PDA

View Full Version : Scottish Fitba Books

Pacman1903
24-09-2017, 06:59 PM
Anyone read any affa good eens? Any level, juniors, Heelan, League, pretty much read every Aberdeen book looking for more on the history of our game. Also looking for a book on Third Lanark if anyone knows of any

Any suggestions appreciated

Mason89
24-09-2017, 07:24 PM
Stramash is not bad.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stramash-Tackling-Scotlands-Towns-Teams/dp/1906817669

57vintage
24-09-2017, 09:00 PM
I remember John White being killed on the golf course in 1964, and I picked up a copy of The Ghost of White Hart Lane which was pretty good. Quite emotional. Co-written by his loon who was the tiniest of tiny wee lads when White died, and Julie Welch.

There's a new Dons book at the printers and it should be available at the end of the week, from www.afcheritage.org and its eBay outlet. The club shop will probably stock it too.

Red_Don
24-09-2017, 09:45 PM
Read the Eddie Turnbull autobiography a few years back and quite enjoyed it, particularly the Aberdeen stuff - obviously.
It was quite interesting to learn about Hibs plans for world domination though, particularly around the famous 5 era. Pretty sure they were planning on something like a 70,000 capacity for Easter Road at one point. Mental!!

Pacman1903
25-09-2017, 06:23 AM
Cheers so far. I actually have Stramash in my kindle unread at the moment

InversneckieDob
25-09-2017, 06:55 AM
I just read Ally Begg's book over a couple of days, it was a decent enough read.

Read hunners doon the years but canna mind them immediately

standfreelee
25-09-2017, 07:01 AM
nae really a book but ive a nutmeg subscription. its full of scottish fitba stories, think they are calling it a periodical? recommended though...aboot all teams nae just the cheeks.

dons8321
25-09-2017, 08:08 AM
I remember John White being killed on the golf course in 1964, and I picked up a copy of The Ghost of White Hart Lane which was pretty good. Quite emotional. Co-written by his loon who was the tiniest of tiny wee lads when White died, and Julie Welch.

There's a new Dons book at the printers and it should be available at the end of the week, from www.afcheritage.org and its eBay outlet. The club shop will probably stock it too.

He was our guest speaker at our Club Dinner a few years ago - very interesting although I doubt if the majority really knew who John White was.

kigoretrout
26-09-2017, 01:46 PM
Pointless by Jeff Connor about East Stirling a really good read and very funny in parts. It also reinforced my extreme dislike of Gretna and all that garbage about it being a fairy tale club.

donsdaft
26-09-2017, 02:23 PM
This might have just been a dream because it seems unlikely but I think I might have read an autobiography by Archie McPherson which was surprisingly good.

cougared
26-09-2017, 06:46 PM
Quite a few Third Lanark books on ebay.

Pacman1903
26-09-2017, 07:46 PM
Pointless by Jeff Connor about East Stirling a really good read and very funny in parts. It also reinforced my extreme dislike of Gretna and all that garbage about it being a fairy tale club.

Bought, cheers

Pacman1903
26-09-2017, 07:47 PM
Read the Eddie Turnbull autobiography a few years back and quite enjoyed it, particularly the Aberdeen stuff - obviously.
It was quite interesting to learn about Hibs plans for world domination though, particularly around the famous 5 era. Pretty sure they were planning on something like a 70,000 capacity for Easter Road at one point. Mental!!

