PDA

View Full Version : BBC sports gossip

Mr_Brightside
05-12-2017, 10:21 AM
This morning has Scott Fraser linked with a move to Wigan in January and says Flood is out until the New Year with a dislocated shoulder.

Can’t believe I’m saying this but Flood will be a big loss, massive month ahead.

TerryTheTerror
05-12-2017, 10:22 AM
Flood has been excellent for the last month or so, big miss if true.

shedka
05-12-2017, 10:39 AM
If we are serious about promotion we can't afford to be losing key players in January window, has derailed us too many times in the past

Flood about big miss and could cost us pts, especially with Briels not ready to come back in

JamesMcClean
05-12-2017, 10:49 AM
If we are serious about promotion we can't afford to be losing key players in January window, has derailed us too many times in the past

Sorry to have to sound like a broken record, but do you really think something as minor as hindsight is going to stop you know who up in the Boardroom?

offshore_arab83
05-12-2017, 11:47 AM
heard funds will be available for 2 x players in Jan!

Whitfieldarab
05-12-2017, 12:07 PM
Heard at the weekend that Darren Taylor was over in Hungary looking at a midfielder and a striker.

LSArab
05-12-2017, 12:17 PM
We need to keep Fraser as his contributions can win us matches

Get well soon for Willo. Hope he is ok.

Fyvie can play defensive midfield role - and do we need more that one in that position when we are looking to beat teams every game

We have decent midfield options and can match formation to what we have within a strong squad

duke_the_arab
05-12-2017, 01:39 PM
heard funds will be available for 2 x players in Jan!

Will they funds be available after we've sold Fraser and Robson ?????

JUSTaway
05-12-2017, 01:42 PM
I'd happy have seen Flood let go in the summer, but I'm delighted to eat my words, I actually thought he started last season well but faded, and perhaps got overplayed when he was out form which didnt help, but he has been excellent the past month.

Fraser would benefit from staying at United a couple of years, he is only now starting to show his best form (reminds me of Stephen Thomson who was rubbish up until his last 6 months), is being played in his best position (is he going to get that luxury at another club?). He would be better being the main man at United, getting us up, proving himself in the top flight, and then moving on. I think if he moved now he would just get swallowed up and spat out somewhere. I'd say just look at the career choices of Scott Allan and Stuart Armstong. I've been sceptical in the past about Fraser (mainly due to his reluctance to use his right foot) but happy to eat humble pie.

shedboy71
05-12-2017, 01:45 PM
I will let OA answer but i had heard it was 2 additional. I also do not think we will sell either player in January unless its a 500k type bid.

My concern is that they go off the boil if they sign pre contracts. Hope not.

Chick A Saw
05-12-2017, 02:21 PM
Fraser would benefit from staying at United a couple of years, he is only now starting to show his best form (reminds me of Stephen Thomson who was rubbish up until his last 6 months), is being played in his best position (is he going to get that luxury at another club?). He would be better being the main man at United, getting us up, proving himself in the top flight, and then moving on. I think if he moved now he would just get swallowed up and spat out somewhere. I'd say just look at the career choices of Scott Allan and Stuart Armstong. I've been sceptical in the past about Fraser (mainly due to his reluctance to use his right foot) but happy to eat humble pie.

I would like to see Robson and Fraser stay a bit longer but im not so sure that someone else will allow that.

But i cant see how Stuart Armstrong can appear in the same sentence as Scott Allan. Scott Allan thought he was something and made it by disappearing doon sooth, only to turn up again just like the bad penny. Stuart Armstrong knew he was something, proved he can do something else and was moved on and has done well at Ceptic.

Maybe we will see the same happen in parallel after January!

offshore_arab83
05-12-2017, 03:57 PM
I will let OA answer but i had heard it was 2 additional. I also do not think we will sell either player in January unless its a 500k type bid.

My concern is that they go off the boil if they sign pre contracts. Hope not.

This^^^^

thefutureistangerine4
05-12-2017, 04:11 PM
I reckon that both these guys will sign pre contracts in Jan and will both then coast the rest of the season at United before leaving for compo. Worst possible scenario.

