PDA

View Full Version : Motherwell v Aberdeen league

RED_JOHN
23-09-2017, 09:27 AM
After a poor show from our players and management on Thursday let's hope they get their act together and we get to see a bit of positivity from our club.

My starting eleven

Rogers
Logan
O'Connor
Arnason
Shinnie
Tansey
Christie
Wright
Stewart
May
Rooney

Aldo1983
23-09-2017, 09:41 AM
Yeah that Lewis definitely doesn't deserve a chance to make up for Thursday.

sheepcrooky
23-09-2017, 09:51 AM
After a poor show from our players and management on Thursday let's hope they get their act together and we get to see a bit of positivity from our club.

My starting eleven

Rogers
Logan
O'Connor
Arnason
Shinnie
Tansey
Christie
Wright
Stewart
May
Rooney

Lewis should start. With that team, you either have the dreaded back 3, or Shinnie at LB and only Tansey with any strength in midfield. I'm okay with Shinnie at LB, but think we need Ball protecting the back 4 (hopefully better than Thursday). So for me from your team, Lewis in for Rodgers and Ball in for Rooney.

And a far more spirited team than last week.

RED_JOHN
23-09-2017, 10:05 AM
Lewis should start. With that team, you either have the dreaded back 3, or Shinnie at LB and only Tansey with any strength in midfield. I'm okay with Shinnie at LB, but think we need Ball protecting the back 4 (hopefully better than Thursday). So for me from your team, Lewis in for Rodgers and Ball in for Rooney.

And a far more spirited team than last week.

A 4-4-2 Shinnie at left back to give us a bit more speed on and off the ball. Tansey and Christie in the centre of midfield as one is used more as the defensive shield and the other to create attacks through the middle.
Rogers a definite to start as Lewis should be let known that was unacceptable...imagine Rogers had played on Thursday and performed like that! No way would he be have been in the starting eleven this weekend.
The balance of that team is more or less equal...we are equipped to defend sufficiently and certainly better equipped to attack.

DonVincenzo (The II)
23-09-2017, 10:44 AM

My starting eleven

Rogers
Logan
O'Connor
Arnason
Shinnie
Tansey
Christie
Wright
Stewart
May
Rooney

You would drop a keeper who has made 1 mistake in over 60 games?
That will inspire the team yeah.
Just as well you dont pick the team.

Pauldolski10
23-09-2017, 10:51 AM
The hysteria on here is mental after Thursdays shambles. Back to basics on sunday and we will get the win. Lewis won’t play as bad again thats a certainty.

Lewis
Logan O’Connor Arnie Consi
Shinnie Tansey
Wright Christie Stewart
May.

That team will win and there is even a chance we will be top of the pile after the final whistle.

dons8321
23-09-2017, 11:01 AM
The hysteria on here is mental after Thursdays shambles. Back to basics on sunday and we will get the win. Lewis won’t play as bad again thats a certainty.

Lewis
Shinnie Tansey
Wright Christie Stewart
May.

That team will win and there is even a chance we will be top of the pile after the final whistle.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if Reynolds replaced Consi and, unfortunately, can't see McLean being dropped. Think McInnes might go 4-4-1-1 so Tansey, McLean, Shinnie, Wright; Christie; May.

RedStarTorphins
23-09-2017, 11:13 AM
Lewis
Logan AOC Arnason Shinnie
Tansey McLean
Stewart Christie Wright
May

A few concerns with that X1
- chronic lack of pace at centre half. Moult will like that
- Stewart is a lazy get & won't track back but so feckless is GMS I'd give him a go.
- is Tansey fit to start?

TheDeeDon
23-09-2017, 11:20 AM

My starting eleven

Rogers
Logan
O'Connor
Arnason
Shinnie
Tansey
Christie
Wright
Stewart
May
Rooney

You would really drop Lewis on the back of a bad performance??

I'm all for people having different opinions, but feck me min, Joe has saved us far more than cost us and has banked enough credit which would allow him a few more bad games to come before I would even consider dropping him.

