PDA

View Full Version : Mass Debate

Ponte_Steve24
21-09-2017, 07:19 AM
Morning All,

The debate rages about top clubs fielding weakened teams in the Carabao Cup. Plenty of fans think it mocks the competition. However, I think if you've spent money on a squad of say 33 players. They all feel they should play and should think they are good enough to be in the first team.

So how is this a weakened team? As a club you pay the player's wages and the manager should feel free to pick whatever team he deems fit.

Exiletyke
21-09-2017, 07:36 AM
Morning All,

The debate rages about top clubs fielding weakened teams in the Carabao Cup. Plenty of fans think it mocks the competition. However, I think if you've spent money on a squad of say 33 players. They all feel they should play and should think they are good enough to be in the first team.

So how is this a weakened team? As a club you pay the player's wages and the manager should feel free to pick whatever team he deems fit.

I think it was a league match but Mick McCarthy was fined for fielding a weakened Wolves team against Man U
Shameful by FA

EastStandRed
21-09-2017, 08:53 AM
Morning All,

I agree , should be able to play whoever they want within reason

animallittle3
21-09-2017, 09:06 AM
The gripe I have with it is that League football is now the be all and end all .

Both cups are now massively undervalued , I was looking the other day at the Spurs team we faced in the league cup in 1986 , it was over two legs and Spurs took a 3-2 lead back to WHL .

Clemence , Ardiles , Hoddle , Allen , Claeson , and Waddle all played in both games .

It irritates me more in the FA cup because it's a great competition envied the world over and it's history and heritage are totally disrespected .

The cups were always something you looked forward to , can't say that's the case today because they are so undervalued by the majority of PL and Championship clubs .

Jules88
21-09-2017, 09:18 AM
Yet another attempt by foreigners to devalue everything we have good in this country. It was when foreign managers arrived in this who started this trend.

redsarebest
21-09-2017, 09:18 AM
I believe that the managers look at the team they are playing against and pick a team that they think will be good enough to beat them utilising the full squad and youth in order to look at fringe players for me its fine, some times they get beat and then their fans get short changed. you can only beat the team you face and if they loose their fans should not be saying it was only our second team. it is their team and the one that the manager picked

Ponte_Steve24
21-09-2017, 09:20 AM
I believe that the managers look at the team they are playing against and pick a team that they think will be good enough to beat them utilising the full squad and youth in order to look at fringe players for me its fine, some times they get beat and then their fans get short changed. you can only beat the team you face and if they loose their fans should not be saying it was only our second team. it is their team and the one that the manager picked

Like :D

Exiletyke
21-09-2017, 10:26 AM
Like :D

Or don't want to risk injury for a lesser less lucrative objective
It's all about money,nowt else

Ponte_Steve24
21-09-2017, 10:35 AM
Says a lot about the mentality these days Exile. I know I'd rather be playing week in, week out.

animallittle3
21-09-2017, 10:50 AM
Says a lot about the mentality these days Exile. I know I'd rather be playing week in, week out.

The game's full of fear isn't it , PL and Championship status at all cost , for the majority of PL clubs their only goal is to remain in the league and not the winning of trophies .

Very sad but that's capitalism for you .

Old Goat
21-09-2017, 11:29 AM
The league cup has always been second fiddle to the FA cup. For starters it's a relative newcomer, only started in 60-61; has had numerous name changes as sponsors have changed which hasn't helped it achieve any status; and it lacks the potential for non-league giant-killing that makes the FA Cup so magical.

That said, the EFL does have its plus points: no replays to clog up fixture lists, semi-finals played over two legs at each participants home ground (shame on the FA for moving FA Cup semis to Wembley), and perhaps most importantly, the winners qualify for the EUFA Cup.

I've no problem at all with the big boys or any other clubs for that matter playing youth/fringe players in the EFL. That's their choice and its why clubs have squads. Its not something I like to see in the FA Cup, but thats probably just me being nostalgic. Agree with Redsarebest, it's the manager's call and if it goes pear-shaped, then the fans know who to blame (if they're interested). Personally I'd be chuffed to bits if we had a good EFL cup run. Wouldn't bother me if it was a different set of faces to the regular starting eleven, it's still The Reds.

SBRed48
21-09-2017, 11:33 AM
Yet another attempt by foreigners to devalue everything we have good in this country. It was when foreign managers arrived in this who started this trend.

I welcome all things foreign, foreign investors buying our clubs to make a buck, foreign managers introducing new skills and methods which has transformed the England team, foreign players chasing the wages and restricting the development of our lads. Am telling thi nar day will come when some Chinese money man teks ovva Barnsley, daft as it sarnds.

Disrespecting the FA Cup began when Man Utd's American owners pulled 'em arta FA Cup to mek money in an overseas tournament. It'll
be Barnsley next to laik in China am telling thi.

Exiletyke
21-09-2017, 12:49 PM
I welcome all things foreign, foreign investors buying our clubs to make a buck, foreign managers introducing new skills and methods which has transformed the England team, foreign players chasing the wages and restricting the development of our lads. Am telling thi nar day will come when some Chinese money man teks ovva Barnsley, daft as it sarnds.

Disrespecting the FA Cup began when Man Utd's American owners pulled 'em arta FA Cup to mek money in an overseas tournament. It'll

Disrespecting the FA Cup began when Man Utd's American owners pulled 'em arta FA Cup to mek money in an overseas tournament

It was done with the FA's blessing, nay behest

Jules88
21-09-2017, 12:58 PM

Ha ha ha

Exiletyke
21-09-2017, 04:14 PM
Going a bit far now Jules
just be content with C5 Football show:P
Anything for publicity

http://i63.tinypic.com/mukc4l.jpg

SBRed48
21-09-2017, 05:30 PM
Is that a tit top reyt ?

Jules88
21-09-2017, 06:45 PM
Going a bit far now Jules
just be content with C5 Football show:P
Anything for publicity

http://i63.tinypic.com/mukc4l.jpg
Sorry mate.. I can't make it out.. am I being a bit thick?

Jules88
21-09-2017, 06:47 PM
Can see it now.... watch this space
People will be drawing my Avatar all over soon.. ##Julestools LOL

Exiletyke
21-09-2017, 06:55 PM
can see it now.... Watch this space
people will be drawing my avatar all over soon.. ##julestools lol

like :)

Acido
21-09-2017, 09:19 PM
I agree , should be able to play whoever they want within reason

I also agree Esr, but what does within reason mean.
Theres nothing wrong with playing totally weak teams in the cup as far as the rules go. But morally, and for fans who pay good money to travel and watch their team, it absolutely sucks and I think the rules should be changed accordingly.

EastStandRed
22-09-2017, 01:44 AM
I also agree Esr, but what does within reason mean.
Theres nothing wrong with playing totally weak teams in the cup as far as the rules go. But morally, and for fans who pay good money to travel and watch their team, it absolutely sucks and I think the rules should be changed accordingly.

Not a full team from the U18s would be within reason .

I don't agree on that other point Acido , if you go to watch a League Cup game in the early rounds it's pretty much nailed on that it would be a weakened team you were going to see. Prices are reduced as well compared to other games .

How would you change the rules , you have to play so many from the previous game ?