PDA

View Full Version : Coincidence?

Frigiliana Pie 1
08-10-2017, 09:27 AM
So Notts have hit a rough patch. It was inevitable really. This squad was never going to romp to League 1 by a huge distance. If we do win promotion this season, it will be by squeezing into third place with only a couple of points to spare, or vía the playoffs.

But there's a strange coincidence building with season 1970/1 when Notts did win the Division 4 championship by a big margin (without looking it up, I think it was about 9 points, at a time when a win was worth only 2). That team, like this one, got off to a scorching start, but like this one, hit a rough patch at the end of September and beginning of October. There were away defeats at Hartlepool and Grimsby, with a home draw against Workington in between. And that bad patch, like the present one, came immediately after an away win at Exeter.

The 1970/1 squad soon recovered with several wins on the trot and were boosted massively by the signing of Tony Hateley at the end of October. Of course with the present day transfer window system,KN can't apply a similar boost until January, but I think he needs to do so then. One decent goalscorer can make all the difference to the outcome of this season.

IluvNotts
08-10-2017, 10:10 AM
Hateley's not available

tripie
08-10-2017, 10:10 AM
So Notts have hit a rough patch. It was inevitable really. This squad was never going to romp to League 1 by a huge distance. If we do win promotion this season, it will be by squeezing into third place with only a couple of points to spare, or vía the playoffs.

But there's a strange coincidence building with season 1970/1 when Notts did win the Division 4 championship by a big margin (without looking it up, I think it was about 9 points, at a time when a win was worth only 2). That team, like this one, got off to a scorching start, but like this one, hit a rough patch at the end of September and beginning of October. There were away defeats at Hartlepool and Grimsby, with a home draw against Workington in between. And that bad patch, like the present one, came immediately after an away win at Exeter.

The 1970/1 squad soon recovered with several wins on the trot and were boosted massively by the signing of Tony Hateley at the end of October. Of course with the present day transfer window system,KN can't apply a similar boost until January, but I think he needs to do so then. One decent goalscorer can make all the difference to the outcome of this season.

As long as we can stay up there over the next few weeks I expect a fruitful transfer window and a good season overall. Every player wants a promotion on their CV so attracting players should be a lot easier than previously. Two games isn't really a bad patch yet. Not compared with some of what we have had to endure recently.

jackal2
08-10-2017, 10:53 AM
Two games isn't really a bad patch yet. Not compared with some of what we have had to endure recently.

Precisely. We drew yesterday, we didn't lose. So far, we've won three games, drawn one and lost one in August, and we've won six and lost one in September. We've begun with a draw in October and we've got some winnable games coming up. These are the sorts of bad patches we could do with having more often! ;D

queenslandpie
08-10-2017, 11:05 AM
Precisely. We drew yesterday, we didn't lose. So far, we've won three games, drawn one and lost one in August, and we've won six and lost one in September. We've begun with a draw in October and we've got some winnable games coming up. These are the sorts of bad patches we could do with having more often! ;D

We are doing much better than I expected And I am quite happy to see how it all pans out. If we go up great but I didnt expect us to. Small bonus. I'll still be alive if we don't ( I hope) unlike the bloke a few cars in front of me on the freeway today who flipped his motor cracked his skull and died.

upthemaggies
08-10-2017, 11:06 AM
The Munto team drew 1-1 at home to a team down at the bottom who ended up being relegated (Grimsby), so yesterday doesn't rule anything out.

How many times have FGR played in front of a crowd that size or played in a ground as big as ML? They would have raised their game massively, where as Notts were expected to coast it and didn't turn up. A learning curve for us, hopefully.

jackal2
08-10-2017, 11:40 AM
The Munto team drew 1-1 at home to a team down at the bottom who ended up being relegated (Grimsby), so yesterday doesn't rule anything out.

The same thing occurred to me. I can remember us losing at home to Accrington and thinking the 2009/10 team had completely lost its way, but by the end of the season that was irrelevant.

Perhaps the excellent start this season, and then the sudden shock of defeat to Mansfield, has made the players aware of the expectation they have generated and in turn affected their performance, but it shouldn't. They just need to get back to the high intensity, in-your-face approach which has won them games. In the last two matches, whether through tension or complacency, they've looked like a team standing back and admiring their work.

crazyfists
08-10-2017, 12:41 PM
The same thing occurred to me. I can remember us losing at home to Accrington and thinking the 2009/10 team had completely lost its way, but by the end of the season that was irrelevant.

Perhaps the excellent start this season, and then the sudden shock of defeat to Mansfield, has made the players aware of the expectation they have generated and in turn affected their performance, but it shouldn't. They just need to get back to the high intensity, in-your-face approach which has won them games. In the last two matches, whether through tension or complacency, they've looked like a team standing back and admiring their work.

Agree, I think being top and being on Football Focus let them think they would romp the league and it was all rosy. Glad in a way they've been brought back down with only one defeat and one draw. Time for us to see how Nolo is at managing this slip.

Old_pie
08-10-2017, 01:03 PM
The 1970/1 squad soon recovered with several wins on the trot and were boosted massively by the signing of Tony Hateley at the end of October.

Another "big" occasion in which the side froze to a 0-0 draw in front of an expectant big crowd v Lincoln if I recall correctly.

