PDA

View Full Version : If McKinnon Goes/Gets Sacked Who Is Next?

PortugueseFrank
08-09-2017, 08:45 AM
Most are in agreement about McKinnon.

Dire football, suspect tactics, suspect selections. That’s all been well argued on other threads.

So I’m wondering who the realistic candidates to replace are?

For me I reckon we are looking at unemployed managers as we’ll surely never afford to pay off McKinnon then pay compo for a new manager.

Slim pickings. Looking at the Terry Butchers of this world, maybe Billy Davies if we can afford him.

At least Davies would want to grab the whole football setup by the scruff of the neck and revamp.

So folks. What’s our realistic options?

RAM1971
08-09-2017, 09:08 AM
As much as Ray might rightly deserve the heave, I am not in favour of this until the far greater need is addressed, and that is the complete evacuation of the Thompson regime from Tannadice. Until that happens it is pointless looking for another manager who fits in with Stevie's ideal.

Keep Ray. He just might help us address the Thompson issue before long. Focusing on and sacking the manager just allows the manager to be Stevie's scapegoat.

offshore_arab83
08-09-2017, 10:13 AM
I'd take John Hughes or Owen Coyle

offshore_arab83
08-09-2017, 10:14 AM
As much as Ray might rightly deserve the heave, I am not in favour of this until the far greater need is addressed, and that is the complete evacuation of the Thompson regime from Tannadice. Until that happens it is pointless looking for another manager who fits in with Stevie's ideal.

Keep Ray. He just might help us address the Thompson issue before long. Focusing on and sacking the manager just allows the manager to be Stevie's scapegoat.

Theres no chance ST is going anywhere, who on earth would pay for his room in the Old Course?

RAM1971
08-09-2017, 10:53 AM
Theres no chance ST is going anywhere, who on earth would pay for his room in the Old Course?

I suspect this sort of thing has a lot to do with it. Despite his statements to the effect he is more than willing to sell, I suspect he really is not inclined to do so unless he gets an OTT offer. United are providing him a a cash cow as long as he is at the helm. Once that is surrendered, where does he go? Certainly not the Old Course Hotel with all its 'privileges.' Mark my words, he is heading for his 'downfall,' the pity is he might take United with him?

PortugueseFrank
08-09-2017, 12:47 PM
I'd take John Hughes or Owen Coyle

Two good shouts I’d say.

Hughes is a positive character. A breath of fresh air. Fresh set of eyes.

Coyle experienced a very good managerial level. Ex players managing United give me the fear though. Always seem to fail. Maybe too much added pressure what with their connection? Who knows. But you would hope a candidate of Coyle’s calibre would be possible.

one team in city
08-09-2017, 02:38 PM
hughes for me i think he would tell thomson stay away from football matters and go play at dock st lol:o

offshore_arab83
08-09-2017, 03:23 PM
Two good shouts I’d say.

Hughes is a positive character. A breath of fresh air. Fresh set of eyes.

Coyle experienced a very good managerial level. Ex players managing United give me the fear though. Always seem to fail. Maybe too much added pressure what with their connection? Who knows. But you would hope a candidate of Coyle’s calibre would be possible.

Aye ex players returning never usually work for us sadly... has to be one one day

Dunfy-Arab
08-09-2017, 07:37 PM
Is that the same John Hughes who kicked his toys oot the pram at Inverness, allegedly lost the dressing room at Raith after 2 weeks of being there, and let the kitman pick the team (as he claimed on TV) the game before he got punted? Aye, sound exactly what we need.... :(

Arabs4ever
08-09-2017, 07:38 PM
Danny Lennon for me. Had St Mirren playing good football then got the chop, the Midden then got relegated after the Tommy Craig/Gary Teale management.

Got St Mirren promoted and won a cup with them. With our squad of players he would sort it out and get more fans coming through the turnstiles.

Otm_Shank
09-09-2017, 10:56 AM
Mind when people were wanting Billy Davies?....good lord the boy is making an absolute tit of himself with this hearts and rangers malarky

Whitfieldarab
09-09-2017, 11:05 AM
Mind when people were wanting Billy Davies?....good lord the boy is making an absolute tit of himself with this hearts and rangers malarky

I would have Billy Davies. John Hughes is an idiot though.

