 10:39 PM
Fortunately your and my opinion doesn't matter, it's Nolan's that does and the table doesn't lie regardless of which team is chasing the ball. Go on have a look at the table and enjoy it instead of trying to destroy it. 😉

It lied when Derry was in charge.

The only truth is end of season positions and nobody has a crystal ball so performances are the best judge. By all accounts performances are OK but we may struggle against the better sides.

Here's hoping we are still in Top 7 at the end of the season. An encouraging points tally so far!

uysapie
02-09-2017, 10:42 PM

Playing poorly and winning only gets us so far. We have yet to play the better teams in this league. I'll enjoy the table, as you put it, but am wary of the next run of games.

Long ball to the front two geriatrics will only get us so far, the second goal against Accy shows what can be done bu fluid passing and quick movement. I would love to see more of that!

Steward
02-09-2017, 10:57 PM

[QUOTE=uysapie;38642598]Playing poorly and winning only gets us so far. We have yet to play the better teams in this league. I'll enjoy the table, as you put it, but am wary of the next run of games.

Long ball to the front two geriatrics will only get us so far, the second goal against Accy shows what can be done bu fluid passing and quick movement. I would love

CmonUSexyStylishPies
02-09-2017, 11:12 PM
It lied when Derry was in charge.

The only truth is end of season positions and nobody has a crystal ball so performances are the best judge. By all accounts performances are OK but we may struggle against the better sides.

Here's hoping we are still in Top 7 at the end of the season. An encouraging points tally so far!

Glass half empty but also quite realistic unfortunately.

Would love to be proved wrong and to stay in/around the top 7 but I'd guess we're currently in a bit of a false position.

Carlton_Pie
03-09-2017, 06:46 AM
Playing poorly and winning only gets us so far. We have yet to play the better teams in this league. I'll enjoy the table, as you put it, but am wary of the next run of games.

Long ball to the front two geriatrics will only get us so far, the second goal against Accy shows what can be done bu fluid passing and quick movement. I would love to see more of that!

Geriatrics?

That is so disrespectful! Stead ran his *******s off yesterday and win his fair share of flick ons. Nolan embraced him after the game more than any other player.

Some Notts fans 🤔

optipez
03-09-2017, 07:14 AM
Keldsyke and Macpie, have to say you're sounding a bit triunphalist . We're five games into the season, sooner or later bad performances, ( and one shot on target during 90 mins is not good ) turn into bad results.
I've never seen us get promoted playing badly ,or relegated playing well over a season. I'm as delighted as any Notts fan at our excellent start, and hope that the results breed confidence and belief and that we start to play as we did against Accrington in patches during the second half.
Can't shake the feeling that we aren't good enough to maintain a top seven position with that starting eleven and wish we had signed another mobile striker during the window Hough.

arnapie
03-09-2017, 07:23 AM
Some posters on here, most of whom don't attend games, make me puke. Yes, yesterday's game wasn't the prettiest, but record books will show that we won, but that doesn't suit the agenda of some. It seems some of you MUST find something to whinge about. If we were in the bottom 7 it would be the same "fans" spouting the usual crap, but, bugger me, we are in the top 7, so surely there must be summat to cry about, ah! I know, let's moan about "hoofball to the geriatrics up front", "false positions".

I'll take 3 points over playing "Just like Juve" anytime thank you.

keldsyke
03-09-2017, 08:01 AM
Keldsyke and Macpie, have to say you're sounding a bit triunphalist . We're five games into the season, sooner or later bad performances, ( and one shot on target during 90 mins is not good ) turn into bad results.
I've never seen us get promoted playing badly ,or relegated playing well over a season. I'm as delighted as any Notts fan at our excellent start, and hope that the results breed confidence and belief and that we start to play as we did against Accrington in patches during the second half.
Can't shake the feeling that we aren't good enough to maintain a top seven position with that starting eleven and wish we had signed another mobile striker during the window Hough.

Can you tell me the lottery numbers for next week with your crystal ball?

Not one supporter knows where we will finish this season, instead of whinging get down the lane and help to keep the momentum going.

keldsyke
03-09-2017, 08:03 AM
Some posters on here, most of whom don't attend games, make me puke. Yes, yesterday's game wasn't the prettiest, but record books will show that we won, but that doesn't suit the agenda of some. It seems some of you MUST find something to whinge about. If we were in the bottom 7 it would be the same "fans" spouting the usual crap, but, bugger me, we are in the top 7, so surely there must be summat to cry about, ah! I know, let's moan about "hoofball to the geriatrics up front", "false positions".