Bought cheers

vasilyrats86
27-09-2017, 07:26 AM
Agree with Donsdaft Archie's books nae bad

Pointless is guid

Bill McAlilster's History Of The Heilan Liga if you can still get a copy probably over 50 notes and long oot of print

A Season In Hell is right up yer boulevard as its aboot a lad who goes everywhere every Saturday in Skotlund quite witty at that time I was at uni in Febshire so made it north to such megadomes as Recreation Park, Firs Park (now gone), Cliftonhill mair like Cliftonhell and Shielfield by a lad Bennie I think came oot in 1997 worth hunting down

vasilyrats86
27-09-2017, 07:38 AM
Aye Eddie's book is a guid read as well

Eddie F**king Turnbull as SOS used to always refer to him

Pacman1903
27-09-2017, 09:09 AM

Bill McAlilster's History Of The Heilan Liga if you can still get a copy probably over 50 notes and long oot of print

Worth it

Hunting Grounds by Gary Sutherlands good to. I remember his description of Caley Thistles badge making me crack up

57vintage
27-09-2017, 09:23 AM

Pointless is guid

A Season In Hell is right up yer boulevard as its aboot a lad who goes everywhere every Saturday in Skotlund quite witty at that time I was at uni in Febshire so made it north to such megadomes as Recreation Park, Firs Park (now gone), Cliftonhill mair like Cliftonhell and Shielfield by a lad Bennie I think came oot in 1997 worth hunting down

A former poster on this here creaking outlet, who was domiciled in Edinburgh, told me that his dad came off night shift and took the dog for a walk before he went for a sleep.

In his local park, Hibs were training, and he stood beside a wee elderly mannie, in bunnet and raincoat taking an interest. Former poster's dad, having been a Dons fan shifted to the capital for work, recongnised him as Eddie Turnbull.

He asked if he was correct in his identification and Turnbull acknowledged him and was graceful in accepting ex-poster's dad's gratitude for the great times we enjoyed at Pittodrie from 65-71.

"Thank you very much son", Mr Turbull responded, and then, pointing to the squad sweating it out under the tutelage of some no-mark loser coach, heasked, "What do you think of that bunch of useless cnuts over there?"

I spent an afternoon interviewing Eddie Turnbull in the Barnton Hotel in January 1997, and it was about the three best hours of my life.

The book I mentioned last week is in from the printers, and should be available from the AFC Heritage Trust this week. Signed copies should be available from Friday, according to the author.

Disco Buc
27-09-2017, 10:52 AM
Fraser Clyne has this on offer .

https://www.amazon.com/Fraser-Clyne/e/B00698V5EC

redrowie
29-09-2017, 08:50 AM
The Roar of the Crowd: Following Scottish Football Down the Years
by David Ross
Good read with interesting pieces of football history. No weegie OF agenda.
http://amzn.eu/b6qZOEt

57vintage
01-10-2017, 08:05 PM
There should be an announcement about the new AFC Heritage Trust publication this week, I was told this afternoon.

If you like fitba books with proper non-cliched humour, Harry Pearson's The Far Corner is about the best going, especially his tussles with the boy in his local corner shop.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1225977.The_Far_Corner

Pacman1903
01-10-2017, 08:28 PM
Anyone get a signed Archie Knox book yesterday?

Pacman1903
07-10-2017, 12:45 PM
Anyone get a signed Archie Knox book yesterday?

Awesome.managed to get een

Aldo1983
07-10-2017, 01:11 PM
Awesome.managed to get een

Ken this forum is almost on its last legs but you don't need to talk to yourself Packers!

Pacman1903
07-10-2017, 02:50 PM
Ken this forum is almost on its last legs but you don't need to talk to yourself Packers!

I was just chuffed i got een

57vintage
07-10-2017, 07:36 PM
New Dons book should be in the club shop on Monday. Currently supply is limited, but the printers are promising delivery of a few hundred shortly.

It will also be available form the AFC Heritage website when supplies allow.

Pacman1903
07-10-2017, 07:37 PM
I got a Bryan Cooney book thats new out. "Stand By Your Reds"

57vintage
07-10-2017, 07:43 PM

I'll buy it as a completist, but he's hated at Pittodrie for being a back-biting **** who never hesitated to put the boot into us, like those other ****ers Scott Davie and Bill Leckie.

Mason89
07-10-2017, 07:50 PM
Scott Davie used to write some brilliant articles.