Bohinen
08-10-2017, 01:12 PM
The coincidence ends when you consider that the 70/71 team had Needham, Stubbs, Masson, Hateley and Bradd. They were bound for what is now the Championship. If we were promoted, which of the current side would be good enough in League One, never mind the Championship? I'm not counting Forest players.

60YearsAPie
08-10-2017, 01:15 PM
Another "big" occasion in which the side froze to a 0-0 draw in front of an expectant big crowd v Lincoln if I recall correctly.

Between the Lincoln draw in November and the Exeter draw in May that season, we played eleven home games, won them all, scored 36 goals, conceded 5, averaged 11,500.

I'd settle for that this season!

Frigiliana Pie 1
08-10-2017, 01:33 PM
The crowd was far bigger a few days before that Lincoln match - 21000 v Northampton to witness Hateley's return as a Notts player. For once Notts didn't freeze and won 1-0 with a Jon Nixon goal.

Old_pie
08-10-2017, 03:20 PM
The crowd was far bigger a few days before that Lincoln match - 21000 v Northampton to witness Hateley's return as a Notts player. For once Notts didn't freeze and won 1-0 with a Jon Nixon goal.

Memories fade. Certainly the Saturday before was a massive attendance so something brought it on - but in my mind his debut on his return was under the lights. I certainly was there v Lincoln and can't imagine why I wouldn't have been there v the Cobblers. Did he actually play on the Saturday?

And to the main point - when have Notts ever won on the "big" occasions. Going back to the FA Cup v York I remember disappointment after disappointment. Cup thrills v Man City come to mind - oh and some Wembley trips :), perhaps the bad ones sit high in the expectations.

upthemaggies
08-10-2017, 04:00 PM
Memories fade. Certainly the Saturday before was a massive attendance so something brought it on - but in my mind his debut on his return was under the lights. I certainly was there v Lincoln and can't imagine why I wouldn't have been there v the Cobblers. Did he actually play on the Saturday?

And to the main point - when have Notts ever won on the "big" occasions. Going back to the FA Cup v York I remember disappointment after disappointment. Cup thrills v Man City come to mind - oh and some Wembley trips :), perhaps the bad ones sit high in the expectations.

Hateley did play v Northampton. The Lincoln game was 4 days later on the Wednesday night when he got subbed off (for Les Bradd).

As for winning big occasions, we beat Fword a fair few times, Man Utd beaten twice in the 80s, 3 Play off semis at ML all won, Huddersfield great escape, Everton and Spurs in the League Cup, Man City in tier2 in 1985 (in front of almost 18,000), Tranmere in 1973 to get promoted, promotion rivals Walsall in 1960 beaten in front of 22,000.
Nowhere near enough big wins, but everybody over a certain age will at least have some positive Meadow Lane memories of important games in front of big crowds.

Bohinen
09-10-2017, 07:38 PM
Hateley did play v Northampton. The Lincoln game was 4 days later on the Wednesday night when he got subbed off (for Les Bradd).

As for winning big occasions, we beat Fword a fair few times, Man Utd beaten twice in the 80s, 3 Play off semis at ML all won, Huddersfield great escape, Everton and Spurs in the League Cup, Man City in tier2 in 1985 (in front of almost 18,000), Tranmere in 1973 to get promoted, promotion rivals Walsall in 1960 beaten in front of 22,000.
Nowhere near enough big wins, but everybody over a certain age will at least have some positive Meadow Lane memories of important games in front of big crowds.

This is true, we have memories, but nearly all of them under Sirrel or Warnock. The defeat at Mansfield tells me nothing has changed and we still choke. Sirrel or Warnock would never have written that kind of defeat off as 'one of those things'. They would have given the players a kick up the arse.

SwalePie
09-10-2017, 10:02 PM
Tranmere in 1973 to get promoted,

My very first game!

uysapie
09-10-2017, 10:16 PM
This is true, we have memories, but nearly all of them under Sirrel or Warnock. The defeat at Mansfield tells me nothing has changed and we still choke. Sirrel or Warnock would never have written that kind of defeat off as 'one of those things'. They would have given the players a kick up the arse.

Too bleddy right they would.

Old_pie
09-10-2017, 10:20 PM
My very first game!

I made the mistake of letting my then future wife set the date for the wedding - absolutely no consideration for the fixture list :(

Old_pie
09-10-2017, 10:23 PM

I must have had something important on for the Saturday game then because there's no way I'd have willingly missed my avatar's return. Fairly sure I would have seem him on his debut with Newsham out injured as I think I made all the home games that season, and a then skinny young Astle a year or two later.

SwalePie
09-10-2017, 10:51 PM
I made the mistake of letting my then future wife set the date for the wedding - absolutely no consideration for the fixture list :(

Disgraceful. :)

Bridg4d_Pie_
10-10-2017, 11:50 AM
Disgraceful. :)

Well at least Mrs Bridg4d had the decency to put our wedding day back to May 12th 1973, only because she too was a Pies supprter and still accompanies me to the Lane today.

SwalePie
10-10-2017, 11:56 AM
Well at least Mrs Bridg4d had the decency to put our wedding day back to May 12th 1973, only because she too was a Pies supprter and still accompanies me to the Lane today.

That's the spirit! :)

Old_pie
10-10-2017, 11:57 AM

Well done on staying together. Mine never stood the disappointment of missing that match :(

macse15
10-10-2017, 01:59 PM

and we've had "one of those things" more than once and consecutively. Maybe he should have said "three of those things"