PDA

View Full Version : Toughing it out at the Top

LSArab
25-11-2017, 10:17 PM
A point today has at least kept us at the top of the league which is a big thing

To win a league you have to win a lot of matches and our record against the part timers whilst in the championship has been poor.

However it’s the matches against the top sides which are the most important - the 6 pointers

I don’t think the top 4 will change. It’s us, Saints, Livi and Dunfermline.

We need to try and get ahead of this lot (no play offs please) and to do that we need to beat them in matches against them

Disappointing today but it’s Livi playing Saints on Tuesday and then we have to beat Dunfermline at home on Saturday.

The trip to paisley over Christmas is already looking massive.

Important to try and stay top to then

Come on United!!!

GUNBOAT
26-11-2017, 10:57 PM
I read a post last week saying we would skoosh the league now but i never believed that,as i have had posted a few times now on various thread's the players need to have a good look in the mirror.How can they fail so badly for McKinnon then up their game for his NO 2?.
Anyone thinking all our problem's are solved with a managerial change are living in dream land,there are still too many players at this club who are saft as shyte both mentally and physically and its gonna take more than cancelling their Wednesday off to cure the problem.

jjaflup22
26-11-2017, 11:30 PM
I read a post last week saying we would skoosh the league now but i never believed that,as i have had posted a few times now on various thread's the players need to have a good look in the mirror.How can they fail so badly for McKinnon then up their game for his NO 2?.
Anyone thinking all our problem's are solved with a managerial change are living in dream land,there are still too many players at this club who are saft as shyte both mentally and physically and its gonna take more than cancelling their Wednesday off to cure the problem.

^^^ This. Some of the posts last week after a victory over a sh1t Falkirk team were premature to say the least.

Arab_Wasp
27-11-2017, 07:46 AM
We are only top on borrowed time. Livi win they go top any other result and Midden go top either outright by two points or on goal difference we need a postponement to remain top. Still good news is the top team keeps losing points.

RAM1971
27-11-2017, 01:04 PM

Like Nelson at Trafalgar, Gunboat fires off an accurate broadside. Such, short, sharp, target hitting fusillades are usually associated with Middle Eastern Sanitary Technician.

TerryTheTerror
27-11-2017, 01:16 PM
Yet it's the plumber that GB is taking about when saying he read folk say we'd now win the league easily.

shedka
27-11-2017, 01:51 PM
Yet it's the plumber that GB is taking about when saying he read folk say we'd now win the league easily.

That's what I thought of right away, pure fantasy stuff to think we will suddenly win this league comfortably

shedboy71
27-11-2017, 01:56 PM
We never win anything comfortably!

TerryTheTerror
27-11-2017, 02:39 PM
To be fair, we have won three cup finals three nil. :)

shedboy71
27-11-2017, 02:58 PM
thats a very good point. I was still worried about 3 goals in injury time lol!

RAM1971
27-11-2017, 03:54 PM

Presumably Middle Eastern Sanitary Technician was envisaging our powder would remain dry. The players allowed it to get damp, with the result we struggle to compete.

Jim_Jam
27-11-2017, 06:30 PM
It was good the way we played in the first half against Brechin but again we did not put away our chances.

I think we need to learn to take corners and to defend corners.
Maybe that could be the theme for extra training.

stokearab
27-11-2017, 07:20 PM
Toughing it out at the top is better than toughing it out at the bottom like the Fun are at the moment. When we go up I want us to be able to compete at least for top 6, so if Shabba makes us better as we tough it out it'll stand us in good stead for next season.

LSArab
28-11-2017, 11:17 AM
Everything is ALWAYS better than being a Funster

Not sure what to wish for tonight.

Can’t help but think St Mirren are the biggest threat - especially now there is to be no vancacy at Aberdeen for Jack Ross to fill.

Probably best for a Livi win to knock St Mirren a bit though draw would be ok

TerryTheTerror
28-11-2017, 11:21 AM
I think we need to learn to take corners and to defend corners.
Maybe that could be the theme for extra training.

About 3 years ago! Regardless, perhaps it's because we don't have anyone that can take a corner that makes practising this in training difficult. :)

shedka
28-11-2017, 02:08 PM
Weirdly there has never been a home victory for either side in the St Mirren v Livingston fixture including both meetings this season being away wins

St Mirren do have a good home record though

The main thing is us breezing Dunfermline and then putting in two good away performances at Morton and QotS

thefutureistangerine4
28-11-2017, 04:07 PM
Would take 7 points from 9 in next 3 games as long as we beat Dunfermline.

FTD1983
28-11-2017, 04:28 PM
Toughing it out at the top is better than toughing it out at the bottom like the Fun are at the moment. When we go up I want us to be able to compete at least for top 6, so if Shabba makes us better as we tough it out it'll stand us in good stead for next season.

