PDA

View Full Version : All the best Ray!

thefutureistangerine4
25-10-2017, 12:47 PM
Nice honest decent guy. Handled himself well during his brief period as manager and very dignified exit. Almost unanimously seen as a good appointment by ST when he got the job but unfortunately it has not worked out. I think he may still go on to become a good manager but this job was too big for him at this stage in his managerial career.

Embarrassed by some of the comments about him on this forum. Thankfully I do not feel this forum any longer represents the majority of the support who are on the whole pretty balanced and fair. This place is top heavy with bitter disgruntled 'super fans' who cannot stand common sense and reason.

Not excited about any of the people mentioned in the press. No idea who may be interested in the post but would imagine that the quality is not going to be particularly high.

If its between Hughes and McIntyre i would probably reluctantly offer it to Hughes but only till the end of the season. I am aware of the Raith Rovers debacle but perhaps with a better quality of players his managerial style may able to motivate them to give a bit more than they are doing. Thanks to RM and ST (yep thats right!) the standard of the players in the squad is pretty decent and Hughes does seem to have a bit of charisma and passion about him (also seems to be as thick as mince but ah well....!). McIntyre seems to me just to be another McKinnon and I see no reason to replace like with like. Fingers crossed there are some other decent candidates but who knows?

Whoever comes in will get my full support. Lets sort this quickly!

In the meantime I wish Ray Mac the best of luck. He will remain a DUFC legend in my eyes and I hope he goes onto be a success elsewhere

LSArab
25-10-2017, 01:03 PM
Agree. Ray is united through and through and did all he could for us. Wish him all the best and sure he’ll get other jobs.

I agree ST is responsible for the quality of the squad too. Compare where we are now compared to January 2015. His responsibility ;-)

USArab
25-10-2017, 02:07 PM
Nice honest decent guy. Handled himself well during his brief period as manager and very dignified exit. Almost unanimously seen as a good appointment by ST when he got the job but unfortunately it has not worked out. I think he may still go on to become a good manager but this job was too big for him at this stage in his managerial career.

Embarrassed by some of the comments about him on this forum. Thankfully I do not feel this forum any longer represents the majority of the support who are on the whole pretty balanced and fair. This place is top heavy with bitter disgruntled 'super fans' who cannot stand common sense and reason.

Not excited about any of the people mentioned in the press. No idea who may be interested in the post but would imagine that the quality is not going to be particularly high.

If its between Hughes and McIntyre i would probably reluctantly offer it to Hughes but only till the end of the season. I am aware of the Raith Rovers debacle but perhaps with a better quality of players his managerial style may able to motivate them to give a bit more than they are doing. Thanks to RM and ST (yep thats right!) the standard of the players in the squad is pretty decent and Hughes does seem to have a bit of charisma and passion about him (also seems to be as thick as mince but ah well....!). McIntyre seems to me just to be another McKinnon and I see no reason to replace like with like. Fingers crossed there are some other decent candidates but who knows?

Whoever comes in will get my full support. Lets sort this quickly!

In the meantime I wish Ray Mac the best of luck. He will remain a DUFC legend in my eyes and I hope he goes onto be a success elsewhere

Seconded!

TangerineDream
25-10-2017, 02:11 PM
Signed.

Sorry it didn't work out for you here Ray.

All the very best to you and good luck for the future.

thefutureistangerine4
25-10-2017, 02:20 PM
Agree. Ray is united through and through and did all he could for us. Wish him all the best and sure he’ll get other jobs.

I agree ST is responsible for the quality of the squad too. Compare where we are now compared to January 2015. His responsibility ;-)

If you were chairman which of the players would you have refused to have sold? Gauld, Robertson, Armstrong, GMS or Ciftci?
I don't think there is another provincial chairman that would not have sold Ciftci, Gauld or Robertson for the money on offer. What turned out to be the biggest error was the timing of the sale of GMS and Armstrong but there are mitigating circumstances. GMS had already signed a pre-contract and Armstrong was nearing the end of his. None of the above players would have extended their contracts so they were all diminishing assets. Provincial clubs are always going to sell their players at the highest possible price obtainable and there is a strong argument to be made that for each of these players that price was achieved. History has shown that we lost too many players too quickly - in some ways we were the victim of our own success in accumulating so many sellable assets at the same time. If we had only had a couple then the shock to the team would not have been so severe.

