PDA

View Full Version : Stevie May

Rougvierocks
29-10-2017, 11:50 AM
As our main striker yesterday, why was he involved with taking corners. Surely we need him in the box to get headers on target or pick loose balls in the box? Not sure about McInnes logic there.

Gogsred
29-10-2017, 01:32 PM
As our main striker yesterday, why was he involved with taking corners. Surely we need him in the box to get headers on target or pick loose balls in the box? Not sure about McInnes logic there.

Also, why do two players stand at the corner flag sometimes when only one takes the corner. Never understood that one.

RedStarTorphins
29-10-2017, 01:36 PM

Because we don’t have a right footed player in the front 6 if Tansey isn’t playing.
Maybe Scott Wright but McLean, Christie, GMS, Stewart are all lefties.

DonsChiel
29-10-2017, 01:49 PM
It's not unusual. The thumb takes them for the manky mob. The farts centre half Souttar takes theirs, from both sides I've noticed, which is even more of a loss you can argue.

I like 2 players at the corner flag for our corners. It means the other team lose 2 players from the box, as 2 of theirs always have to go out to defend it in case we take it short. If only one player is taking the corner, they don't need to send anyone. So we effectively lose one player, they lose 2. Not sure why we sometimes do it at free kicks though.

Jussi
29-10-2017, 02:33 PM
What does the mystery semaphore signal mean before they cross ?
It seems to consist of only one variation,
cant be much of a secret as it seems to be universal now.

afc1903mad
29-10-2017, 04:00 PM
Also, why do two players stand at the corner flag sometimes when only one takes the corner. Never understood that one.

Having a second person show or be near the corner flag draws two defenders out to protect against a short corner.
If you didn’t do it , they would have two more defenders in the box.
It also creates more space in the box to attack as opposed to being blocked off.

What does the mystery semaphore signal mean before they cross ?
It seems to consist of only one variation,
cant be much of a secret as it seems to be universal now.

I think this is a timing thing.
Start of the signal, means the start of a count (in the head) of where to be to meet the anticipated cross.

irnbru1903
29-10-2017, 05:52 PM

While I understand the logic of it I find it utterly pointless as it has rarely made any difference that I can remember.

As far as May taking the corners. He be as well as he is not having much impact in the box. Says a lot when Maynard made a bigger difference when he came on and he has hardly set the heather alight. To be fair he was actually decent yesterday.

Pacman1903
29-10-2017, 06:42 PM
Bring back Ebbes corners

Gogsred
29-10-2017, 07:18 PM
Having a second person show or be near the corner flag draws two defenders out to protect against a short corner.
If you didn’t do it , they would have two more defenders in the box.
It also creates more space in the box to attack as opposed to being blocked off.

I can see the logic in that but if you have two players at the corner flag then it means one less in the middle just outside the box for example to pick up loose or cleared balls. I still have doubts that it gives any advantage. It also means one less of our team to deal with any breakaway counter attack after the corner.

Getintaethem
29-10-2017, 08:17 PM

to draw out at least one of their defenders and create space in the penalty box

xtrmntr75
29-10-2017, 09:50 PM
Bring back Ebbes corners

Bring back Ebbe

Edit - just checked his wiki. Someone on here is at it 😳😆

sancho_panza
30-10-2017, 01:16 PM
The whole "strikers should never take corners" thing always seems a bit reactionary to me. I'm not saying it's always a good idea, but essentially the most important thing when it comes to a corner is the delivery so if your striker happens to be the best at taking them then it makes sense, especially as they aren't necessarily the best player in the team at winning a header in any case.

afc1903mad
30-10-2017, 02:15 PM
I can see the logic in that but if you have two players at the corner flag then it means one less in the middle just outside the box for example to pick up loose or cleared balls. I still have doubts that it gives any advantage. It also means one less of our team to deal with any breakaway counter attack after the corner.

You can still have a guy at the edge of the box........
They're either picked up and leaving more space in the box, else allows the guy a run in or pick up any poor clearances

Pauldolski10
15-02-2018, 11:43 AM
Anybody seen this fella? Sure he signed for us but have not seen or heard about him in a while

mondo_notion
15-02-2018, 11:53 AM
Anybody seen this fella? Sure he signed for us but have not seen or heard about him in a while

Been back in training and scoring a few goal according to Derek in the Peej today. Reading between the lines i don't think he'll be in the team on Saturday.

Pacman1903
15-02-2018, 02:30 PM
I just read about him in the EE. Forgot he existed

rico94
15-02-2018, 02:47 PM
To be fair to Stevie May he played in 15 consecutive games before that hun rat stamped on his ankle.Its not like he has missed the last half a dozen games because he picked up injuries in training.

andoplzcumbak
15-02-2018, 02:48 PM
Be good to have him back as he'll strengthen the team, but I'm not overly fussed if he's gone one more game as we're banging them in at the moment. It's the back we need to sort out.

donsdaft
15-02-2018, 02:51 PM
"Maynard got a goal"

In days gone by you could have been banned for posting stuff like his.

afc1903mad
15-02-2018, 05:49 PM
Be good to have him back as he'll strengthen the team, but I'm not overly fussed if he's gone one more game as we're banging them in at the moment. It's the back we need to sort out.

He was training with the first team last Saturday and did not look like he was impacted by any ongoing injury problems.
DM must have given him the extra week missing the Utd game, so would not be surprised to see him in the squad this weekend.

blowupsheep
17-02-2018, 05:20 AM
"maynard got a goal"

in days gone by you could have been banned for posting stuff like his.

