PDA

View Full Version : ABERDEEN v Partick Thistle

RED_JOHN
26-12-2017, 09:26 AM
It will be interesting to see how we set up against Partick Thistle at Pittodrie.
A match we are clearly expected to win so the pressure is on us to take the game to them.
3 points Del...nothing less.

RedStarTorphins
26-12-2017, 12:25 PM
It will be interesting to see how we set up against Partick Thistle at Pittodrie.
A match we are clearly expected to win so the pressure is on us to take the game to them.

Assuming all fit I think DM will go with a 4-2-3-1;

Lewis
Logan Arnason McKenna Shinnie
O’Connor McLean
Stewart Christie GMS
Rooney

Subs; Rogers, Considine, Reynolds, Ball, Ross, Wright, Maynard.

Feck_the_Huns
26-12-2017, 12:27 PM

Back to the tried and tested formation, I'd have thought. Only issues appear to be an injury to captain Shinnie, that negated his influence in the 2nd half on saturday, and whether Logan has recovered from his weekend sickness bug. May out till after the winter shutdown

Lewis

Logan/Ball
Arnie
McKenna
Considine

Shinnie/O'Connor
McLean

GMS
Christie
Stewart

Rooney

Thistle are a decent side on their day but make no mistake, they are up here to defend for their lifes and a point would be a massive scoop for them, so lets pick up where we left off v Hibs a week past saturday

afc1903mad
26-12-2017, 12:57 PM
COME ON YOU REDS!!!!!

No doubt they’ll park the bus and look to hit on the counter.
I’m confident we’ll pick them off and win though.

sheepcrooky
26-12-2017, 02:42 PM
Assuming all fit I think DM will go with a 4-2-3-1;

Lewis
Logan Arnason McKenna Shinnie
O’Connor McLean
Stewart Christie GMS
Rooney

Subs; Rogers, Considine, Reynolds, Ball, Ross, Wright, Maynard.

I would definitely take that team. Think that would give us a comfortable win.

mondo_notion
26-12-2017, 02:57 PM
How about starting Maynard? Give him 60 or so minutes to convince us he's worth keeping. We can hardly tell a lot about the player from the odd 5 or 10 minutes he has played so far.

andoplzcumbak
26-12-2017, 03:34 PM
How long is May out for?

Jupiter
26-12-2017, 03:39 PM
Why isn't this game being played this afternoon. Seems daft playing it on Wednesday night.

Aldo1983
26-12-2017, 04:19 PM
3-0 us

Joey_Harper
26-12-2017, 04:30 PM
I expect Scott Wright to start, he’s done well against them the last couple of games.

Hopefully Logan and McKenna are fit again too. Ball, Considine and Reynolds to make way for these 3 with either Stewart or Mackay-Steven missing out to get Christie back in.

2-0 us

RED_JOHN
26-12-2017, 05:49 PM
My team to face Partick

Lewis
Logan
Shinnie
Arnason
McKenna
GMS
Stewart
Christie
Ross
Wright
Rooney

My guess at Del’s team
Lewis
Logan
Considine
McKenna
Arnason
O’Conner
McLean
Shinnie
Christie
Rooney
GMS

donsman
26-12-2017, 05:57 PM
My team to face Partick

Lewis
Logan
Shinnie
Arnason
McKenna
GMS
Stewart
Christie
Ross
Wright
Rooney

My guess at Del’s team
Lewis
Logan
Considine
McKenna
Arnason
O’Conner
McLean
Shinnie
Christie
Rooney
GMS

Just the four wingers?

Pacman1903
26-12-2017, 07:50 PM
In/Oot - Oot

Furryboots - Mid air

Pre-Flying to Paris

Post-Flying to Luanda

Prediction- 0-0

Side note Alan Archibald was sitting next to Mason and Me at Dumbarton today.

RED_JOHN
26-12-2017, 10:00 PM
Just the four wingers?

We could certainly play more attacking and go 4-4-2 (or very similar 4-4-1-1) or a 4-3-3. Plenty options to create opportunities. 4-2-3-1 is not a formation you could play with these players but who cares...I want my team to score goals and entertain the paying public. :p

RED_JOHN
26-12-2017, 10:02 PM

Should have quizzed him about tommorow evening and get the info to Del asap...he will need all the help he can get ! :p

Pacman1903
26-12-2017, 10:06 PM
Should have quizzed him about tommorow evening and get the info to Del asap...he will need all the help he can get ! :p

I would love to know if he was scouting someone as i wouldnt have a clue who it was. Hopefully Christian Nade

Getintaethem
26-12-2017, 10:20 PM
My team to face Partick

Lewis
Logan
Shinnie
Arnason
McKenna
GMS
Stewart
Christie
Ross
Wright
Rooney

And people complain about DM team lottery.

What formation would they play? Looks like a 4-0-6... miss out the midfield altogether then.

afc1903mad
26-12-2017, 10:57 PM

Are you In or Oot Red_John?

In - South Stand
Pre - Driving
Post - Driving
Prediction - 2-0

Aldo1983
27-12-2017, 07:19 AM

dons8321
27-12-2017, 08:20 AM
In - Merkland
Pre - Just about to leave to get first of 3 trains (weather permitting - snowing heavily in this part of England)
Post - beers in town
Prediction - 3-1

RED_JOHN
27-12-2017, 10:18 AM
Are you In or Oot Red_John?

Until our manager leaves the premises or he decides not to cheat the fans and have a go then count me out. I refuse to pay towards his wage. :p

blowupsheep
27-12-2017, 10:24 AM
In/Oot - Oot

Furryboots - The Sand Pit of Abu Dhabi
Pre- Working
Post- Sleeping

Prediction- 4-0 the dons Christie, GMS (2), Rooney

COYR
Stand Free!!!

afc1903mad
27-12-2017, 10:26 AM
Until our manager leaves the premises or he decides not to cheat the fans and have a go then count me out. I refuse to pay towards his wage. :p

In other words, a keyboard warrior.

afc1903mad
27-12-2017, 10:31 AM
And people complain about DM team lottery.

What formation would they play? Looks like a 4-0-6... miss out the midfield altogether then.
I also think this team would end up tripping over each other.
The opposition would have so much space to play through us.

Must be a 4-1-4-1 formation.

I wonder if RJ tried this out on CHampionship MANAGER.

That said, Ross would play CM so that’s a load to put on his shoulders

Goalposter
27-12-2017, 10:39 AM
How about starting Maynard? Give him 60 or so minutes to convince us he's worth keeping. We can hardly tell a lot about the player from the odd 5 or 10 minutes he has played so far.
Mondo

Been saying exqctly the same thing n donstalk.

Since rooney has been ****e this season why not?

5 goals in 17 hours.

mondo_notion
27-12-2017, 11:20 AM
Mondo

Been saying exqctly the same thing n donstalk.

Since rooney has been ****e this season why not?

5 goals in 17 hours.

Can't do any harm. Give the loon a chance I say. Rooney's always on the bench if we need to change.

In/Oot - Oot
Furryboots - Camping villasol, benidorm surrounded by unhealthy English o.a.p's (It's the way I roll)
Pre - Double checking the wi-fi is up to speed
Post - On the beers somewhere
Prediction - 3-0 maynard scores 2 with one being an over-head bicycle kick half volleyed header.

Mon i dons

bigj
27-12-2017, 11:58 AM
Can't do any harm. Give the loon a chance I say. Rooney's always on the bench if we need to change.