Madness - I'd rather be in the bottom half of the top flight than the top of the Championship - it's an absolute no brainer.

shedka
28-11-2017, 05:48 PM
or bottom sixth of the top flight jizzin about a 3rd league win in 18 games

stokearab
28-11-2017, 07:06 PM
Madness - I'd rather be in the bottom half of the top flight than the top of the Championship - it's an absolute no brainer.

What I meant was I'd rather have a good coach that builds us over the rest of the season into a team that can compete for top 6 once up, than be 12th in the Premiership or whatever the fluk it's called now and struggling at this moment, likely to come back down again.

FTD1983
28-11-2017, 08:19 PM
What I meant was I'd rather have a good coach that builds us over the rest of the season into a team that can compete for top 6 once up, than be 12th in the Premiership or whatever the fluk it's called now and struggling at this moment, likely to come back down again.

That makes a bit more sense bud.

Building now is great but, just my opinion, it'll need an overhaul to make the step up - I'd be happy to win this league ugly with what we have and start the real building next season.

Early season and all that but I thought even the funsters looked a fair way ahead of us in the cup games and they are a ****ing gang.

shedka
28-11-2017, 08:20 PM
Weirdly there has never been a home victory for either side in the St Mirren v Livingston fixture including both meetings this season being away wins

St Mirren do have a good home record though

The main thing is us breezing Dunfermline and then putting in two good away performances at Morton and QotS

And Livi take the lead

I don't think they will be going away either, Hopkin went for quality over quantity, they have cover even if injury hit, going by what Livi fans have said

stokearab
28-11-2017, 08:32 PM
That makes a bit more sense bud.

Building now is great but, just my opinion, it'll need an overhaul to make the step up - I'd be happy to win this league ugly with what we have and start the real building next season.

Early season and all that but I thought even the funsters looked a fair way ahead of us in the cup games and they are a ****ing gang.

Agreed. The important thing is that we win it outright, and I don't mind how we do it. But Csaba will be looking already at the players he'll want to retain as the backbone of the team that plays in a higher division next year.

shedka
28-11-2017, 09:10 PM
Morgan made it 1-1 early second half and the full back who scored the consolation peach at Tannadice has made it 2-1 St Mirren

ianharab
28-11-2017, 10:19 PM
We need to just focus on ourselves , if we get that right we will be ok

LSArab
28-11-2017, 11:31 PM
I think St Mirren have shown they are the main contenders tonight.

Need to stay in touch / get ahead of them. Not unlike this league for someone to go on a long winning run and win it.

jjaflup22
29-11-2017, 12:21 AM
Personally I think this league is friggin mental and anyone can beat anyone, which is a real worry.

Jim_Jam
29-11-2017, 12:47 AM

USArab
29-11-2017, 02:27 AM
😂😂😂😂

SmedDUm
29-11-2017, 07:13 AM
I hope we have a good Christmas.
Livi home Sat 23rd.
St Mirren away Fri 29th.

Zero out of 6 the tree's coming down.

LSArab
29-11-2017, 11:44 PM
Brechin after that too...9 points would be the best Xmas present

Jim_Jam
02-12-2017, 10:33 PM
What a weekend!
Who cares that the Dee won again.
Cream floats to the top and we know what sh1t3 does.

LSArab
03-12-2017, 02:38 AM
Fair enough! 😂

Some duffucult matches next Morton then QOS away.

The Livi and St M

Needs points!!

Arabdownsouth
03-12-2017, 07:17 PM

Our relegation season was no fun tbh

LSArab
06-12-2017, 01:03 PM
I actually thought that we might survive during our relegation season though the performances were so, so poor.

There were times when we seemed to be turning a corner

When Mixu and ST went desperate and signed risku and any free transfer they could find I thought one or two of them must surely come good

When we put a shed load past Killie at home it seemed we had found our formula and it would be ok.

When Paton came back from injury we seemed to improve but then dipped again

We suffered a few call offs at times when we seemed to be starting to get better.

Mixu seemed never to be able to play a good consistent team and his selections were maddening

Up to Patrick away near the end I though we could save it with wins after the split.

It was a very poor effort in the end to fall so far short.

I would much rather be in the spl than in the championship. This club is too big to be in the second tier

Jim_Jam
10-12-2017, 08:51 PM
Win in Greenock and now on to Dumfries.
it"s tough at the top.
Organising my family visit for Paisley on 28th.

LSArab
11-12-2017, 12:04 AM
Very much us v saints at top now

If we can win over there this time then that will be a massive step forward

Chick A Saw
11-12-2017, 11:29 AM
Very much us v saints at top now

If we can win over there this time then that will be a massive step forward

Im not gonna discount Livi just yet as they have 2 winnable games in hand that would put them right back in the mix. 2 games in a week to give us a bit of breathing space.

GingerPetric
11-12-2017, 02:32 PM
Discount nobody, keep the mindset focussed on one game at a time.

Avoiding defeat on Saturday would be big, a draw wouldn’t be a disaster although we’ve had a good record there recently.