PDA

View Full Version : lets stand back and take a look at Rotherham United

zouch
24-12-2017, 10:47 AM
As Footy fans we generally view life in extremes. Win one week it’s automatic promotion for defo! playoffs as a minimum, lose a game and we are ferhooked. Manager tactically inept no experience, players not playing for the shirt, shambles etc.

Last season two team were out of their depth one was ickle Rovrum and the other was Sunderland. Take a look at Sunderland for a reference position)
We have a rookie manager which we want to get shut everytime we lose (at least according to some) and players who are bargain basement buys.

The difference between Rotherham and Sunderland is that we have started to address our infrastructure. Our recruitment is seemingly better our training facilities are improving and there appears more structure to the management team. with people who have their heart and sole in the club.

Compare this to when Alan Stubbs joined us, he made some poor decisions for sure but as the infrastructure was not in place the whole club collapsed. He carried the can for a football club build on sand. A convenient scape goat to hide all things wrong with the club.
We appointed (eventually) Warny who had a suicidal job But, had the backing of one man.

Fast track to this season – we got our pride back (compare to Sunderland) and we have still a manager who is learning the job. He will make mistakes, he will call tactics wrong and say some silly things to the press. He will get through because he is delivering on a realistic expectation and because of his passion for the club and his honesty will buy him time. Frankly I can more than take his mistakes but overall he is doing a great job. There is no one I would rather have managing my team. Of yes and he is a nice guy with a strong sense of values unlike previous managers.

And by the way a manager organizes the resources and talents available to him – he doesn’t make the mistakes our defense does or miss penalties, nor line up our defense in a set play in the middle of a game. Where is the coaching i hear on this board? Coaching will not turn our players into world beaters overnight. Coaching gives the edge to mature players and teaches better decision to younger players and will bring out their talents as they are maturing. But it will take time, coaching’s benefit is seen over the longer term and not match by match. Coaching is not a solution to a limited amount of talent or bad attitudes.

However, I have seen a very young defense with players with obvious talents become more organised and more stable. Yes they still give me the heebygeebies every game but there is improvement. They arn’t up to the job yet but I am probably seeing enough to say in time these players can be good. The role of the manager here is make a stick or twist call on the talent we have. Warny is looking for CB which again gives me confidence. Unlike Clopp for instance.

Some of our players last season were so out of their depth it was embarassing but this year they becoming ‘must play’ players eg Taylor, Vaulks,. This does not happen by accident.

Our progress cannot be done in one season there were some big fixes to make with our infrastructure – I see progress. There are some big fixes to make with our playing staff – there is progress there as well. We were never going to bounce back after last season in fact we were more likely to go down again but my club responded very well and we have got our pride back. I look forward to going to New York even though I know it will be frustrating. The next few transfer window will be important but we dotn have unlimited funds must never spend beyond our means again and if that means that we miss out on the likes of K Moore then so be it. but i groan when i hear we a bargain basement club we are not we are looking like a club that balances ambition with realistic income. All of this time our manager is learning his new trade, our young players are getting experience Rotherham are slowly (SLLOOOOWWWWLLLLY building back again) THIS IS GREAT!

I hate to see the calls for a new manager when we lose as if a new manager will give our players 5 years of instant experience. I hate to hear getting shut of players because of a bad game, I have seen enough talent that is worthy of investing time in. I am convinced Rotherham are learning from their mistakes and whist this does not guarantee success it says it’s a promising time to be a Miller………..again.

Happy Christmas everyone and a winning new year.

caytonmiller
24-12-2017, 11:01 AM
Wow

redhouse
24-12-2017, 11:41 AM
Well said zouch :)

millmoormagic
24-12-2017, 12:34 PM
As Footy fans we generally view life in extremes. Win one week it’s automatic promotion for defo! playoffs as a minimum, lose a game and we are ferhooked. Manager tactically inept no experience, players not playing for the shirt, shambles etc.