Question for the never sell brigade...If both indicate they have no intention of signing new contract (would suspect that can be inferred by virtue of fact both are at end of contracts) would you sell for maximum amount in Jan and use the money to strengthen or would you hang onto them/

For me if decent money was offered for Robson I might take it and reinvest but would hold on to Fraser unless the offer was crazy ) eg £750+k. He is a harder player than Robson to replace in Jan.

offshore_arab83
05-12-2017, 04:45 PM
Id take money for Robson and keep Fraser too fit4

tHeArAb
05-12-2017, 05:47 PM
Fraser wil sign a pre-contract with someone imo. He wont be sticking around after the ****e he's recieved from the stands over the last year or so. Its clearly pissed him off.

GingerPetric
05-12-2017, 08:06 PM
Scott Fraser has always shown huge potential but has been wildly inconsistent and not always shown the required desire.

He’s been excellent recently. So has both Willo and Robson.

However for the two young ones the time to extend contracts on our terms is past. The time to do that was probably a year ago but at that time a good percentage of fans would have argued that they were not worthy of it, the club were probably wary of committing themselves due to financial constraints. Sums up the limitations involved in being in the Championship and the uncertainty over our short term future.

With regards to Fraser taking abuse I’m sure he’s big enough to deal with it. Some was OTT but he is similar to Ozil - his playing style lends itself to look lazy sometimes and he gets the brunt of fans frustrations.

Based on their performances both would be a massive loss in January - if we could keep one it would be Fraser.

I’d hope the manager gets a say in what happens if there is the possibility of money coming in.

stokearab
05-12-2017, 08:55 PM
Having other teams sniffing around our players means we're doing something right, but if we're serious about going up this season any deals for players should involve sale and loan back. We have a chairman who would sell his office desk if he thought it would net a couple of grand, but thinking that through it's probably already mortgaged to someone else.
It's hard to know how skint we are but if we sell these players in January without better replacements coming in it will be a disgrace. And lets face it, we wouldn't be paying fees for replacements so how could you say they would be better.

Up to you Stephen. Better get this right or you're gonna pi55 off the fans again, only 5800 (?) 5900 on Saturday.

LSArab
05-12-2017, 09:04 PM
We are so bereft. Our current position is so bad that a player showing potential is gone in 6 months and we get close to nothing for them by way of transfer or compo

At least in the spl we could decent transfer fees that in theory could have been reinvested in the team

JamesMcClean
05-12-2017, 09:20 PM
Having other teams sniffing around our players means we're doing something right, but if we're serious about going up this season any deals for players should involve sale and loan back. We have a chairman who would sell his office desk if he thought it would net a couple of grand, but thinking that through it's probably already mortgaged to someone else.
It's hard to know how skint we are but if we sell these players in January without better replacements coming in it will be a disgrace. And lets face it, we wouldn't be paying fees for replacements so how could you say they would be better.

Up to you Stephen. Better get this right or you're gonna pi55 off the fans again, only 5800 (?) 5900 on Saturday.

This ^^^ every day of the week.

Klaus_Heisler
05-12-2017, 09:52 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Willo was awful on Saturday?? Not saying he hasn't been playing well lately, and I think he will be a miss for December, but the game completely passed him by on Saturday!

Chick A Saw
05-12-2017, 10:08 PM
I reckon that both these guys will sign pre contracts in Jan and will both then coast the rest of the season at United before leaving for compo. Worst possible scenario.

Question for the never sell brigade...If both indicate they have no intention of signing new contract (would suspect that can be inferred by virtue of fact both are at end of contracts) would you sell for maximum amount in Jan and use the money to strengthen or would you hang onto them/

For me if decent money was offered for Robson I might take it and reinvest but would hold on to Fraser unless the offer was crazy ) eg £750+k. He is a harder player than Robson to replace in Jan.

I have my suspicions that the damage has already been done in that they have not been offered new contracts because the dollar is king. My fear is that they will both depart for significantly less that what they are worth and we will be sitting waiting for the one in a million sell on to come off.

Im probably gonna be proved wrong, but i trust Shabbas ability to find an adequate replacement for the departing more than Sackie and Eraysed proved. You never know, the replacement for Fraser might be Stanton or Keatings, but i dont think there is someone for Robson. Was gonna mention Dixon, but i didnt know he is with Grimsby.

Chick A Saw
05-12-2017, 10:13 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Willo was awful on Saturday?? Not saying he hasn't been playing well lately, and I think he will be a miss for December, but the game completely passed him by on Saturday!

I dont think Willo had a bad game, maybe he just didnt have to put in the shift like previous games. Lost count of the times he dropped back doing the job he has been asked to do.