No doubt ST takes the blame for presiding over this sorry chapter and Im sure he is hurting about this too.

He did provide funds to RM to rebuild this summer and surely most people agree that there is enough quality in the team to be promoted. RM has to take some of the blame for team underperforming but tte players also need to take a look at themselves

JamesMcClean
25-10-2017, 02:44 PM
What turned out to be the biggest error was the timing of the sale of GMS and Armstrong but there are mitigating circumstances.

Sorry, but there were no mitigating circumstances for what was the most mental decision taken by anybody within the halls of Dundee United Football Club in it's entire history.

GingerPetric
25-10-2017, 02:52 PM
If you were chairman which of the players would you have refused to have sold? Gauld, Robertson, Armstrong, GMS or Ciftci?
I don't think there is another provincial chairman that would not have sold Ciftci, Gauld or Robertson for the money on offer. What turned out to be the biggest error was the timing of the sale of GMS and Armstrong but there are mitigating circumstances. GMS had already signed a pre-contract and Armstrong was nearing the end of his. None of the above players would have extended their contracts so they were all diminishing assets. Provincial clubs are always going to sell their players at the highest possible price obtainable and there is a strong argument to be made that for each of these players that price was achieved. History has shown that we lost too many players too quickly - in some ways we were the victim of our own success in accumulating so many sellable assets at the same time. If we had only had a couple then the shock to the team would not have been so severe.

No doubt ST takes the blame for presiding over this sorry chapter and Im sure he is hurting about this too.

He did provide funds to RM to rebuild this summer and surely most people agree that there is enough quality in the team to be promoted. RM has to take some of the blame for team underperforming but tte players also need to take a look at themselves

Well Stephen, I would have held off selling Armstrong until the summer (when he still would have had a year left?) and I probably would have not sold GMS in the circumstances that occurred (for both).

If I wanted to sell them I would have done so in a timescale that allowed us to try and replace them adequately, not tell the support they won't be sold repeatedly.....then actually go ahead and do it with no time to get replacements. And no, haemorrhaging half the money he got for GMS on Robbie phucking Muirhead doesn't count.

The rest had to be sold as they were great deals for the club, or the Thompson family, dependent on your perspective.

Ray conducted himself well throughout his time with us, it's a real shame that it didn't work out, it wasn't for a lack of effort or desire.

I think you are wrong in your initial analysis saying the this forum is at odds with the 'wider' United support. I don't know of anyone who felt the status quo was a good or viable option.

The performances just have not been good enough, end of.

thefutureistangerine4
25-10-2017, 02:59 PM
Sorry, but there were no mitigating circumstances for what was the most mental decision taken by anybody within the halls of Dundee United Football Club in it's entire history.

That's your opinion and you are entitled to it. I would be more interested to hear the opinions of other chairmen put in the same position against the backdrop of huge debt. My view is that many in the same position would have made the same decisions. What is beyond dispute is that the club has thereafter spiralled downwards.

Personally, I think the main mistake was not to strategically invest some of the funds that came in. We perhaps could have coped with the loss of top players if we had brought in the right ones. We didnt do that. Also, we probably should have tried harder to have got Tommy Wright when that was an option.

ST bears the responsibility for this and rightly should be criticised for the decline of the club over the last few years. It is just too lazy to blame everything on the sale of the players. Clubs such as ours will always sell our best players when a good offer comes in for them. This will only change if we have millions in the bank or a wealthy owner who can afford to run the team from his/her own assets (as a hobby)

LSArab
25-10-2017, 03:02 PM
I’m not sure why we still had huge debt (prior to relegation) given the income from player sales from Goodwillie onwards.

thefutureistangerine4
25-10-2017, 03:08 PM
Well Stephen, I would have held off selling Armstrong until the summer (when he still would have had a year left?) and I probably would have not sold GMS in the circumstances that occurred (for both).

If I wanted to sell them I would have done so in a timescale that allowed us to try and replace them adequately, not tell the support they won't be sold repeatedly.....then actually go ahead and do it with no time to get replacements. And no, haemorrhaging half the money he got for GMS on Robbie phucking Muirhead doesn't count.

The rest had to be sold as they were great deals for the club, or the Thompson family, dependent on your perspective.

Ray conducted himself well throughout his time with us, it's a real shame that it didn't work out, it wasn't for a lack of effort or desire.

I think you are wrong in your initial analysis saying the this forum is at odds with the 'wider' United support. I don't know of anyone who felt the status quo was a good or viable option.