Last season two team were out of their depth one was ickle Rovrum and the other was Sunderland. Take a look at Sunderland for a reference position)
We have a rookie manager which we want to get shut everytime we lose (at least according to some) and players who are bargain basement buys.

The difference between Rotherham and Sunderland is that we have started to address our infrastructure. Our recruitment is seemingly better our training facilities are improving and there appears more structure to the management team. with people who have their heart and sole in the club.

Compare this to when Alan Stubbs joined us, he made some poor decisions for sure but as the infrastructure was not in place the whole club collapsed. He carried the can for a football club build on sand. A convenient scape goat to hide all things wrong with the club.
We appointed (eventually) Warny who had a suicidal job But, had the backing of one man.

Fast track to this season – we got our pride back (compare to Sunderland) and we have still a manager who is learning the job. He will make mistakes, he will call tactics wrong and say some silly things to the press. He will get through because he is delivering on a realistic expectation and because of his passion for the club and his honesty will buy him time. Frankly I can more than take his mistakes but overall he is doing a great job. There is no one I would rather have managing my team. Of yes and he is a nice guy with a strong sense of values unlike previous managers.

And by the way a manager organizes the resources and talents available to him – he doesn’t make the mistakes our defense does or miss penalties, nor line up our defense in a set play in the middle of a game. Where is the coaching i hear on this board? Coaching will not turn our players into world beaters overnight. Coaching gives the edge to mature players and teaches better decision to younger players and will bring out their talents as they are maturing. But it will take time, coaching’s benefit is seen over the longer term and not match by match. Coaching is not a solution to a limited amount of talent or bad attitudes.

However, I have seen a very young defense with players with obvious talents become more organised and more stable. Yes they still give me the heebygeebies every game but there is improvement. They arn’t up to the job yet but I am probably seeing enough to say in time these players can be good. The role of the manager here is make a stick or twist call on the talent we have. Warny is looking for CB which again gives me confidence. Unlike Clopp for instance.

Some of our players last season were so out of their depth it was embarassing but this year they becoming ‘must play’ players eg Taylor, Vaulks,. This does not happen by accident.

Our progress cannot be done in one season there were some big fixes to make with our infrastructure – I see progress. There are some big fixes to make with our playing staff – there is progress there as well. We were never going to bounce back after last season in fact we were more likely to go down again but my club responded very well and we have got our pride back. I look forward to going to New York even though I know it will be frustrating. The next few transfer window will be important but we dotn have unlimited funds must never spend beyond our means again and if that means that we miss out on the likes of K Moore then so be it. but i groan when i hear we a bargain basement club we are not we are looking like a club that balances ambition with realistic income. All of this time our manager is learning his new trade, our young players are getting experience Rotherham are slowly (SLLOOOOWWWWLLLLY building back again) THIS IS GREAT!

I hate to see the calls for a new manager when we lose as if a new manager will give our players 5 years of instant experience. I hate to hear getting shut of players because of a bad game, I have seen enough talent that is worthy of investing time in. I am convinced Rotherham are learning from their mistakes and whist this does not guarantee success it says it’s a promising time to be a Miller………..again.

Happy Christmas everyone and a winning new year.

Post of the year for me fella, great stuff!

loyalmiller
24-12-2017, 04:27 PM
What a brilliant well thought out post. Agree 100%

Townerslovechild
24-12-2017, 04:30 PM
Great post my friend,but you won`t last long on here !

PeteWaller
24-12-2017, 06:43 PM
Disagree and sounds more like a family member drumming up support for a lost cause.

From where we were, we are a team playing pub football in a pub league with a pub manager, pub manager assistants, pub players, pub training facilities. Yet there are still those who believe in and follow the messiah. Continue to pay your hard earned cash and enjoy your time in the mid table mediocrity called Rotherham United.

