PDA

View Full Version : Nick Pope..?

The Bedlington Terrier
03-10-2017, 02:35 AM
The highest compliment I can pay the lad is that we are not missing Tom Heaton.

exilecanada
03-10-2017, 02:51 AM
For the most part I’ll agree with you, the lads doing well. However I’ve noticed he has had some trouble hanging on to the ball after making a low save, resulting in a rebound. So far there’s always been a Burnley defender around for cover.

blueheeler1
03-10-2017, 05:15 AM
For the most part I’ll agree with you, the lads doing well. However I’ve noticed he has had some trouble hanging on to the ball after making a low save, resulting in a rebound. So far there’s always been a Burnley defender around for cover.

Doing very well is the lad.

Another player who has now increased his value on the transfer market for us--should we eventually sell.

Young, getting good Prem experience and being well supported by a sound defence.

Will only improve.

oldcolner
03-10-2017, 07:45 AM
He has some kick on him, twice went out for an opposin GK and once hit wood on the head near their pen spot, the backheader went straight to Pickford but a few feet either side would have got him an assist. He does seem to not take the ball as clearly as Tom and knocks it down in front of him. But overall he's doing very well. In one of these player ranking sites he was our top player.

limey61
03-10-2017, 11:24 AM
as a keeper in years gone by i do give keepers a lot of stick the main thing i like about tom is he catches the ball when ever he can the ball is dead then .some time a parry is all you can do but these keepers that punch the ball when its in front of them drives me mad catch the ball .pope has done so well hes had a hell of a start with the teams we have played and has said we have not missed tom so hes doing well its all about game time for him now .i would extend his contract now as others will be coming soon as they know hes only a number 2 hes good enough for most other teams like i think tom is same with tarks get him on a 5 year deal he will be a target very soon and ben mee for sure tie them down

Altobelli
03-10-2017, 01:17 PM
but these keepers that punch the ball when its in front of them drives me mad catch the ball.

It also infuriates me limey, also those big gloves they wear, why ? I always think that those little rubber pimpled pads you put on the tips of your fingers to count money would do a better job.

alfinyalcabo
03-10-2017, 01:33 PM
Popeye has done all that's been asked of him when needed.. Can't fault the lad ..No doubt he will make a mistake in the future,but hey all goalkeepers do..Just hope the fans don't slate him when it happens ..He's young and vulnerable so needs the fans backing

oldcolner
05-10-2017, 09:21 PM
Opta Joe stats show him to have made most percentage saves in Europe Top 5 leagues. Of 18 shots he has saved 17.

https://www.footballfancast.com/social-media/twitter/burnleys-pope-moves-ahead-of-europes-best-goalkeepers

1959_60
06-10-2017, 11:38 AM
Wow, that's an impressive stat OC.

I love it when we unearth a new promising player. (Pope, Tarks)

Taylor and Wells to come in the near future?

oldcolner
06-10-2017, 12:00 PM
Wow, that's an impressive stat OC.

I love it when we unearth a new promising player. (Pope, Tarks)

Taylor and Wells to come in the near future?

Yes it’s looking good.

The Bedlington Terrier
06-10-2017, 01:16 PM
I hate it when everyone is all optimistic, full of confidence and happy! :D

Boring...:(

Cue...Alto!

sinkov
08-10-2017, 01:35 PM
Just to digress from Pope slightly, I could never quite work out whether Lee Grant was a really poor keeper or just unlucky. Certainly imo he parried far too many shots back into the danger area in front of him, but they always seemed to fall in front of an attacker who banged it into the net. We had defenders around, but the rebounds never fell to them, if they had they could have hacked the ball to safety, but it always seemed to end up in the the back of our net. So in this respect I suppose he was a poor keeper and an unlucky one.

oldcolner
08-10-2017, 03:55 PM
Pope for Russia?
http://the72.co.uk/92643/former-addicks-keeper-staking-claim-plane-russia/

Wonder if there’s an international ‘add on’ to his deal

Altobelli
08-10-2017, 07:04 PM
I hate it when everyone is all optimistic, full of confidence and happy! :D

Boring...:(

Cue...Alto!

When someone writes something I can get me teeth into I'll be here BT, The Pontiff is doing well and has had the breaks, I'm sure as everyone does he'll make a few clangers which if he does I hope it does not break his confidence and folk get on his back straight away :)