PDA

View Full Version : Forget bashing RM & ST for a minute.....

USArab
16-09-2017, 06:06 PM
If you were the manager, which team would you pick, which formation would you play, what would you do differently to get away from our current form?

Chick A Saw
16-09-2017, 06:12 PM
If you were the manager, which team would you pick, which formation would you play, what would you do differently to get away from our current form?

Lewis,
Murdoch, Durnan, Edje, Robson
King, Fyvie, Briels, McMullan
Keatings, N'koyi

GingerPetric
16-09-2017, 06:21 PM
Something different needs to be done/tried cos the same old, tired, dirty thing that we keep trying just isn't working.

4-4-2 or 4-3-3

Keeper takes care of itself - Lewis

Murdoch or Toshney
Any 2 from the three
Robson till Scobbie returns

McMullan
Any 2 from Briels/Fyvie/Stanton
King

N'Koyi
Keatings

McDonald - impact sub given his age

For 4-3-3

N'Koyi central
McMullan and Keatings in wider roles

The above 3 midfielders.

Would just like to see something different, just to see if it would work or improve what we are being served up

tHeArAb
16-09-2017, 06:25 PM
Piointless question imo as its not the formation or the team. 4231 and the team selections would be fine if the players were fired up, believing in themselves and going out there with the right mentality. They are not and no formation in the world will change that.

ballumbie_arab
16-09-2017, 06:26 PM

I would play 4-4-2 away from home, and the same or even 3-4-3 at home, and press EVERY team straight from kick off, with a high tempo attacking approach (none of this "working into the game" p!sh). We're the big team in the league, let other teams known and believe that. Play with confidence and swagger, and at the very least, give 110%. While I appreciate we will not win all games, at least show me you want to, and are doing everything you can to do so.

We had the opportunity to stamp our mark on this league from the start (with what appeared to be good signings), and get teams worried about facing us. Instead we've taking the tentative approach, got found out in a couple of games, and now lost all confidence, and other teams now fancy their chances (as they did last year).
ALL of the above IS the manager's responsibility, he's there TO MANAGE HIS TEAM OF PLAYERS, and is not doing it.

GUNBOAT
16-09-2017, 06:29 PM
Honestly mate i wish i lived abroad so i did not have to watch a Ray McKinnon team again,having bought my season ticket i missed the first 2 home games due to work.I am self employed so it was my choice to work rather than go to the QOS and Brechin games.I was working last Saturday too but finished in time to make the Dumbarton game and after 5 minutes i felt like going home.
To see my team lining up at home with 7 defender's(keeper back 4 and 2 holding mids) and still conceding to a bunch of part timers after 5 minutes was enough for me.I did stay till the end and at least witnessed a great free kick from Keatings but it was one of the worst first half performances i have ever witnessed at Tannadice.

GUNBOAT
16-09-2017, 06:31 PM
Piointless question imo as its not the formation or the team. 4231 and the team selections would be fine if the players were fired up, believing in themselves and going out there with the right mentality. They are not and no formation in the world will change that.

That's it in a nutshell mate.

Daly9
16-09-2017, 06:32 PM
The problem with the original question (although it's hypothetical) is that if I was the manager, I wouldn't have re-signed Murdoch or Flood. That money would've been spent on two proper full backs who are capable of getting up the line, supporting our wingers and getting deliveries into the box.

Another imbalanced squad assembled by a tactically inept manager whom ST appointed without even listening to what other candidates were interested and what ideas they could bring to the table.

We'll see no progression under their watch.

Chick A Saw
16-09-2017, 06:38 PM
(with what appeared to be good signings)

This wee bit has got me reflecting on the game today and i cant help but think we missed out by not going for Sibbald. I have a serious dislike for this lad, but his energy, running off the ball and desire was there for all to see! Something that some of our players should be looking at!