In/Oot - Oot
Furryboots - Camping villasol, benidorm surrounded by unhealthy English o.a.p's (It's the way I roll)
Pre - Double checking the wi-fi is up to speed
Post - On the beers somewhere
Prediction - 3-0 maynard scores 2 with one being an over-head bicycle kick half volleyed header.

Mon i dons

In
Archibald Simpsons
Home
ticket office busy this morning looks like it'll be a decent crowd

andoplzcumbak
27-12-2017, 12:19 PM
Oot
Pre: At Waverley helping aw yer auld yins get back home as they're desperately dumped by sons and daughters (it's really sad to see!)

Prediction: 2-0 us Shinnie daisy cutter and Consi heeder.

COYR!

BorneoRed
27-12-2017, 01:24 PM

Ah...the true Aberdeen fan. Your quote is an absolute disgrace.

PittodriePile
27-12-2017, 02:14 PM
Why isn't this game being played this afternoon. Seems daft playing it on Wednesday night.

Seems way more daft to suggest games should be played on Tuesday afternoons... Spare a thought for the 9-5 work crew.

-----------

In/Oot - In

Furryboots - South Y

Pre - Work and then pints

Post - Home

Prediction - AFC win

RED_JOHN
27-12-2017, 03:04 PM
Ah...the true Aberdeen fan. Your quote is an absolute disgrace.

Not as disgraceful as sending a team out on the park to muster up 1 shot on target all match though.
When we set out a team to win ALL our matches give me a shout....I don’t otherwise do cheating! :)

Jupiter
27-12-2017, 03:08 PM
Seems way more daft to suggest games should be played on Tuesday afternoons... Spare a thought for the 9-5 work crew.

-----------

Yesterday was Boxing Day. Did you not know it was a holiday?

afc1903mad
27-12-2017, 03:11 PM
Not as disgraceful as sending a team out on the park to muster up 1 shot on target all match though.
When we set out a team to win ALL our matches give me a shout....I don’t otherwise do cheating! :)

Seems you do walking away though.............

RED_JOHN
27-12-2017, 03:19 PM
Seems you do walking away though.............

Wrong forum pal...try a Huns one. :p

afc1903mad
27-12-2017, 03:50 PM
Wrong forum pal...try a Huns one. :p

Lol, I’m not the one walking away ;)

Aldo1983
27-12-2017, 03:55 PM
I wish you two would **** up.

donsdaft
27-12-2017, 04:00 PM
Out (Budapest)

Pre - Pointerpub (I’m there now)
During - Supper then hunting for a stream
Post - Keeping out of Mrs Donsdaft’s way.

She’s sulking but won’t tell me why.

We’re in a “if you don’t know I’m not going to tell you “ situation.

I mean, why do women do this, I haven’t a clue.

Pacman1903
27-12-2017, 04:16 PM
Out (Budapest)

Pre - Pointerpub (I’m there now)
During - Supper then hunting for a stream
Post - Keeping out of Mrs Donsdaft’s way.

She’s sulking but won’t tell me why.

We’re in a “if you don’t know I’m not going to tell you “ situation.

I mean, why do women do this, I haven’t a clue.

XD

Nae laughing at your situation

Laughing at the wording

Every mans been there

Thank f@ck i dinna have that going on anymore

RED_JOHN
27-12-2017, 04:18 PM
Lol, I’m not the one walking away ;)

I will sit it out patiently (maybe not ) until the Messiah grows a set of balls. Good luck to the players though...they will need all the luck they can get whilst being restrained during matches.
Joking aside...it can’t be much fun playing football nowadays as the loan striker...you need to be really quick, have fantastic control, great in the air and super fit. What happened in football for some lunatic managers to sacrifice attacking players for defensive minded players? Poor Rooney stuck up on his tod and asked to produce a miracle (in certain games) to win us matches. Attack a lot more and he will score goals.

sheepcrooky
27-12-2017, 04:56 PM
I wish you two would **** up.

POTD. It’s getting boring now. Even for a forum which needs all the life it can get, it’s still getting playgroundesque.

PittodriePile
27-12-2017, 05:12 PM
Yesterday was Boxing Day. Did you not know it was a holiday?

Holiday for some...

Don_Corleone
27-12-2017, 05:22 PM
Lewis
Logan Arnason McKenna Harvey
Shinnie
GMS McLean Christie Stewart
Rooney

Wish we had another option instead of Rooney as he's off the boil - although this is the kind of game where we should have possession and chances so maybe it's the game he'll pop up with a goal or two. I'd like to see Wright and Ross getting a bit more time but think Del will stick with GMS and Stewart to build their confidence. I think he might give Harvey a chance at left back in a home game where we're likely to have much of the ball.

RedStarTorphins
27-12-2017, 06:56 PM
Starting X1

Lewis
Logan O’Connor McKenna Considine
McLean Shinnie
Stewart Christie GMS
Rooney

Subs: Rogers Arnason Ball Reynolds Harvie Wright Ross

Maynard not even on bench.
1 fit striker

thebeachend
27-12-2017, 07:11 PM
Starting X1

Lewis
Logan O’Connor McKenna Considine
McLean Shinnie
Stewart Christie GMS
Rooney

Subs: Rogers Arnason Ball Reynolds Harvie Wright Ross

Maynard not even on bench.
1 fit striker

but deemed good enough to come on at parkhead........can't make the 16 at home to lowly partick thistle. no sense in the the decision making

RedStarTorphins
27-12-2017, 07:13 PM
but deemed good enough to come on at parkhead........can't make the 16 at home to lowly partick thistle. no sense in the the decision making

He might be injured or ill.
I find it hard to believe he wouldn’t have a “striker” on the bench if available.

RED_JOHN
27-12-2017, 07:14 PM

Maynard could well be injured or ill. Why four defenders on the bench?

RED_JOHN
27-12-2017, 07:30 PM
Arnason and Ball, likewise O'C can be utilised in midfield / There is no-one else. We know the squad is uneven and lacking in midfield/wide options.

But this was rhetorical yes? You're just having a go, again. Bloody hell you tedious buggers have me (me!) defending DM choices...

Lol...what about Campbell? Maybe he is injured or ill also.

RED_JOHN
27-12-2017, 08:18 PM
Ball in the net after a corner but Rooney penalised for high feet

GMS switched flanks to left also for now

If still 0-0 at half time I would hope that Wright would be brought on as he has damaged Partick the last couple of times.

RedStarTorphins
27-12-2017, 08:33 PM
Dreadful stuff.
Unentertaining sh1te so far.
No strikers on bench either.

irnbru1903
27-12-2017, 08:35 PM
Dreadful stuff :P. Not much to warm the cockles on such a freezing evening.

RED_JOHN
27-12-2017, 08:35 PM
Dreadful stuff.

Was Rooney hard done with the goal chopped off?

RedStarTorphins
27-12-2017, 08:36 PM
Dreadful stuff.

And the style of play we have now (with no pace in the team and little crosses) is not for Rooney.
We need pace in to the team, desperately.

thebeachend
27-12-2017, 08:37 PM
Possession
Home64%Away36%
Shots
Home3Away3
Shots on Target
Home2Away1
Corners
Home2Away1
Fouls
Home7Away4

evensteven

irnbru1903
27-12-2017, 08:38 PM
To be fair we do have some nice touches which open the play up nicely. Then we balls it up by overthinking it.

RED_JOHN
27-12-2017, 08:38 PM
Dreadful stuff :P. Not much to warm the cockles on such a freezing evening.