Masbroughstreet
24-12-2017, 07:14 PM
Great post zouch, agree completely.

one_a_day
24-12-2017, 07:18 PM
Well said Pete. These young players we’ve got will never be championship standard so we’re not really moving forwards are we.

zouch
24-12-2017, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the positive feedback and the challenge, it looks there are two polarised positions here.

Pete et al, what should be our expectations for RUFC and taking for granted that this is much better than where we are at the moment, if you were CEO of RUFC what would you do to change a pub club into meeting these expectations.

rolymiller
24-12-2017, 11:34 PM
You are a monkey warney with yer Xmas messages to the fans.

BigLadonOS
25-12-2017, 12:33 AM
Where is the like button.

Casper64Frank
25-12-2017, 08:54 AM
@ zouch,

PeteWaller and others will come back with the usual "Speculate to Accumulate "
That is is the most overused proverb I've heard for a long time, it's also a misnomer.
He's wanting to speculate with someone else's cash to satisfy his needs to get back to Championship.
Speculate to Accumulate outcome is highly uncertain.
Wigan tried it with Bogle.
Preston North End tried it and ended up £8M in the red.
The club need to get the long term strategy right before Speculating.

PeteWaller
25-12-2017, 09:49 AM
If people are happy to spend their Saturdays and pay whatever they do on watching this standard of football let them.
For me, the product and that is what it is, is poor value for money.
Stewart himself in one of his many Radio DeeDar gaffs more or less said that fans can take it or leave it. He's not bothered whether you pay to watch or stay away. His message was clear. Fans paying to watch RUFC hardly make a jot of difference to the finances of the club. He alone spends more on the club than the rest of us put together. Unfortunately he doesn't appear to have the money to support a Championship status and it must be obvious to the most ardent happy clapper that the well is dry. There is no money. Does any fan think we are capable of reaching the play offs? Really? The top 4 or 5 budget doesn't appear to be to support a challenge to promotion, more like paying off previously made poor decisions.

I do want us to speculate to the extent of investing heavily in youth because (and I have said it countless times) it is the only way we will ever have a chance of sustaining Championship football at the NYS. Without it we are only capable of L1 and L2 football. That's no longer good enough for me. I don't want to watch that level of football any more.

I was once a massive happy clapper. No more. RUFC in my blood no longer works. The diabolical way we surrendered our players and position in the Championship saw to that. I can't get over that and when I'm sat there at NYS not caring whether they win or lose, it's time to move on. If we win or lose, it simply doesn't matter, we are going absolutely nowhere. Who wants to go nowhere?

millmoormagic
25-12-2017, 10:03 AM
Pete, if RUFC is "no longer in your blood" then why do you care? why do you constantly post your negative thoughts on here?

I will never get people with opinions like you, as a supporter your job is to support, let me put it this way, if the club was being run into the ground, if it was obviously going to the dogs and being starved of cash, then you might, just might have a point, it quite blatantly isn't, the club is cutting it's cloth accordingly and is doing ok at the moment, no dramas, in the championship we're a small club, and for me TS did the correct thing in not chasing the dream, i'd rather be able to watch my team for years to come rather than it go bust, again.

Pocket rocket
25-12-2017, 10:11 AM
It’s a difficult one isn’t it?

I can see both view points.
I can understand Petes frustration at what happened last season it was terrible for the fans.
Also I can understand his viewpoint on the long term planning of the club seems to be a bit mish mash at the moment.

Also can see that we’re trying to stabilise at the moment and cut our cloth accordingly which makes sense and as pointed out by MMM we don’t want to go bust and need a club to support longer term.

People are different and look at things different still want the same thing for our club though.

Merry Christmas Pete,MMM and Casper let’s not have a row on Christmas Day.

UTM

animallittle3
25-12-2017, 10:45 AM
You have to generate income from finding undervalued talent and selling them on for a profit and repeat .

There is no sugar daddy , you don't attract huge attendances , the advertising , sponsorship and tv revenue is minimal .

