PDA

View Full Version : Greg Stewart

blowupsheep
05-11-2017, 02:53 PM
Certainly for me one of the most positive things to take from the last two games is the performance of Greg Stewart. There is most certainly a top class player in there and it is very pleasing indeed to see him get the game time he needs, and in turn put in the performance he has in the last two games, and that is just the start he is going to be a huge player for us this season.............

COYR

donsdaft
05-11-2017, 03:17 PM
Haven't seen any of yesterday yet but I think he's going to come good

RedStarTorphins
05-11-2017, 03:35 PM
Certainly for me one of the most positive things to take from the last two games is the performance of Greg Stewart. There is most certainly a top class player in there and it is very pleasing indeed to see him get the game time he needs, and in turn put in the performance he has in the last two games, and that is just the start he is going to be a huge player for us this season.............

COYR

DM described him as “terrific” yesterday.
Aside from a well taken goal, i didn’t see much.

I’m yet to be convinced.

Maybe he needs a run of games, which he hasn’t had.

So far the only way in which he’s been “huge” is in filling the jersey.

Think we’ve been poor out wide in the main this season.

blowupsheep
05-11-2017, 04:09 PM
So far the only way in which he’s been “huge” is in filling the jersey.

yes he could be doing with dropping another couple of Kilo's (couldn't we all :P )
But reading his interview on his summer antics (he enjoyed himself to the full) then i can understand where the extra kilo's he was carrying earlier on came from and why he was struggling a bit, he was a top class prospect when at Dundee, things just did not go well or work out for him down south (not the first time that has happened to a top quality and top prospect)
Was honestly delighted when we signed him and now that we are starting to see glimmers of his quality he will be massive for us this season and not in only how he fills the jersey, .................................. watch this space

COYR

Sidney77
05-11-2017, 04:22 PM
I thought his passing and linking with his others was useful yesterday. Hopefully will come good, but as pointed out by others he still appears a bit on the bulky side.

mondo_notion
05-11-2017, 04:39 PM
Thought he was brilliant in our Europa run. Definitely an intelligent player. We would have some team if himself and GMS find a run of form. With McGinn and particularly Hayes we had a degree of consistency, we knew what we were getting. The thing is we need that same consistency from our play makers now and Stewart and GMS aren't quite there yet.

Feck_the_Huns
28-12-2017, 08:30 PM
Not sure where the signing of McGinn leaves Stewart. I've not been slow in stating that I don't rate him, whilst observing that the vast majority of Reds disagree.

Where I think the problems lie with Stewart is that he appears to me to be more like an old fashioned inside forward, or more comfortable wide in a 4-3-3. We don't do 4-3-3.

He doesn't have the pace to play wide in our 4-2-3-1. Far too often, when he gets on the ball, it's on the halfway line, where he'll never affect the game

For me, he has a helluva long way to cement a permanent deal. Heard talk of a swap with him and Mclean, with the latter heading to Brum.

RedStarTorphins
28-12-2017, 08:57 PM
Not sure where the signing of McGinn leaves Stewart. I've not been slow in stating that I don't rate him, whilst observing that the vast majority of Reds disagree.

Where I think the problems lie with Stewart is that he appears to me to be more like an old fashioned inside forward, or more comfortable wide in a 4-3-3. We don't do 4-3-3.

He doesn't have the pace to play wide in our 4-2-3-1. Far too often, when he gets on the ball, it's on the halfway line, where he'll never affect the game

For me, he has a helluva long way to cement a permanent deal. Heard talk of a swap with him and Mclean, with the latter heading to Brum.

No way can I see McLean go to Birmingham when they’re in with a shout of being in League One next year

afc1903mad
28-12-2017, 09:35 PM

Stewart is a very intelligent player, often playing in the space between the lines.
He’s very good with the ball and hardly gives it away.
He certainly is a very good player for us and I certainly enjoy the anticipation when he gets on the ball.
It may be a simple pass or he could jink inside.
He definitely prefers his left foot, but I am seeing improvement each game and he deserved his MOTM last night.

Getintaethem
28-12-2017, 10:26 PM

I like Stewart and think he could grow into be a stalwart of the team. There is something of the Jim Bett about him. I am not sure why, perhaps it is his attitude to the game.

Even though not a natural position for him, I could see him playing in McLean's position. He would need to learn how to tackle but he would be a dynamo and attack minded. Probably crazy, but there is just something about him that I think would suit him in that role.

RedStarTorphins
28-12-2017, 10:54 PM
I like Stewart and think he could grow into be a stalwart of the team. There is something of the Jim Bett about him. I am not sure why, perhaps it is his attitude to the game.

Even though not a natural position for him, I could see him playing in McLean's position. He would need to learn how to tackle but he would be a dynamo and attack minded. Probably crazy, but there is just something about him that I think would suit him in that role.

