PDA

View Full Version : Guess Who !!! 3

VillaRosie
12-11-2017, 03:59 PM
I believe 4 of these photos are post Ron Atkinson and 1 red herring. ;D

Exiledvillan
12-11-2017, 04:14 PM
Even my shot memory remembers these under achievers Rosie, although Didier did have a fine game v Man U.

Alback
Big Feck
J Lloyd Samuel
Didier Six
Guy Whittingham

VillaRosie
12-11-2017, 05:05 PM
Well done Exiled. ⭐️

When Guy Whittingham went to Sheffield Wednesday Ian Taylor came the other way. Whether it was a swap or money was exchanged I don’t know.

I will be honest apart from his name the only thing I can remember about Didier Six was his hair.

Exiledvillan
13-11-2017, 07:04 AM
I would agree with you Rosie. I don’t know if it was the name and the mystique of a French player in our team rather than the player himself that got us all excited. He could be tricky, fast and exciting. Along with being weak, inconsistent and a horrendous diver.
Whittingham, prolific at Pompey, was sh1te for us and I think we did pay a fee plus Whittingham for Taylor (Dave or Foxy will know), so probably one of the best bit of business that the Villa have ever done, behind only Sir Dennis, Withe and McGrath for me. So Whittingham did play a hugely positive role in AVFC history after all ;D .

afoxy52
13-11-2017, 08:27 AM
Exiled I think we got Taylor for around £1.5m & Whittingham went for between £700 - 900k I don’t recall if it was initially a combined deal but it may have been
Re Whittingham he scored shed loads of goals for Pompey but only managed about 4 or 5 for us,yet another striker who we have signed who is prolific for the selling club but can’t hit a barn door when we sign them
Does this remind you of any others that have followed him?
Could be an interesting list

UTV

Exiledvillan
13-11-2017, 11:42 AM
Bin a few mate, and I could be accused of being harsh but:

Trash Fash
Baros (although he did net against small heath)
Philips (see Baros)
Geddis (see Baros)
RMC
Cascarino
Aspinall
Savo
Balaban
Hogan :blue:

afoxy52
13-11-2017, 12:49 PM
That’s a good start mate,I can go back a little further to when we signed Alan Evans from Liverpool for about £80k,we were in the old third division then so that was a lot of dosh
imo the common denominator with most of the signings you’ve mentioned is that we either play them out of position or almost certainly do not supplied them when played in the role they were purchased for
UTV

Exiledvillan
13-11-2017, 06:15 PM
I’m only a pup (1964) Foxy, and the 1st new signing that I can remember was Andy Lochead from Leicester, I remember me Dad telling me about him signing. Bruce Rioch was my favorite player back then but I don’t remember him signing. I was gutted when he left, so I latched onto Brian Little, who remains my favorite to this day.
I quite liked Leighton Phillips, probably cos me Mom was Welsh but he wasn’t really that great, not to a pre-****ager anyway.
I can’t remember who our (imo) 1st sh1te singing was, probably cos I thought they were all great players til I was in my ****s. I never really took to Frank Carradus for some reason, never bloody scored and back then I didn’t really appreciate assists, Andy Gray must’ve done tho.
Footy was so much fun when it wasn’t wall to wall tv. Dad used to hand over the sports pages every day for me to scour the Villa. The ‘Pink Argos’ at 6pm on a Saturday (at New St station) was the highlight of the week. Even the early editions with only HT scores in the ‘Stop Press’ at the bottom, and pictures for the bedroom wall.
FCK, I feel old.

stateside
13-11-2017, 07:53 PM
Despite not being prolific he helped us out the 3rd division and a third place finish in division 2 the next season.

westcountryvillain
13-11-2017, 08:05 PM
I'm a 1970 younger pup and first started watching us in the days of Little,Gray,Deehan,Burridge et al (amazing how this all comes to mind in an instant). Morley was my favourite, always a sense of anticipation when he'd pick the ball up and run at defences.

The sh1te players from back in the day post Rotterdam for me were:

Stainrod
Sims
Hodge
Callaghan
Ormondroyd (although something of a cult figure)
Poole

More recently

Grant Holt
Chris Sutton
Leonardsen
Berger
Pires
Johnsen
Djemba Djemba
Alpay
Westwood
Ireland
Carlton Cole
Joe Cole
Sidwell
Shorey
Routledge
Sidwell
Ridgewell

Some not bad players before they got to VP granted.

What about the gems that we let go - Davis, Cahill,Baker,Robinson,

Exiledvillan
13-11-2017, 08:33 PM
Despite not being prolific he helped us out the 3rd division and a third place finish in division 2 the next season.

Only went to one match in the promotion season, Bournemouth. Was perilously perched half on, half off a crash barrier in the Witton End, all three goals went in at the Holte. Carradus didn’t play so wouldn’t have seen him. Apart from ‘Star Soccer’ I didn't see him play for ages. As I said, I was a nipper and all my heroes were goalscorers. Just didn’t take to FC, didn’t dislike him, he just wasn’t glamorous enough for a 7 yr old.

Crikey WCV we have singed some crap :D .

afoxy52
13-11-2017, 09:48 PM
12 February 1972 over 48k rammed into the old ground
Macdougal for Bournemouth with a cracking diving header
Vowden equilises with a looping header for Villa
Lochead wins a header it goes up in the air but he reacts the quickest and catches it on the volley
2-1 to Villa
The noise was incredible the whole ground shook - magic
For those of you who want to either reminisce or those to young not to have been there check out the footage on you tube
Re; Bruce Ricoh he was a big favourite of mine
Bought by the Doc in 1969 for 100k a record deal for a 2nd division player/club
Played 154 games & scored 34 goals - just under 1 goal in 5 games not a bad return for a midfield player
Oh I’m getting emotional 😭
UTV

afoxy52
13-11-2017, 09:50 PM
Apologies for misspelling I did mean Rioch
UTV