Hopefully Scotty Wright can be brought on quickly. Partick Thistle have 9 (nine) players out tonight injured or ill.
C’mon Dons we should be doing better.

bpdon
27-12-2017, 08:40 PM
And the style of play we have now (with no pace in the team and little crosses) is not for Rooney.
We need pace in to the team, desperately.
It doesn't help that GMS and Christie have been so quiet. Rooney isn't linking up play the way that May can and he has had zip to work with delivered into the box.

bpdon
27-12-2017, 08:41 PM
Was Rooney hard done with the goal chopped off?

Looked harsh to me. Didn't see anything wrong with it but no Red TV replays of anything useful tonight it seems.

bpdon
27-12-2017, 08:43 PM
To be fair we do have some nice touches which open the play up nicely. Then we balls it up by overthinking it.

There has been one or two decent moves with some nice touches. But its all been in un-threatening areas in front of Partick. Other than Logans run that McLean picked out, we haven't been able to break their line and get behind them. Its all been too easy for Thistle so far.

RED_JOHN
27-12-2017, 08:44 PM
Looked harsh to me. Didn't see anything wrong with it but no replays of anything useful tonight it seems.

Thanks pal.
Willie Miller saying the ref blew the whistle before he knocked it in.

irnbru1903
27-12-2017, 08:48 PM
The person who picked the montage music for the kids goals needs shot...

Watching with the sound down as the commentary is slightly in front and very distracting.

Pacman1903
27-12-2017, 09:00 PM
How we playing?

Hairdrier
27-12-2017, 09:04 PM
1-0 Rooney yass

Mason89
27-12-2017, 09:05 PM
F*cking love Rooney

RED_JOHN
27-12-2017, 09:06 PM
Yaaaaas!!!

DollyLongstaffe
27-12-2017, 09:08 PM
Magic. COYFR.

Pacman1903
27-12-2017, 09:08 PM
Yaaaaas

andoplzcumbak
27-12-2017, 09:11 PM
Crackin crowd (14830) considering only 196 thistlers could be arsed coming up!

DollyLongstaffe
27-12-2017, 09:32 PM

Especially considering the weather.

irnbru1903
27-12-2017, 09:40 PM

Have we started counting differently because it doesn't look that big and it has been like that in a few games?

RED_JOHN
27-12-2017, 09:41 PM
Full time 1-0 :)

bpdon
27-12-2017, 09:41 PM
Christ that was grim viewing after Rooney bundled in the winning goal - we just stopped battling and mostly reverted to hoof ball instead of trying to play some passes and keep ball. Ahh well. 3 points.

RedStarTorphins
27-12-2017, 09:43 PM
F*cking love Rooney

The key is service.
He’s had precious little crosses to feed off.
No pace & no crosses = an ineffectual Rooney.

EintrachtFrankfurt
27-12-2017, 09:44 PM
3pts is all that matters at the end of the day what with sevco winning. COYR :star::star:

Hairdrier
27-12-2017, 10:07 PM
Good result.

COYR

sheepcrooky
27-12-2017, 10:24 PM
Christ that was brutal and freezing. Crowd didn’t look that big, but maybe we now count all ST holders as being present.

Thistle set out to stifle the game and snuff out our midfield. It certainly worked as we were playing long balls constantly.

We certainly kept battling and Rooney does what Rooney does.

Summer fitba anyone ?

RedStarTorphins
27-12-2017, 10:30 PM
This. I am confused by people who say he is finished. No different from the day we signed him.
Can't head, no particular skill, no pace. Akin to Shearer, Harper & likewise puts the ball in the back of the net.

Mason said it years ago - just set the whole team up around getting the ball to Rooney in the box.
9 times out of 10, he'll score. Roodawg:heart:

This is pure guesswork & based on purely a gut feeling, but I’d think Hayes & McGinn must’ve set up about 50% of his goals at the Dons.
The wide players put in less than half the crosses he used to get & we don’t play with the same pace, so defenders have more time to set up & defend properly.
F**k all to do with “Rooney being finished” IMO.
Purely the lack of service & style of play now.
We’d need a more mobile no.9 like Moult with the current wide men we have.

Feck_the_Huns
27-12-2017, 10:50 PM
Greg Stewart Sponsors Man of the Match? Chortle. Two or three bottles of festive wine, I think. I just don't see what he brings to the table. Poor again tonight

GMS never got going.

Christie, once again, good game and great vision to pick out Rooney for the winner. McLean, expect more from him

Defence was solid as a rock, but in saying that, Thistle were awful, not helped by missing 6 players tonight.

Onwards to the Hearts game. Will be physical. Not sure if Consi is struggling for that one but I'd expect us to revert to AOC in the midfield cover role, with Arnie and McKenna reunited

Goalposter
27-12-2017, 11:14 PM
Wouldn't Stewart Milne be a great striker in the 6 yard box as long as he gets the service?

afc1903mad
27-12-2017, 11:24 PM
Greg Stewart Sponsors Man of the Match? Chortle. Two or three bottles of festive wine, I think. I just don't see what he brings to the table. Poor again tonight

GMS never got going.

Christie, once again, good game and great vision to pick out Rooney for the winner. McLean, expect more from him

Defence was solid as a rock, but in saying that, Thistle were awful, not helped by missing 6 players tonight.

Onwards to the Hearts game. Will be physical. Not sure if Consi is struggling for that one but I'd expect us to revert to AOC in the midfield cover role, with Arnie and McKenna reunited

You watched a different game to me then.

Stewart was one of our better players.
McLean was buzzing and was all over the pitch
Christie was decent, but was trying to do too much himself, often over doing it.
Your right with GMS though, it was not his night.

Goalposter
27-12-2017, 11:25 PM
Parker
Goodwillie
Zola
Stockley
Burns
McGennis
Storey
Maynard

suggests otherwise...

Hardest skill in football consistently scoring. Rooney does. End of :P.

Consistently scoring?

U avin a larf???

6 goals in what nearly 18 hours of football suggests otherwise.

Not good enough sorry.

Feck_the_Huns
27-12-2017, 11:38 PM
You watched a different game to me then.

Stewart was one of our better players.
McLean was buzzing and was all over the pitch
Christie was decent, but was trying to do too much himself, often over doing it.
Your right with GMS though, it was not his night.

Ah well, one thing we agree on.

To a man and woman, all of us on the main stand side of the Merkie chortled when it came over the tannoy that GS was Sponsors MoTM. But I look on Twitter and on here, and folk think he did allright.

Opinions, aresholes etc etc

I think he's slower than a week in Craigie, and far far too ponderous when in possesion.

erchieplum
27-12-2017, 11:43 PM

GMS never got going.

I actually thought Stewart deserved MOTM tonight just shading Christie,there were good examples of close control and passing skill from a number of our players tonight plus our new obligatory back heeler attack technique on a night when the loudest noise from the stands was the collective teeth chattering. Thistle strangely still maintained their game plan of time wasting despite being a goal down. Shinnie avoided getting booked and 3 points into the bargain so its not all bad.
Was a tad worried that we may have yet another couple of players out for tarts game but hopefully they will be fit .I get the impression that the team are starting to gel as a unit now so hopefully onwards and upwards.

Aldo1983
27-12-2017, 11:46 PM
Parker
Goodwillie
Zola
Stockley
Burns
McGennis
Storey
Maynard

suggests otherwise...

100%

Every club wants a guy who scored a **** load of goals. We will take years finding another after Rooney.

Goalposter
27-12-2017, 11:52 PM
Consistently scoring?

U avin a larf???