He’s not got the fitness to be a centre mid.
And “Dynamo” is not a word I’d ever use to describe him.

Goalposter
29-12-2017, 12:04 AM

What's great about rst's depression?

He never has to make his bed, since he's always in it.

��

RED_JOHN
26-02-2018, 10:21 PM

And saying that he is a bit like Jim Bett! 🤣

Don_Corleone
26-02-2018, 11:52 PM
Was it ever established if he is injured or just dropped altogether on Sunday?

I know we re-signed McGinn but thought he was coming onto a game as his fitness improved.
I don't think he's started a game this year or been involved at all the past 4?

Anyway, obvious he'll not be getting an offer to stay and I'm not sure if he has the mentality to be good enough for us but surely preferable to watching Ball/AOC/Chidi.

There's no place for him in the team really - we need wide players with pace who can get beyond a man and fire the ball into the box for Rooney. McGinn and GMS are far superior to Stewart in that respect. I do rate Stewart, he's got a great touch, control, balance etc, but I just don't see where he fits into this team - doesn't have the pace or fitness for me. I would actually have played him in the Ryan Christie position against Celtic and played McLean further back. I think Stewart would work better in the middle than out wide. He'll be away back south at the end of the season, hasn't done enough to get near the team never mind win a permanent deal. Wright is a better option out wide as he fits into the system better with his style of play.

Feck_the_Huns
27-02-2018, 09:27 AM
There's no place for him in the team really - we need wide players with pace who can get beyond a man and fire the ball into the box for Rooney. McGinn and GMS are far superior to Stewart in that respect. I do rate Stewart, he's got a great touch, control, balance etc, but I just don't see where he fits into this team - doesn't have the pace or fitness for me. Wright is a better option out wide as he fits into the system better with his style of play.

So, begs the question, why the fcuk did we sign him? McInnes scattergun approach?

Don_Corleone
27-02-2018, 09:43 AM
So, begs the question, why the fcuk did we sign him? McInnes scattergun approach?

Well he’s a good player although he doesn’t fit into our system so I assume mcinnes just thought, “decent player available, might as well sign him as we’ve lost McGinn and Hayes” - if he had been fit from the start I think he would’ve played a bit more but would require a different approach - with mcginn back and GMS doing reasonably well I can’t see him featuring much now.

rico94
27-02-2018, 09:54 AM
He must be a better option to come off the bench than Nicky Maynard.

Don_Corleone
27-02-2018, 09:58 AM

This is an incredibly good point

Pacman1903
27-02-2018, 10:19 AM

Probably a better left back than Considine too

Mr_Grieves
27-02-2018, 10:57 AM
We seem to sign a hoor of a lot of unfit players - Stewart, Tansey, Arnason, May, Devlin...........

Basingstokered
27-02-2018, 11:06 AM
We seem to sign a hoor of a lot of unfit players - Stewart, Tansey, Arnason, May, Devlin...........

Makes Considine look less slow !

man-erg
27-02-2018, 11:09 AM

I assume McInnes like everyone else didnt expect McGinn to return.

Unless I am mistaken, isn't Stewart only on a season loan?

I actually think he's one most skilled Scottish players around. He could well turn out to be a very decent signing for someone.

Feck_the_Huns
27-02-2018, 12:37 PM
Mystery surrounds whether he was injured or just dropped on sunday.

Either way, even when on the bench, he's nae getting game time, is he? I've never hidden the fact that I don't rate him, but, each to their own.......

Think its tatties for him here in the summer, can see him back at Dens.

JuanFatche
27-02-2018, 04:32 PM
Mystery surrounds whether he was injured or just dropped on sunday.

Either way, even when on the bench, he's nae getting game time, is he? I've never hidden the fact that I don't rate him, but, each to their own.......

Think its tatties for him here in the summer, can see him back at Dens.

Stewart is a good player, but, just like Stevie May, he seems to operate better playing off a striker who can hold the ball up. We don't have one (unless that's what Cosgrove does, don't want to judge the guy on 8 minutes worth, but he didn't make a great impression even aside from the red.) As said already, McInnes just signed him because he was available, not because he fit our system. Which is patently ridiculous.

Definitely think people are being harsh on Nwakali though. He covered a lot of ground and won a fair few tackles on Sunday. Maybe he wasn't great tactically at times, but we don't know that that wasn't what he was asked to do by the manager. This being the same manager that seems to think long balls to Stevie May are a good idea.

RED_JOHN
27-02-2018, 06:51 PM
Makes Considine look less slow !

