PDA

View Full Version : Nolan signs new 3 year contract

CmonUSexyStylishPies
20-09-2017, 01:32 PM
Notts County manager Kevin Nolan has signed a new three-year contract with the club.

Nolan arrived at Meadow Lane in January alongside chairman and owner Alan Hardy and the pair have since led a remarkable upturn in the club's fortunes.

The Magpies comfortably retained their EFL status last season and have begun the 2017-18 campaign in sensational style, winning their last four matches without conceding to sit second in the Sky Bet League Two table.

DomdomPie
20-09-2017, 01:40 PM
Great news. Let's hope we've finally arrived at a period of stability and progress.

tarquinbeech
20-09-2017, 01:41 PM
Notts County manager Kevin Nolan has signed a new three-year contract with the club.

Nolan arrived at Meadow Lane in January alongside chairman and owner Alan Hardy and the pair have since led a remarkable upturn in the club's fortunes.

The Magpies comfortably retained their EFL status last season and have begun the 2017-18 campaign in sensational style, winning their last four matches without conceding to sit second in the Sky Bet League Two table.

Great news....now let's hope that we continue our run of form and get out of this division....COYP

Wedgie_pie
20-09-2017, 02:51 PM
Great news....now let's hope that we continue our run of form and get out of this division....COYP

Hear Hear Sir....but can I just add this bloody awful division :)

irish_pie
20-09-2017, 02:55 PM

Its great news indeed and totally happy about this.... but as we all know contracts are worthless in today's world so lets hope there is a nice buy out clause just incase... but in saying that KN seems a decent bloke who is genuinely interested in Notts future so can only be a good thing.

frenchmagpie
20-09-2017, 03:48 PM
AH has said he has a gentlemans agreement with KN if a big club come in. Not sure what that means .. compensation but no block I can only assume.

Frigiliana Pie 1
20-09-2017, 04:09 PM
This is brilliant news. I suppose that one day KN will leave us for a much bigger club and the gentlemen's agreement acknowledges the inevitability of this. However, signing a three year contract seems to show commitment to Notts at least for the medium term and hopefully he can get us a promotion or two before he goes.

BigFatPie
20-09-2017, 04:41 PM
Great news.

countygump
20-09-2017, 07:30 PM
Great news.

Good news indeed. Short vid of this afto's presser.

http://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/football-news/alan-hardy-feels-kevin-nolan-507605

MAD_MAGPIE
20-09-2017, 08:05 PM
AH has said he has a gentlemans agreement with KN if a big club come in. Not sure what that means .. compensation but no block I can only assume.

I think we all know that if a manager does well with us then they will at some point move onto bigger and better things. We are after all a league two club. Even in our current excellent position of 2nd in the league there are 69 clubs higher than us in the entire football league. However I would sooner this be the case than us getting managers on their way down or having failed elsewhere and keep sacking managers every season.

It's just the same with a young up and coming Manager as it is a player. Some at the first
sniff of the big time are off like a shot. Others are prepared to grow with the clubs they are at and rise with the club.

I'd like to think that as KN has a seasons worth of managerial experience (see my KN completed thread regarding stats) then the next three years gives him an apprenticeship and the space and security to learn his managerial trade at Notts. Likewise it gives the club stability that we much crave providing he continues how he has done with both ourselves and Leyton Orient.

I always wanted us to find our own Eddie Howe. I hope we have found him, but should we achieve a promotion in those three years under Nolan and we do well in League One that's when other bigger clubs will take notice and come knocking such as what happened with Big Sam when he went to Bolton all those years ago.

BigFatPie
20-09-2017, 08:12 PM
I think we all know that if a manager does well with us then they will at some point move onto bigger and better things. We are after all a league two club. Even in our current excellent position of 2nd in the league there are 69 clubs higher than us in the entire football league. However I would sooner this be the case than us getting managers on their way down or having failed elsewhere and keep sacking managers every season.

It's just the same with a young up and coming Manager as it is a player. Some at the first
sniff of the big time are off like a shot. Others are prepared to grow with the clubs they are at and rise with the club.

I'd like to think that as KN has a seasons worth of managerial experience (see my KN completed thread regarding stats) then the next three years gives him an apprenticeship and the space and security to learn his managerial trade at Notts. Likewise it gives the club stability that we much crave providing he continues how he has done with both ourselves and Leyton Orient.

I always wanted us to find our own Eddie Howe. I hope we have found him, but should we achieve a promotion in those three years under Nolan and we do well in League One that's when other bigger clubs will take notice and come knocking such as what happened with Big Sam when he went to Bolton all those years ago.

Of course the idea further on is that even when Nolan does move on, the infrastructure, culture and playing style are so ingrained in the club that changing the manager doesn't even make much difference. Like Swansea when they moved up the leagues.

All a long way off, let's just hope we can keep one manager for one whole, successful season.

MAD_MAGPIE
20-09-2017, 08:20 PM
Of course the idea further on is that even when Nolan does move on, the infrastructure, culture and playing style are so ingrained in the club that changing the manager doesn't even make much difference. Like Swansea when they moved up the leagues.

All a long way off, let's just hope we can keep one manager for one whole, successful season.

I completely agree and what you have said is so very true. It is about forming the clubs identity and as you have pointed out the long term aim should be for the club to be left in a better state than it was found so could not agree more.

As you have said for this club the first part of the rebuilding process is to get a full calendar year with KN as manager which would be an achievement in itself if he is still at the club when the transfer window opens in January.

Then it will be a case of going a full season.

SolSigns
20-09-2017, 08:35 PM

Good point. I think AH would be wise to think carefully about what Nolo's best practices are - and to define the Notts club culture generally so he can determine who is and who isn't a good fit going forward.

