PDA

View Full Version : Realistic Expectations for this season?

Rev72
26-09-2017, 09:03 PM
10 games in..what yer thinking folks?

Rev72
26-09-2017, 09:30 PM
Top 6 Rev :P

CLIVETHELEEDSFAN
26-09-2017, 10:12 PM
Weve lost against 2 sides who we don’t normally do well against anyway, we still have the best goal difference in the league, still in auto promo positions, and will still be top 6 even if the teams with a game in hand win them, considering all the changes at the club from top to bottom, still a very good start, after this Sunday it’s a quarter of the season played, and it’s a damn better start than last season whatever happens, im happy up to now, I still think top 2 is on for us, no runaway team at this stage, and on paper, no team with the spending power that some had last season

spaldy
27-09-2017, 02:24 PM
Automatic promotion.

Lasogga's better than Wood. we are better at Midfield than last year and our backs are comparable (excluding yesterday). we are deeper than most of the championship.

we are going to struggle with physical teams. that cat's pretty much out of the bag after Millwall. I think TC can make an adjustment. It's not like Jannson, Lasogga, Grot or Ayling are cupcakes. I think TC got caught off guard in the physical nature of English Football at this level.

Once he adjusts we'll be as good as anyone.

george_kaplan
27-09-2017, 03:48 PM
Our aim and it's no secret is top six, that's where the bar is set. Me being a realistic LEEDS fan as always will say auto as I do every season! That's my expectations till I pop em. :)

Ten games in I'd say this league is staying true to form....

Rev72
27-09-2017, 03:59 PM
Pretty much what I think George..always wishing/hoping/expecting us to get auto ;D

And 10 games in..2nd place ain't bad is it..but the 2 games we lost have hurt a bit. :(

Acido
27-09-2017, 04:30 PM
What do you lot think about Wolves at the moment, they were very lucky to beat us at the weekend and they didnt look anything like a top 2/3 side. And Cardiff are another surprise team these days, who would have expected them and Colin W*nker to be doing so well.

george_kaplan
27-09-2017, 05:03 PM
We all know the score down here. Wasn't Newcastle at the lower end the first five or six games in last season? Hard work and consistency is the answer, I think when burnley went up is a great example. Bunch of players no one had hardly heard of but did the business. If our guy can drum that into them we've got a chance. Early days Acido to make calls......roll the dice!

BenidormBlanco
27-09-2017, 05:35 PM
what about this scenario, titles are not won after 10 games, so many new players the opposition haven't had chance to do their homework, a few games in and they are being found out, teams will know how to play against us and we have a soft underbelly, TC is a one trick pony and has been found out.Mid table finish as usual, and that will make some on here delirious with joy.

Me though? cant see us finishing outside the top 1.

norfolk white
27-09-2017, 06:06 PM
Play our strongest eleven each week and stop tinkering, top 6 then.

leedsutdman
27-09-2017, 06:15 PM
Enjoy the ride, we're doing alright. We lose a few here and there let's move on to the next game.

WTF11
27-09-2017, 06:21 PM
Play our strongest eleven each week and stop tinkering, top 6 then.

joellufcprice
27-09-2017, 08:34 PM
Top 2 if we sign a goalkeeper and a proper quality centre back in January, Top 6 if we don't.

Rev72
27-09-2017, 11:20 PM
what about this scenario, titles are not won after 10 games, so many new players the opposition haven't had chance to do their homework, a few games in and they are being found out, teams will know how to play against us and we have a soft underbelly, TC is a one trick pony and has been found out.Mid table finish as usual, and that will make some on here delirious with joy.

Me though? cant see us finishing outside the top 1.

Do I detect just a 'hint' of sarcasm in your post BB :O

BenidormBlanco
28-09-2017, 07:30 AM
all apart from top 1 Rev, im deadly serious about that part...Champions elect!

Rev72
28-09-2017, 03:20 PM
Just wanted to gauge the feeling after 10 games..thanks to all of you that gave their opinion :)

Tend to agree with joel..a better keeper (why the f*ck did we let green go :? ) and another quality CB and we ain't too far off the top of the tree..interesting to see where we are come xmas time and what business we do in the Jan TW.

Oooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh..int it exciting :D

exilecanada
28-09-2017, 04:23 PM
Hard work and consistency is the answer, I think when Burnley went up is a great example. Bunch of players no one had hardly heard of but did the business.

Born and bred Burnley fan here.

Good point, however you’re missing one very important factor, we happen to have arguably the best manager in the PL, Sean Dyche. The man has performed miracles ever since he stepped in the door at Turf Moor, that’s a fact.

Footnote: Our “Mickey Mouse Cup” loss to you lot was a non-event, we have bigger fish to fry.

leedsutdman
28-09-2017, 04:27 PM
Born and bred Burnley fan here.