The performances just have not been good enough, end of.

A reasonable response to mine from someone who clearly is intelligent. I dont disagree with you about the timing of the sale of those two. I suspect there was a concern that with only 18 months on Armstrongs contract there may have been a fear that an injury or loss of form could have resulted in a much lower fee in the summer. So the decision becomes a gamble at that point. Do we turn down a guaranteed good fee at a risk that that fee may disappear later? Once the decision has been made to sell Armstrong is there a possibility that Celtic have insisted on bringing forward the GMS transfer as part of the Armstrong deal. I agree that in retrospect the wrong decision was made. We should have held onto both till the summer. BUT I can see the rationale behind making the deal.

I have no issues with any of your other points other than your point about this forum. This forum is dominated on the whole by people that are passionate almost to the extent of being unable to see things rationally. The support generally are far more forgiving that the majority of this forum. I am not saying the support are happy with the status quo but I think they mostly are prepared to move on if results can improve whilst there is a significant number on here that even if everything was now rosy they would have an agenda to dwell on the past and undermine anything good in the club. Just my view from observing.

one team in city
25-10-2017, 03:10 PM
ray was out his depth same old **** week in week out thank **** he is gone he signed some good players but dident have a clue how to play them one up front says it all at home games

geofoxposse
25-10-2017, 04:10 PM
Irrespective of who arrives they may provide a short term injection of enthusiasm and cover over the cracks and viruses of the club, however the virus will slowly again creep out, It needs reorganising from top to bottom.

LSArab
25-10-2017, 04:31 PM
A reasonable response to mine from someone who clearly is intelligent. I dont disagree with you about the timing of the sale of those two. I suspect there was a concern that with only 18 months on Armstrongs contract there may have been a fear that an injury or loss of form could have resulted in a much lower fee in the summer. So the decision becomes a gamble at that point. Do we turn down a guaranteed good fee at a risk that that fee may disappear later? Once the decision has been made to sell Armstrong is there a possibility that Celtic have insisted on bringing forward the GMS transfer as part of the Armstrong deal. I agree that in retrospect the wrong decision was made. We should have held onto both till the summer. BUT I can see the rationale behind making the deal.

I have no issues with any of your other points other than your point about this forum. This forum is dominated on the whole by people that are passionate almost to the extent of being unable to see things rationally. The support generally are far more forgiving that the majority of this forum. I am not saying the support are happy with the status quo but I think they mostly are prepared to move on if results can improve whilst there is a significant number on here that even if everything was now rosy they would have an agenda to dwell on the past and undermine anything good in the club. Just my view from observing.

Sorry Stephen - there is no rational justification for what you have done to the club since January 2015

No other spl chairman has brought their club into such a bad situation, as against the decent support that united enjoy.

Please go now

Dyce_arab
25-10-2017, 04:40 PM
e

Your well aff here min, TEK and EAST FOOTBALL are ah saying the same, efter every game people in bars were saying same inah, wise up!

Dyce_arab
25-10-2017, 04:43 PM
Seconded!

You need to wise up too min!

LSArab
25-10-2017, 04:45 PM
Yes future is tangerine. Doesn’t seem like you get out much - unless it is just to Costa coffee in the Ferry

Dyce_arab
25-10-2017, 04:47 PM
Yes future is tangerine. Doesn’t seem like you get out much - unless it is just to Costa coffee in the Ferry

hes a balloon min! always on here talking pish ti wind up people, must own a lanyard!

thefutureistangerine4
26-10-2017, 08:24 AM
hes a balloon min! always on here talking pish ti wind up people, must own a lanyard!

Thank you for your well reasoned contribution. Interesting how some people prefer just to throw around insults rather than engaging in the discussion in an intelligent manner....

thefutureistangerine4
26-10-2017, 09:54 AM

I dont get out much? how do you work that out?

I prefer Costa at the Murraygate tbh :)

TerryTheTerror
26-10-2017, 10:08 AM
I dont get out much? how do you work that out?