Not good enough sorry.

100%

afc1903mad
28-12-2017, 12:07 AM
I actually thought Stewart deserved MOTM tonight just shading Christie,there were good examples of close control and passing skill from a number of our players tonight plus our new obligatory back heeler attack technique on a night when the loudest noise from the stands was the collective teeth chattering. Thistle strangely still maintained their game plan of time wasting despite being a goal down. Shinnie avoided getting booked and 3 points into the bargain so its not all bad.
Was a tad worried that we may have yet another couple of players out for tarts game but hopefully they will be fit .I get the impression that the team are starting to gel as a unit now so hopefully onwards and upwards.
I agree, thought he just shaded it too.

Reckon the Hearts game will be a tough bore fest of a 0-0 draw

Landvetter83
28-12-2017, 12:11 AM
Best advert for summer football you can get!

That was f@@king miserable.

Still. 3 points. GTBI.

ragnarok
28-12-2017, 12:49 AM
Parker
Goodwillie
Zola
Stockley
Burns
McGennis
Storey
Maynard

suggests otherwise...

As Johan Cruyff once said of Filippo Inzaghi "he can't actually play football at all, he's just always in the right position".

But then Milan were brimming with world class talent. Rooney is a luxury we can afford against weaker teams but he's probably not the sort of player we need against Celtic at Parkhead. But as you point out, McInnes has tried to sign a different kind of striker on several occasions whether it's a target an or a tireless worker who plays in the channels and none of those signings have worked out.

Goalposter
28-12-2017, 12:57 AM
We are tight ****ers thats why.

We can afford a better striker.

Get one.

Club has no ambition.

Dm trying different cheap options is just plastering over the fact that Rooney isn't banging them in.

I blame him..the lack of service..dm and the boatd.

Its ****e really.

Hewitt_Scores
28-12-2017, 01:19 AM
100%

Every club wants a guy who scored a **** load of goals. We will take years finding another after Rooney.

This x 100

He has limitations, but we have criedrout for this type of player for years.

thebeachend
28-12-2017, 06:02 AM

Now Reynolds and Ball used rather than Harvie and Ross. youngsters thought preferable for der hun at Pittodrie, but not Thistle. I wonder why it's the only game ever he has introduced youngsters and early in the game. you would think he was for the off......normal service resumed. Bring on the championship / league one sackings.

afc1903mad
28-12-2017, 08:07 AM
Now Reynolds and Ball used rather than Harvie and Ross. youngsters thought preferable for der hun at Pittodrie, but not Thistle. I wonder why it's the only game ever he has introduced youngsters and early in the game. you would think he was for the off......normal service resumed. Bring on the championship / league one sackings.

Yet McKenna (another youngster) has been given his chance and has taken it.

The game was tight and needed closing out.
I fully understand why he opted for a more defensive and experienced choice of Reynolds and Ball over Harvie and Ross.

Considine looked like he picked up a very heavy knock.
He was limping badly.
It will be interesting to see if he recovers or not.

One of DM’s flaws is that he does not promote youth, however he does have a good record of closing out games and securing the points.
This is what he ultimately is measured against.

thebeachend
28-12-2017, 08:31 AM
Yet McKenna (another youngster) has been given his chance and has taken it.

The game was tight and needed closing out.
I fully understand why he opted for a more defensive and experienced choice of Reynolds and Ball over Harvie and Ross.

Considine looked like he picked up a very heavy knock.
He was limping badly.
It will be interesting to see if he recovers or not.

One of DM’s flaws is that he does not promote youth, however he does have a good record of closing out games and securing the points.
This is what he ultimately is measured against.

"One of DM’s flaws" any others you care to mention. He does promote youth when believing he is leaving the club 2 days later. McKenna was a throw of the dice by him, no other option.

hulldon
28-12-2017, 09:01 AM
Think it's harsh to say that McKenna was a "throw of the dice" by DM. He started him first away to Motherwell, 3 days after they had gubbed us in the League Cup, so it was a tough baptism, and he picked him ahead of Reynolds, Ball and others at centre-half. We played really solidly - one of the few games I've seen - and won 1-0 with Scott looking the part. He has become a regular since.
I do agree that the youth players have not become regulars, McKenna apart, but quite a few have had chances over the last few years - Ross, Wright, Storie to name a few. I would like to see more being used more often, but this seems to be the case in many teams these days ... albeit with a few exceptions (Hearts recently perhaps)
And as for the line " he does promote youth when believing he is leaving the club 2 days later" .... 1. Does that mean every time he has played a youngster, he has been planning to leave ... eg Storie against the Dhims a couple of years ago; Wright quite often; McKenna as mentioned above; etc. etc. and 2. We have no idea whether he "believed" he was leaving or not!
COYR

afc1903mad
28-12-2017, 09:35 AM
"One of DM’s flaws" any others you care to mention. He does promote youth when believing he is leaving the club 2 days later. McKenna was a throw of the dice by him, no other option.

Lol. I can spot flaws and limitations.
I can criticise when I think it’s deserved.
I’m not going to be completely negative just for the sake of it.
He did his job last night and obtained the desired 3 points.

I’ve admited these flaws and criticised when deserved.
Maybe, you’d care to acknowledge some of the strengths he has.

afc1903mad
28-12-2017, 09:51 AM
Think it's harsh to say that McKenna was a "throw of the dice" by DM. He started him first away to Motherwell, 3 days after they had gubbed us in the League Cup, so it was a tough baptism, and he picked him ahead of Reynolds, Ball and others at centre-half. We played really solidly - one of the few games I've seen - and won 1-0 with Scott looking the part. He has become a regular since.
I do agree that the youth players have not become regulars, McKenna apart, but quite a few have had chances over the last few years - Ross, Wright, Storie to name a few. I would like to see more being used more often, but this seems to be the case in many teams these days ... albeit with a few exceptions (Hearts recently perhaps)
And as for the line " he does promote youth when believing he is leaving the club 2 days later" .... 1. Does that mean every time he has played a youngster, he has been planning to leave ... eg Storie against the Dhims a couple of years ago; Wright quite often; McKenna as mentioned above; etc. etc. and 2. We have no idea whether he "believed" he was leaving or not!
COYR

Indeed, well said.

We can all see the McInnes has a preference for experience over youth in order to attain the maximum benefit in points.
We as fans may like to see Youth more, but we also don’t know how they show up in training.

Frank Ross for example has always shown up for me as a better prospect than Wright, yet Wright has had more opportunity than Ross.
Wright is very raw and in game situations can lose us possession quite a bit, so I understand why he has not had as much game time.

GlezgaRed
28-12-2017, 11:50 AM
Indeed, well said.

We can all see the McInnes has a preference for experience over youth in order to attain the maximum benefit in points.
We as fans may like to see Youth more, but we also don’t know how they show up in training.

Take Considine for example as the experienced left back, how many goals have we shipped from his position this season ?
Would we have shipped just as many if an actual left-back in say an inexperienced Harvie was playing the position ?

irnbru1903
28-12-2017, 12:07 PM
Winning points is without a doubt more important than playing youth players and that is something DM does very well. He has a tremendous record for us as a whole despite his poor record against Celtic. And to be honest I think that is why he has lost a lot of faith and trust from a percentage of the support.