Good point, however you’re missing one very important factor, we happen to have arguably the best manager in the PL, Sean Dyche. The man has performed miracles ever since he stepped in the door at Turf Moor, that’s a fact.

Footnote: Our “Mickey Mouse Cup” loss to you lot was a non-event, we have bigger fish to fry.

It's still hurting isn't it....😂😂😂

Rev72
28-09-2017, 04:51 PM
Born and inbred Burnley fan here.

If it was such a non event why keep reminding us about it :D

As for Dyche..fair play to him for winning your annual relegation battles..be another good achievement if he wins this seasons as well.

You lot are certainly living the dream aren't ya :)

MrsORichSenior
28-09-2017, 05:42 PM
A full ER for our home games now will be crucial as all our home games soon coming up have 'toughies' etched on 'em - Blades followed by Derby, Boro, Villa, Budgies & Hull So IF we're still in the auto slots around Christmas and New Year we'll have done well ................... for sure and a full squad is going to be needed as 'yellows' no doubt will get picked up.
MOT

Silentman
28-09-2017, 06:05 PM
still not sure to be honest, I think the next few games will tell whether a) we've been found out now and b) if we have whether TC can get the squad to adapt to changing tactics. Optimistic that we'll be top 6.

Ozwhites
28-09-2017, 06:15 PM
A full ER for our home games now will be crucial as all our home games soon coming up have 'toughies' etched on 'em - Blades followed by Derby, Boro, Villa, Budgies & Hull So IF we're still in the auto slots around Christmas and New Year we'll have done well ................... for sure and a full squad is going to be needed as 'yellows' no doubt will get picked up.
MOT

Yes with the tough games we've had over the last few weeks against sides around the top 6...and now the run of home games that Mrs O has highlighted...you just can't imagine any club(s) running away from the rest of the field on the ladder. So many can knock each other off. Won't be surprised if only half a dozen points is all that separates the top 6 to 8 clubs at the end. A real scrap every week the way it looks on paper!

exilecanada
28-09-2017, 07:29 PM
As for Dyche..fair play to him for winning your annual relegation battles..be another good achievement if he wins this seasons as well.

I’ll not be the first to admit it’s an annual relegation battle for us, will be for the foreseeable future, which adds credence to what an amazing job Dyche, along with a supportive board, have done for our little club. The rich clubs continue to get richer and clubs such as us struggle to unearth talent for relatively little money. Burnley are well run club, run as a business as opposed to a ‘play toy’ for some filthy rich foreigner. That’s not a knock against you lot, just a general observation.

Yes, we are living the dream, although Dyche will leave eventually, not sure where though, probably not a top end club….he’s English. Maybe the England job?

Another footnote: You lot also had a magician at the helm, Don Revie changing the kit to all white to emulate Real Madrid was a master stroke. We can’t forgive “Butcher Hunter” for crippling Frank Casper though!!

Peace.

BelfastAndy
28-09-2017, 07:54 PM
Play-offs

OldWhiteTaff
28-09-2017, 09:50 PM
I dunno, I'll be gutted if we fade now, so much expectation after the glorious football we've played at times over the first six games, culminating in the Burton 5-0. But since then it's been at best scratchy (Birmingham, Ipswich), disappointing (Cardiff) and ferkin terrible (Millwall). What I desperately want to see on Sunday is an away performance like Forest and Sunderland, where we look strong and controlled and incisive again. Too many times in the last four games we've lacked precision, chosen the wrong option, lost the second ball challenges, and worst of all looked a bit fragile at the back. And on top of that TC has made some strange selection decisions (e.g. for Cardiff, Klich ahead of Vieira, Alioski ahead of Saiz).

So I know I'll be shot down for being negative and a doom merchant but I desperately want to see some evidence on Saturday that the last four games has been the blip, and that the first six was the norm, and not the other way round............

CLIVETHELEEDSFAN
28-09-2017, 10:59 PM
Why what's happening Saturday?

fredlufc74
29-09-2017, 02:59 AM
I think we have got a squad that can finish in the top six.

Can't believe though how many negative things I have read across the internet after only losing 2 games out of the 10 we have played in the league. Keep reading "that we have been found out". Both those losses have been away from home against teams we don't fair well against.

We are playing in one of the hardest leagues going, we haven't spent a fortune and in my eyes the club is going in the right direction. Minimum expectation was play-offs from the owner and as long as we get there then I see no problems as he has only just started to build the club up after a very short period in charge.

OldWhiteTaff
29-09-2017, 11:24 AM
Why what's happening Saturday?

obviously meant Sunday, too ferkin late at night, not paying attention (and as I'd put earlier in the post "What I desperately want to see on Sunday".....................)