LSArab
09-09-2017, 11:13 AM
1. My own view - Ray should be given more time to work with his signings for this season

2. ST out - he is main problem and don't know who we could attract that would work with him

3. Out of choices discussed - Coyle or Lennon seem best. They've been out of manager jobs for a while so might be willing to take United job on

RAM1971
09-09-2017, 11:43 AM
1. My own view - Ray should be given more time to work with his signings for this season

2. ST out - he is main problem and don't know who we could attract that would work with him

3. Out of choices discussed - Coyle or Lennon seem best. They've been out of manager jobs for a while so might be willing to take United job on

For me, item 2 before any other consideration. Root out the cancer at source.

Otm_Shank
09-09-2017, 01:24 PM
I would have Billy Davies. John Hughes is an idiot though.

Assuming you haven't heard his views on utd being beneath him.....literally his words.

Jedi u-Knighted
09-09-2017, 01:35 PM
Assuming you haven't heard his views on utd being beneath him.....literally his words.

He can GTF then and Hughes can join him.!! Out of names mentioned, Danny lennon seems the best of a bad bunch.

Need someone who realises we most probably have best squad of players in the league and who then uses them to attack every team we play until we win the game comfortably....., or is that too much to ask.?

shedboy71
09-09-2017, 04:19 PM
**** it go for the Dumbarton manager he seems to know where our weaknesses are anyway

LSArab
09-09-2017, 04:23 PM
Jack Ross would be nice. We've sunk so far under ST now though I suspect no chance of that

Hoofballer
09-09-2017, 04:38 PM
As long as it's not the bloke doing all the shouting from the back of the George Fox lower today, seemed to know as much as Ray does about football !

TangerineDream
09-09-2017, 05:44 PM
Amongst other ramblings of moronic proportions the nutjob that is Billy Davies is quoted as saying

"He added: "I will not jump back in to a St Mirren, a Dundee United, a Hearts, with all due respect to these clubs. I know I am a very good football manager. I will not jump back into football and take a job that is beneath me."

Arse

PortugueseFrank
09-09-2017, 05:55 PM
Amongst other ramblings of moronic proportions the nutjob that is Billy Davies is quoted as saying

"He added: "I will not jump back in to a St Mirren, a Dundee United, a Hearts, with all due respect to these clubs. I know I am a very good football manager. I will not jump back into football and take a job that is beneath me."

Arse

Dickhead Davies

tHeArAb
09-09-2017, 05:57 PM
Jack Ross would be nice. We've sunk so far under ST now though I suspect no chance of that

We've been hit too hard in the past with up & coming managers. We need tried & tested to steady the ship. This is no job for a manager in only their second managerial position.

LSArab
09-09-2017, 06:04 PM
Which managers have we had who have been successful in recent years

Levein and PH.

They turned up after being fairly abject failures at Leicester - but someone has failed in English championship and done well in Scottish prem would not come to us now - with ST and in Scottish championship

The Davies comments above show that too

PH was in his first manager job with us when he took over.

Bottom line is if you are good enough then that is all that matters

Personally I think we need someone smart and who has shown they can do it in this division before - ross and Lennon if they can be attracted, which itself is pretty doubtful

Please not Yogi Hughes. Last seen getting Raith relegated?!? He's an up and at him type - hardly appropriate when the next manager will inherit a team of midget gems

TangerineDream
09-09-2017, 06:04 PM
I thought maybe Hughes the last time. I like his enthusiasm and his havers about the game however he seems to have made a complete arse at Raith , too risky.

I would like Coyle , decent likeable lad with extensive experience. Can't see him coming to United though , certainly not in this division.

Jack Ross - decent upcoming manager , deja vous , way too risky.

We definitely need an experienced head but not keen on Danny "you know" Lennon either.

So phuk knows.

LSArab
09-09-2017, 06:07 PM
Major problem is ST and any manager wanting to work here must be willing to risk their reputation with him where other managers have failed or we have managers with no reputation to shred

Step forward MIXU 🙈😩

Chick A Saw
09-09-2017, 06:09 PM
I just thought about Stephen Pressley, but the ex-player mantle and the fact he doesnt look like a good manager steer me away again.

LSArab
09-09-2017, 06:57 PM
Pressley seems to have somehow got a mediocre reputation yet he has not done well anywhere he has been.

Definite no to him.

shedboy71
09-09-2017, 07:10 PM
Paul Hartley till end of season he would get us up. And that would be funny.

JelloBiafra
09-09-2017, 07:54 PM
Paul Hartley till end of season he would get us up. And that would be funny.

And he would get us up too. Might get offered his old job back soon though??