Oddsox
16-09-2017, 06:43 PM
Lewis
Murdock. Edge. Durrnam. Robson
Stanton. Fivie
McMullen King
Keatings
Nkoyi

GUNBOAT
16-09-2017, 06:49 PM
I know you guy's living abroad have access to the games through your Arab Zone subscription's but i dont know if you are getting the full picture of how bleak the Tannadice match day experience is,i have never turned my back on the team due to results in over 50 years but i freely admit i regret getting my season ticket now as the performances are just as bad if not worse than last season and as tHe ArAb says its not team selection or formation's that's the issue its McKinnon's negativity engulfing the club,that's where the problem lies.

ballumbie_arab
16-09-2017, 06:58 PM
I know you guy's living abroad have access to the games through your Arab Zone subscription's but i dont know if you are getting the full picture of how bleak the Tannadice match day experience is,i have never turned my back on the team due to results in over 50 years but i freely admit i regret getting my season ticket now as the performances are just as bad if not worse than last season and as tHe ArAb says its not team selection or formation's that's the issue its McKinnon's negativity engulfing the club,that's where the problem lies.

Gunboat, totally agree with you, and had I known the formation/tactics that McKinnon would have adopted with those players, I wouldn't have renewed mine.

Edited to add:
Me and my brother are back to leaving not long after half time (back to The Brewster days), and very soon, and likewise to that era, questioning whether to go at all !! :-(

GUNBOAT
16-09-2017, 07:20 PM
Gunboat, totally agree with you, and had I known the formation/tactics that McKinnon would have adopted with those players, I wouldn't have renewed mine.

Edited to add:
Me and my brother are back to leaving not long after half time (back to The Brewster days), and very soon, and likewise to that era, questioning whether to go at all !! :-(

I know things went tits up with McNamara and i still hate the transfer deal his agent conned out of the rent man but i must admit work was never on the Saturday agenda for most of his tenure as our manager,i would happily lose a £100 and spend the same to watch the team home and away.
At times he was tactically inept and he had better player's at his disposal than McKinnon but his 4-2-3-1 was a different kettle O fish compared to Ray's,FACT.

DerryJungle
16-09-2017, 07:23 PM
GK - Harry Lewis
RB - Murdoch or Toshney (Both are equally pish)
CB - Durnan
CB - Edjenguele
LB - Robson
DM - Fyvie
CM - Stanton
CM - Fraser
RF - Keatings
ST - McDonald
LF - McMullan

Similar to the way Manchester City set up, with one holding midfielder, and two attacking central midfielders in de Bruyne and Silva.

There's absolutely no reason whatsoever for us to be playing with two holding midfielders in this division. The fact that he signed so many of them in the summer raised doubts about his intentions for this season in my mind, and those doubts have been validated so far.

I spoke recently to someone that played under McKinnon at Lochee United, who told me that even then, McKinnon set his team up to not get beat first and foremost. That may be fine at Lochee United or Brechin City or Raith Rovers, but at Dundee United, particularly a First Division Dundee United, that's simply not acceptable, and that mentality simply shouldn't be allowed by those at the top.

There was couple of games in the Premier League at McDiarmid Park under McNamara where like today, we barely got in a shot at goal. I remember walking away feeling absolutely disgusted and reasonably angry at what I witnessed, so at First Division level, games like that simply should not be tolerated, if the chairman has any interest in the club whatsoever, McKinnon should be dragged into his office first thing tomorrow morning and told in no uncertain terms that that level of performance and brand of football is completely unacceptable and entirely beneath a club of Dundee United's standing.

Mediocrity has been accepted at our club far too long for my liking. It's time we let the club know that performances like today, like Dumbarton and like Brechin will not be tolerated.

borderarab
16-09-2017, 07:34 PM
Let's be honest, Thompson won't be dragging anyone into the office for a dressing down as long as the club are funding him, why would he rock the boat he has everyone's season ticket money now lol. get set for the march 2018 begging letter for season tickets and the big push to back the manager to get out this league. McKinnon is hopeless but Thompson will just appoint another cheap dud, he has to go before any other manager is appointed

USArab
16-09-2017, 07:52 PM

I know what you are saying but I grudge paying money even for the A Zone live games, I catch the post match banter, the goals and the highlights. I have to say the atmosphere these days sounds pretty dire.