SHinnie and Lewis are the only 2 of our current team we cannot drop. I would say Christie too, but we have to play games without him anyway, so we need to try other folk in his role.

Jussi
23-09-2017, 11:39 AM
It's not clever psychologically to drop the goalie after one poor game( seeing as he done exceptionally in most matches) unless we drop the whole 11 which would be justified, if we had larger squad.
make the change after he has had another game or 2.

It's the manager I'd like to change though. Why can't he be dropped ( for assistant) after a few poor games like we do with players , stupid tradition I guess.
I really can't see anything other than another shambles. We have been ragged in every game this season imo

therealsouthstander
23-09-2017, 02:28 PM
Drop the manager for the assistant?

Mega Lolz

What do we do? Lock him in a cupboard for the week?

I've read some proper sh*te on here but this is taking things to a new level..

Thanks for a genuine laugh out loud moment.

steviex
23-09-2017, 02:51 PM

Lewis
Shinnie Tansey
Wright Christie Stewart
May.

He may not play as bad again but take your keepers mistakes out and Aberdeen created the square root of fpuck all

Jussi
23-09-2017, 03:02 PM
What do we do? Lock him in a cupboard for the week?

No, It's full of the players not making the team that week.

Jupiter
23-09-2017, 04:28 PM
He should lock the tombola in a cupboard. Permanently.

mondo_notion
23-09-2017, 04:40 PM
Think I'll head down to this. Where is a good place to park? I was thinking about the tesco express not far from the ground?

WatsonNimrod
23-09-2017, 06:08 PM
My missus is away for a hen weekend and I happened to be down at Todders today returning a pair of socks. No idea why I asked if they still had tickets for tomorrow and no idea why I asked if the supporters bus was full.

29 years since I was last on a supporters bus to the Central Belt.

87kilos
23-09-2017, 07:51 PM

Lewis
Shinnie Tansey
Wright Christie Stewart
May.

That team won't win as we have the worst left back in Scotland. Shouldn't be anywhere near the starting 11.

Aldo1983
23-09-2017, 09:05 PM
Think I'll head down to this. Where is a good place to park? I was thinking about the tesco express not far from the ground?

You'll be lucky getting parked there. Try Lidl next to the police office. You are better parking down Airbles Road as you come off the motorway though, easier to get in and out.

1-1 Motherwell

GlezgaRed
23-09-2017, 10:55 PM
I'd go with....

Lewis
Logan AOC Arnason Shinnie
Tansey McLean
Stewart Christie Wright
May

but sadly I reckon we'll see.....
Lewis
Logan AOC Reynolds Considine
Shinnie Ball
Christie McLean GMS
May

A defeat would be worrying if it is in the same manner as Thursday, surely we'll see the team set out with an actual formation and plan that they understand.

TheRealSLYFOX
24-09-2017, 12:10 AM
You would drop a keeper who has made 1 mistake in over 60 games?
That will inspire the team yeah.
Just as well you dont pick the team.. 1 mistake? He made 3 on Thursday! And I can recall several others.

blowupsheep
24-09-2017, 03:08 AM
I happened to be down at Todders today returning a pair of socks. .

Hope you washed the socks ffs

Aldo1983
24-09-2017, 10:38 AM

Br0chred
24-09-2017, 10:42 AM
Matching up, 3/5 at the back again.
Good to see Mckenna get astart.
Who the **** is Nick Walsh ref?

rico94
24-09-2017, 10:43 AM
3 at the back I presume.Absolutely no width in the team.

vinnydesalvo
24-09-2017, 10:50 AM

A bit harsh. Just because we're lining up with four central defenders and four central midfielders doesn't mean we'll be absent on the flanks. Logan will give us plenty of width and May can head to the flank when he's dropping deep.

rico94
24-09-2017, 10:53 AM
A bit harsh. Just because we're lining up with four central defenders and four central midfielders doesn't mean we'll be absent on the flanks. Logan will give us plenty of width and May can head to the flank when he's dropping deep.