An old shed boy
09-09-2017, 08:03 PM
Hartley would do for me.
Good job at Dens and would have kept them up if the board hadn't panicked.
I'll take the abuse for this but Jim Duffy would do a better job for us than Mackinnon.

TangerineDream
09-09-2017, 08:20 PM
Wouldn't be keen on the gadgie at all. But ........!

Reluctantly also have to agree about Duffy, would have us much better organised

shedboy71
09-09-2017, 08:52 PM
Hartley would do for me.
Good job at Dens and would have kept them up if the board hadn't panicked.
I'll take the abuse for this but Jim Duffy would do a better job for us than Mackinnon.

No i was just talking about Duffy - but i do think this would be too big for him. Still would get players setup better

shedboy71
09-09-2017, 08:53 PM
Wouldn't be keen on the gadgie at all. But ........!

Reluctantly also have to agree about Duffy, would have us much better organised

Ken but got to stage Mike England would be better

scoobydufc
09-09-2017, 09:11 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if there isnt already C.V's on the table

darrenshedtastic
09-09-2017, 09:31 PM
dont like to talk about possible replacements for ray when the guys still in the job but...... after watching today ive decided ill join in:/

no to davies is too arrogant
iffy about lennon done well at saints but not totally convinced.
no to pressley
wouldve took hughes but maybe not after the job he done at raith.
coyle wouldnt come

leaves us not many options?

possibly alan stubbs if we could convince him????
i wouldnt be too against aitken from dumbarton

LSArab
09-09-2017, 09:37 PM
I think aitken has a decent day job and so likes to be part time.

Not many decent options available to us so right we consider anyone we can though

LSArab
09-09-2017, 09:46 PM
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/1258915/dumbarton-stephen-aitken-rolls-royce-hectic-life/amp/

Just looked this up - seems Aitken is pretty ambitious so I'd guess he'd be interested in United job

An old shed boy
09-09-2017, 09:55 PM
Let's be honest.
I'd think every manager in our league would think they could win the league with our squad.

shedboy71
09-09-2017, 10:02 PM
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/1258915/dumbarton-stephen-aitken-rolls-royce-hectic-life/amp/

Just looked this up - seems Aitken is pretty ambitious so I'd guess he'd be interested in United job

right now id take the phucking chance - we aint going up anyway

shedboy71
09-09-2017, 10:02 PM
Let's be honest.
I'd think every manager in our league would think they could win the league with our squad.

and probably could

An old shed boy
09-09-2017, 10:08 PM
I'd guess that most, maybe all, managers must be laughing their c*cks off at playing United.
Best squad with useless manager.

LSArab
09-09-2017, 10:08 PM
Spot on. Some good managers in the league except for ours

Hoofballer
09-09-2017, 10:14 PM
Spot on. Some good managers in the league except for ours

All the clubs got better managers.... fact, certainly got their players playing for them.

dundeeunitedfc83
09-09-2017, 10:29 PM
The boy aitken who's manager of Dumbarton has done a excellent job, Hartley, Stubbs, Hughes, Houston all better managers! Genuinely feel for ray but he's so out of depth, really really want him to do well but he's being to ignorant with not playing with 2 up top and picking his favourites

An old shed boy
09-09-2017, 10:34 PM
If you want to be unkind.
And I do after a few beverages.
His head is so far up his own arse he actually believes he's doing a good job.

RAM1971
10-09-2017, 08:50 AM
He simply believes what he has been indoctrinated to believe and thinks it will all gel sometime. It's the 'B' side of Jackie's 'some team will get a real doing from us soon!'

Classic symptoms of systematic brainwashing.

shedboy71
10-09-2017, 09:10 AM
If you want to be unkind.
And I do after a few beverages.
His head is so far up his own arse he actually believes he's doing a good job.

seems the case again with his interviews post match. Unbelievable stuff now

cybershed
10-09-2017, 10:11 AM
Taxi for McKinnon pronto. Seen enough, if we get someone else in quick we can still win this league.

stokearab
10-09-2017, 07:54 PM
I was thinking about this today and it made my head hurt quite a lot. Change too early, change too late etc

But I've got to the stage where I think Heggie and Bow could not do any worse. How could they do any worse with this group of players? Tell me they could do worse! If Paul Sturrock was persuaded to come up and guide things for a bit maybe we'd see a blend beginning to develop and passion energy and fight returning.

Quite prepared to be shot down, but how could they be worse than Ray who is getting the least possible out of a decent set of players?