LSArab
05-12-2017, 10:31 PM
I have my suspicions that the damage has already been done in that they have not been offered new contracts because the dollar is king. My fear is that they will both depart for significantly less that what they are worth and we will be sitting waiting for the one in a million sell on to come off.

Im probably gonna be proved wrong, but i trust Shabbas ability to find an adequate replacement for the departing more than Sackie and Eraysed proved. You never know, the replacement for Fraser might be Stanton or Keatings, but i dont think there is someone for Robson. Was gonna mention Dixon, but i didnt know he is with Grimsby.

I’m not minded to be so harsh on Ray re his recruitment. He actually put together decent squads, just maybe didn’t get the most out of them.

He has left a decent legacy re this squad for Shabba and Laurie to work with

Chick A Saw
05-12-2017, 10:59 PM
I’m not minded to be so harsh on Ray re his recruitment. He actually put together decent squads, just maybe didn’t get the most out of them.

He has left a decent legacy re this squad for Shabba and Laurie to work with

There are some howlers in there though, like the No10s debacle last season and N'Koyi has not exactly proved himself as yet.

JUSTaway
06-12-2017, 01:32 AM
Fraser has been widely inconsistent the past couple of seasons, in part due to not being played in his best position, and the team as a whole struggling, but the thing is if he moves onto another level, the scrutiny/criticism is only going to be even bigger, its not going to disappear.

I'd like both to stay, but reckon they are both away, but i'd hold onto them until the summer. If I had to keep one I'd keep robson, not because he is the better player, but we have similar players at least to Fraser, whereas we have no cover at left back other than scobbie, and the idea of Scobbie and Murdoch as full backs would be brutal.

psych
06-12-2017, 07:18 AM
Word on the street is that St Mirren are going to lose Lewis Morgan to Celtic in January but immediately loaned back for the rest of the season. What happens over the next few months is going to have long term implications for the future of the club. We have to gain promotion this season. We cannot lose any player like Fraser, no matter what financial inducements are waved in ST face. The cost in the long term will dwarf any short term gains. Just look at the Armstrong, GMS fiasco.

JamesMcClean
06-12-2017, 08:25 AM
Word on the street is that St Mirren are going to lose Lewis Morgan to Celtic in January but immediately loaned back for the rest of the season. What happens over the next few months is going to have long term implications for the future of the club. We have to gain promotion this season. We cannot lose any player like Fraser, no matter what financial inducements are waved in ST face. The cost in the long term will dwarf any short term gains. Just look at the Armstrong, GMS fiasco.

For players that will be in their last six months of their contracts and playing in the Championship, it's hardly going to be great money. Fraser has the ability , but where the issue has always been has been in his application and his total lack of getting stuck in or tracking back and defending. Thankfully this has improved massively of late and we're starting to see the player he can be. The financial implications of failing to get up this season will have massively greater long term implications than any quick hit from a fee in January, which is not likely to be any greater than what the development fee would be anyway. Surely, FINALLY, even the Snake can see this - after all it's this serial looney transfer policy that's put us here in the first place and will continue to do so unless he allows the Manager to get some consistency in his player pool, even for 12 months FFS!

United have always been a selling Club. Jum sold Andy Gray, Raymond Stewart, Kevin Gallacher, Richard Gough, Duncan Ferguson etc. But it was always for top dollar and most importantly, when it suited the CLUB first and foremost, not just in terms of money but in timing i.e. when it was least likely to be detrimental to the quality of the team on the pitch, which surely should be the single most important consideration in determining whether to sell. NOT how much wonga is being waved under your nose. Baldy surely must see this by now?

LSArab
06-12-2017, 08:39 AM
This is spot on. It’s not easy to get promoted.

If we miss out this season who knows what financial state we will be in and when we will eventually get up again

Could be decent teams coming down from spl -one or two- that invest heavily and make it very difficult next season if we fail

We can’t take any risks this time and have to make sure we comfortably win league to get back up

TerryTheTerror
06-12-2017, 08:50 AM
... and most importantly, when it suited the CLUB first and foremost...

This clearly isn't true.

tHeArAb
06-12-2017, 09:34 AM
Article in the paper today about this, Shabba says he's got 4 positions he would like to fill in January.

JamesMcClean
06-12-2017, 11:07 AM
This clearly isn't true.