Spot on

arnapie
03-09-2017, 08:05 AM
Little vid of last 6 mins at Vale, decent atmosphere.

https://www.facebook.com/peter.sharpe.338/videos/846277908861873/

BanjoPie
03-09-2017, 09:10 AM
Fortunately your and my opinion doesn't matter, it's Nolan's that does and the table doesn't lie regardless of which team is chasing the ball. Go on have a look at the table and enjoy it instead of trying to destroy it. ��

Dear Keldsyke, I do enjoy the win & welcome the 3 points, I am also pleased to see Notts are well placed in the table, I do want them to succeed despite your comments and if you look at my thread "Time for all Boots fans to support KN" you will see that I fully support Nolan. Should I be criticised for wanting to see the players string a few passes together, its not that difficult even Malta can do it.

Oldstripy
03-09-2017, 09:13 AM

Where's the like button.

Oldstripy
03-09-2017, 09:17 AM
Should I be criticised for wanting to see the players string a few passes together, its not that difficult even Malta can do it.

Malta 0 - England 4.

keldsyke
03-09-2017, 09:17 AM
Dear Keldsyke, I do enjoy the win & welcome the 3 points, I am also pleased to see Notts are well placed in the table, I do want them to succeed despite your comments and if you look at my thread "Time for all Boots fans to support KN" you will see that I fully support Nolan. Should I be criticised for wanting to see the players string a few passes together, its not that difficult even Malta can do it.

I refer you (and others) to Arnapie's post, sums it up better than I can, stop the whinging and start supporting.

BanjoPie
03-09-2017, 09:24 AM
Malta 0 - England 4.

Malta lost yes, but my point was that even part-time players can string a few passes together which they did.

BanjoPie
03-09-2017, 09:25 AM
I refer you (and others) to Arnapie's post, sums it up better than I can, stop the whinging and start supporting.

I have 'been supporting' for 51 years and in that time seen some great and some not so great football.

countygump
03-09-2017, 09:35 AM
I see Ilkey won as well, ohhh dearrrrrr...............

https://twitter.com/Signature1862/status/903991098758049792

countygump
03-09-2017, 09:42 AM
karm down.................

ancientpie
03-09-2017, 12:07 PM
Some short memories on here. Curle was hounded out. And at the beginning of 2014/2015 season after 14 games Derry's side were sitting 4th.

Whether or not there is "free flowing" to come is debatable but developing a "convincing" style would be a comfort. We're short of that at the moment.

Indeed some have very short memories & seem to have already forgotten that Curle & Derry were sacked by a completely different owner & also seem to forget the mess we were in when AH & KN took over. We are not perfect but with 2 home games to come we sit 1 point off automatic promotion After what most people were saying was a very difficult start to the season & although I realise that it's still very early days, surely we can find room for a bit of optimism & excitement? even the pessimists among us must concede that 10 points (only another 40 needed for safety) from the 1st 5 games aint bad. :?;D

countygump
03-09-2017, 12:18 PM
Goal came catches Lewis as he. errrrr, nobs it into the net.

https://twitter.com/Official_NCFC/status/904313043772858369

kill_the_drum
03-09-2017, 12:37 PM
Being a relatively positive person I just can never understand the mind set of some of our supporters. They will NEVER be happy!
Who knows where we will finish this season, lower leagues are a lottery!
But FFS just look at the table and enjoy it.
According to many this squad was relegation fodder, so after a good start now apparently the league table lies!
Now apparently we will struggle against the better teams (who are they exactly.)
Would the league table be lying if we were bottom? Course not!

Old_pie
03-09-2017, 12:48 PM
Indeed some have very short memories & seem to have already forgotten that Curle & Derry were sacked by a completely different owner & also seem to forget the mess we were in when AH & KN took over. We are not perfect but with 2 home games to come we sit 1 point off automatic promotion After what most people were saying was a very difficult start to the season & although I realise that it's still very early days, surely we can find room for a bit of optimism & excitement? even the pessimists among us must concede that 10 points (only another 40 needed for safety) from the 1st 5 games aint bad. :?;D

Cautious optimism but not exuberance. It doesn't matter who the owner was the supporters turned on Curle's style of football despite the position we occupied. Derry wasn't sacked until the following season from the one that I cited.

Yes we have more points than I would have predicted, it's a good haul for this early stage of the season. A clean sheet too. Let's hope KN does find a way of improving the way this squad plays - he seems to think they have it in them and I'll be pleased if we are never near a relegation fight this season. But Derry's haul at the end of October 2014 prior to the Walsall game had everyone dreaming of having found the messiah and of championship football. He nearly got us relegated and then lost his job the season after after a dismal set of results.

But you know all this, you've been around longer than me.

jacobncfc
03-09-2017, 01:24 PM
Being a relatively positive person I just can never understand the mind set of some of our supporters. They will NEVER be happy!
Who knows where we will finish this season, lower leagues are a lottery!
But FFS just look at the table and enjoy it.
According to many this squad was relegation fodder, so after a good start now apparently the league table lies!
Now apparently we will struggle against the better teams (who are they exactly.)
Would the league table be lying if we were bottom? Course not!