Just guessing, but Alan Smith also appears to be having a significant influence on Notts' culture as it is becoming formed.

DannyNotts
20-09-2017, 09:09 PM

The good thing is Nolan is a multi millionaire so he certainly won't be leaving for the money side of things.

SolSigns
20-09-2017, 09:12 PM
The good thing is Nolan is a multi millionaire so he certainly won't be leaving for the money side of things.

That's a great point too. Allardyce was probably lured by the cash as much as the chance to return to Bolton, but Nolo would be more immune to that kind of enticement. We hope.

spag
21-09-2017, 06:28 AM
Anybody know why Eddie Howe never moved on I'm sure there were some takers for him?

Undoubtedly KN will move on. Was his recruitment lucky or does AH and his team of advisers know how to find and recruit quality management. This will be important for the long term.

Finally, What is the gentleman's agreement from KN, to get us into the championship? because I'm sure AH is a shrude businessman so will not be agreeing to something like that with out something in return.

Ps. Is it true KN is moving his family to Nottingham?

DaveSmithRules
21-09-2017, 06:46 AM
Eddie Howe did move on briefly to Burnley. But Bournemouth bought in loads of money and he moved back to complete the mission.

queenslandpie
21-09-2017, 06:47 AM
Anybody know why Eddie Howe never moved on I'm sure there were some takers for him?

Undoubtedly KN will move on. Was his recruitment lucky or does AH and his team of advisers know how to find and recruit quality management. This will be important for the long term.

Finally, What is the gentleman's agreement from KN, to get us into the championship? because I'm sure AH is a shrude businessman so will not be agreeing to something like that with out something in return.

Ps. Is it true KN is moving his family to Nottingham?

Like any quality ambitious young manager he will of course want to better himself one day but I would say we should have him for the next 2 and a bit seasons. He still hasn't actually achieved anything of note however but signs are of course positive. It won't come down to the money we pay necessarily but it will come down to how much investment can be made in the club to keep him.

Drowse
21-09-2017, 07:59 AM
Like any quality ambitious young manager he will of course want to better himself one day but I would say we should have him for the next 2 and a bit seasons. He still hasn't actually achieved anything of note however but signs are of course positive. It won't come down to the money we pay necessarily but it will come down to how much investment can be made in the club to keep him.

Nolan has the making s of a top manager, hopefully he will be with us long enough to take us into the Championship at the very least.

This will depend on the gates going up at Meadow Lane to help fund this, along with some very astute investment in home grown talent & shrewd investment by Alan Hardy.

All looks rosy at the moment, 4 promotions in 5 years does not seem like an impossibility at this moment in time.

CmonUSexyStylishPies
21-09-2017, 10:56 AM
All looks rosy at the moment, 4 promotions in 5 years does not seem like an impossibility at this moment in time.

Yep, our ascent to the champions league is a mere formality.

irish_pie
21-09-2017, 11:09 AM
Just a question but has he totally given up playing football himself?

Drowse
21-09-2017, 04:04 PM
Just a question but has he totally given up playing football himself?

In a nice way I hope we don't see him in a match, that would more than likely be a sign that he had not got the right players in the squad. Suppose stranger things could happen to change that though.

SwalePie
21-09-2017, 04:13 PM
Yep, our ascent to the champions league is a mere formality.

Beat me to it yet again :D

Wedgie_pie
22-09-2017, 08:16 AM
Interview this morning on Radio Red that he's moving his family up to Nottingham, which I guess shows his commitment. Wonder where Mrs Nolan will settle in, will she become part of the West Bridgford set (whatever that is) or maybe around Woodborough or Mapperley Park/Top, or she might like the POSH sounding names of the Meadows, St Annes or Lenton Abbey...Where ever they settle for the next few years, welcome to Nottingham Mrs N I'm sure you'll like it here....:)

The_Don_ORiordan
22-09-2017, 08:47 AM

So multi millionaires aren't motivated by more money? I think that view is a little naive.

Whilst I'd agree that the challenge is surely a greater factor at this point in KN's career. To imagine he wouldn't be influenced by more money is just daft.

Millionaires have a standard of living that needs maintaining.....and improving like everyone else. The quantum of this shouldn't, but does not matter.

Bigger, houses, boats, planes etc more money for their kids, wife....

sidders
22-09-2017, 08:53 AM
Interview this morning on Radio Red that he's moving his family up to Nottingham, which I guess shows his commitment. Wonder where Mrs Nolan will settle in, will she become part of the West Bridgford set (whatever that is) or maybe around Woodborough or Mapperley Park/Top, or she might like the POSH sounding names of the Meadows, St Annes or Lenton Abbey...Where ever they settle for the next few years, welcome to Nottingham Mrs N I'm sure you'll like it here....:)

Gotta admit, Wedgie, that St Anne's has a ring to it. I mean, you wouldn't be in any kind of danger where saints live, would you now? And Lenton Abbey must have peace-loving monks and friars wherever you look.

The_Don_ORiordan
22-09-2017, 08:55 AM
Gotta admit, Wedgie, that St Anne's has a ring to it. I mean, you wouldn't be in any kind of danger where saints live, would you now? And Lenton Abbey must have peace-loving monks and friars wherever you look.

Hyson Green always sounds lovely too. Full of wide open green spaces and parks.

Wedgie_pie
22-09-2017, 09:09 AM

I'm off the Lenton Abbey estate myself Sidn, loved growing up there during the 50's and 60's great times, although the monks habit was a tad uncomfortable around the nether regions and I didn't care must for the haircut...Later in life when anyone asked where I was from I used to put on an American accent and say LA...which wasn't a lie I guess..;D