Guys , it's the only way .

tom12026
25-12-2017, 12:05 PM
I thought -look at all these saddos being on here on chtristmas day and then of course I thought derr!.;)
seasons greetings to one and all.:heart:

Casper64Frank
26-12-2017, 07:40 AM
Pete, if RUFC is "no longer in your blo
od" then why do you care? why do you constantly post your negative thoughts on here.

I don't consider them to be negative thoughts from Pete.
He's saying it as he feels.
If people had listened to Tony Stewart and the three shareholders just after Rotherham Council literally begged them to set up a deal a few days before going under then he could have kept an open mind for the future.
The club, manager and players have not promised anything, all TS has to do is temper some of his remarks.
It's one thing being ambitious and quite another being over ambitious and unable to deliver.
He's interpreted the Radio Sheffield interview differently to me.

I will be at Bury supporting my team.

U.T.M.

sota
26-12-2017, 08:14 AM
50 years from now... we're in the 3rd tier of English football... the stadium needs a few licks of paint, there's the odd roof leak, Tony Stewart's statue needs polishing and Wednesday are about 15 places above us. Let's hope we're all here to moan about it.
Merry Christmas xx

jocksgloves
26-12-2017, 09:53 AM
This seems just like a normal season for us. Moaning about the situation on here doesn't make you more of a fan. If it's to much of a chore watcing, find another hobby.

sota
26-12-2017, 10:07 AM
Like what? Playing guitar, saddo.

gwru
26-12-2017, 10:34 AM
Way to look at it if like me your a fan of RUFC not the chairman or manager. We've got a club, we're not in debt. In with a chance of the play-offs. Got a chairman even with his OTT quotes has done more for this club than any other we've had. Though I didn't mind Boothy.

mellowmiller
26-12-2017, 11:07 AM
50 years from now... we're in the 3rd tier of English football... the stadium needs a few licks of paint, there's the odd roof leak, Tony Stewart's statue needs polishing and Wednesday are about 15 places above us. Let's hope we're all here to moan about it.
Merry Christmas xx

Well I'll be 119 so not sure I'll care 😊

mygiddypant
26-12-2017, 05:34 PM
If people are happy to spend their Saturdays and pay whatever they do on watching this standard of football let them.
For me, the product and that is what it is, is poor value for money.
Stewart himself in one of his many Radio DeeDar gaffs more or less said that fans can take it or leave it. He's not bothered whether you pay to watch or stay away. His message was clear. Fans paying to watch RUFC hardly make a jot of difference to the finances of the club. He alone spends more on the club than the rest of us put together. Unfortunately he doesn't appear to have the money to support a Championship status and it must be obvious to the most ardent happy clapper that the well is dry. There is no money. Does any fan think we are capable of reaching the play offs? Really? The top 4 or 5 budget doesn't appear to be to support a challenge to promotion, more like paying off previously made poor decisions.

I do want us to speculate to the extent of investing heavily in youth because (and I have said it countless times) it is the only way we will ever have a chance of sustaining Championship football at the NYS. Without it we are only capable of L1 and L2 football. That's no longer good enough for me. I don't want to watch that level of football any more.

I was once a massive happy clapper. No more. RUFC in my blood no longer works. The diabolical way we surrendered our players and position in the Championship saw to that. I can't get over that and when I'm sat there at NYS not caring whether they win or lose, it's time to move on. If we win or lose, it simply doesn't matter, we are going absolutely nowhere. Who wants to go nowhere?

1. If you don't like the "product" don't consume it.
2. TS has to be pragmatic with the finances available. What's your preference? Some foreign consortium/owner that fecks it up and then fecks off? We are a not particularly good or particularly bad club with a history of mediocrity. What do you imagine is so special about RUFC that makes your imaginary investors want to pump cash into a club with a low fan base?
2. What exactly does "investing in youth" mean? I can't imagine there's any fan of any club who doesn't share that sentiment, but where does this group of youths come from? If you're 12/14/16 and showing potential which has been recognised by Leeds, Sheff Wed, Sheff U and Rotherham, where would Rotherham sit in your preferences? Please explain how your policy of investing in youth leads us to the promised land of sustained Champship football.
5. Repeat point 1.

