PDA

View Full Version : What makes a supporter?

mondo_notion
20-01-2018, 07:33 PM
I was reading the cup thread and obviously a lot of people mentioning the poor crowd. Got me thinking why people really don't turn up to support the team they claim to follow.

It's not a go at anyone in particular but just a basic observation.

Over the years I would say I have worked with about 7 or 8 'dandies' but none of them ever go to games. All of them have lived in the city or suburbs so really don't have an excuse. I suppose I should have asked them. They keep up with the dons gossip, like it when we get a win but never part with their hard earned to attend a match.

So are they dons supporters? Sh*t atmosphere, tickets too pricey or really just can't be arsed?

Mason89
20-01-2018, 07:39 PM
140 points

mondo_notion
20-01-2018, 07:47 PM
140 points doesn't even get you a set of steak knifes these days.

Pacman1903
20-01-2018, 07:49 PM
Im gutted i miss so much due to work. But i dont have a choice so canna bump my gums too much

Speaking of the crowds, the Maddison goal sevco game is a prime example of our support. It was sold out but St Johnstone in the cup 3 days before had between 8 and 9k. But its just the norm. Our core supports nae huge and there are big game charlies galore. Its just how we are supported and ive never know different in all my days

Pacman1903
20-01-2018, 07:50 PM

Winna get you into Ibrox i dont think

mondo_notion
20-01-2018, 07:59 PM
Im gutted i miss so much due to work. But i dont have a choice so canna bump my gums too much

Speaking of the crowds, the Maddison goal sevco game is a prime example of our support. It was sold out but St Johnstone in the cup 3 days before had between 8 and 9k. But its just the norm. Our core supports nae huge and there are big game charlies galore. Its just how we are supported and ive never know different in all my days

Aye the difference is no one can deny you are a big dons fan. When you ain't working you go to the games. There's something putting a lot of people off though and I don't think it's as simple an explanation as ticket prices etc. Granted I do hear a lot of people say they aren't going 'cos it's on the telly' but it's always from people who wouldn't be going anyway. Anyway I'm rambling. Away to pour myself a salted caramel liqueur.

rico94
20-01-2018, 08:06 PM
The poor crowds are mainly down to Pittodrie,it’s affa cal doon there next to the North Sea.

Once we move to the warmer climate of west hill there will be 20k every week;)

Mason89
20-01-2018, 08:08 PM
If Aberdeen FC had handled the Hun thing better, idve bought a season ticket whether I used it or not.

As it stands, the club are selling tickets to watch a team in a rigged set up. Worse than that, not only are they happy with it, they actively encourage it.

Pacman1903
20-01-2018, 08:10 PM
Aye the difference is no one can deny you are a big dons fan. When you ain't working you go to the games. There's something putting a lot of people off though and I don't think it's as simple an explanation as ticket prices etc. Granted I do hear a lot of people say they aren't going 'cos it's on the telly' but it's always from people who wouldn't be going anyway. Anyway I'm rambling. Away to pour myself a salted caramel liqueur.

At first glance i read "salted camel liquor". I was intrigued. (booze is another thing i miss in my month away)

Do you remember our crowd fluctuations ever not happening as i cant in 28 years. Its just the norm. Sad but true. It wont change whether at Pittodrie, Westhill or wherever.

For the record i know heaps of "dandies" who never set foot in Pittodrie or away games. They live in town or the shire and make absolutley no effort to go. But will text about Hampdung if we get there. W@nks and cant be classed as supporters in my eyes.

Aldo1983
20-01-2018, 08:22 PM

What about Embassy Coupon points?

mondo_notion
20-01-2018, 08:22 PM
At first glance i read "salted camel liquor".
For the record i know heaps of "dandies" who never set foot in Pittodrie or away games. They live in town or the shire and make absolutley no effort to go. But will text about Hampdung if we get there. W@nks and cant be classed as supporters in my eyes.

Got a bit carried away at the deli on the way home from work :O

Yeah surely these macky on fans are more of a problem to attendance figures than prices, weather, atmosphere etc.

If Aberdeen FC had handled the Hun thing better, idve bought a season ticket whether I used it or not.