Just a shame he lifted them word for word off here from TRA

InversneckieDob
07-10-2017, 08:55 PM
I'll buy it as a completist, but he's hated at Pittodrie for being a back-biting **** who never hesitated to put the boot into us, like those other ****ers Scott Davie and Bill Leckie.

Coony did?

Never knew that.

He has an interesting take on Mark McGhee.

InversneckieDob
07-10-2017, 08:56 PM
Leckie and Davie are, of course, scum.

Pacman1903
07-10-2017, 09:27 PM

Never knew that

Mason89
07-10-2017, 09:41 PM
Leckie and Davie are, of course, scum.

Leckies book on Scottish football was alright. Obviously he’s a Dons hating sh1tehawk but he’s no fan of the OF either. In the tiny world of Scottish football journalism, that’s to be applauded

Pacman1903
07-10-2017, 09:46 PM
Leckies book on Scottish football was alright. Obviously he’s a Dons hating sh1tehawk but he’s no fan of the OF either. In the tiny world of Scottish football journalism, that’s to be applauded

I read Leckies book while attempting to get to Schehallion a few years back around christmas time as i got it for christmas (failed to get there). It was not a typical sycophantic mould firm love in

57vintage
08-10-2017, 08:31 AM
Coony did?

Never knew that.

He has an interesting take on Mark McGhee.

I believe that he and the manager before our current one were good friends and this has cooled considerably since that individual parked his arse in the (cliché time) Pittodrie hot seat.

InversneckieDob
08-10-2017, 09:40 AM
I believe that he and the manager before our current one were good friends and this has cooled considerably since that individual parked his arse in the (cliché time) Pittodrie hot seat.

Ah, Hokay.

The ByTheMinute crew had Cooney on their most recent podcast, decent listen......the boy's sank a few in his day by the sounds.

57vintage
08-10-2017, 06:31 PM
http://www.afcheritage.org/news/news_story.cfm?news_id=7265&newstype=Heritage

Pacman1903
14-11-2017, 07:48 AM
http://i65.tinypic.com/w9fuag.png

Being the completest Vintage have you got Pac Jnrs favourite book in the collection

Anyway away to start Eddie Turnbull today

57vintage
14-11-2017, 08:55 AM
http://i65.tinypic.com/w9fuag.png

Being the completest Vintage have you got Pac Jnrs favourite book in the collection

Anyway away to start Eddie Turnbull today

No, I've given that a miss.

I bought the Cooney book on Saturday and read it on Saturday night.

Interesting, but for a boy who was a writer, sub and editor, and for it to be professionally printed by Luath, it's riddled with errors and some howlers of sub-editing gaffes. It got ****ing annoying reading that Ebbe transferred Eoin Jess to Coventry and that Ally Shewan came from 'Cummingston', and seeing sub's comments like "Dons' not Dons" left in, making a mockery of the sentence of which they were part. That's fanzine oir forum stuff, nae what should be expected from a book that people will put on their shelves at the cost of 15 quid.

Numbers On The Front (the Washington Whips book) seems now to have been delivered in erm...numbers to allow copies to be had freely, but nae free, of course.

Pacman1903
14-11-2017, 09:04 AM
No, I've given that a miss.

I bought the Cooney book on Saturday and read it on Saturday night.

Interesting, but for a boy who was a writer, sub and editor, and for it to be professionally printed by Luath, it's riddled with errors and some howlers of sub-editing gaffes. It got ****ing annoying reading that Ebbe transferred Eoin Jess to Coventry and that Ally Shewan came from 'Cummingston', and seeing sub's comments like "Dons' not Dons" left in, making a mockery of the sentence of which they were part. That's fanzine oir forum stuff, nae what should be expected from a book that people will put on their shelves at the cost of 15 quid.

Numbers On The Front (the Washington Whips book) seems now to have been delivered in erm...numbers to allow copies to be had freely, but nae free, of course.

Call yourself a completest

Ill get my ma to get me "Numbers on the Front" for Christmas

sheepcrooky
24-11-2017, 06:00 PM

Just got that for my birthday. Away to Siberia next week, I’ll give it a read then.

