PDA

View Full Version : Certain things causing concern today

Chick A Saw
16-09-2017, 06:59 PM
Taking away the general display, there were a few specific things that concerned me today. And yes some are recurring from last season!

Quinn and Toshney not taking part in that funny final team warm up then low and behold, Quinn pulls up not long after kick off and Toshney didnt look 100%.

Fyvie in the second half, any time he got the ball from Lewis, he was 90 degrees to the direction of play and didnt look like he had a clue how to rectify it!

Keatings on the bench being the only game changer option!

Ray persisting with McDonald in the team, never mind up front on his own, although i think McMullan was up with him. Goes hand in hand with shelling the ball up to the shortest front line in the league!

Stanton being pushed out wide when he is most definitely a central player!

Answers on a postage stamp please!

PortugueseFrank
16-09-2017, 07:21 PM
There’s a lot of bafflement to be found at the moment.

Unfortunately, not much entertainment.

Ray is meant to be a knowledgable coach but I can’t see why he persists with hopeless styles of play.

The lack of entertainment is just so dire.

My crowd were shaking our heads in the car on the way back asking why we’d paid to see United.

I can’t justify the spend on away games anymore. The entertainment value is just not there to justify the travel etc.

Chick A Saw
16-09-2017, 07:46 PM
The lack of entertainment is just so dire.

My crowd were shaking our heads in the car on the way back asking why we’d paid to see United.

I can’t justify the spend on away games anymore. The entertainment value is just not there to justify the travel etc.

I am at the point of giving up on home games, never mind the 2 or 3 away games my work allows me to attend!

PortugueseFrank
16-09-2017, 08:40 PM
I am at the point of giving up on home games, never mind the 2 or 3 away games my work allows me to attend!

I’m not giving up the home games. Although it’s hard to get motivated for it.

I’ll be there in the ET at the home league games.

Today I’m done with away games but we’ll see.

I might be daft enough to change my mind.

Modern football is about entertainment.

It’s not even about local pride anymore. Our players are only a Tannadice 20 times a year if we are lucky. So the local thing is shot. And I just can’t justify the travelling for that dross.

I can bet a pound and watch a bundesliga game on my iPad or laptop at 3pm on Saturdays and be more entertained and with the bet on it I’ll be invested enough to get into the game.

United are draining all my football enthusiasm away.

Probably the culmination of our fall from grace.

offshore_arab83
16-09-2017, 09:07 PM
I can’t justify the spend on away games anymore. The entertainment value is just not there to justify the travel etc.I'm knocking majority of away games on the head too, names down for Dunfermline but unless we play better against Morton next week i wont be in deepest darkest Fife

PortugueseFrank
16-09-2017, 09:24 PM
I'm knocking majority of away games on the head too, names down for Dunfermline but unless we play better against Morton next week i wont be in deepest darkest Fife

Brechin is happening cause it’s close but I’m not even up for Dunfermline anymore.

The journeys are always fine. It’s just the gruel we are dished up upon arrival.

Desperate stuff.

ianharab
16-09-2017, 09:27 PM
That's the main concern we all have even when we do manage a win , the performance is poor as it was last season , worrying thing is its no getting any better although it's different players which points at the problem being the manager and his tactics and formations

ianharab
16-09-2017, 09:28 PM
See you on the bus for Dunfermline OA

RAM1971
16-09-2017, 10:16 PM
In all my many years supporting Dundee United I have seen many highs and lows, but always I felt they were my team. As a result of the past 2-3 years Dundee United do not feel like Dundee United any more. I have never experienced this before, even during the very tough days. Somehow I just feel so alienated from the Club, almost to the point that I could not care any more. I have been cut adrift.

The heart has been ripped out of the Club and as a result my heart for the Club has been ripped out as well. I want my Club back. My Club is not what stands in its place now.

GUNBOAT
16-09-2017, 10:37 PM
In all my many years supporting Dundee United I have seen many highs and lows, but always I felt they were my team. As a result of the past 2-3 years Dundee United do not feel like Dundee United any more. I have never experienced this before, even during the very tough days. Somehow I just feel so alienated from the Club, almost to the point that I could not care any more. I have been cut adrift.

The heart has been ripped out of the Club and as a result my heart for the Club has been ripped out as well. I want my Club back. My Club is not what stands in its place now.