In those games against Sevco he played youth ahead of the experience that he always goes to as default. Now considering that we played as badly in those games as I can recall throughout DM's term as manager is it any real surprise that there is a big question mark over his integrity. Now as long as he keeps winning he will win most of the support back but it will take time and I am afraid some will never trust him again.

irnbru1903
28-12-2017, 12:10 PM
On the plus side we played fairly rubbish against Thistle and still won. Hopefully one or two signings can invigorate the team and bring players like Rooney back to the scoring machine that we know he can be.

afc1903mad
28-12-2017, 12:15 PM
Take Considine for example as the experienced left back, how many goals have we shipped from his position this season ?
Would we have shipped just as many if an actual left-back in say an inexperienced Harvie was playing the position ?

Considine often gets pinpointed as the root cause but often it’s not his player that causes the problem.
Take the SevCo game for example, they got behind Considine yes, but he was doing his job and it was other players that did not follow the third man running.

Considine has his flaws, yes, but he also has strengths he brings to the team.

Last night, Considine made no obvious mistakes, often mopped up loose balls and put in some dangerous crosses, which some have said we have been missing.
He also set up a great piece of play with a back heel pass into Stewart IIRC.

Harvie we do not know yet, he did ok in the game he came on in, but certainly it’s hard to justify leaving out Considines experience on last nights showing.
I’ve no doubt that Harvie will get his chance and I’d gamble on him this Saturday if Considine is not recovered in time.

afc1903mad
28-12-2017, 12:20 PM
Winning points is without a doubt more important than playing youth players and that is something DM does very well. He has a tremendous record for us as a whole despite his poor record against Celtic. And to be honest I think that is why he has lost a lot of faith and trust from a percentage of the support.

In those games against Sevco he played youth ahead of the experience that he always goes to as default. Now considering that we played as badly in those games as I can recall throughout DM's term as manager is it any real surprise that there is a big question mark over his integrity. Now as long as he keeps winning he will win most of the support back but it will take time and I am afraid some will never trust him again.

I think DM himself pointed out a 66% win rate in 2017.
That’s simply phenomenal if true for a club in our position.

We can’t have had many years in our history that beat that win percentage.

RED_JOHN
28-12-2017, 12:23 PM

The flaw with McInnes when it comes to youth players is that he generally only uses them as a last resort.
We won against Thistle last night and deserved the win. We must improve on our shots at goal though. I was informed that we had 4 shots on target last night against them. Maybe the January window can’t come quick enough to improve on what we have currently.

milne_afc
28-12-2017, 01:06 PM
Consistently scoring?

U avin a larf???

Not good enough sorry.

A goal every two games.
1/2
0.5/90

STFU

Goalposter
28-12-2017, 01:50 PM
A goal every two games.
1/2
0.5/90

STFU

Really???

You're talking utter shyte.

Im talking this season. The facts are facts.

Crawl out of rooneys erse and go back under yer rock ya bam.

Goalposter
28-12-2017, 01:54 PM
He's scored in 4 games out of 20.

Thats 1 every 5 games.

Pish really.

DollyLongstaffe
28-12-2017, 02:08 PM
100%

Problem as I see it is we're already "after Rooney" if by Rooney you mean a guy who scores consistently.

He's just not he player he was.

1. He was never a great all-round player. Other than goal-scoring he's an honest trier but too lacking in pace and skill to make much contribution. He puts himself about a bit but hasn't got enough physical presence or strength to me more than a minor nuisance to defenders. Having said that, he used to be able to contribute quite a bit more than he does now. Won a few headers, got on the end of more. His sharpness has dipped and to be honest he's often not much better than a passenger when he doesn't score.

2. He's scoring much less frequently. This season so far he's scored in 4 games out of 20 starts. In 2017 he's started 43 games and scored in 10. IMO we can't afford the luxury of a player who contributes so little that he's a virtual passenger in 33 games out of 43. Even those stats are a bit flattering, because they will include pens.

I like Rooney. He's an honest pro who, as people have rightly said was a massive, massive improvement on the dross we had up front for many seasons before him. That version of Rooney will be very hard for a club like ours to replace. But the Rooney we have now is no longer that player, and IMO we need better.

Aldo1983
28-12-2017, 02:20 PM
Problem as I see it is we're already "after Rooney" if by Rooney you mean a guy who scores consistently.

1. He was never a great all-round player. Other than goal-scoring he's an honest trier but too lacking in pace and skill to make much contribution. He puts himself about a bit but hasn't got enough physical presence or strength to me more than a minor nuisance to defenders. Having said that, he used to be able to contribute quite a bit more than he does now. Won a few headers, got on the end of more. His sharpness has dipped and to be honest he's often not much better than a passenger when he doesn't score.

2. He's scoring much less frequently. This season so far he's scored in 4 games out of 20 starts. In 2017 he's started 43 games and scored in 10. IMO we can't afford the luxury of a player who contributes so little that he's a virtual passenger in 33 games out of 43. Even those stats are a bit flattering, because they will include pens.

I like Rooney. He's an honest pro who, as people have rightly said was a massive, massive improvement on the dross we had up front for many seasons before him. That version of Rooney will be very hard for a club like ours to replace. But the Rooney we have now is no longer that player, and IMO we need better.

We can always try and upgrade and Stevie May is an all-round better player...I just can't see him scoring as many as Rooney. There are lots of reasons for that of course.

The penalties he scored shouldn't be scorned. Not many players out there who will have only missed the one.

rico94
28-12-2017, 02:31 PM

Thats 1 every 5 games.

Pish really.

Rooneys record is 83 goals in 175 games which is a goal every 2.1 games.

Don't worry now his buddy is back he will be back to scoring regularly.

Pacman1903
28-12-2017, 02:47 PM
Rooneys record is 83 goals in 175 games which is a goal every 2.1 games.

Don't worry now his buddy is back he will be back to scoring regularly.

Fingers crossed

RedStarTorphins
28-12-2017, 02:55 PM

Thats 1 every 5 games.

Pish really.

Anyone who knows much about football (which I seriously doubt you do from reading your posts) will tell you, it's largely a lack of service that has resulted in a reduction in Adam Rooney's goals.
The number of crosses we used to put across the face of the goals when we had Hayes & McGinn has significantly reduced.
Oh aye, and factor in half the games he hasn't played as Stevie May has played at "9".

Rooney hasn't become shyte this season.
HE'S not changed. The team has.

What's changed is two things;
1) the lack of service from out wide as said above.
2) change in style of play - We're not as quick and a bit more "deliberate" in the build up.

Stick to talking shyte about Scotland

Pacman1903
28-12-2017, 03:21 PM
Anyone who knows much about football (which I seriously doubt you do from reading your posts) will tell you, it's largely a lack of service that has resulted in a reduction in Adam Rooney's goals.
The number of crosses we used to put across the face of the goals when we had Hayes & McGinn has significantly reduced.
Oh aye, and factor in half the games he hasn't played as Stevie May has played at "9".

2) change in style of play - We're not as quick and a bit more "deliberate" in the build up.

The talk of Rooney being past it or sh@te was baffling

Clear as day its because he doesn't get the service

Hopefully McGinns prodigal son act with get Adam back on track.

Spielführer_1903
28-12-2017, 04:17 PM

GMS never got going.

Greg Stewart tested the keeper more than anyone else and is able to jink his way past players despite not being very quick. Wonderful feet on him.

It was between him or Christie for me.

curvasud
28-12-2017, 04:51 PM

With McGinn and Hayes last season he only scored 8 from open play in the league in 38 games.

So I think your point is a nice bit of logic you've made up but has no basis in reality.