MrsORichSenior
29-09-2017, 11:35 AM
Psychologically Saturday is important too points wise -Wolves,Preston,Ipswich & Blunts results come into play before we kick off on Sunday.
MOT

Acido
29-09-2017, 12:27 PM
Burnley are well run club, run as a business as opposed to a ‘play toy’ for some filthy rich foreigner. That’s not a knock against you lot, just a general observation. Yes, we are living the dream, although Dyche will leave eventually, not sure where though, probably not a top end club….he’s English. Maybe the England job?
Another footnote: You lot also had a magician at the helm, Don Revie changing the kit to all white to emulate Real Madrid was a master stroke. We can’t forgive “Butcher Hunter” for crippling Frank Casper though!!.

I dont mind you Burnsley lot actually, and by the way we are also in the middle of possible takeover talks with a 'filthy rich foreigner'. (as you call them) :O
And come on, will you stop keep bringing up that tackle which our Norman did to one of your players. The fact that he could have been a butcher rather than a footballer is just pure co-incidence lol.

alfinyalcabo
29-09-2017, 02:09 PM
If it was such a non event why keep reminding us about it :D

Yes we are Rev,maybe your lot will be waking up from the long nightmare you have been having over the last few years this season ,or maybe not :)

Rev72
29-09-2017, 07:07 PM
Yes we are Rev,maybe your lot will be waking up from the long nightmare you have been having over the last few years this season ,or maybe not :)

Jezleeds
29-09-2017, 10:13 PM
If TC toughens up the defence/midfield and sorts out the/a goalkeeper, there's no reason why we can't get automatic. The trouble is with these last three games that 3 games is a lot of time in the Championship if you don't sort things out that are going wrong - or right - look at Villa - suddenly just a few points behind us.

There are a lot of common things that have gone wrong v Millwall, Ipswich (it was a scraped win if we're honest) and Cardiff. If we put them right asap we will be in good shape going forward (literally and metaphorically) and hopefully at the back too. The test of TC is going to be that ability to take on lessons quickly and adapt.

Acido
29-09-2017, 10:20 PM
Another footnote: You lot also had a magician at the helm, Don Revie changing the kit to all white to emulate Real Madrid was a master stroke. We can’t forgive “Butcher Hunter” for crippling Frank Casper though!!

Heres our Norm in a Tykes tribute video. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-VnWv-uKso&t=61s

CLIVETHELEEDSFAN
29-09-2017, 10:26 PM
What would you folk say is our best 11? Most will agree with a few players, lasogga upfront, saiz as one of the front 3 behind him, jansson at cb, but the rest may vary, we have some quality depth in many positions now

george_kaplan
29-09-2017, 11:17 PM
Heres our Norm in a Tykes tribute video. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-VnWv-uKso&t=61s

"You can go out and beat anyone, what's the point in playing if you don't believe that"

Well put Norman...100% agreed.

Acido
29-09-2017, 11:25 PM
"You can go out and beat anyone, what's the point in playing if you don't believe that".
Well put Norman...100% agreed.

Hey Georgie K, Im glad you liked my video of our Norman. :P
But remember Im talking about the red version of Norm and Clarkie, rather than the white version lol.

george_kaplan
29-09-2017, 11:33 PM
The r*d washes off mate.......the white runs through their veins! :)

Acido
29-09-2017, 11:48 PM
Hey George, as an England fan I wish we had the quality players like Norm & Clarkie in the squad these days.
Mick McCarthy for example, picked both of them in his all time select team. He chose Norm along with David O'Leary at the back, and he chose Clarkie to pair up with Frank Stapleton up front!.

alfinyalcabo
30-09-2017, 09:08 AM
I refuse to comment about Norman Hunter.. The dirty Phookin Bastid cont :D

CalverleyBoy
01-10-2017, 10:12 AM
Psychologically Saturday is important too points wise -Wolves,Preston,Ipswich & Blunts results come into play before we kick off on Sunday.
MOT

Wolves aside yesterdays results were not too bad for us, just shows how this league works, Barnsley beat Millwall at the den FFS, Shef U lose and Bristol who sneak into 4th spot beat Ipswich away. The K ender also went back to form losing to Sland, I guess the presence of Grayson worried one or two of their players.

A win today puts us right back at in auto land - a loss and we are in a tight pack of playoff hopefuls with lots of contenders waiting to get in.

Acido
01-10-2017, 11:38 AM
What do you mean Calvo the Bradford kid, when you say 'Barnsley FFS' !! :O
We actually outplayed Wolves last week and should have won there at Molinoo, and we do have a good recent record against Millwall.
I see Larry sneaked at point on his return to the Preston Nobbers. And despite their good start to the season I think Ipswich are in a lucky false position.