That's the way i feel as well,there has always been a hardcore of Dees in the Hilltown area who i referred to as the Gillette soccer Saturday boys,they would argue even in anger want to fight with me over their beloved club but none of them had set foot in a football ground in years.
After another semi final victory v Raith Rovers my bus returned to the Taxi Club and a Gillette boy called me an Arab barsteward before i had even managed to get in the place because he knew in 4 weeks time i was gonna be back with the cup won and he just couldna handle it.I could never understand why these soccer Saturday boys could be so bitter yet also be so disenfranchised from their club but now i'm beginning to get their drift.

shedboy71
16-09-2017, 10:40 PM
If we were playing attacking football and going for it but struggling for results folk would come back. but we are gash and have been for 16 months.

Anyone know if NKoyi was injured?

arabian_ian
16-09-2017, 10:43 PM

My feelings exactly Ram. How sad it has come to this.

FTD1983
17-09-2017, 07:15 AM
It's called being a glory hunter lads. Love the team when they are doing well, go off them when they are ****e.

No shame in it - it's human nature.

RAM1971
17-09-2017, 09:08 AM
It's called being a glory hunter lads. Love the team when they are doing well, go off them when they are ****e.

My dear friend you need to re-read my post and absorb it to see how distant you are from the truth!

GUNBOAT
17-09-2017, 09:36 AM

If i was a glory hunter why did i choose to support a team who had never won a major honour in its history?,when i was 11 the team up the street won their 5th trophy but i was still at Tannadice the next week.

TerryTheTerror
17-09-2017, 10:04 AM
Did you go online to moan about it though? :P

huntedbyafreak
17-09-2017, 10:25 AM
Don't think the term glory hunter can be labelled at anyone who supports anyone other than Celtic or Deadco.

TerryTheTerror
17-09-2017, 10:35 AM
Don't think the term glory hunter can be labelled at anyone who supports anyone other than Celtic or Deadco.

I totally agree.

FTD1983
17-09-2017, 07:35 PM
Glory hunter is a relative term in Scottish football.

To me, stopping attendance when the going gets tough after a relatively successful recent history is the absolute epitome of it.

Lot of people get offended by the term but it's basic consumer rights and human nature.

If you think our recent cup successes haven't added to our support (over 20k there etc) and that these new fans used to the good times are starting to lose interest now you're deluded.

Sutherland Arab
17-09-2017, 08:10 PM

Pretty much exactly how I feel at the moment.
Seen some really awful United teams in the past but always felt good times were around the corner.
All I see around the corner is a slow and painful death of a great club, due to deluded managers, plastic players and a greedy bald snake.
When the real Dundee United returns so will I but for now they are the definition of insanity for me.

RAM1971
17-09-2017, 08:48 PM

To me, stopping attendance when the going gets tough after a relatively successful recent history is the absolute epitome of it.

Lot of people get offended by the term but it's basic consumer rights and human nature.

If you think our recent cup successes haven't added to our support (over 20k there etc) and that these new fans used to the good times are starting to lose interest now you're deluded.

I still think you are not getting it. However, everyone to their own opinions. You're either pissing against the wind, or a live fish, i.e. one which can swim against the current. I have to admit the past three years have left me all but dead to Dundee United and am getting swept away by the current!

Chick A Saw
17-09-2017, 10:04 PM

Im offended by that term in this case!

Wasnt alot of money around my family when we started going to see United and i think one of the first games was the cup final relay v Rangers, so hardly the basis of a glory hunting 36 years! Add in one League win, all those European nights and all those Hampden finals after that, still isnt enough to be a basis for glory hunting! Because in the league, there was still teams that were more successful who the glory hunters follow!

To me, it isnt the glory i am looking for, its to see my home team doing the best with what players and revenue it can muster, being led by someone i can believe in, and who is delivering for the fans.

So when i dont see my team delivering for the fans like we are and have been for a long time now, i reserve the right to vote with my feet and choose something else to spend my money on! Please dont insult my intelligence for doing so!

FTD1983
18-09-2017, 06:09 AM
Im offended by that term in this case!

Wasnt alot of money around my family when we started going to see United and i think one of the first games was the cup final relay v Rangers, so hardly the basis of a glory hunting 36 years! Add in one League win, all those European nights and all those Hampden finals after that, still isnt enough to be a basis for glory hunting! Because in the league, there was still teams that were more successful who the glory hunters follow!