Why? Wee Jum said as much in interviews and in his book. And furthermore, do you really think we would have got what we did for Duncan Ferguson under ST? Common sense and his previous form for selling at the drop of a hat would strongly suggest not.

My ultimate reason for posting what I said is that I am becoming increasingly concerned about ST's potential actions in this upcoming window. The vultures are just starting to hover and my great fear is him doing his usual stunts and flogging potentially two of our best assets just as we are looking in a decent position for winning the league and getting up. This January is definitely NOT the time to be gambling, but my worry is that we have heard this record before and leopards (or snakes?!) don't change their spots..........................

TerryTheTerror
06-12-2017, 11:37 AM
We only sold players when it suited us? Come on.

djh1711
06-12-2017, 12:15 PM
This is spot on. It’s not easy to get promoted.

If we miss out this season who knows what financial state we will be in and when we will eventually get up again

Could be decent teams coming down from spl -one or two- that invest heavily and make it very difficult next season if we fail

We can’t take any risks this time and have to make sure we comfortably win league to get back up

Dundee in the championship and it was classed as an easy league fizzy pop etc. Now United are there with play off option they still cant get out of it and it is classed as not easy to get promoted...... Oh the irony.

LSArab
06-12-2017, 12:21 PM
Ha ha

Poor Funsters with a chip or a chip supper on their shoulder

Don’t worry funsters we won’t be spending as many years in the second flight as you have over the last 20 years

ahlltanyirhide
06-12-2017, 12:36 PM
That sadly is the way of most of the leagues throughout Europe, and unless UEFA but a limit on the number of players a club can have on their books, or the number of players they can loan out, then the ‘big’ clubs will continue to hoover up anyone who shows a glimpse of talent

arab_pat
06-12-2017, 12:58 PM
Fraser, although good recently, is replaceable. If we sell him in Jan and get that money for another player I won’t be too upset

stokearab
06-12-2017, 07:54 PM

Correct! Heard today that Hearts also been tracking Fraser :mad:

stokearab
06-12-2017, 07:56 PM
Fraser, although good recently, is replaceable. If we sell him in Jan and get that money for another player I won’t be too upset

Agree that any player is replaceable, it's just the timing (yet again) and disruption to a side that is settling.

Arabs4ever
06-12-2017, 08:36 PM
Agree that any player is replaceable, it's just the timing (yet again) and disruption to a side that is settling.

See what really pisses me off is this transfer window shoite. What was wrong allowing teams to conduct transfer business throughout the season until transfer deadline day? Is this really giving the fans a great deal? Is it phuck. Unitil FIFA & UEFA get this bullsh!t done away with, football will just be about the clubs with big finances. Our Stewart Reagan and Doncaster will of course paint an all is beautiful picture with Scottish football. These two getting punted would be a start for Scottish football to move forward.

psych
06-12-2017, 08:50 PM

And you have no idea that any player coming in would hit the ground running. It cant be stressed how important the next few months are in United's history. We are not good enough to let go a player who is on the verge of hitting the form that will make a difference in this division.

duke_the_arab
06-12-2017, 09:04 PM
And you have no idea that any player coming in would hit the ground running. It cant be stressed how important the next few months are in United's history. We are not good enough to let go a player who is on the verge of hitting the form that will make a difference in this division.

This^^^^^^

arab_pat
06-12-2017, 10:14 PM

Verge of hitting good form or verge of yet another longer term injury which has plagued his entire career. If we were offered 6-700K for him I’d take in a heartbeat as long as it went towards 1 or 2 crucial players. Although ray left a good base for Csaba, he still needs to make this his own team and he needs funds to do that.

LSArab
06-12-2017, 10:45 PM
At our level there is a severe limit to who we can bring in that will be any good mid season

We don’t have leagues below us to pick from

We are looking mostly for someone cast off from a bigger club. They tend to be available at end of season

Loans would be best and usually its contacts rather than spending moment that attract them

I don’t think we’d get that type of money and even so what would be the cost if we don’t get promoted

We have a squad that can be good enough. Keep it together, add one or two but don’t let the talent that might win us games leave

Sutherland Arab
06-12-2017, 10:49 PM
If Fraser and Robson want to sign pre-contracts that's up to them.
However I would like the club to take a stance that any key player will not be sold because the cost of being in this league another season will far outweigh any short term financial gain.
While they are in contract they have a job to do and that's to help us gain promotion.
It is only speculation though and it's become a free for all around this time regarding our players. Wonder why?