PDA

View Full Version : Long Ball Tactics

Yak
12-11-2017, 08:52 AM
Surely we have to look at something different ?
Half the time it’s not good long passes just aimless punts forward.
Stopped off for a pint as we always do after game yesterday and just like on a lot of occasion opposition fans think we’re just a big team who just wallops it to Moore.
Its not just it’s not good to watch it just invites pressure the opposition gets it straight back.

Why can’t 4-4-2 work for us ?

redhouse
12-11-2017, 08:59 AM
We play more passing football when we have Frecks Towell and Potter in midfield all we could do yesterday was hoof it most of the time mainly because Newell never got into the game and Vaulks rarely sees the simple pass and looks for the glory ball too much

Credit to Donny as well for closing us down so quickly we definitely need Frecks and Towell back in midfield next week imo

mikemiller
12-11-2017, 09:09 AM
We play more passing football when we have Frecks Towell and Potter in midfield all we could do yesterday was hoof it most of the time mainly because Newell never got into the game and Vaulks rarely sees the simple pass and looks for the glory ball too much

Credit to Donny as well for closing us down so quickly we definitely need Frecks and Towell back in midfield next week imo

Early season, with Frecks, Towell and Potter all fit, we were playing well. As soon as the injuries kicked in, we looked like last season's team. Vaulks not up to the same standard, and Newell should be playing on the wing. If Warney can't sort out Frecks, Towell and Potter fitness problems, we will continue to struggle

Yak
12-11-2017, 09:13 AM
Agree with above but we still have enough in the team to stop hoofing it.

frogmiller
12-11-2017, 11:02 AM
Early season, with Frecks, Towell and Potter all fit, we were playing well. As soon as the injuries kicked in, we looked like last season's team. Vaulks not up to the same standard, and Newell should be playing on the wing. If Warney can't sort out Frecks, Towell and Potter fitness problems, we will continue to struggle

I kind of agree with most of that but I'd like to see if Newell could play along side Moore. His bal control and dribbling is great and he finds the short pass much better than most in the team.

One distinctive thing now is how the opposition is coping with our pressing game. Their defence just spreads out so we have to use more players to do the same thing as we were doing at the start of the season. They then sent a pass through the midfield and they're straight onto our defence.

caytonmiller
12-11-2017, 11:15 AM
What team would you play yak in the 442?

caytonmiller
12-11-2017, 11:18 AM
Regards your op.
I wouldn't change the formation but would reduce the long ball %
As mentioned. If we have footballers in the team then it's easier to play it on the floor..

millmoormagic
12-11-2017, 11:24 AM
Regards your op.
I wouldn't change the formation but would reduce the long ball %
As mentioned. If we have footballers in the team then it's easier to play it on the floor..

Agree, i think we have some cracking footballers but we're not playing to their strengths at the moment are we, Newell,Williams,Ball are probably up there as three of the best in the division, and we have to find a system that suits them, that allows us to get them on the ball as often as possible, all very easy to post on a forum of course and very difficult to put into practice, maybe the xmas tree formation would do it??

mikemiller
12-11-2017, 11:36 AM
Agree, i think we have some cracking footballers but we're not playing to their strengths at the moment are we, Newell,Williams,Ball are probably up there as three of the best in the division, and we have to find a system that suits them, that allows us to get them on the ball as often as possible, all very easy to post on a forum of course and very difficult to put into practice, maybe the xmas tree formation would do it??

Ball is definitely not suited to the hoofball tactic - not big and strong enough to win the ball in the air. Just hoping that Warney realises that in relation to what happens to our squad in January

caytonmiller
12-11-2017, 11:37 AM
Maybe so MMM.
Away from home I would try 4231
Back four of (whichever)
Sitting two of potter and forde.
3 of frecks (towell if injured) Williams and taylor.
Moore up top

I know people are saying forde? Imo his strength is passing and tackling. His defensive side of game is better than his attacking side.

Pocket rocket
12-11-2017, 11:38 AM
Agree it’s easy to say it on a forum.
Was I’ll yesterday so didn’t go and watched it on SKY.
Have to be honest we were poor and just hoisted it forward without any real intent of finding a man.

Agree we have decent footballers in the team but we’re not using there quality’s.
I lost count of the amount of times we had time on the ball and just launched it straight pass Newell Taylor and Williams.
It seems to me and I’m always objective is that whenever Warne gets criticised the cry’s of what’s he supposed to do or could you do any better come out.
He’s the manager and is paid to see what hell of a lot of fans are seeing.
Also agree that most away fans think we’re a team of long ball physical one man team and not good to watch. I do chat with them away from home.
Take the equaliser out yesterday and we would have a different forum this morning.

For what it’s worth Warne has done a lot of good stuff imo but over the last 5 games we have been between awful and average.

gwru
12-11-2017, 11:38 AM
I disagree totally. Potter & Vaulks are the 1st 2 names on the team sheet in midfield. Then it's either Frecks, Towell or Wiles. No room for Newell. This league is physical not for the nesh.

millmoormagic
12-11-2017, 11:42 AM
Agree it’s easy to say it on a forum.
Was I’ll yesterday so didn’t go and watched it on SKY.
Have to be honest we were poor and just hoisted it forward without any real intent of finding a man.