To me, it isnt the glory i am looking for, its to see my home team doing the best with what players and revenue it can muster, being led by someone i can believe in, and who is delivering for the fans.

So when i dont see my team delivering for the fans like we are and have been for a long time now, i reserve the right to vote with my feet and choose something else to spend my money on! Please dont insult my intelligence for doing so!

I'm not insulting your (or anyone else's) intelligence although I may have struck a nerve by the looks of it - not my intent btw.

You're wee story above about 36 years support etc warms the cockles of the heart, that's longer than me (by virtue of age more than anything else) but I'm sure you'd concede that those 36 years, whilst coming with occasional downs, have been the most successful in our history?

You obviously just miss the 3 league cup wins (although I presume you were a Utd fan through those, just not attending) but even removing them, only Celtic, Rangers and Aberdeen have won more majors than us in that period (from memory us, hearts and hibs have 3 each?)

Now that we are ****e you are losing interest in attending (as is your right) as have many others - it's just what happens.

Another couple of years down here playing this ****e football (hopefully ****ing not) and our support will be down to the hardcore only.

Seen it with the fun - crowds ground down by the extended jolly, spiked (by their standards) when they eventually got promoted,but those glory hunters back on the bandwagon have slipped away as they've stagnated in top flight and now they are back to the hardcore.

It's what happens. No idea why people get so upset by it.

TerryTheTerror
18-09-2017, 06:19 AM
Folk are being upset by you using the term glory hunter and are simply pointing out that it if anyone was to be one of them the most unlikely choice would be to follow Dundee United. Of course we'll lose fans the longer we stay in the lower league but I'd be hard pushed to call any fan who supports us a glory hunter.

Charlie arab
18-09-2017, 06:56 AM
Fairweather fan would be a better description than glory hunter.

shedboy71
18-09-2017, 09:14 AM
Over on Tek we have had 2 away wins since last December in league. One was that awful Ayr game!

Smeds makes a very good point that our home record on paper merely papers over the cracks and we are found out away from home (i am sure ive misquoted him a bit ;D ).

So many fans (it maybe 0.05% who knows) are fed up are the woeful performances. And despite trying to pull out some hope its just not working.

What an awful away record

Chick A Saw
18-09-2017, 09:30 AM
I'm not insulting your (or anyone else's) intelligence although I may have struck a nerve by the looks of it - not my intent btw.

You're wee story above about 36 years support etc warms the cockles of the heart, that's longer than me (by virtue of age more than anything else) but I'm sure you'd concede that those 36 years, whilst coming with occasional downs, have been the most successful in our history?

You obviously just miss the 3 league cup wins (although I presume you were a Utd fan through those, just not attending) but even removing them, only Celtic, Rangers and Aberdeen have won more majors than us in that period (from memory us, hearts and hibs have 3 each?)

Now that we are ****e you are losing interest in attending (as is your right) as have many others - it's just what happens.

Another couple of years down here playing this ****e football (hopefully ****ing not) and our support will be down to the hardcore only.

Seen it with the fun - crowds ground down by the extended jolly, spiked (by their standards) when they eventually got promoted,but those glory hunters back on the bandwagon have slipped away as they've stagnated in top flight and now they are back to the hardcore.

It's what happens. No idea why people get so upset by it.

Our only 2 back to back League cup wins i just missed and if it was glory i wanted, i would not have followed United as we got beat in my first game! But i was not a fan of football at all prior to that first game.

And us being as bad as we are just now, it is only the tip of the iceberg as to the reasons why i am about to walk away. Especially when i am spending half of whats left after all the bills n food is paid for!

I am not happy with the way my club is being run, i am no longer happy with the manager, and i am not seeing the players put in the effort i give to my job.

Next week i need to see a team selection and formation i can be confident with, then i need to see some effort, a wee bit of entertainment, and most important a bloody win! After that i will be at Brechin and Livi away, but will be deciding about each game as it comes after that.

Whitfieldarab
18-09-2017, 09:34 AM

Ye agree with that CA.

Suppose it's up to the individual whether they want to take the rough with the smooth or give up and go shopping with the wife on match day. I won't give up my team, for me Saturday is football day and I don't think that will ever change.