There isn't much point in May going out wide there wouldn't be anyone in the box.

eastnuekdon
24-09-2017, 10:54 AM

With that line he could be playing six across the back. Think i'lll lump some money on 0-0. He's looking to pack the defence and not concede today. As said before no width or attwcking intent in that pick.

theram1975
24-09-2017, 10:55 AM
There isn't much point in May going out wide there wouldn't be anyone in the box.

Maybe Arnason will be up front again. :D

vinnydesalvo
24-09-2017, 10:58 AM

Apart from Big Super Joe rushing up to atone for Thursday night, I guess you're right.

Pacman1903
24-09-2017, 10:58 AM
Ill go for my usual 0-0

vinnydesalvo
24-09-2017, 10:59 AM
Maybe Arnason will be up front again. :D

Pretty sure he's up top with McKenna.

InversneckieDob
24-09-2017, 11:05 AM
So......................

Three at the back with Logan and Consi pushing on or a back 4 with Kari in midfield?

Looks like we're looking to choke the midfield and let May feed off scraps.

RED_JOHN
24-09-2017, 11:10 AM
How many defenders do you need in against Motherwell?...McInnes has bottled it today!

eastnuekdon
24-09-2017, 11:10 AM
So......................

Three at the back with Logan and Consi pushing on or a back 4 with Kari in midfield?

Looks like we're looking to choke the midfield and let May feed off scraps.

Maybe 4-1-4-1 with Arni protecting the back 4??

InversneckieDob
24-09-2017, 11:13 AM
Maybe 4-1-4-1 with Arni protecting the back 4??

Aye, that's a poss, but there's effectively 4 centre mids sitting in front of Kari then.

Jaysus we've gone nae to get beat the day.

Hairdrier
24-09-2017, 11:14 AM
Interesting lineup.

:?

thebeachend
24-09-2017, 11:16 AM
Hmmm interesting choices.

InversneckieDob
24-09-2017, 11:18 AM
Fa's the minute's applause for?

thebeachend
24-09-2017, 11:24 AM
Ex player. Bert McCann.

eastnuekdon
24-09-2017, 11:34 AM
Back 4 - phew.
Not convinced by O'C in mid but McKenna/Kari does make more sense to me.

They look pretty decent together so far. Think mckenna might get a wee run in the team

mondo_notion
24-09-2017, 11:58 AM
Very impressed with McKenna, he looks like he's enjoying it out there. Defence looks settled and confident (as it should with that line up) but Stevie May isn't getting anything unfortunately.

theram1975
24-09-2017, 12:01 PM
McAllister bingo - snapping into tackles - check

He sounds like a guy who's seen about 5 Scottish matches in the last 5 years. Full of cliches and nothing very insightful

Jormungand
24-09-2017, 12:04 PM
We're nae exactly much of an attacking threat, although nice to see the defence isna crumbling whenever they get near our goal. How's Wright nae playing?

andoplzcumbak
24-09-2017, 12:08 PM
We're nae exactly much of an attacking threat, although nice to see the defence isna crumbling whenever they get near our goal. How's Wright nae playing?

I think DM would have a nose bleed with another youth on the pitch.

If anyone wants it live, it's on welovesports on Facebook.

erchieplum
24-09-2017, 12:17 PM
It's a much better performance than midweek ,and matching up to Motherwell physically is the way to start off. Arnason and McKenna making defence much more robust but generally throughout the team we are getting stuck in.We now need more flair in second half to get service into May who has had to do a thankless running task up front searching for scraps.

Hairdrier
24-09-2017, 12:28 PM
1-0 Dinna ken who
Considine !

Hairdrier
24-09-2017, 12:29 PM
Stewart on as well.