57vintage
07-12-2021, 10:49 AM
I finished The Ghosts Of Cathkin Park the day after Aberdeen City Council’s magnificent Library Service sourced it for me. Despite a couple of glaring errors (neither goal difference nor yellow/red cards were in use before Third Lanark went paps up), the boy’s done a good job. He puts capitalist criminality (there’s a tautology for you) under the microscope and shows how it killed one if Scotland’s five oldest clubs. In plain sight.
At my first cup final on April 29, 1967, my uncle parked the Ford Anglia at Cathkin Park. It looked like a fine ground of the time. When 126,101 others and I left Hampden at full-time, the Evening Times was on sale, its headline confirming Thirds’ financial collapse. The site is still kept as green space despite various attempts to concrete over it. Last time I was there was when it was used as a bus park when Scotland (pre-Fanny Army days) played Wales in a 1976 World Cup qualifier. I’ll be in the area at the end of the week, and may take the local Border Terriers round to the site, armed with poop bags, naturally, which I may launch at the SFA offices at Hampden by taking a short detour.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/51374273

donsdaft
07-12-2021, 11:05 AM
Being a fair bit younger than you I don't actually remember Third Lanark but I do remember my father coming back from that 1967 final and the first time I had heard the word "defunct"

Making my way on foot to Hampden a fair few years later I realised I was walking on old terracing, it was of course Cathkin Park.

If only someone was saying the same about Ibrox.

57vintage
07-12-2021, 12:04 PM
The book also reveals the change to some sort of tedious, boring, dull, sleep-inducing financial law - the Insolvency Act updated by the Enterprise Act 2002, to wit - which introduced the creditor-swicking administration option for businesses where the financial erse has dropped out, which would have saved Third Lanark.

“Thir**** Scottish clubs have been restructured (or if you prefer, resurrected) in this way. Queen’s Park was the first to do so in December 2000. In 2002, Motherwell became the first club to go into administration whilst in the top flight. Livingston and Dundee share the ignominious distinction of having gone through the process twice. Of those thir**** clubs, only three have failed to stay in business. Airdrieonians were dissolved in May 2002. Two months later, the club became Airdrie United, reborn from the ashes of Clydebank FC. Gretna, meanwhile, was dissolved in August 2007. Rangers could have suffered a similar fate in 2012 had the club’s assets - and *****ly its SFA membership - not been purchased out of administration by Sevco Scotland Ltd.”

TheDeeDon
14-12-2021, 01:20 PM
I finished The Ghosts Of Cathkin Park the day after Aberdeen City Council’s magnificent Library Service sourced it for me. Despite a couple of glaring errors (neither goal difference nor yellow/red cards were in use before Third Lanark went paps up), the boy’s done a good job. He puts capitalist criminality (there’s a tautology for you) under the microscope and shows how it killed one if Scotland’s five oldest clubs. In plain sight.
At my first cup final on April 29, 1967, my uncle parked the Ford Anglia at Cathkin Park. It looked like a fine ground of the time. When 126,101 others and I left Hampden at full-time, the Evening Times was on sale, its headline confirming Thirds’ financial collapse. The site is still kept as green space despite various attempts to concrete over it. Last time I was there was when it was used as a bus park when Scotland (pre-Fanny Army days) played Wales in a 1976 World Cup qualifier. I’ll be in the area at the end of the week, and may take the local Border Terriers round to the site, armed with poop bags, naturally, which I may launch at the SFA offices at Hampden by taking a short detour.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/51374273

I got it oot the Library at the weekend, a well written book about a team that were gone well before I was born, so I had known only a little about them, but it was a story worth reading.

As much as I detested Milne, I don't think even he resorted to painted match balls after a game to avoid buying new ones, but then again I am sure he would be kicking himself, if he came across this information whilst still our Chairman. Their Chairman Hiddlestone, came across as a complete cnut.