Chick A Saw
18-09-2017, 09:50 AM

Not even close!

Until last season i very rarely managed an away day with not enough money and work getting in the way. Would never even thought about a game in Buckie but did that and now cant justify spending the money for no return, or with a negative return considering other goings on!

shedboy71
18-09-2017, 10:19 AM
Ye agree with that CA.

Suppose it's up to the individual whether they want to take the rough with the smooth or give up and go shopping with the wife on match day. I won't give up my team, for me Saturday is football day and I don't think that will ever change.

would be nice to watch it without covering your eyes though eh!? XD

FTD1983
18-09-2017, 11:36 AM
Seems to me you are happy to admit you are considering not going at the moment as you don't enjoy it, mostly due to the poor quality and lack of positive results. You cite management and club board but they've never stopped you up until now and it's only since results and performances have turned extremely poor that you voice this desire to stop attending.

Also seems to me that fits the description of a glory hunter / fairweather fan, however you want to spin it - the sticking point for yourself seems to be getting labelled as anything - fair do's mate, I'm not judging you nor expecting you to justify your statements - you have no need to do so.

I'm just calling it like I see it. I've missed the last 3 home matches. 2 through lack of interest and one through a wedding I had to attend - I enjoyed all 3 of those weekends more than I would have at Tannadice and although I'll still support the club I'm forced to admit to myself that I'm clearly a bit of a "glory hunter" who doesn't fancy watching 11 boys in tangerine go through the motions and narrowly win, lose or draw with dross week in week out. We get to a cup semi (even the diddy cup) or the playoffs and I know I'd be there with bells on but a routine game at Tannadice vs Livi, Dumbarton, Brechin, QotS Morton etc - I'd honestly rather ****e in my hands and clap at the moment.

We are ****e. I don't think you'll find anyone on here who can hold hands up and say they think we are a good side or a well run club at the moment, and I've got enough **** going on in my life to put time and money into a hobby/passion that's dragging me down further.

Whitfieldarab
18-09-2017, 12:35 PM
would be nice to watch it without covering your eyes though eh!? XD

A dozen pre match bevvies makes us look like Barca.

You should try it it's great��

shedboy71
18-09-2017, 12:42 PM

Oh i do only way but then spend most of game actually laughing at the way we play

Charlie arab
18-09-2017, 05:11 PM
Not even close!

Until last season i very rarely managed an away day with not enough money and work getting in the way. Would never even thought about a game in Buckie but did that and now cant justify spending the money for no return, or with a negative return considering other goings on!

Wasn't aimed at you personally Chick, just a general term for fans who don't go during hard times on the park. As a few boys have pointed out the term glory hunter is more for fans of the old firm.

If lack of money is the reason guys can't make it that's totally different and understandable.

RAM1971
18-09-2017, 06:01 PM
Fans differ in the amount and type of commitments, responsibilities, time and money, that they have, all of which affects their ability to attend matches. Some are die hards, whilst other like to go to an occasional game to support the team of their choice and hopefully see a good match. Many fall in between the two extremes and have other interests that they like to pursue as well, hence the product on the park has to be of a standard that it is a more attractive option for the punter.

If the majority of fans feel they are being cheated by the product on the park or are just wasting their time, then sooner or later other options will predominate.

It's got to be worthwhile (for most).

offshore_arab83
18-09-2017, 08:02 PM

It doesnt, it just makes you want to go back to pub at half time lol

ahlltanyirhide
18-09-2017, 08:07 PM

Don't know about the pub, but on Saturday we defo considered retiring to our vehicle and the kerry oot which was inside

Chick A Saw
18-09-2017, 09:31 PM
Well one of my concerns has been answered!

Quinn should not have been in the line up in the first place! Does the manager have any idea about not playing guys who are not at their best?

I also wonder if N'Koyi was forced though training the day before with a sore leg then pulled his hamstring!

shedboy71
18-09-2017, 09:42 PM

especially in the death trap cappielow :D

shedboy71
18-09-2017, 09:43 PM
Well one of my concerns has been answered!

Quinn should not have been in the line up in the first place! Does the manager have any idea about not playing guys who are not at their best?

I also wonder if N'Koyi was forced though training the day before with a sore leg then pulled his hamstring!

Quinn was on codeine - now i thought that was a banned substance?????