When I was a season ticket holder I went to all the home games and some away where possible, I always backed the team and never left early, although the McCall/Brewster/Chisholm days really put that to the test. I know it's heavy going when the team is not performing on the park unlike the McLean era where you went with a feeling of excitement and an expectation to win the game.

GUNBOAT
16-09-2017, 08:04 PM
I know what you are saying but I grudge paying money even for the A Zone live games, I catch the post match banter, the goals and the highlights. I have to say the atmosphere these days sounds pretty dire.

When I was a season ticket holder I went to all the home games and some away where possible, I always backed the team and never left early, although the McCall/Brewster/Chisholm days really put that to the test. I know it's heavy going when the team is not performing on the park unlike the McLean era where you went with a feeling of excitement and an expectation to win the game.

Here mate i mind in the old 1st division between 71 and 75 when we had 3000 at Tannadice v the likes of East Fife,Arbroath and Morton and adults i stood next to calling for McLean's head!.I know football fans can be fickle but i reckon most of those guys calling for the head of wee Jim would be birling in their graves if they had to watch a McKinnon version of DUFC,they never knew how good they had it back then mate!.

Chick A Saw
16-09-2017, 08:12 PM
although the McCall/Brewster/Chisholm days really put that to the test. I know it's heavy going when the team is not performing on the park unlike the McLean era where you went with a feeling of excitement and an expectation to win the game.

The really sad thing is, most games in most seasons, there was a chance that we would be entertained and in most games, there was still a fair bit of entertainment even loose or draw. Now there is no entertainment i feel i dont want to part with my money when there is too much doubt as to how my money is being used, added to the dross i see!

Arabs4ever
16-09-2017, 08:28 PM
[QUOTE=borderarab;38655402]Let's be honest, Thompson won't be dragging anyone into the office for a dressing down as long as the club are funding him

I had to have a chuckle at the above quote, knowing our chairman the above could be interpreted in a very different meaning!!

USArab
16-09-2017, 09:40 PM
Here mate i mind in the old 1st division between 71 and 75 when we had 3000 at Tannadice v the likes of East Fife,Arbroath and Morton and adults i stood next to calling for McLean's head!.I know football fans can be fickle but i reckon most of those guys calling for the head of wee Jim would be birling in their graves if they had to watch a McKinnon version of DUFC,they never knew how good they had it back then mate!.

Spot on!

USArab
16-09-2017, 09:40 PM
The really sad thing is, most games in most seasons, there was a chance that we would be entertained and in most games, there was still a fair bit of entertainment even loose or draw. Now there is no entertainment i feel i dont want to part with my money when there is too much doubt as to how my money is being used, added to the dross i see!

Agreed!

GUNBOAT
16-09-2017, 10:07 PM
If i was the manager of DUFC with the biggest budget in the league i would have no plan B and recruit players who could play in a straight forward 4-3-3 formation and most of my budget would be spent on my front 3,this would only be done at Championship level of course.I would have signed a proper right back and told Toshney,Flood and Murdoch their tea was oot.
At Championship level i would not have signed McDonald instead it would have been a battering ram 6 foot 2 centre forward fed by 2 speedy wide players and Fraser would be my central player in the 3 behind and told he would be dropped if he didna pull his weight and he would never play wide just to make up the numbers.
That's how simple it is boys eh?. :O

An old shed boy
16-09-2017, 10:14 PM
Too much sense in that post.
Best squad in the league with an idiot managing them..

arabian_ian
16-09-2017, 10:23 PM

I was there mate and could not agree more with your post.