Celtic 4-1 Aberdeen - pounced on a defender mistake
Kilmarnock 0-4 Aberdeen - given the ball way outside the box and slotted it past the keeper
Aberdeen 2-1 Hamilton - tap in from a Maddison rebound
Aberdeen 7-2 Motherwell - 1 yard open goal from Hayes pass, 1 yard tap in from McGinn corner
Aberdeen 1-0 Ross County - unknowingly bounced off him from McLean cross
Dundee 0-7 Aberdeen - header from a Logan cross
Hearts 1-2 Aberdeen - rebound from a Pawlett shot

If we look outside the league

Aberdeen 1-0 St Johnstone - header from a cross from Shinnie
Aberdeen 2-0 Morton - cross from Shinnie headed back across by Considine
Hibs 2-3 Aberdeen - pounced on a mistake

This is correct however he was missing all of those chances. I've just sat through a bunch of self nutmegs, so close to reaching the ball efforts (too slow to react), and multiple attempted overhead kicks watching the highlights of last season's games.

DollyLongstaffe
28-12-2017, 04:59 PM
We can always try and upgrade and Stevie May is an all-round better player...I just can't see him scoring as many as Rooney. There are lots of reasons for that of course.

The penalties he scored shouldn't be scorned. Not many players out there who will have only missed the one.

I agree it's great to have a reliable penalty taker, but if a guy's all round performance is such that he only justifies selection when he scores then I think it's logical to discount penalty goals to some extent on the grounds that you'd PROBABLY have scored it anyway.

I hear a lot about no McGinn and Hayes and lack of service being the difference, but he scored in 6 games out of 23 from January to the end of last season, not too different from scoring 4 games from 20 this. I don't think there's been any noticeable drop in his scoring form this season, it's a continuation of the same form he was showing in the second half of last. When he contributes so little apart from goals, I think him not scoring in 17 games out of 23 (last season) or 16 games out of 20 (this) means he's a luxury we can't afford.

rico94
28-12-2017, 05:19 PM
I agree it's great to have a reliable penalty taker, but if a guy's all round performance is such that he only justifies selection when he scores then I think it's logical to discount penalty goals to some extent on the grounds that you'd PROBABLY have scored it anyway.

I hear a lot about no McGinn and Hayes and lack of service being the difference, but he scored in 6 games out of 23 from January to the end of last season, not too different from scoring 4 games from 20 this. I don't think there's been any noticeable drop in his scoring form this season, it's a continuation of the same form he was showing in the second half of last. When he contributes so little apart from goals, I think him not scoring in 17 games out of 23 (last season) or 16 games out of 20 (this) means he's a luxury we can't afford.
He didn’t only score 6 goals from January till the end of the season he scored 9 goals,20 goals for the season and the 3rd season in a row where he has scored at least 20 goals.

His goals have given us a lot of wins over the years and before he came here games like last night were usually 0-0 results more than not.

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=43228&season_id=149

RedStarTorphins
28-12-2017, 06:07 PM
With McGinn and Hayes last season he only scored 8 from open play in the league in 38 games.

So I think your point is a nice bit of logic you've made up but has no basis in reality.

Kilmarnock 0-4 Aberdeen - given the ball way outside the box and slotted it past the keeper
Aberdeen 7-2 Motherwell - 1 yard open goal from Hayes pass, 1 yard tap in from McGinn corner

This is correct however he was missing all of those chances. I've just sat through a bunch of self nutmegs, so close to reaching the ball efforts (too slow to react), and multiple attempted overhead kicks watching the highlights of last season's games.

Ok rainman :-)

87kilos
28-12-2017, 07:34 PM
The flaw with McInnes when it comes to youth players is that he generally only uses them as a last resort.
We won against Thistle last night and deserved the win. We must improve on our shots at goal though. I was informed that we had 4 shots on target last night against them. Maybe the January window can’t come quick enough to improve on what we have currently.

Yes we won. Wonder if the Thistle fans are all on their forum moaning that Archiebald used negative frustrating time wasting tactics against us?

Pacman1903
28-12-2017, 07:44 PM
Yes we won. Wonder if the Thistle fans are all on their forum moaning that Archiebald used negative frustrating time wasting tactics against us?

Not a good comparison is it? They are bottom of the league and were second bottom going into it and are sh@te. They need every point they can muster so minking a draw at second in the table by trying to stifle the opposition is not a bad tactic as they were pretty much not going to win the game as they dont have the players capable of it. That is nothing like what you are getting at.

RED_JOHN
28-12-2017, 07:54 PM

I see Partick Thistle had 1 shot on target last night...equals our shots on target at Celtic Park. We did have the 4 (four) last night which was a bonus. A shot on target approximately every 22 1/2 minutes...Del must have let his players off the leash last night. :p

At least we made an attempt to win the match so that itself is a definite improvement.

afc1903mad
28-12-2017, 09:30 PM
I see Partick Thistle had 1 shot on target last night...equals our shots on target at Celtic Park. We did have the 4 (four) last night which was a bonus. A shot on target approximately every 22 1/2 minutes...Del must have let his players off the leash last night. :p

At least we made an attempt to win the match so that itself is a definite improvement.

The outcome of the game is not as simple as that.
Your chosen stats does not consider Rooney disallowed goal, Stewart’s jink and flash across the goal that was just missed, the penalty claim after knocking Stewart out of the road and probably not the lob by Christie.
It possibly does not count the great pass by McLean to Logan which I’m not sure if resulted in a recorded shot on target despite the great move and opportunity.
Guess you really have to watch a game to consider opportunities

RED_JOHN
28-12-2017, 09:43 PM
The outcome of the game is not as simple as that.
Your chosen stats does not consider Rooney disallowed goal, Stewart’s jink and flash across the goal that was just missed, the penalty claim after knocking Stewart out of the road and probably not the lob by Christie.
It possibly does not count the great pass by McLean to Logan which I’m not sure if resulted in a recorded shot on target despite the great move and opportunity.
Guess you really have to watch a game to consider opportunities

I don’t need to be at the match to understand that shooting on target is the best way to score goals.
I appreciate a win is a win so don’t take a hissy fit because I am concerned by our lack of enough shots on target.
More signings like Niall McGinn will certainly improve us as a goal threat....something we are needing to improve on.

Aldo1983
28-12-2017, 09:49 PM
Boring ****s.

RED_JOHN
28-12-2017, 09:53 PM
Boring ****s.

Just giving an opinion mate...don’t read if not interested instead of the pathetic insults.

afc1903mad
28-12-2017, 10:24 PM
I don’t need to be at the match to understand that shooting on target is the best way to score goals.
I appreciate a win is a win so don’t take a hissy fit because I am concerned by our lack of enough shots on target.
More signings like Niall McGinn will certainly improve us as a goal threat....something we are needing to improve on.

No hissy fit, but just pointing out that SOT is just part of the overall review of the game.

Goalposter
28-12-2017, 10:53 PM

Exactly.

I think its you rst who knows nothing about football.

Service yer erse.

Drop hom and buy a striker who CAN make opportunities for himself.
He's a waste this season with 1 goal in ever 5 games.

He's guilty of gone missing in so many games yet is not allowed to be criticised.

Youre just a moaning hun really.

You're hate for Scotland is boring.

Why don't you join englandmad.

They'd love you honestly.

Goalposter
28-12-2017, 10:58 PM

Ok that's 2 of us making sense.

Phew.

Be careful dolly. Youll be criticised for knowing nothing about football...

Oh wait...rst cant write that about top reds can he?

Bwuck bwuck bwuck.....

LOL

Goalposter
28-12-2017, 11:16 PM
We could get joe harper back.