On the parts where we read about what was happening elsewhere in our game during the 60s, it was funny coming across a bit told us that Rangers were linked with Eusebio as their manager, which just goes to show they were deluded cnuts back then in what were much more simple times. Killie reaching the semi of the Fairs cup I didn't know and was a fair surprise, but different times.

57vintage
14-12-2021, 01:55 PM
Leeds played in the Fairs Cup final against Killie’s conquerors (one of the Belgrades??), but if I recall correctly the final was delayed until the following season. Glad you enjoyed the book. The thought of players being paid in coinage handed over at the turnstiles is hilarious yet shocking.

57vintage
14-12-2021, 02:08 PM
Dinamo Zagreb beat Killie, then Leeds in the final, at the start of the following season.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1967_Inter-Cities_Fairs_Cup_Final

TheDeeDon
10-01-2022, 07:52 PM
The Lost Shankly Boy - George Scott

Picked this up at the Library at the weekend because when having a read through it there was a picture of a house in Torry and being a Torry loon it got me interested.

It is a about a player called George Scott, who older forum members may remember from his brief time at Pittodrie around the 65-66 season, who we signed from Liverpool, where he played for for five years, but he never made the first team, to be fair he had a fair bit of competition and was only 15 when he fwent down. Injury saw him leave us after a short while and he only played a few games for us, I had never heard of him before.

Most of the book is about Liverpool though, but I like reading about the Shankly era even though I can't really abide the club.

A very easy read, but most stories are about Shankly, many of them we have heard before over the years, but it was nice to read about someone from Torry who nearly made it in the world of football and there are some parts about Aberdeen the City and the club.

I found by reading it that an old player of ours Harry Yorston gave up his Aberdeen career to become a fish market porter! I had to read that a few times and apparently it is true.

57vintage
10-01-2022, 09:12 PM
The Yorston story’s well-known. He also won a bit of dosh on his fitba coupon (treble chance, probably) in the early 70s.

Mason89
10-01-2022, 09:18 PM
Good friend & Hearts Hall of Famer Drew Busby (P178 Medals 0) scored the last ever goal for Third Lanark

Just in case it ever pops up in a pub quiz

57vintage
10-01-2022, 09:52 PM
Good friend & Hearts Hall of Famer Drew Busby (P178 Medals 0) scored the last ever goal for Third Lanark

It’s in the Third Lanark book mentioned above. It might even have been at Boghead?

Mason89
11-01-2022, 06:55 AM
It’s in the Third Lanark book mentioned above. It might even have been at Boghead?

Yeah, they got humped 5-1 at Boghead. Drew took targeted abuse, being from Alexandria & still nurtures a hatred for The Sons that lasts to this day.

InversneckieDob
11-01-2022, 08:46 AM

I actually knew that.
No idea how or why I had that nugget of info in my head, but it was lurking there.

He and Drew Jarvie then formed a lethal partnership up front for Airdrie before going their separate ways.

Mason89
11-01-2022, 01:02 PM
I actually knew that.
No idea how or why I had that nugget of info in my head, but it was lurking there.

He and Drew Jarvie then formed a lethal partnership up front for Airdrie before going their separate ways.

They’re both still quite pally. The Hearts hall of famer (2 relegations 0 medals) speaks very fondly of the Aberdeen team from the 70s. Said that the classiest player he ever played against was Martin Buchan, Henning Boel was the hardest & Zoltan Varga was the most skilful.

Funnily enough, the one player he didn’t rate so much was a certain W. Miller

donsdaft
11-01-2022, 02:32 PM
Would he have played much against Miller?

A very young Miller perhaps.

It was a very good team in the early seventies.
Very good indeed.

57vintage
11-01-2022, 02:39 PM
Would he have played much against Miller?

A very young Miller perhaps.

It was a very good team in the early seventies.
Very good indeed.

He played for the Argos Huns until 79. Willie was already at his best by then, but Hearts weren’t in the top division in 77/78, and 79/80.