I prefer Costa at the Murraygate tbh :)

Yeah, the one in the ferry is far too cramped. :)

And, all the best Ray.

darrenshedtastic
26-10-2017, 11:39 AM
for all of thompson's mistakes, its another manager who has been backed fully financially and yet to achieve their aim. Mixu might have been the wrong choice in our relegation season but he was backed hugely to get us out of the situation we were in and didn't happen. and Ray has been backed to get us out of the division. yeah could argue its thompson's fault in the 1st place we are where we are but he its not as if he hasn't backed managers to improve our circumstances.

wish ray all the best in the future. just wasnt meant to be.

thefutureistangerine4
26-10-2017, 11:47 AM
for all of thompson's mistakes, its another manager who has been backed fully financially and yet to achieve their aim. Mixu might have been the wrong choice in our relegation season but he was backed hugely to get us out of the situation we were in and didn't happen. and Ray has been backed to get us out of the division. yeah could argue its thompson's fault in the 1st place we are where we are but he its not as if he hasn't backed managers to improve our circumstances.

Unfortunately for some people there are no shades - everything is black or white. ST is a very bad man that only does very bad things.....These people are incapable of seeing anything positive once they have made their assessment. Regardless of the cock-ups that ST has carried out he has without question financially backed his managers.

LSArab
26-10-2017, 01:08 PM
I’d love to know what we are supposed to be seeing that is so positive??

Flogging any saleable assets and what sometimes seems to be one out one in. Squad getting weaker each season. Depends what you call ‘financially backing’.

Chick A Saw
26-10-2017, 01:13 PM

I cant agree that Ray has been backed as much as people think. Things started getting fishy when the revolving door stopped early on, then the whole Fyvie signing tomorrow...... oh wait...... no money we need to get rid of Bell and a few others along the way!

To me, backing the manager is signing Fyvie, THEN get rid of the others!

TFT4, when on about what has gone before since before Houston left, there really should be no shades between Black and White. I am never gonna be happy at what ive seen happen at the club. Until i see it in black and white that it was all for the long term good of the club, i just cannot accept that all we have to show for selling player after player is the another promising young managers career is in ruin!

I do wish Ray all the best, but it was too big a job so soon in his managerial career.

thefutureistangerine4
26-10-2017, 01:14 PM
I’d love to know what we are supposed to be seeing that is so positive??

Flogging any saleable assets and what sometimes seems to be one out one in. Squad getting weaker each season. Depends what you call ‘financially backing’.

Ok. I will give it a go. Let me try this. So we all agree he messed up with some of the sales and the lack of investment and oversaw us being relegated. Some bad decisions.

At end of last season his manager comes to him with suggestions on who he needs to sign to get us promoted this year. He knows we don't actually have the money for some of these signing but agrees anyway to push the boat out with SPL rated players in a championship team. That is a POSITIVE thing surely?? Now the fact it has not worked out so far cannot all be down to him or have I missed something?

LSArab
26-10-2017, 01:50 PM
Don’t think anyone said it was all down to ST.

His running of the club though has been the main problem in last few years - who else is it suggested is to blame for one of the best supported clubs in the country languishing in the championship.

We have sold millions of pounds worth of players in last 5 years. Financial backing would surely involve at least re-investing that money coming in in the team

You cannot ignore or divorce what has happened from this summer. He has put us in this terrible position. We get a turnover of players, the best leaving for elsewhere, and free transfers in on a team budget said to be bigger than other clubs in the division (but we are by far the best supporter club in this division)

I’m sorry but it is pretty plain for me that the sooner this terrible owner departs the better. I just wish he would do us supporters the favour of selling up cheaply so we can all move on

thefutureistangerine4
26-10-2017, 01:56 PM
I cant agree that Ray has been backed as much as people think. Things started getting fishy when the revolving door stopped early on, then the whole Fyvie signing tomorrow...... oh wait...... no money we need to get rid of Bell and a few others along the way!

To me, backing the manager is signing Fyvie, THEN get rid of the others!

TFT4, when on about what has gone before since before Houston left, there really should be no shades between Black and White. I am never gonna be happy at what ive seen happen at the club. Until i see it in black and white that it was all for the long term good of the club, i just cannot accept that all we have to show for selling player after player is the another promising young managers career is in ruin!

I do wish Ray all the best, but it was too big a job so soon in his managerial career.

In relation to you point about Bell my understanding is that he was commuting from Ayrshire to St Andrews for training. Have you done that drive? I would'nt fancy doing that more than occasionally. Once Cammy knew that Killie were interested in him probably at a similar wage without a 5 hour round trip it would be hard to motivate him to stay. It was not about money. Like I say not everything is black and white. There are shades.... People don't like that though they prefer everything to be linear. We have signed Fyvie so the greedy b*trd has gone and punted Bell. People will believe what they want to believe ultimately.

thefutureistangerine4
26-10-2017, 01:57 PM
Don’t think anyone said it was all down to ST.