I wouldn’t go that far. :)

blowupsheep
28-02-2018, 02:54 AM

Now that is a very valid and justifiable point rico.....
Fk me even I'm a better option to have coming of the bench than Maynard and I'm the wrong side of 50 ffs

Feck_the_Huns
03-03-2018, 11:29 AM
is pish

The end

rico94
04-04-2018, 07:30 PM
I’m beginning to think it might be worth signing him in the summer permanently if it’s possible,he has started to look like the player he was at Dundee now he is a bit fitter.

Or a meringue?

afc1903mad
04-04-2018, 07:33 PM
I’m beginning to think it might be worth signing him in the summer permanently if it’s possible,he has started to look like the player he was at Dundee now he is a bit fitter.

Or a meringue?

I agree.
If he’s available at the right price a decent recruit

rico94
04-04-2018, 07:43 PM
I agree.
If he’s available at the right price a decent recruit

With McLean and Christie gone I reckon Stewart,GMS,McGinn,Wright and Ross would be decent options for the attacking positions.

ragnarok
05-04-2018, 12:31 AM
With McLean and Christie gone I reckon Stewart,GMS,McGinn,Wright and Ross would be decent options for the attacking positions.

I agree. Stewart is a clever player and has a lot of the attributes we will need once McLean and Christie are no longer in the side.

It's no surprise that he struggles out wide given his lack of pace. He's the opposite of Peter Pawlett who looked useless if he didn't have space to run. Stewart looks most dangerous when he has the ball at his feet in and around the 18 yard box.

Pacman1903
05-04-2018, 08:49 AM
Lets see if he keeps up his good form for the rest of the season. If he does then id be happy to sign him. A couple of good games doesnt make him signable

neilthedon
05-04-2018, 09:57 AM
Lets see if he keeps up his good form for the rest of the season. If he does then id be happy to sign him. A couple of good games doesnt make him signable

I`d have him signed now if it was possible. His close control , and ability to bring other folk into the game is very good. Certainly cannot think of another player like him that we could get our hands on ?

He`d slot right into that no 10 or whatever it has become in modern day terms ) where Christie gets to play ( and McLean would want to be played ) With both of them away , he is ideal for that. Clearly his fitness has come on , as before he was dropped to shoehorn Mcginn back in , and currently without McGinn playing, he is looking like the player we saw at Dundee.

Sign him up !! Then we need another couple for midfield too ?

DollyLongstaffe
05-04-2018, 12:11 PM
I'd get him signed if we can.

You don't get to be twice on a short list of 4 for Scottish POTY (3 places normally reserved for Celtic or whatever club happens to be playing out of Mordor) unless you're a very good SPL player. He's lost a bit of confidence and looks like a guy who turns in on himself a bit when things are not going well, but unlike the likes of Maynard he's shown enough to indicate he's capable of reproducing his best form once he settles in at Pittodrie. It's often forgotten how often a good player can take time to bed in - neither Johnny Hayes nor Barry Nicholson were up to much in their first season here.

Saw an interview with him last week where I was impressed with what he had to say - no girning, fully accepted responsibility for not doing enough to establish himself in the side despite being given every reasonable opportunity, said he hadn't lost faith in his ability and believed he could prove himself in the final round of games. In his two games since then he's taken a big step towards doing that.

Don_Corleone
05-04-2018, 12:26 PM
Proven quality player, so if the price is right sign him up. I don't think he was fit earlier in the season and seemed to lack confidence. Definitely not a winger, but would be ideal in the 10 role if Christie isn't signing on permanently. McGinn and GMS are the better options out wide, but Stewart brings something a bit different, probably more suited to a central role, or roaming role in behind the front man.

kigoretrout
05-04-2018, 01:00 PM
I like him. He has been played out of position to accommodate Christie. He was a bit unlucky dropping out on McGinn's return as he was starting to come into a wee bit of form.

Different type of player to Christie but with both Christie and Kenny away I would like us to sign him.

I can't imagine Birmingham would be that difficult to deal with.

rico94
05-04-2018, 01:25 PM
I like him. He has been played out of position to accommodate Christie. He was a bit unlucky dropping out on McGinn's return as he was starting to come into a wee bit of form.

Different type of player to Christie but with both Christie and Kenny away I would like us to sign him.

I can't imagine Birmingham would be that difficult to deal with.

Its a strange one because if you look at his stats from his last season as a Dundee player he seems to have played most of his best football on the right wing.Although he only played 3 games as an attacking midfielder and scored 4 goals so maybe that is his best position.

32 goals and 27 assists in 84 games in total for Dundee is very impressive though.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/greg-stewart/leistungsdaten/spieler/156775/plus/0?saison=2015

PittodriePile
05-04-2018, 01:31 PM
Sign him up.

kigoretrout
05-04-2018, 02:11 PM
Its a strange one because if you look at his stats from his last season as a Dundee player he seems to have played most of his best football on the right wing.Although he only played 3 games as an attacking midfielder and scored 4 goals so maybe that is his best position.