Would the better teams include Wycombe, one of the teams sat above us, who we stuck four past on their own ground a couple of weeks ago? :P

A fine away performance yesterday. Restricted the home team to long range efforts and set pieces, defended well and took our clear cut chance when it came.

ancientpie
03-09-2017, 02:56 PM
Cautious optimism but not exuberance. It doesn't matter who the owner was the supporters turned on Curle's style of football despite the position we occupied. Derry wasn't sacked until the following season from the one that I cited.

Yes we have more points than I would have predicted, it's a good haul for this early stage of the season. A clean sheet too. Let's hope KN does find a way of improving the way this squad plays - he seems to think they have it in them and I'll be pleased if we are never near a relegation fight this season. But Derry's haul at the end of October 2014 prior to the Walsall game had everyone dreaming of having found the messiah and of championship football. He nearly got us relegated and then lost his job the season after after a dismal set of results.

But you know all this, you've been around longer than me.

Despite my username I am still a young un compared to many on here but I have been around long enough to know anything can happen in football, especially lower league football, AH may sell up to go into business with Ray Trew,KN could be poached to become the next Brazil manager or Duffy & Hollis could be headhunted by Barcelona to shore up their defence, we don't know so why not enjoy a bit of success while we can?

apieandpint
03-09-2017, 05:56 PM
Out of curiosity, when was the last time a successful Notts side produced the free flowing, winning football that most on here seem to crave?

arnapie
03-09-2017, 06:10 PM
Out of curiosity, when was the last time a successful Notts side produced the free flowing, winning football that most on here seem to crave?

2010, when we spent money we didn't have ( cheated )

BigFatPie
03-09-2017, 06:34 PM
The Curle team that just missed out on the play offs was pretty expansive. Not exactly successful, but it was the highest placed team we've had in the last 15-20 years.

I don't think anyone expects Nolan's side to be free flowing, especially away from home, but what I'm curious about is do people who went yesterday think it was a professional, clinical away victory which is likely to be regularly repeated for the rest of the season or a fairly spawny win against a poor side that could easily have gone the other way?

A bit more interesting (to me anyway) than moaning about moaners.

Bohinen
03-09-2017, 06:46 PM
2010, when we spent money we didn't have ( cheated )

We didn't spend that much. All investment based on borrowing is cheating really. Buying a house on a mortgage is cheating, if you believe you shouldn't spend money unless you already have it in your bank account. What Munto did is similar to what Ray Trew did, just they were better at it.

Anyway, I would say 1982. But I enjoyed Warnock's side, despite people saying it wasn't 'proper' football. Yes, people were moaning even back then, so why are some posters getting hysterical in their moaning about the moaners when no fecker is moaning anyway.

Proudpie
03-09-2017, 06:58 PM
Very much the latter

Proudpie
03-09-2017, 07:00 PM
I.e. the scruffy away win against a poor side who should have been one up at half time
Not complaining but not convinced we deserve to be 5th - just yet...

tarquinbeech
04-09-2017, 12:39 AM
I.e. the scruffy away win against a poor side who should have been one up at half time
Not complaining but not convinced we deserve to be 5th - just yet...

Strange that the highlights package doesn't show the Vale attack that hit the base of the Notts post......I might need to watch the full game again on iFollow........but I haven't had enough beers yet!!

sidders
04-09-2017, 10:12 AM
Free-flowing football in league 2? This division is renowned for being one you have to scrap and battle your way out of. Warnock, provider of our best recent memories, was a battler until he could afford the kind of players who indulged their silky skills. Even now at Cardiff, he's assembled a team of battlers and had the close season to do it so it may not be a temporary phenomenon.
The league table is meaningless at this stage.

CmonUSexyStylishPies
04-09-2017, 10:50 AM
The league table is meaningless at this stage.

It is - talk of 'in the playoffs' is pretty meaningless as they're 7 months away...

The table only really starts to take shape after about 10 games.

Frigiliana Pie 1
04-09-2017, 11:07 AM
It is - talk of 'in the playoffs' is pretty meaningless as they're 7 months away...

The table only really starts to take shape after about 10 games.

Absolutely right. And if anyone wants the evidence, here's the top six after 5 games last season:-

1 Morecambe, 2 Luton, 3 Doncaster, 4 Colchester, 5 Mansfield, 6 Carlisle

Of these, only Doncaster won promotion.

ReadWarbler
04-09-2017, 01:25 PM
Absolutely right. And if anyone wants the evidence, here's the top six after 5 games last season:-

1 Morecambe, 2 Luton, 3 Doncaster, 4 Colchester, 5 Mansfield, 6 Carlisle

Of these, only Doncaster won promotion.