His running of the club though has been the main problem in last few years - who else is it suggested is to blame for one of the best supported clubs in the country languishing in the championship.

We have sold millions of pounds worth of players in last 5 years. Financial backing would surely involve at least re-investing that money coming in in the team

You cannot ignore or divorce what has happened from this summer. He has put us in this terrible position. We get a turnover of players, the best leaving for elsewhere, and free transfers in on a team budget said to be bigger than other clubs in the division (but we are by far the best supporter club in this division)

I’m sorry but it is pretty plain for me that the sooner this terrible owner departs the better. I just wish he would do us supporters the favour of selling up cheaply so we can all move on

Not an unreasonable post. And agreed he needs to go. Where are the buyers.....?

Chick A Saw
26-10-2017, 03:17 PM
In relation to you point about Bell my understanding is that he was commuting from Ayrshire to St Andrews for training. Have you done that drive? I would'nt fancy doing that more than occasionally. Once Cammy knew that Killie were interested in him probably at a similar wage without a 5 hour round trip it would be hard to motivate him to stay. It was not about money. Like I say not everything is black and white. There are shades.... People don't like that though they prefer everything to be linear. We have signed Fyvie so the greedy b*trd has gone and punted Bell. People will believe what they want to believe ultimately.

On his commute, it was said on here as Annan! And i have done those drives on many an occasion and had differing experiences of that trip. Suppose its all down to what you drive i suppose and ive not done it in my current cars. More of an A93 guy than motorways though!

And if it wasnt about money, why was his transfer so long winded? When Cammys reasons were so clear cut, should have just let him go! Wee Jim was right about players staying near the club they play at!

offshore_arab83
26-10-2017, 06:02 PM
Unfortunately for some people there are no shades - everything is black or white. ST is a very bad man that only does very bad things.....These people are incapable of seeing anything positive once they have made their assessment. Regardless of the cock-ups that ST has carried out he has without question financially backed his managers.

Not always, i dont think anyone can argue with the backing of the managers, thats never been in question, its everything else out chairman does/has done that riles the support...

GUNBOAT
26-10-2017, 08:13 PM
I have no ill feeling towards McKinnon but i feel he is due the supporters an apology for subjecting us to the worst brand of football home and away in over 50 years,he is also due us an apology for suggesting that we expected his team to win 6-0 every week.To be honest he never done or said enough to get the supporters on side.
We sold out twice last season at Dumbarton and i remember excuses but no criticism of the team or thank you to the fans.I wish him all the best in the future and hope he learn's from the many mistakes he made as the manager of our club.

stokearab
29-10-2017, 07:49 PM
Ray, if you do read here which I very much doubt, Arabest for the future. A friend of mine once said never work for the club you love. Shame it never worked out, all the very best with the next steps in your career.

Its Basher
30-10-2017, 10:33 AM
Ray, if you do read here which I very much doubt, Arabest for the future. A friend of mine once said never work for the club you love. Shame it never worked out, all the very best with the next steps in your career.

What a bunch of hypocritical *******s.
"Good luck Ray.""Still a legend"" Come around for tea Ra"
Two faced half wits

TerryTheTerror
30-10-2017, 11:34 AM
What a bunch of hypocritical *******s.
"Good luck Ray.""Still a legend"" Come around for tea Ra"
Two faced half wits

I assume you think all this trolling is funny, it's not. You've been warned a few times so please give it a break eh?

Its Basher
30-10-2017, 11:46 AM
I assume you think all this trolling is funny, it's not. You've been warned a few times so please give it a break eh?

Its showing how ridiculous you all are.
"Where is Basher" when he he is not able to reply for example.
And the Ray farewell comments are fit for the stage.
Surely you as the mod of this board ought to be picking up posters on their hypocrisy and utter nonsense.
But you are showing yourself to be a weakling TT because you simply stick your head in the sand or press the banned button when you are faced with having to handle ideas.
Its you that should be sacked when i think about it.
A very poor mod.

Skolcorner
30-10-2017, 12:12 PM
We don't care what the Fundee say, what the hell do we care!

TerryTheTerror
30-10-2017, 01:08 PM
None of them are breaking any rules, except you.