He could stand in the box all season and if he doesnt score, we can then say but but he has scored 126 goals in 207 games for us.
He just needs the service.

My point being ...both Rooney and Harper are legends.
We should NEVER forget that of course.

But if we are simply happy in quoting old stats from years ago and not actually spending some dosh on a proven goalscorer, then what's the point?

We all want AFC to be better right?

I get the loyalty with Rooney. I like him too but maybe itz time to move on unless things change and qe gwt him back to his best.
Maybe McGinn can do that.

Maybe mcginn should replace him as striker.

Hmm.

afc1903mad
28-12-2017, 11:21 PM
We could get joe harper back.

He could stand in the box all season and if he doesnt score, we can then say but but he has scored 126 goals in 207 games for us.
He just needs the service.

My point being ...both Rooney and Harper are legends.
We should NEVER forget that of course.

But if we are simply happy in quoting old stats from years ago and not actually spending some dosh on a proven goalscorer, then what's the point?

We all want AFC to be better right?

I get the loyalty with Rooney. I like him too but maybe itz time to move on unless things change and qe gwt him back to his best.
Maybe McGinn can do that.

Maybe mcginn should replace him as striker.

Hmm.

We signed May to take over as the main striker.
He does provide more up front than Rooney and I’m confident that will only continue to improve.
Rooney has his place in this squad, he did a very good job on Wednesday. He pulled their CH’s out of position to allow Christie and Shinnie to drive past him into the holes.
He also linked very well when dropping deep.
Rooney is a confidence player and needs a run of games to get the most out of him.
We are progressing beyond him, but he is still invaluable in the squad.

Mason89
28-12-2017, 11:24 PM
We’re not progressing beyond Adam Rooney

RedStarTorphins
28-12-2017, 11:39 PM
Exactly.

I think its you rst who knows nothing about football.

Service yer erse.

Drop hom and buy a striker who CAN make opportunities for himself.
He's a waste this season with 1 goal in ever 5 games.

He's guilty of gone missing in so many games yet is not allowed to be criticised.

Youre just a moaning hun really.

You're hate for Scotland is boring.

Why don't you join englandmad.

They'd love you honestly.

Yes.
You’ve got me sussed.
I’m a hun.
Dearie f*cking me.

What you know about football you could tattoo on Jimmy Krankies cock on a cold December evening at Pittodrie.

Goalposter
28-12-2017, 11:46 PM
Is that your answer to anything that's correct and you dont agree with.
You're a greetin faced coward who sticks to the same depressing formula every week. Zzzzzzz.

You've made a few belters yourself and made to look an erse.

Your dislike of me shouldnt mask my good points.

Just because you're not into Scotland , the team and all our country's glory doesnt mean you should be childish about it.

Goalposter
28-12-2017, 11:49 PM
We signed May to take over as the main striker.
He does provide more up front than Rooney and I’m confident that will only continue to improve.
Rooney has his place in this squad, he did a very good job on Wednesday. He pulled their CH’s out of position to allow Christie and Shinnie to drive past him into the holes.
He also linked very well when dropping deep.
Rooney is a confidence player and needs a run of games to get the most out of him.
We are progressing beyond him, but he is still invaluable in the squad.

So why doesnt Maynard need confidence.

Why is he simply shyte?

Rooney has done absolutely zip for so many games this season.

He's untouchable.

afc1903mad
29-12-2017, 12:18 AM
So why doesnt Maynard need confidence.

Why is he simply shyte?

Rooney has done absolutely zip for so many games this season.

He's untouchable.

Maynard probably does need confidence, but you say Rooney has done nothing, yet he’s done far more than Maynard.
I don’t understand your point.
Do you want to bin Rooney and give Maynard more opportunities? Strange

Goalposter
29-12-2017, 12:28 AM
Id like Maynard to get a couple of games against lesser teams yes to see if he can get a goal.

My point about roonwy is...hes done relatively nothing all season yet still gets chances and full support.
Maynard gets 10 minutes here and there wbich is nothing and should be binned etc.

Its doting on Rooney's past.

Hes simpky not producing tha goods so try something else more effective.

Pacman1903
29-12-2017, 05:37 AM
Yes.
You’ve got me sussed.
I’m a hun.
Dearie f*cking me.

Its a stock answer to not agreeing with someone on here

Hope you realise you are also a troll and an armchair supporter too

87kilos
29-12-2017, 07:22 AM
Id like Maynard to get a couple of games against lesser teams yes to see if he can get a goal.

My point about roonwy is...hes done relatively nothing all season yet still gets chances and full support.
Maynard gets 10 minutes here and there wbich is nothing and should be binned etc.

Its doting on Rooney's past.

Hes simpky not producing tha goods so try something else more effective.

Why would you want to play a striker who hasn't scored against "lesser teams" when we have a proven striker who is fit and has a record of scoring goals against these "lesser teams"???

Maynard has shown me nothing to suggest he's capable of doing what Rooney does for us.

Goalposter
29-12-2017, 08:38 AM
Its a stock answer to not agreeing with someone on here

Hope you realise you are also a troll and an armchair supporter too

You're just saying that because someone called you a troll haha.

My calling him a hun has nothing to do with disagreeing with me.
It's because of his dislike of Scottish things and his constant contradictions.

He's actually depressing.

And offensive to Scotland fans.

Very hunnish behaviour.

And pacman..do you ever actually work.

I think you make it all up tbh.

You're on here 24/7.

Goalposter
29-12-2017, 08:40 AM
Why would you want to play a striker who hasn't scored against "lesser teams" when we have a proven striker who is fit and has a record of scoring goals against these "lesser teams"???

Maynard has shown me nothing to suggest he's capable of doing what Rooney does for us.

Proven years ago.

Why are you all banging on about his effectiveness from yesteryear.

Do you actually want us to move forward or not?

Baffling.

ragnarok
29-12-2017, 08:45 AM
sACk rOOneY wE nd a wURLD kLass stRYker

Pacman1903
29-12-2017, 08:57 AM
And pacman..do you ever actually work.

I think you make it all up tbh.

I do work 84 hour weeks 6 months of the year but a lot of it is in front of a screen pretending to do reports and permits. Then i'm at home 6 months a year where I drink beer and travel watching fitba when not with my wee man. Hence my post count. Its a perfect work/life for being accused of hunnish behaviour and being a troll on here to be honest.

Goalposter
29-12-2017, 09:07 AM
I do work 84 hour weeks 6 months of the year but a lot of it is in front of a screen pretending to do reports and permits. Then i'm at home 6 months a year where I drink beer and travel watching fitba when not with my wee man. Hence my post count. Its a perfect work/life for being accused of hunnish behaviour and being a troll on here to be honest.

I never accused you of those though.

Pacman1903
29-12-2017, 09:11 AM
I never accused you of those though.

Not saying you have. But it has been known

In all honesty I joined here in 2009 when I started going offshore to fill in time and it works.

87kilos
29-12-2017, 09:48 AM
Proven years ago.

Why are you all banging on about his effectiveness from yesteryear.

Do you actually want us to move forward or not?

Baffling.

Did Rooney take his chance against Thistle???

Would you rather we took a chance that Maynard may have also taken that chance?

Do you want us to progress and "move forward". What a baffling statement from you.

Next.

Goalposter
29-12-2017, 10:00 AM
I wanted Maynard to get 70 minutes v partick.

If shyte then bin.

He needs a decent chance.

Rooney has had plenty and scores 1 in every 5 games on average.
To me this isnt good enough.
We NEED A NEW STRIKER.