PeteWaller
26-12-2017, 06:23 PM
Youth - I have done so ad nausium - look it up.

1. Done that too. I have stopped going

Other point - you don’t have to be foreign to buy a club and take it nowhere. If you are enjoying the product good for you. Would you enjoy the product equally as much in L2 for example?

I want more and so I get it elsewhere. Nothing against you for supporting the team no matter what. It’s called choice. Time is precious and how I choose to spend mine is not up to you, fortunately, it’s up to me. So don’t bother trying to tell me what to do That’s the premise of MMM who stalks me 😜

zouch
26-12-2017, 06:26 PM
I’ve no issue with Pete et al’s views he has every right to his opinion, as he says you make your choice and deal with it. My issue is that there isn’t any reasoned argument you can use against it, its just a conversation spoiler and detracts from the debate the rest of us would like to engage in. if individuals have truly given up on RUFC then leave the rest of to it. I think most of are realistic enough to understand we are a league 1 club with good years (championship) and bad years (League 2) nothing is certain and this is why we keep going.

The point about youth is absolutely right but too simplistic, very hard to argue against but as Mygiddypant suggests we are in competition with all the local and arguably best placed teams than us and there isn’t a limitless supply.

We may moan about our club and we don’t have any right to success but there is no doubt we are committed to our ambition. We just have to learn how to get it.

Great win today.

caytonmiller
26-12-2017, 06:27 PM
I thought he stalked kempoo? Peter

pip_y
26-12-2017, 07:36 PM
Well after the poor run who in all honesty expected 10 out of 12 from the last 4 games?

PeteWaller
26-12-2017, 10:50 PM
Thanx Pocket. Hope you had a great Xmas and you have a fab 2018.

Same to every Miller

millmoormagic
26-12-2017, 10:56 PM
Youth - I have done so ad nausium - look it up.

1. Done that too. I have stopped going

Other point - you don’t have to be foreign to buy a club and take it nowhere. If you are enjoying the product good for you. Would you enjoy the product equally as much in L2 for example?

I want more and so I get it elsewhere. Nothing against you for supporting the team no matter what. It’s called choice. Time is precious and how I choose to spend mine is not up to you, fortunately, it’s up to me. So don’t bother trying to tell me what to do That’s the premise of MMM who stalks me ��

So, to summarise, you no longer pay to watch 'your' team, but continue to criticise it, on a message board designed for those who 'support' their team, Pete, you're a t*sspot, stop posting your negative bull because frankly your opinion isn't really valid is it? you don't really support the club, and never have, you've used it as a vehicle for your controlling mindset basically.

By the way, your "look it up" comment kind of sums you up.

Casper64Frank
26-12-2017, 11:14 PM
Thanx Pocket. Hope you had a great Xmas and you have a fab 2018.

Same to every Miller

Pete,
Martin Luther King Jnr....

"We must accept finite disappointment but never lose infinite hope".

Keep taking the happy pills Pete, who knows 3 or 4 seasons into the future you may want to climb back aboard the rollercoaster.....or perhaps not..lol.
Leave the "diehard " stuff to me and a couple of thousand others lol.

You & your family have a good 2018,

take care....keep in touch.

PeteWaller
27-12-2017, 12:29 AM
So, to summarise, you no longer pay to watch 'your' team, but continue to criticise it, on a message board designed for those who 'support' their team, Pete, you're a t*sspot, stop posting your negative bull because frankly your opinion isn't really valid is it? you don't really support the club, and never have, you've used it as a vehicle for your controlling mindset basically.

By the way, your "look it up" comment kind of sums you up.

I am still a season ticket holder.

You are the biggest tosser on here. Have a ****e life

PeteWaller
27-12-2017, 12:32 AM
Pete,
Martin Luther King Jnr....