Agree we have decent footballers in the team but we’re not using there quality’s.
I lost count of the amount of times we had time on the ball and just launched it straight pass Newell Taylor and Williams.
It seems to me and I’m always objective is that whenever Warne gets criticised the cry’s of what’s he supposed to do or could you do any better come out.
He’s the manager and is paid to see what hell of a lot of fans are seeing.
Also agree that most away fans think we’re a team of long ball physical one man team and not good to watch. I do chat with them away from home.
Take the equaliser out yesterday and we would have a different forum this morning.

For what it’s worth Warne has done a lot of good stuff imo but over the last 5 games we have been between awful and average.

Yeh, yesterday was the first time i've actually thought Warne had got it wrong tactically, thye were rubbish and there for the taking, we had to score for them, but for me we showed a lack of nous going forward.

frogmiller
12-11-2017, 11:43 AM
I disagree totally. Potter & Vaulks are the 1st 2 names on the team sheet in midfield. Then it's either Frecks, Towell or Wiles. No room for Newell. This league is physical not for the nesh.

I would like to see Newell along side Moore for a couple of games.

MillerBill
12-11-2017, 02:42 PM
I would like to see Newell along side Moore for a couple of games.

I agree frog.we must play a system where KM is not marooned up front.Newell would be an option ,also Taylor could be better used alongside the big lad.Come on Warney we must play a more attacking system, with having two up front.

Grist_To_The_Mill
12-11-2017, 02:58 PM
It's quite disconcerting that most people's plans revolve around a crock that rarely plays more than 20 games a season.

Yak
12-11-2017, 04:22 PM
What team would you play yak in the 442?

Come on Cayton why is that Warne gets questioned you automatically throw it back with what would you do. ?

Picking 4-4-2 wouldn’t be difficult would it ?
Easy as playing Ball up top potter and towel in middle with 2 wingers and other options which I can’t be arsed to list.

Warne imo has done some decent stuff if I’m honest better than what I thought in some ways.

But yesterday was shocking we looked like a team intent on just playing the percentage game with the massive kick up field.

Frecklington is a miss yes but please don’t tell me that without him we can only hoof it ?

Apart from Portsmouth away I’ve yet to talk to any away fans who think we’re anything different than a long ball one man team.

Can’t all be wrong.
Want Warne to succeed also want him to utilise the players we have using there strengths eg David Ball
Good footballer wrong tactics.
Why sign him if we’re not going to play to his strengths?

mellowmiller
12-11-2017, 04:50 PM
Warne brought Ball to the club to play as a number 10 so give him a fair run in that position now he's fit.
Newell can't play in central midfield, he just doesn't have the necessary attributes. He's more effective playing on the left but his real value is coming off the bench with 20 - 25 minutes to go.
Vaulks is hit and miss and can't play the simple pass, he's more guilty than most for just launching it forward. By the way, that free kick he took yesterday was embarrassing, the sort of thing you'd expect a pub player to do on a Sunday morning.
Frecks must play in central midfield if fit, otherwise Towell, with Potter alongside.
Then Williams on the left, Taylor on the right, Ball just in front of the midfield with Kieffer up top.
Just draw the names out of a hat to decide who will play in defence as that seems to be the way it's done at the moment.

caytonmiller
12-11-2017, 05:12 PM
Come on Cayton why is that Warne gets questioned you automatically throw it back with what would you do. ?

Picking 4-4-2 wouldn’t be difficult would it ?
Easy as playing Ball up top potter and towel in middle with 2 wingers and other options which I can’t be arsed to list.

Warne imo has done some decent stuff if I’m honest better than what I thought in some ways.

But yesterday was shocking we looked like a team intent on just playing the percentage game with the massive kick up field.

Frecklington is a miss yes but please don’t tell me that without him we can only hoof it ?

Apart from Portsmouth away I’ve yet to talk to any away fans who think we’re anything different than a long ball one man team.

Can’t all be wrong.
Want Warne to succeed also want him to utilise the players we have using there strengths eg David Ball
Good footballer wrong tactics.
Why sign him if we’re not going to play to his strengths?

i answered your question and asked who you would play in a 442 formation. wtf is wrong with you. you asked the question and i asked one back. ffs grow up dick

Yak
12-11-2017, 05:20 PM
Don’t do arguments on here Cayton.
However I’ll be in high bar on Saturday at 1.30 come and repeat what you have just said to me.

I’m off this site now till I calm down.