InversneckieDob
24-09-2017, 12:34 PM
Great feet fae Christie there

macattack
24-09-2017, 12:38 PM
Perfect timing by me been in work all am & got back just in time to see the goal :D

Pacman1903
24-09-2017, 12:46 PM
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas min

Hairdrier
24-09-2017, 12:53 PM
Ball on for May
Rooney on for Christie

Hairdrier
24-09-2017, 01:06 PM
Ft 1-0

macattack
24-09-2017, 01:06 PM
Yaasss doesnt make up for Thursday but good result none the less!

Landvetter83
24-09-2017, 01:07 PM
Yaaassss! Ya f@ckin' dancer!

Have that you hammer-throwing hoof-ball kunts! Looks like we can actually match fire with fire.

Big win. Well Done Reds!

EintrachtFrankfurt
24-09-2017, 01:08 PM
****ing yes! Still annoyed about Thursday night though. COYR!

Landvetter83
24-09-2017, 01:08 PM
Oh and another thing ... who scored?

Aye. Remind yourselves all you Consi bashers ... ;D

Jormungand
24-09-2017, 01:09 PM
Yaaaas! Honestly delighted by that. Well done, Dons! Special mention to young McKenna, who handled Moult superbly.

sancho_panza
24-09-2017, 01:11 PM
Not pretty, but that was probably the steadiest we've looked defensively all season and a good win in the end.

InversneckieDob
24-09-2017, 01:14 PM
Well, I was watching on an internet feed, but that looked one ugly mo-fo of a game.

What we needed though.

By the cringe Motherwell look a team of hammer throwers.
It seems that how you attain a modicum of success in Scotland these days though so we need to handle teams like that.

Young McKenna's filled out since I last saw him, and him and Kari looked solid but I wonder how much that had to do with O'Conner screening/playing the "Makelele roll" (as English pundits cry it).

Anyway, there's Scarlett Johansen wins and there's Anne Widdicombe wins and you get the same three points for baith.

Thanks very much darling, let's have a cup of coffee.

Hairdrier
24-09-2017, 01:14 PM
McKenna did well there.

Rochead
24-09-2017, 01:31 PM
Deke having a wee dig at the support there? He trusts the team, others should learn to do so.

InversneckieDob
24-09-2017, 01:33 PM
Deke having a wee dig at the support there? He trusts the team, others should learn to do so.

Probably more a dig at the pundits I'd have thought.

Rochead
24-09-2017, 01:44 PM

Maybe reading forums such as this.

sheepcrooky
24-09-2017, 02:04 PM
Well that was brutal. Definitely required after Thursday though, matched up physically and hoping for scraps round about their goal. A good three points and McKenna and Arnason played well together.

Sitting second top of the league and probably not played well yet.

RedStarTorphins
24-09-2017, 02:04 PM
- That was attritional stuff.
- Defensively much better.
- Thought Arnason & McKenna were solid
- assisted by O'Connor who played a strange "front sweeper" type role in front of them.
- Shinnie was more like his usual "ratty" self. Good to see.
- going forward we were poor.
- next week think should stick with Arnie & McKenna.
- maybe bring in a wide player though instead of Tansey or O'Connor.

bpdon
24-09-2017, 02:17 PM
- assisted by O'Connor who played a strange "front sweeper" type role in front of them.

Spot on. We had no out ball most of today - May had no success. The balls to him were either lumps forward for him to contest against bigger defenders...... or poor balls over the top/ in behind that gave him little to work with. Our progress up the pitch was often down to the endeavors of Christie and May just pressing Motherwell in to mistakes.

We need to find a way to retain today's resilience but improve on the quality in the final third.

thebeachend
24-09-2017, 02:41 PM

well we'll see soon enough. Mckenna should keep his place, lets see. Good result.

Jussi
24-09-2017, 03:43 PM
the happy clappers & I'll take it merchants, will be joyous,
anyone else with a footballing brain, will be not so impressed

Wonder what Tommy Wright was thinking in the stand there.

sonofrgmsdad
24-09-2017, 03:48 PM
Shinnie booked again. Hope he's not lining up a ban in time for the scum or Smelly games.

sonofrgmsdad
24-09-2017, 03:50 PM

Was probably thinking our only tactic is to try and bully them. If they've learned to stand up to it how am I going to stop them?