Pissed off in Pitlochry

offshore_arab83
10-09-2017, 08:56 PM
Based on luggys bulls1t ramblings on angry Arab I'd say he's on the Utd payroll now so with the nonsense he posts. He's turned into another yes man for ST.

stokearab
10-09-2017, 09:04 PM
Based on luggys bulls1t ramblings on angry Arab I'd say he's on the Utd payroll now so with the nonsense he posts. He's turned into another yes man for ST.

His postings on here were very much back the club, patience etc. I've no problem with that if there are signs that we have a team to enjoy on the pitch. It was just an example of who could do better.

Who could do worse?

offshore_arab83
10-09-2017, 09:06 PM
I don't think anyone could be worse than what we've got stokey

Mr_Brightside
10-09-2017, 10:37 PM
Hartley and Jim Duffy. Right let's just all just take a deep breathe... I'm giving him until the league can game hat comes after the linfield fixture. If we lose all the games in between then **** it give it to bomber.

stokearab
10-09-2017, 10:49 PM
Hartley and Jim Duffy. Right let's just all just take a deep breathe... I'm giving him until the league can game hat comes after the linfield fixture. If we lose all the games in between then **** it give it to bomber.

Not sure if you mean Hartley and Duffy would do worse or would do better? Not a fan of Hartley but Duffy had Morton playing decent football last season and punching well above their weight.

Send Bomber to St Andrews in search of ST, would be his best contribution B)

An old shed boy
11-09-2017, 11:29 AM
In the event of his unlikely departure who would we trust to pick the team until a new manager came in ?

offshore_arab83
11-09-2017, 12:59 PM
Some random from the Rock arabs could pick a better team than that chunt!

An old shed boy
11-09-2017, 01:15 PM
Doesnt really answer the question Offshore.
We ( many of us anyway )want him to go.
If he does somebody will have to stand in until we appoint a new manager.
Can't say anybody at Tannadice inspires confidence.

chayirbazov
12-09-2017, 09:01 AM
Doesnt really answer the question Offshore.
We ( many of us anyway )want him to go.
If he does somebody will have to stand in until we appoint a new manager.
Can't say anybody at Tannadice inspires confidence.

Pound to a penny If McKinnon gets punted, Flood will be given the job interim to see what he can do.

stokearab
12-09-2017, 11:19 AM
Pound to a penny If McKinnon gets punted, Flood will be given the job interim to see what he can do.

Can't see McKinnon getting a P45 as we are broke. Gardening leave maybe to force him into reduced comp. But if it did happen I would imagine Cathro's name will get mentioned.
Can see why you're thinking an existing employee might be favoured due to the relative low extra cost involved but i cant see anyone inside the club with the right attributes.

ahlltanyirhide
12-09-2017, 11:51 AM
McKinnon is highly rated by his fellow pros and may come good in the future, but right now he is starting to look like McNamara standing in the dugout. He is in need of advice from a mentor who can grab the attention of players and coaching staff alike, a hard no-nonsense individual who understands what is required to toughen up a team. Someone not afraid to grab these under achievers by the throats and fleg the phukkin life outta them. This would be the most cost effective method of achieving what we all want, and what the club needs.

stokearab
12-09-2017, 11:59 AM
McKinnon is highly rated by his fellow pros and may come good in the future, but right now he is starting to look like McNamara standing in the dugout. He is in need of advice from a mentor who can grab the attention of players and coaching staff alike, a hard no-nonsense individual who understands what is required to toughen up a team. Someone not afraid to grab these under achievers by the throats and fleg the phukkin life outta them. This would be the most cost effective method of achieving what we all want, and what the club needs.
Sounds like you're volunteering 😅😅😅
Go for it.

ahlltanyirhide
12-09-2017, 12:09 PM
Sounds like you're volunteering ������
Go for it.

Nah, I'd get done with assault. I'd terrorise those kunts worse than what John phukkin Gotti ever got FACT

offshore_arab83
12-09-2017, 03:09 PM
mckinnon is highly rated by his fellow pros and may come good in the future, but right now he is starting to look like mcnamara standing in the dugout. He is in need of advice from a mentor who can grab the attention of players and coaching staff alike, a hard no-nonsense individual who understands what is required to toughen up a team. Someone not afraid to grab these under achievers by the throats and fleg the phukkin life outta them. This would be the most cost effective method of achieving what we all want, and what the club needs.

like!!!

Chick A Saw
12-09-2017, 03:25 PM
right now he is starting to look like McNamara standing in the dugout.

Im glad im not the only one who has noticed this! Why is this this happening again?