Thanks DD
I did actually get a chuckle out of that XD

Aldo1983
17-02-2018, 07:01 AM
I hope he's not shoehorned into the team today. I think we won't see the best of him until next season.

RedStarTorphins
17-02-2018, 08:16 AM
I hope he's not shoehorned into the team today. I think we won't see the best of him until next season.

Nah, he’ll be sub.
It depends how the score is, but I imagine it’ll be on for Rooney after 70 minutes or so.
When we pay £400k we shouldn’t be writing off a season for a player, but I take your point.
He’s been a big let down so far, even before he got injured he looked like he was pulling an invisible tractor.
A shadow of the “St Johnstone Stevie May” sadly.

awafaehame
17-02-2018, 08:26 AM
Nah, he’ll be sub.
It depends how the score is, but I imagine it’ll be on for Rooney after 70 minutes or so.
When we pay £400k we shouldn’t be writing off a season for a player, but I take your point.
He’s been a big let down so far, even before he got injured he looked like he was pulling an invisible tractor.

Well he needs to get back playing again soon, because if he doesn't, the fans will soon be back singing "Who the fvck is Stevie May?" as nobody will actually remember.

rico94
17-02-2018, 08:45 AM
Nah, he’ll be sub.

Big let down is a tad harsh,he has 4 goals and 5 assists in 19 games, not great but I wouldn’t say he has been a big let down.

It will be interesting to see how he gets on with McGinn in the team, remember Rooney has only started scoring regularly since McGinn has returned and it wasn’t that long ago a lot of people were posting on here that “Rooney is finished “.

RED_JOHN
17-02-2018, 09:04 AM
It will be interesting to see how he gets on with McGinn in the team, remember Rooney has only started scoring regularly since McGinn has returned and it wasn’t that long ago a lot of people were posting on here that “Rooney is finished “.

^^^agree
Stevie May will be a very good player for us when the likes of McGinn are linking up with him. I certainly wouldn't be writing him off.

donsdaft
17-02-2018, 09:17 AM
Our best striker since Scotty Booth.

Every time I've seen him play this season he's been excellent.

He'd be even better is someone would give him the ball at the right time.

87kilos
19-02-2018, 12:29 AM
Our best striker since Scotty Booth.

Every time I've seen him play this season he's been excellent.

He'd be even better is someone would give him the ball at the right time.

Really??

I fail to see what he brings to the team. Not been impressed at all any time I've seen him. Looks a shadow of the player that was at St Johnstone.

ILikeJam
19-02-2018, 09:28 AM
Really??

I fail to see what he brings to the team. Not been impressed at all any time I've seen him. Looks a shadow of the player that was at St Johnstone.

Maybe that's because St Johnstone players actually passed him the ball though?

He was getting visibly angrier every time he made a decent run on Saturday and the ball was passed sideways/backwards/to a Hibs player.

St Johnstone knew that their best chance to score was to get the ball into midfield, look up and try to find May's run with a ball over the top. We seem to have no interest in that tactic, which in turn doesn't suit his main strengths.

Aldo1983
19-02-2018, 10:06 AM

He was getting visibly angrier every time he made a decent run on Saturday and the ball was passed sideways/backwards/to a Hibs player.

St Johnstone knew that their best chance to score was to get the ball into midfield, look up and try to find May's run with a ball over the top. We seem to have no interest in that tactic, which in turn doesn't suit his main strengths.

Another player McInnes maybe doesn't know what to do with. When you see Rooney running about the entire opposition half and blowing out his arse...that's what he wants May to do.

PittodriePile
19-02-2018, 02:06 PM

This is exactly how I view him. He's a classy player, you can tell by how comfortable he is on the ball. He's hungry and sharp when not on the ball, it's a shame we lack the creativity to pick him out.

87kilos
19-02-2018, 03:38 PM
This is exactly how I view him. He's a classy player, you can tell by how comfortable he is on the ball. He's hungry and sharp when not on the ball, it's a shame we lack the creativity to pick him out.

Comfortable on the ball? I've yet to see him go past someone with the ball.

Basingstokered
19-02-2018, 03:46 PM
Really??

What’s your review of Nicky Maynard ?

redstarfk
19-02-2018, 04:07 PM
I've been disappointed with him. Not lack of effort that's the problem. Too often when he's been in good positions , he lets us down by a heavy touch or typically he overhits what should be a fairly simple pass

But I certainly woudn't be giving up on him yet. We can't afford to anyway

Don_Corleone
19-02-2018, 05:31 PM
I've been disappointed with him. Not lack of effort that's the problem. Too often when he's been in good positions , he lets us down by a heavy touch or typically he overhits what should be a fairly simple pass

He needs a decent run in the team once he's fully fit. I don't think he's as natural a finisher as Rooney though and if McGinn and GMS keep supplying Rooney he'll score. May is a different type who's better all round but difficult to decide whether he's worth putting in ahead of Rooney (providing he's getting good supply). My fear is McInnes will end up putting May in for GMS, or putting May up front and Rooney wide right as he has in the past.

87kilos
19-02-2018, 05:41 PM
What’s your review of Nicky Maynard ?

Who?

87kilos
19-02-2018, 05:43 PM

Yip, I'm with you. He almost seems clumsy with the ball at times and I seem to remember him being a lot quicker when he was with St J.

Hopefully a run of games and a full pre season will get him back to his best. Or maybe even a 4-4-2 formation may help him.

RED_JOHN
19-02-2018, 06:16 PM
Hopefully a run of games and a full pre season will get him back to his best. Or maybe even a 4-4-2 formation may help him.

We really need to start looking to be more of a presence up top. The current system doesn’t suit Stevie May.