Evidence - Why stop at 6th ?
7th Plymouth - Promoted
8th Portsmouth - Promoted
Also Carlisle and Luton were in the playoffs, so five out of the top eight finished in the final important places.
I agree it is too early to talk about promotion/playoffs but don't dismiss early season form, these games count for as much as the ones at the end of the season, 3pts for a win etc.

irish_pie
04-09-2017, 01:47 PM
Evidence - Why stop at 6th ?
7th Plymouth - Promoted
8th Portsmouth - Promoted
Also Carlisle and Luton were in the playoffs, so five out of the top eight finished in the final important places.
I agree it is too early to talk about promotion/playoffs but don't dismiss early season form, these games count for as much as the ones at the end of the season, 3pts for a win etc.

This is the positive attitude that i like... granted nothing is sorted after 5 games but we are going great guns at the moment.. Saturdays game is not a given but Morecambe are not great shakes so lets hope for a decent performance and 3 points to strengthen our position...

KeepTheMagpieFlyingH
04-09-2017, 02:59 PM
04/05 we were top going into September..look how that season panned out.

The table means nothing as others have said.

We'll finish comfortably in mid table..which isn't the end of the world considering past seasons efforts. We have a solid side that lacks the finer ingredients needed to be pushing.

60YearsAPie
04-09-2017, 04:24 PM
04/05 we were top going into September..look how that season panned out.

The table means nothing as others have said.

We'll finish comfortably in mid table..which isn't the end of the world considering past seasons efforts. We have a solid side that lacks the finer ingredients needed to be pushing.

It was 2005/06 but you make a good point KTMFH.

The last game in August we won at Mansfield to go 3 points clear at the top of the table. (That was the last time we won at Mansfield).

We then went 9 games without a win and ended the season winning 1 of our last 16 games and finishing 21st and 3 points off going out of the league.

Looking at Stats:

In each of the last 4 seasons, 4 teams who were in the top 7 after 5 games finished in the top 7 at the end of the season.

Of those 16 teams over the 4 seasons, 8 won automatic promotion and 8 reached the play-offs but only 1 won the play-off final. In the other 3 seasons the winner of the play-off final was not in the top 7 after 5 games.

What does all that prove? Absolutely nothing! What’s happened in the past doesn’t have a bearing on what’s going to happen this season.

I’d rather be in 5th with 10 points though, after 5 games than 5th from bottom with 4 points.

Over the last 10 seasons 52 points would have seen you retain your place in the Football League. So that’s only 42 more points to go to safety!

irish_pie
04-09-2017, 04:35 PM

The last game in August we won at Mansfield to go 3 points clear at the top of the table. (That was the last time we won at Mansfield).

We then went 9 games without a win and ended the season winning 1 of our last 16 games and finishing 21st and 3 points off going out of the league.

Looking at Stats:

In each of the last 4 seasons, 4 teams who were in the top 7 after 5 games finished in the top 7 at the end of the season.

Of those 16 teams over the 4 seasons, 8 won automatic promotion and 8 reached the play-offs but only 1 won the play-off final. In the other 3 seasons the winner of the play-off final was not in the top 7 after 5 games.

What does all that prove? Absolutely nothing! What’s happened in the past doesn’t have a bearing on what’s going to happen this season.

I’d rather be in 5th with 10 points though, after 5 games than 5th from bottom with 4 points.

Over the last 10 seasons 52 points would have seen you retain your place in the Football League. So that’s only 42 more points to go to safety!
That's very interesting reading, thanks man

ancientpie
04-09-2017, 04:44 PM

Looking at Stats:

Very interesting stats, I must admit that I don't take much notice of the table until after 10/12 games other than the more early points we get the less chance of a panic later. I must say that considering we won away I have been surprised by some of the negativity in this thread, if nothing else we are 7 points clear of relegation.

JoePass
04-09-2017, 04:50 PM
Crickets sounds more exciting

Cricket exciting ? lol.

jacobncfc
04-09-2017, 04:56 PM
Table is by the by at this stage but I think the really promising thing is that the team (the opening day aside where we just didn't look ready for it) seem to be following Nolan's game plan pretty much by the book every week.

Whether it's the style or the game plan that most of us want to see is another matter, i'm personally not that bothered as long as we're winning games, but Nolan has made no secret of the fact that it's how he wants his team to be.

Notts78
04-09-2017, 05:40 PM
I find it interesting that some fans think we may end up mid table. Although 5 games is by no means a barometer of how this season will pan out, the teams we have played would all have probably made most peoples short list for top half finishes. In fact out of all the teams played, Coventry were thought of the least on a betting front. So given the teams we have played and done OK against, I think it seems we are doing well, the acid test will be against teams that don't 'come at us'.