Keep Rooney..keep Maynard if he proves himself in just 1 game against lesser opposition.if not..bin.

Its really obvious.i want what's best for AFC too.

Rooney is far far too ineffective this season.

Id love him to get more goals.

Rooney also missed a sitter.

Who knows if Maynard or May wouldve got into that position.
Who knows if Maynard would have scored more.
We certainly wont find out if he plays the last 10 minutes whereas we have found out Rooney HAS been ineffective most games thiz season with 18 hours of football.

Aldo1983
29-12-2017, 10:19 AM
Rooney scored the winning goal before the 70min mark.

Pacman1903
29-12-2017, 10:20 AM
I heard from an ex colleague of Maynard that he was the most natural finisher he had ever seen. I got excited about that when he signed. I'm sure a goal would give him a major boost but he hasn't really had a crack. Dare I say "theres a player in there somewhere". But then again how many times does that get reeled oot. Hes the kind of player that will move on and probablly bang them in

Mason89
29-12-2017, 10:29 AM
Maynard is either shyte or McInnes thinks he’s shyte. If that wasn’t the case, he’d be in the team.

afc1903mad
29-12-2017, 11:19 AM
Rooney HAS been ineffective most games thiz season with 18 hours of football.

Rooney scored the other night.
He also had a goal disallowed.
He got in positions to score if picked out by teammates.
He also created space for others.

Maynard was presented with a great chance v Hibs the other game and he dillies and dallied until the defender got back to block the effort. Rooney would have got his shot away earlier

Your criticism of Rooney is unjust.

DollyLongstaffe
29-12-2017, 05:09 PM
He didn’t only score 6 goals from January till the end of the season he scored 9 goals,20 goals for the season and the 3rd season in a row where he has scored at least 20 goals.

His goals have given us a lot of wins over the years and before he came here games like last night were usually 0-0 results more than not.

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=43228&season_id=149

I didn't claim he only scored 6, I said he scored in 6 games (out of 23). When a player's contribution otherwise is so little that he only justifies selection when he scores I think it's valid to look at how many games he scores in. That's 17 games where he would have contributed little.

There are various issues looking at Rooney's stats I think:

1. The way his goals per game ratio has significantly dropped in the past couple of seasons. IMO this invalidates arguments that he should be being played because of his goals/game ratio since he came to the club - he's not the same player as the one who was scoring prolifically before.

2. Yes 20 goals for last season is an impressive headline stat. When you dig deeper, though, it doesn't look so great. 5 pens, so 15 outfield goals from 52 appearances. His goals tend to be clustered together, often in easy wins against lesser opposition (2 against Stranraer, 3 in the the Motherwell rout). In his final 17 games last season he scored 4 times.

Normally I'm not a big fan of judging a striker purely on his goals stats, I think you have to look at the overall contribution. But the Rooney of the past couple of seasons is so often a near-passenger in terms of his general play that he can only be picked on the basis of scoring goals. For me at least he's not doing it often enough.

bpdon
29-12-2017, 08:53 PM
Maynard started 3 or 4 games early in the season and looked bang average at best against relatively weak opposition. He ran about a lot though.

Goalposter
29-12-2017, 09:11 PM
I didn't claim he only scored 6, I said he scored in 6 games (out of 23). When a player's contribution otherwise is so little that he only justifies selection when he scores I think it's valid to look at how many games he scores in. That's 17 games where he would have contributed little.

There are various issues looking at Rooney's stats I think:

1. The way his goals per game ratio has significantly dropped in the past couple of seasons. IMO this invalidates arguments that he should be being played because of his goals/game ratio since he came to the club - he's not the same player as the one who was scoring prolifically before.

2. Yes 20 goals for last season is an impressive headline stat. When you dig deeper, though, it doesn't look so great. 5 pens, so 15 outfield goals from 52 appearances. His goals tend to be clustered together, often in easy wins against lesser opposition (2 against Stranraer, 3 in the the Motherwell rout). In his final 17 games last season he scored 4 times.

Normally I'm not a big fan of judging a striker purely on his goals stats, I think you have to look at the overall contribution. But the Rooney of the past couple of seasons is so often a near-passenger in terms of his general play that he can only be picked on the basis of scoring goals. For me at least he's not doing it often enough.
Absolutely this^^^

I dont see what fans here aren't getting.

I make valid points and get treated like some ignorant idiot lol.

Well said Dolly for seeing his lack of contribution too.

Its blatant.

We all like Rooney ok but to simply back him because he had 3 brilliant seasons for us 2 years ago is understandable but hypocritical.

Everyone else gets pelters for performing sub par.

Why not Rooney?

Fact is we need strikers who can SCORE.

not 1 is doing that on a regular basis.we all know that so surely all of them need to be questioned as to why theyre getting a game or not.

Maynard isnt the only weak link therefor.

Mcginn will hopegully make a difference to these guys hitting the back of the net.

Here's hoping.

afc1903mad
29-12-2017, 09:33 PM
Well said Dolly for seeing his lack of contribution too.

Its blatant.

Do you think Rooney contributed other than scoring against Partick?

Goalposter
29-12-2017, 09:41 PM
Hard to comment.i only watched the highlights for THIS match. Xmas is a busy time.
From what others have said on both afc forums though, he wasnt that influential.
Whats your thoughts?

Sounds like Maynard wouldve done the same job in that game.

Rooney if sharper may have got onto the end of that 6 yard cross and buried it.who knows.

afc1903mad
29-12-2017, 11:13 PM
Hard to comment.i only watched the highlights for THIS match. Xmas is a busy time.
From what others have said on both afc forums though, he wasnt that influential.
Whats your thoughts?

Sounds like Maynard wouldve done the same job in that game.

Rooney if sharper may have got onto the end of that 6 yard cross and buried it.who knows.

I thought Rooney had a very influential game.
Scored a goal, had another disallowed.
Drop deep and linked in with the midfield, pulling the Centre Backs out of position to allow the midfield to run beyond and into the space.
Still managed to get back up and support.
Took the ball out of the air at one point with a deft backheel into Shinnie.

Not convinced Maynard would have been as influential.

sheepcrooky
29-12-2017, 11:24 PM
Drop deep and linked in with the midfield, pulling the Centre Backs out of position to allow the midfield to run beyond and into the space.

Agreed, it was probably his best link up play of the season. He’s not Harry Kane, but neither is he Darren Mackie. He is our best striker.

Landvetter83
30-12-2017, 12:10 AM
Himin Goalposter! That's about the most impressive troll I've ever seen on here.

5 pages of posts arguing about Maynard deserving a chance. Chapeau son!

Anyone with a working pair of eyes has seen since July that the chunt is 100% f@@king useless and will be gone in January ....

Goalposter
30-12-2017, 01:55 AM
Himin Goalposter! That's about the most impressive troll I've ever seen on here.

5 pages of posts arguing about Maynard deserving a chance. Chapeau son!

Anyone with a working pair of eyes has seen since July that the chunt is 100% f@@king useless and will be gone in January ....

Oh so ur a troll if you think Rooney hasnt been very effective this season and think Maynard needs more of a chance?

Ahhh I see.

Goalposter
30-12-2017, 01:58 AM

Fair enough afc.

Thanks for replying with decent comments and not outright abuse.

Nice to see someone can make a point without resorting to utter bollox
:)

And to the other poster...if Rooney is our best striker then we have huge problems.

Id rather see McGinn back there where he had his best season EVER for us or anyone else.