See you Saturday Cayton don’t be late.

gwru
12-11-2017, 05:56 PM
Warne brought Ball to the club to play as a number 10 so give him a fair run in that position now he's fit.
Newell can't play in central midfield, he just doesn't have the necessary attributes. He's more effective playing on the left but his real value is coming off the bench with 20 - 25 minutes to go.
Vaulks is hit and miss and can't play the simple pass, he's more guilty than most for just launching it forward. By the way, that free kick he took yesterday was embarrassing, the sort of thing you'd expect a pub player to do on a Sunday morning.
Frecks must play in central midfield if fit, otherwise Towell, with Potter alongside.
Then Williams on the left, Taylor on the right, Ball just in front of the midfield with Kieffer up top.
Just draw the names out of a hat to decide who will play in defence as that seems to be the way it's done at the moment.

We want men not boys. Build side round Ihiewke, Potter, Vaulks, Williams & JCH our players. This league is for direct players. Not sure about Towell but Taylor, Forde, Newell & Yates are surplus. Ball don't think he's a Roth' U type player.

caytonmiller
12-11-2017, 07:27 PM
As I mentioned in earlier thread,. Grow up dick.
What's up. You ask a question and you want everyone to agree with you? Were you not asking for a conversation? Ok. For future threads you start I will refrain from replying to you...
Don't drink to much at 130pm Saturday in the high bar.

millmoormagic
12-11-2017, 07:31 PM
Come on now lads, no need for this stuff really is there?

Pocket rocket
12-11-2017, 07:35 PM
Cayton all due respect telling him to grow up your the one name calling.
Personally it’s childish imo
Lots of keyboard warriors on here though but in reality you wouldn’t though face to face.

And YAK calm down you plonker he doesn’t like anybody disagreeing with him hence the comment so take a break
Just ask millertop Cayton is the font of all knowledge he can’t be wrong.
Best to just agree or ignore him.

millavanilla
12-11-2017, 08:48 PM
We want men not boys. Build side round Ihiewke, Potter, Vaulks, Williams & JCH our players. This league is for direct players. Not sure about Towell but Taylor, Forde, Newell & Yates are surplus. Ball don't think he's a Roth' U type player.

Zzzzzzzzzzzz
zzzzz
zzzzzzz
zzzz
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

mellowmiller
12-11-2017, 08:51 PM

Who do you think are the "boys" then amongst the players I mentioned?

caytonmiller
12-11-2017, 09:01 PM
You are probably right crash my calling yak a dick was out of order and childish.
Yak I apologize for calling you a dick.
My language is out of order.

Crash saying
"I'm the font of all knowledge and he can't be wrong". From someone like you I will take that as a compliment..
Regards millertop. He exaggerated the truth,. Bull ****ed, lied. However you put it and I called him out/pulled him over it. It has nothing to do with agreeing...

Thanks for your contribution/intervention 😘

Pocket rocket
12-11-2017, 09:13 PM
Cayton I assume you meant me not crash?

Personally I thought yak got it wrong you asked him a simple question and he read it wrong.
Trouble is he’s a bit of a hot head (understatement)
So will react to names like that.

He will calm down in about a year 😆

My dig at you was a bit tongue in cheek although you have imo called a few out for criticism of Warne recently.
Oh I love this board at times.
No offence meant let’s all have a hug 😊

caytonmiller
12-11-2017, 09:30 PM
Ooops Yeah pocket I ment you. Sht I hope I don't have a crash fetish

Not sure calling people out when they comment about warne is accurate or if it is it wasn't ment to be.
I was more wanting people to put there opinions on what he should be doing rather than just saying. Warne is sht,. 451 is sht. Defence is sht. Our 4 keepers are sht.. and I think regards yak is what I asked this time
Personally I think warne is a clown and shouldn't be anywhere near out team as a manager. I cringe at every interview when he feels it's compulsory to crack a joke..

Keyboard warrior is something I'm not. If I'm sat in the boozer with yourself/yak/millertop and I say what I did earlier to yak then face to face it would be easy to see my comments had no malice in it. Though on a forum there just words on a screen.
For what it's worth I would have prob used knob head f2f rather than dick.

Pocket rocket
12-11-2017, 09:33 PM
Fair play mate it’s all good.
3 points Saturday

UTM

Casper64Frank
12-11-2017, 09:38 PM
Oh I love this board at times.
No offence meant let’s all have a hug 😊

The only way I would give you a hug is if you have got rid of the sh1ts Pocket. Don't want to catch owt and miss your 3-0 win against the Shrews LOL..

Wouldn't mind seeing Taylor or Ball alongside Kieffer Moore until January at least.

Pocket rocket
12-11-2017, 09:40 PM
On a water diet at moment pal.
Good news is I saved beer money yesterday.

Masbroughstreet
12-11-2017, 10:02 PM

None of that really makes any sense, but at least you didn't mention you know who.

millertop
12-11-2017, 10:20 PM
Two threads I've asked what Cayton is on about and he didn't bother to answer.
Love to know what I suppose to have lied about but I won't waste my time on Mr perfect.

caytonmiller
12-11-2017, 10:47 PM
I pointed it out at the time millertop.
If you go back over the thread you will find it.

I thought you had me on blocked so you didn't have to read my threads? We don't need to list this as number three do we? 😋