Edit: the 70/71 squad is about my most favourite ever. I constantly wonder how they’d have competed had they been the 84 squad (nowithstanding that Davie Robb would have been in his 40s by then).

Mason89
11-01-2022, 02:46 PM
He reckoned if you played two through the middle up front, Miller was f*cked. He likes to mention one game at Pittodrie where they scored from the start, doing just that. I’m not old enough to argue individual performances but I often point to Millers medal collection.

57vintage
11-01-2022, 02:56 PM
He reckoned if you played two through the middle up front, Miller was f*cked. He likes to mention one game at Pittodrie where they scored from the start, doing just that. I’m not old enough to argue individual performances but I often
point to Millers medal collection.

The only home defeat I can remember by those losers at that time was the one Busby refers to, when Dennis McQuade scored a late winner from waaay out in a 1-2 defeat for us. We kicked their manky arses that day, couldn’t get the ball in the net.

It wasn’t us who were relegated that season, incidentally.

http://www.afcheritage.org/matches/fixtures/mreport.cfm?fixture_id=3335&season=1978-79&squad=Senior

InversneckieDob
12-01-2022, 07:01 AM
Aye, remember that game.
I recall they scored early we "dominated possession" (to lapse into w@nky modern parlance) and equalised second half.
Looked a shoe in for the win until the former Harry Wragg pinged in a worldie into the Beach End from about Ardarroch Place.
Leighton was in the goal and I mind him looking affa p1ssed off afterwards.
Or a meringue?

57vintage
12-01-2022, 07:50 AM
Aye, remember that game.
I recall they scored early we "dominated possession" (to lapse into w@nky modern parlance) and equalised second half.
Looked a shoe in for the win until the former Harry Wragg pinged in a worldie into the Beach End from about Ardarroch Place.
Leighton was in the goal and I mind him looking affa p1ssed off afterwards.
Or a meringue?

That’s pretty much it.

I’m sure the memory kept them warm and was a comfort during their stay in the boondocks of a lower tier, through future relegations/administration, and in the hours of 3 -10 May 1986 (inclusive).

Mason89
12-01-2022, 08:42 AM
It was Leighton letting in a long range effort that made me chuck supporting Scotland. 1-1 at home to Norway, we’d just qualified for the World Cup & the fans leaving Hamish were complaining about the useless sheep shagger in goals.

F*ck off Hamish

krakowdon
12-01-2022, 10:05 AM
It was Leighton letting in a long range effort that made me chuck supporting Scotland. 1-1 at home to Norway, we’d just qualified for the World Cup & the fans leaving Hamish were complaining about the useless sheep shagger in goals.

F*ck off Hamish

That was the game in which WM suffered the injury that ultimately finished him. Dirty Noggy *****

Mason89
12-01-2022, 10:51 AM
That was the game in which WM suffered the injury that ultimately finished him. Dirty Noggy *****

I always thought it was the away fixture in Norway when he got that injury.

Why has my phone changed Hapmden to Hamish? You spend all year not posting about a Hamish, then two appear at once

57vintage
27-04-2022, 10:30 AM
I’ll infringe the parochial thread title to introduce a fitba book that isn’t ‘Scottish’. In the latest issue of the magnificent Strong Words, ‘Your Show’ by Ashley Hickson-Lovence is reviewed. It’s “an original take on what drives the whistle-blower” in “a novelised second-person impression of the life of Uriah Rennie, Britain’s only ever top-flight black referee, who reffed in the Prem from 1997 to 2009”. Sounds like an interesting take. I’ll request it now from the City Library Service as an insurance against any post local election political ****ing around with this essential service.

Strong Words is far more approachable than TLS or LRB, and I’m on my third year of subscription.
Details here: http://www.strong-words.co.uk/
or e-mail Ed Needham, the man who reads and reviews everything that makes up the contents. He’ll even send you a complimentary trial copy.
info@strong-words.co.uk

TheDeeDon
24-10-2022, 12:46 PM
Bloody Casuals - Jay Allan

Picked this up in the Library on Saturday, had never seen it amongst the local books before so took it out and gave it a read.