32 goals and 27 assists in 84 games in total for Dundee is very impressive though.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/greg-stewart/leistungsdaten/spieler/156775/plus/0?saison=2015

I think that might be a wee bit misleading.

I spoke to a couple of Dundee supporting mates a while back. I said I was frustrated with Stewart's lack of form. They seemed to think he played most of his games at Dundee as a deep lying forward coming in mainly from the right. He has never had enough pace to be playing on the right wing and can't track back as evidenced by a couple of poor goals we lost when he was playing out there when he got skinned for pace.

I still think he could be decent if used correctly.

Landvetter83
16-04-2018, 04:01 PM
.... was the only player to scrape a pass-mark (5/10) on Saturday IMHO.

afc1903mad
16-04-2018, 04:54 PM
.... was the only player to scrape a pass-mark (5/10) on Saturday IMHO.

I agree, he was the one at least trying to do something.
I would be happy if we were able to secure and he got a full pre-season with us.

RED_JOHN
16-04-2018, 05:31 PM
I agree, he was the one at least trying to do something.
I would be happy if we were able to secure and he got a full pre-season with us.

Stewart was certainly trying harder than the rest. Wasn’t afraid to be on the ball and looked for it.
I hope we can sign better though as he is only a squad player.

erchieplum
16-04-2018, 05:40 PM
Stewart was certainly trying harder than the rest. Wasn’t afraid to be on the ball and looked for it.
I hope we can sign better though as he is only a squad player.

I think over the last few games Stewart has been really good ,deservedly getting MOTM. At Hampden he wasn't one to hide and that's the sort of attitude we need in our players. I would be delighted if he signs a permanent deal with us

Red Zone
16-04-2018, 06:28 PM
I'm with Red John on this one. For sure he has looked better recently but not convinced his end product is good enough to merit a first team place. He still has a year of his contract with Birmingham to go, but if they let him go for free and he didn't use up a lot of the wages budget then I would be willing to take a chance but no more than a 2-year contract. He might work in the No 10 slot but doesn't have the pace to play wide nor the steel to play in a central midfield role

Jupiter
16-04-2018, 06:35 PM
Get rid, he's hardly done anything this season.

afc1903mad
16-04-2018, 09:58 PM
I think over the last few games Stewart has been really good ,deservedly getting MOTM. At Hampden he wasn't one to hide and that's the sort of attitude we need in our players. I would be delighted if he signs a permanent deal with us

He’s a very intelligent player, often picking up good spaces between the lines.
If we manage to retain, we could see an even better Stewart next season.

blowupsheep
17-04-2018, 02:42 AM
Get rid, he's hardly done anything this season.

and the reason for that would be down to the sheer "brilliance" once again of our manager, the times Greg has been called upon this season he has pretty much delivered and deserves a better chance than he has had from McInnes.
SHould be getting rid of Mcinnes before getting rid of Greg Stewart......

SF

Red Zone
17-04-2018, 09:25 AM
and the reason for that would be down to the sheer "brilliance" once again of our manager, the times Greg has been called upon this season he has pretty much delivered and deserves a better chance than he has had from McInnes.
SHould be getting rid of Mcinnes before getting rid of Greg Stewart......

SF

I think he has been good at times, especially in the last month but if you take the whole season he honestly has been average at best, not helped of course by him being a stone overweight when he rolled up here. Now that may be because he hasn't been played in his best position as he simply doesn't have the pace to play as a winger, I suspect he would be most effective in the No 10 position but hasn't had a look in there due to Christie and McLean. Given Christie's current form I would be all for dropping him and giving Stewart a chance for the last few games to see if he is worth trying to get for next season (still has a year on his Birmingham contract to go).

Teddy Bear
17-04-2018, 01:56 PM

COYR

Any truth in the rumour he is one of the people?

Pacman1903
17-04-2018, 01:59 PM

A soap dodging, bigoted piss soaked wife beater?

Nae sure min

Teddy Bear
17-04-2018, 02:04 PM

COYR

A soap dodging, bigoted piss soaked wife beater?

Nae sure min

No one of “the people” nae one of your cousins likesay ;)

RedStarTorphins
17-04-2018, 02:41 PM

What does "We Are The People" actually mean?
What a f*ckwit expression.
Makes no sense.

bigj
17-04-2018, 02:43 PM
Makes no sense.

don't bite

Mason89
17-04-2018, 02:45 PM
Makes no sense.

Bit like the Bluebells are Blue

If they weren’t, they might be called something else

RedStarTorphins
17-04-2018, 02:53 PM
don't bite

I'm not biting.

I just want the scummy b@stard to explain their illiterate nonsense.

Then he can go and f*ck off