"We must accept finite disappointment but never lose infinite hope".

Keep taking the happy pills Pete, who knows 3 or 4 seasons into the future you may want to climb back aboard the rollercoaster.....or perhaps not..lol.
Leave the "diehard " stuff to me and a couple of thousand others lol.

You & your family have a good 2018,

take care....keep in touch.

Cheers Graham. We will.

Al;l the best to you and yours and I'll see you again no doubt. Just keep MMM in check for the sake of all who remain on here. He really is the biggest rsole to frequent this board. Sad little man

millmoormagic
27-12-2017, 05:46 AM
Seems the truth hurts, the only sad man here is the one moaning like f*ck about a team he doesn't even watch play on a message board about said team, what a w*nker.

PeteWaller
27-12-2017, 10:27 AM
Seems the truth hurts, the only sad man here is the one moaning like f*ck about a team he doesn't even watch play on a message board about said team, what a w*nker.

You come on this board more times than the aggregate of the next top 3 posters. You groom new posters into thinking you are ok, providing their comments agree with your own. The minute a poster says something you disagree with you continually hound any of their postings, misquoting what they have said. You saddo.

This board has lost a few good posters thanks to the like of you.

Luckily for me I have a life outside of and independent of RUFC and this board .. ............ unlike you.

So big man I am going to post a challenge which I believe you will not accept, can't accept and will spout god knows what to justify why you wont accept.

See new Posting

millertop
27-12-2017, 12:02 PM
Great thread where we have different opinions but get abused.

For me I still live in hope we get promoted whether that’s a good thing or not.
I still go and watch all Home and most away (my choice) I say what I see at the game good or bad.
I praise and moan on here (yes probs mainly moan)

In my honest opinion we are still far from excellent.

PeteWaller
27-12-2017, 12:30 PM
Great thread where we have different opinions but get abused.

For me I still live in hope we get promoted whether that’s a good thing or not.
I still go and watch all Home and most away (my choice) I say what I see at the game good or bad.
I praise and moan on here (yes probs mainly moan)

In my honest opinion we are still far from excellent.

You have RUFC in your blood forever MT and good on you for having so. All the best and I hope you continue to enjoy the Millers for many years to come. Same to Pocket, Casper, Mellow and many others of course.

WanChaiMiller
27-12-2017, 12:31 PM
I remember the summer of '97 when Ronnie took over. We'd finished the previous season towards the bottom of div 4 with an average gate of less than 3,000. Fans come and go and our fortunes change. Since, under both Booth and Stewart, we made it to the Championship. Great aspiring to these hieghts but I suspect the finiancial reality scared them both off.

millertop
27-12-2017, 01:40 PM
You have RUFC in your blood forever MT and good on you for having so. All the best and I hope you continue to enjoy the Millers for many years to come. Same to Pocket, Casper, Mellow and many others of course.

Cheers Pete, I do have my moments when it spills at the game (last one was Barnsley) maybe you need some of what ever Warney puts in his coffee :)

sota
27-12-2017, 04:08 PM
This seems just like a normal season for us. Moaning about the situation on here doesn't make you more of a fan. If it's to much of a chore watcing, find another hobby.

Like what? playing guitar, saddo.

Seeing as this thread has descended into a load of abuse, I'd just like to clarify that my above comment is a joke to my mate Jocks who is almost as good at guitar as he was as a goalkeeper. He's not replied yet, he must be too busy practising ;-)

mellowmiller
27-12-2017, 04:47 PM
Like what? playing guitar, saddo.

Seeing as this thread has descended into a load of abuse, I'd just like to clarify that my above comment is a joke to my mate Jocks who is almost as good at guitar as he was as a goalkeeper. He's not replied yet, he must be too busy practising ;-)

Must be difficult to play a guitar wearing gloves........

frogmiller
27-12-2017, 06:52 PM
Must be difficult to play a guitar wearing gloves........

Harder in mittens XD