I am sure some on here know fare more about the casuals than I ever did and also assume that some on here that had first hand experience of this. I was/am very much a 'scarfer' and a tad too young for this era. My lack of sartorial awareness would have stopped me being one anyway even if I didn't have a yellow stripe down my back and could fight my way out of a wet paper bag.

Never going to trouble the prizes in the literature awards, but I found it a decent account of a much simpler time. Although the casuals were the reason my Ma wouldn't let me go to the fitba as a kid in the 80s.

The only time I ever came across the casuals were during fights in Guild street whilst waiting for the bus hame with my Ma after being dragged shopping when I was a kid and I would be ****ting myself. I once seen a Jute running over Guild street away from Aberdeen casuals only for him to be knocked down by a car. I remember him picking himself up and trying to get into the saftey of the train station and him being clearly hurt to my 10 year old eyes.

The most surprising thing was reading one or two things I had heard over the years from people I knew or worked with and put it down to them speaking shyte only to read some of these in a book and to see their 'names' in it.

Must have been one of the first books about the subject of football violence, a genre which was very popular in the 90s.

sbswred
24-10-2022, 05:58 PM
Vain Games of No Value? -- an epic tome on the social history of the game. It has wider scope than just Scotland, but the chapters on Scottish football are interesting nonetheless and of course there's a fair amount of Scottish influence throughout. Goes into some depth on things like association rules, clubs, professionalism, wartime, women's game, pools, Sunday football, wage caps, etc. Not a quick read and at times not a page-turner, but I found it engaging and insightful all the same

TheDeeDon
11-02-2023, 05:03 PM
Picked up in a charity shop today. Jack Webster- The History of AFC, from 1978 and from 1987 - The Aberdeen Football Companion by Clive Leatherdale.

Looking forward to reading both of these.

Jupiter
11-02-2023, 07:09 PM
I see Pacman has got a book out.

InversneckieDob
11-02-2023, 10:01 PM
Picked up in a charity shop today. Jack Webster- The History of AFC, from 1978 and from 1987 - The Aberdeen Football Companion by Clive Leatherdale.

Looking forward to reading both of these.

The Jack Webster book is ace.

57vintage
11-02-2023, 10:05 PM

Willie Miller borrowed my original 1978 hardback copy around 1981,
and it was never returned. I got the re-mix which was updated around 85.

TheDeeDon
12-02-2023, 08:31 AM
Willie Miller borrowed my original 1978 hardback copy around 1981,
and it was never returned. I got the re-mix which was updated around 85.
I assume you mean God when you say Willie Miller borrowed it?
If so, how did that happen if you don't mind me asking.

57vintage
12-02-2023, 09:18 AM
I assume you mean God when you say Willie Miller borrowed it?
If so, how did that happen if you don't mind me asking.

Aye, the self-same. I had a flat in Orchard Street at the time, and Willie lived roon the corner at 489 King St.

The wifie across the road from us who had befriended The Spouse looked after their nipper (Victoria?) when 6 and Mrs 6 were oot, and I think that The Best Penalty Box Defender In The Known Cosmos had mentioned it and I told her he could borrow my copy.

Nae only can he nae fry fash, he’d be a shïte librarian.

TheDeeDon
12-02-2023, 12:04 PM
Aye, the self-same. I had a flat in Orchard Street at the time, and Willie lived roon the corner at 489 King St.

The wifie across the road from us who had befriended The Spouse looked after their nipper (Victoria?) when 6 and Mrs 6 were oot, and I think that The Best Penalty Box Defender In The Known Cosmos had mentioned it and I told her he could borrow my copy.

Nae only can he nae fry fash, he’d be a shïte librarian.

:D

TheDeeDon
12-02-2023, 12:05 PM
I see Pacman has got a book out.
Where you seeing this?

Good on him though.

InversneckieDob
12-02-2023, 02:08 PM
Where you seeing this?