:star::star:

rico94
24-09-2017, 05:24 PM

I have to say hats off to McInnes in playing McKenna and Arnason,hopefully he sticks with them for the St Johnstone game because they will be just as physical as Motherwells front 2.

Jupiter
24-09-2017, 05:29 PM
So we won despite the tombola. That's never happened before.

WatsonNimrod
24-09-2017, 06:28 PM
anyone else with a footballing brain, will be not so impressed.

Yup although to be fair the ball was rarely on the deck and Well stuck to their game plan of not allowing anyone with an ounce of skill anytime on the ball.

Kipre was outstanding.

In terms of technical ability it was one of the worst SPL games I have ever witnessed

ragnarok
24-09-2017, 08:59 PM
anyone else with a footballing brain, will be not so impressed

I was quite chuffed with the result after Thirsday's debacle but your post has set me straight and I'm off to slit my wrists.

KIWIRED
24-09-2017, 09:13 PM
I am not Big Andy C biggest fan. I know he plays for the shirt and Aberdeen
Seems to be better upfront than at the back. Fair play to him

Great result, performance not to worried about, it was all about getting the win . Nothing more nothing less

Red_Don
24-09-2017, 09:39 PM
Missed first half hour, but from what I did see, our defence looked solid and well organised - best defensive performance in a while. Keep McKenna and Arnason from here on in please. In fact, get McKenna on long term contract, decent CH's are like hen's teeth in Scotland just now. Even the tims are struggling in that dept and I notice certain weegia tweeters are already raving about him today and his Scotland U20 performances.

Our attacking threat didn't amount to much, but we did get that all important goal. Christie's quick feet are unbelievable at times and that's what led to the goal. The M'Well defence aren't scared to mix it though and I thought their big ugly heffer of a CH was lucky to get away with a forearm to the back of Christie's neck, while another of their players got off the hook with a challenge on May that was similar to Christie's on their player on Thursday. Wonder if that will get equal scrutiny on Sportscene tonight; Doubt it.

Motherwell were and always have been a very physical(dirty) team and it never fails to amaze me when certain parts of the media describe it like this is a new aspect to their style. We played them at their own game and won, it wasn't pretty but it was what was required. Now we have a similar battle facing us with StJ next week, who last season produced the quintessential 'winning ugly' performance at Pittodrie. I hate their style and approach with a passion, they're a terrible team to watch, but hopefully we'll be street smart with them this time, especially after 2 games on the trot against silky M'Well to practice.

Special mention to the ref. Always quick to slate them but I think he did well, considering you need eyes in the back of your head for teams like M'Well.

LED
24-09-2017, 10:09 PM
Brute of a game but hopefully now the back 3 is now confined to the bin. Still think christie and Mclean can't play in the same team. But hey its 3 points and that back line against the farmers would be a start.

sancho_panza
25-09-2017, 01:58 AM
I'd expect what we're going to get from this point on is more solid lineups and relying on our creative players to create a moment or two to win the game. That's more or less exactly what happened yesterday. It's not pretty, but if you keep it tight and don't give away anything then you just need one bit of quality like we got to win. We did something similar to this a few years ago - started the season trying to be overly attacking, were shipping goals all over the place (culminating in the 3-0 loss to Hamilton), then went a bit more defensive and suddenly started stringing 1-0 and 2-0 results together.

Some people (those with a "footballing brain") will say that yesterday was a bad performance and we were lucky. I'd actually argue we're far more likely to be successful over the next run of games playing like that than we would be using the attacking lineups/woeful defending model we've been using until now.

Jussi
25-09-2017, 08:43 AM
I was quite chuffed with the result after Thirsday's debacle but your post has set me straight and I'm off to slit my wrists.

That's the bi polar nature of fans theses days, up & down like a yo-yo .