Cyrille Regis. WBA's black ace from the 80s. Only 59 :(

RedStarTorphins
15-01-2018, 09:55 AM
Cyrille Regis. WBA's black ace from the 80s. Only 59 :(

Younger folks should google
Man Utd 3 v West Brom 5 from about 1978

jamiesd
15-01-2018, 10:00 AM
Good player and one of my fav's from watching 80's football.

phuxachemin
15-01-2018, 11:37 AM
Younger folks should google
Man Utd 3 v West Brom 5 from about 1978

Aye what a game that was. Enjoyed watching West Brom back in the day. Him and Cunningham were immese players. I wonder what their worth would be in todays market. Would big Ron gwt away with it today by calling those 2 players and Brendan Bateson the Three Degress.

InversneckieDob
15-01-2018, 11:47 AM
Aye what a game that was. Enjoyed watching West Brom back in the day. Him and Cunningham were immese players. I wonder what their worth would be in todays market. Would big Ron gwt away with it today by calling those 2 players and Brendan Bateson the Three Degress.

There was another joke did the rounds of questionable taste back then.

WBA had Len Cantello and another boy whose name ended in an O, might have been Mayo or some such.

The joke was "Who are the 5 WBA players whose names end in O?"
The answer was the two boys fa's name ended in O and three s***os.

Now this joke was doing the rounds in mainstream media places back then, I'm sure I read it in "Shoot" magazine FFS.

Thankfully, we've moved on a lot since then and it was the three high profile WBA boys that were at the forefront of change (and took obscene amounts of abuse).

Regis was a cracking big striker and 59 is afffa young.

RIP fella.

Feck_the_Huns
15-01-2018, 11:51 AM

WBA had Len Cantello and another boy whose name ended in an O, might have been Mayo or some such.

Now this joke was doing the rounds in mainstream media places back then, I'm sure I read it in "Shoot" magazine FFS.

Thankfully, we've moved on a lot since then and it was the three high profile WBA boys that were at the forefront of change (and took obscene amounts of abuse).

RIP fella.

Twa three of that team deid now, if my memory is right. Laurie Cunningham died in 1999, and Im sure there was another player, Tony Brown or Batson os someone else

InversneckieDob
15-01-2018, 11:56 AM
Twa three of that team deid now, if my memory is right. Laurie Cunningham died in 1999, and Im sure there was another player, Tony Brown or Batson os someone else

Cunningham died in a car crash.....I still remember with a sizeable amount of shame the racist abuse he and two or three other black fellas got while playing for Orient at the Pitt in the Anglo-Scottish Cup circa 76.
Equally ashamed that the 12 year old me joined in.

Feck_the_Huns
15-01-2018, 12:01 PM
Cunningham died in a car crash.....I still remember with a sizeable amount of shame the racist abuse he and two or three other black fellas got while playing for Orient at the Pitt in the Anglo-Scottish Cup circa 76.

Looking back, behaviour like that was reprehensible, but we all did things as 12 yr olds, that we later regret. Crazy to think now, that stuff like that went on all over the country.

The important thing now is, no way would our kids behave in that way now, the intergreted society that they were brought up in has seen to that.

Jussi
15-01-2018, 03:38 PM

It wasn't really racist , just abuse using a convenient trope
unless the abuser really actually thinks that blacks are inferior etc, which isn't usually the case IMO

kigoretrout
15-01-2018, 03:47 PM
It wasn't really racist , just abuse using a convenient trope
unless the abuser really actually thinks that blacks are inferior etc, which isn't usually the case IMO

Whoah ! Not sure I agree with you there mate. I don't think we can analyse the thought processes of the offender and decide there are mitigating factors. If the words were racially offensive its racism clear and simple.

donsdaft
15-01-2018, 03:50 PM
*******s

RedStarTorphins
15-01-2018, 05:20 PM

RIP fella.

Unbelievably WBA held a game (might’ve been a testimonial for the player you mentioned, Cantello) that was blacks v whites.
WBA borrowed a couple from Wolves to make up the X1.

Jussi
15-01-2018, 05:43 PM
Unbelievably WBA held a game (might’ve been a testimonial for the player you mentioned, Cantello) that was blacks v whites.

What's wrong with that !

I hear China have a team full of Chinese players. The Ghana squad is all black ..

shocking..

RedStarTorphins
15-01-2018, 06:22 PM
What's wrong with that !

I hear China have a team full of Chinese players. The Ghana squad is all black ..

shocking..

Whit?
You think it’s ok to deliberately say all blacks in that team, all whites in the other?
Aye. Ok :-)

Redmadders96
15-01-2018, 06:36 PM
What's wrong with that !

shocking..

Jussi.............are you SERIOUS??? YOU are havin a laugh just to comments right???
If not you should be kicked out of this site without even thinking about it.............that is outrageous.

You should hang your head in shame for putting comments like that down on this chat page

Jussi
15-01-2018, 06:42 PM
Whit?
You think it’s ok to deliberately say all blacks in that team, all whites in the other?
Aye. Ok :-)

You make it sound antebellum , & as if they were forced to participate. In that case obviously It's not right.

But, I would have thought it more likely to have been a convivial, good natured & innocent event, enjoyed by all. I am sure it was,

Jussi
15-01-2018, 06:43 PM
Jussi.............are you SERIOUS??? YOU are havin a laugh just to comments right???
If not you should be kicked out of this site without even thinking about it.............that is outrageous.

You should hang your head in shame for putting comments like that down on this chat page

You need some introspection

Jupiter
15-01-2018, 06:49 PM
article about the black v white game

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-37924448

Jussi
15-01-2018, 06:57 PM
from that link

Batson recalls no controversy. "Nobody ever rang us up and said, 'Do you realise the implication?' Nothing at all. It was fun. In that dressing room it was just great fun."

Brendon Batson ,
in the black team to be clear.

Jupiter
15-01-2018, 07:50 PM
Politicians and media numpties are far too obsessed with racism nowadays. They make it out to be the worst crime in the world, they really should lighten up a bit.

Aldo1983
15-01-2018, 08:06 PM
Politicians and media numpties are far too obsessed with racism nowadays. They make it out to be the worst crime in the world, they really should lighten up a bit.

https://i.makeagif.com/media/12-15-2015/P15npu.gif

kigoretrout
16-01-2018, 11:45 AM
Thank god we live in more enlightened times. A black v whites football match might have seemed alright to the general public in the 70s. That did not make it in any way acceptable. Differentiating people by the colour of their skin !! Oh that's alright isn't it ?

We had Love thy Neighbour and Alf Garnet on the tv in the 70s after all. Lets bring them back ! Come on folks lighten up !

Aldo1983
16-01-2018, 12:39 PM
Come on folks lighten up !

T&P / Jupiter already cracked that joke.

Pacman1903
16-01-2018, 02:29 PM
Differentiating people by the colour of their skin !! Oh that's alright isn't it ?

!
Try working where I work. The racial inequality is f@cking beyond words.

If you are not white you get away with anything including causing a 200 tonne gas leak which if the wind was blowing the other way a Piper Alpha type event.

If you add being an employee of the company that owns this tip (lets call them Ballbag Plooks) to not being white you will climb the chain at warp speed.

The gas leak is the worst in a long list of serious f@ck ups I have seen in the last 2 years. But they investigate sh@t and try and pin the f@ck ups on the white guys.

You just have to laugh and get on with it. Its actually amazing that such a worldwide company who employ so many people form different parts of the world and different cultures allow this