Good on him though.
He always said he was going to write one.

I remember a bit on the BBC website about his travels.

Mason89
12-02-2023, 04:39 PM
Link if anyone wants to buy one

https://twitter.com/gilesgraeme/status/1623780607179337731?s=46&t=feaeyPiCYPeU9W0jNrUY9Q

TheDeeDon
12-02-2023, 05:04 PM

https://twitter.com/gilesgraeme/status/1623780607179337731?s=46&t=feaeyPiCYPeU9W0jNrUY9Q

Thanks for posting Mason.

I think I'll give it a go.

TheDeeDon
10-03-2023, 02:15 PM

Isn't it just.

Read it today on a day off and boy did he do the club proud in their 75th year.

I'm pretty ignorant with our early history, but Webster made the story of 1903 to 1978, come to life in an enjoyable way through his writings.

Loved that chapter about our old scout Bobby Calder, in particular.

TheDeeDon
19-02-2024, 07:56 AM
John McMasters books was read last night.

A strange book if being honest as it tells of his life and fitba career, mainly the dons and all good, but then goes off into the realms of business speak and how motivation from the game is used in business, which is not really my thing.

Needed a better proofreader too. Some glaring errors scattered throughout.

vasilyrats86
19-02-2024, 07:52 PM

Great read from Pacmannie get in quick noo many left I think

TheDeeDon
01-03-2024, 01:08 PM
Got a cracking book out of the Library last weekend called 'Lifted Over The Turnstiles', which is about Scottish fitba grounds, old and new.

A few of cracking pictures of Pittodrie in it too, including one of Hibs game with over 40k squeezed in with folk sitting up on the roof of the Merkland. I can't even begin to get my head around all those folk turning up for an Aberdeen game and I know that was not even our record crowd. There is also another with a hell of a lot of car park spaces next to it.

Most grounds are covered in it and some good stories to be found at most grounds. A couple of pictures of East End Park in the late 60s, where after a huge Celtic support entered all the crush barries had simply gave way to the pressure and had been buckled out of shape. Which seems to have been a regular occurrence back then.

A story in the Arbroath section that Rangers complained the Arbroath pitch was not quite the right size after Arbroath had beat them in the cup, with the lichties getting kicked out. Me thinks the scum wouldn't have complained if they had won the game.

dons8321
02-03-2024, 10:57 AM
Got a cracking book out of the Library last weekend called 'Lifted Over The Turnstiles', which is about Scottish fitba grounds, old and new.

A few of cracking pictures of Pittodrie in it too, including one of Hibs game with over 40k squeezed in with folk sitting up on the roof of the Merkland. I can't even begin to get my head around all those folk turning up for an Aberdeen game and I know that was not even our record crowd. There is also another with a hell of a lot of car park spaces next to it.

Most grounds are covered in it and some good stories to be found at most grounds. A couple of pictures of East End Park in the late 60s, where after a huge Celtic support entered all the crush barries had simply gave way to the pressure and had been buckled out of shape. Which seems to have been a regular occurrence back then.

A story in the Arbroath section that Rangers complained the Arbroath pitch was not quite the right size after Arbroath had beat them in the cup, with the lichties getting kicked out. Me thinks the scum wouldn't have complained if they had won the game.

I remember being at that Hibs game in '67 - a cup replay on a Wednesday night and it was pay at the gate! Must have been at the ground around 6pm for a (proper) KO time of 7:30.

GASC1980
03-03-2024, 10:32 PM
John McMasters books was read last night.

A strange book if being honest as it tells of his life and fitba career, mainly the dons and all good, but then goes off into the realms of business speak and how motivation from the game is used in business, which is not really my thing.

Needed a better proofreader too. Some glaring errors scattered throughout.

After speaking to him yesterday prematch I think i'll give his book a miss. He was signing copies of it yesterday in hospitality and trying to plug it. He chatted away with us for a while and laid out his medals on our table in a 4,4,2 formation. :)