As it stands, the club are selling tickets to watch a team in a rigged set up. Worse than that, not only are they happy with it, they actively encourage it.

Nobody is questioning your commitment to the cause mason. You should get 140 honorary loyalty points just for services to afc forums alone.

RED_JOHN
20-01-2018, 08:23 PM

Yep, the club leader certainly doesn’t cover himself in glory a lot of times.
I had a season ticket for years and hardly missed a match. Nowadays I miss far too many matches. My dislike of not being competitive enough under Del’s team makes me finding not going easier to handle. Maybe I am a grumpy git as I get older and expect more than what I witness at times.
I love going to matches though and admit I miss not seeing the matches I don’t get to.

sheepcrooky
20-01-2018, 08:29 PM
Supporter/follower/armchair fan. There’s a fine line between all. People like us who spout pi$h on the forums clearly feel more passionate than most.

Our average attendance so far this season is probably as high as it has ever been (some sad statto will correct me) and we are playing turgid fitba.

Some people are diehards and will follow AFC come hell or high water. Some would like to but either finances, other commitments or logistics mean they cannot; these people are no less “supporters” than me.

I am proud to be a Dandy. Love following AFC Home and away. A lot of my mates (probably the same with everyone here) follow the Dons but never really go to Pittodrie. I would love if Pittodrie was full every game with a great atmosphere; but it didn’t happen in my heyday (born in ‘65) and it ain’t going to happen now.

For me, I am proud my 16 year old loon goes home and away with the same passion as me. My legacy will live in for at least one more generation.

nice1simmy
20-01-2018, 08:30 PM
I think you underestimate where alot of our fans come from,i know from personal expereince that alot of dons fans come from north of inverness,even orkney,there's a pretty even split among dons,h*ns and t*ms fans up north and alot of those fans have to pick and choose what games they go to so more often than not they will choose the 'big' games and make a weekend of it by staying down in the big city,a home game for some of those fans if they travel down and back in the same day is a 13-14 hr day with travelling etc

Jupiter
20-01-2018, 08:32 PM
I haven't been to a game since 1995 for various reasons

- Scottish football is as bent as a 3 pound note
- Ticket prices are a rip off
- We've been **** for most of that time
- Can't really be bothered going

vasilyrats86
20-01-2018, 08:37 PM
I think you underestimate where alot of our fans come from,i know from personal expereince that alot of dons fans come from north of inverness,even orkney,there's a pretty even split among dons,h*ns and t*ms fans up north and alot of those fans have to pick and choose what games they go to so more often than not they will choose the 'big' games and make a weekend of it by staying down in the big city,a home game for some of those fans if they travel down and back in the same day is a 13-14 hr day with travelling etc

agreed been there and done that.

I'd be there all the time if I lived in the area but having lived in Caithness, Febland (still made at least 7-10 games a season) and now in Fife its no easy. Does not diminish my support one iota. Plus I have watched some ****e in the 90s and 1st decade of this century.

afc1903mad
20-01-2018, 08:39 PM
For me it’s always been that fans follow (have an interest in) the team, supporters go along and support.
Of course, situations like Pac-Man would mean he is still a supporter as he’s putting his money into the club.

I’m a supporter, but there may be a time as my kids grow older that life choices mean I can’t support the club as I do now and become more of a fan.

In essence we are all fan’s, but supporters are by definition those that help support the club (financially)

No right or wrong and will fluctuate through life.

afc1903mad
20-01-2018, 08:43 PM
not being competitive enough under Del’s team

I don’t understand this.
Under Del, we have won a cup and consistently competed better in the league, backed up statistically.
Last year we competed in two cup finals.
We certainly compete under DM.

You may expect more, but in our long history, only the glory years in the 80’s have been better.

nice1simmy
20-01-2018, 08:46 PM

I'd be there all the time if I lived in the area but having lived in Caithness, Febland (still made at least 7-10 games a season) and now in Fife its no easy. Does not diminish my support one iota. Plus I have watched some ****e in the 90s and 1st decade of this century.

I may have been on the old caithness buses with you at one time or another,as you will know there are alot of dons fans up north but making games regularly isnt easy

KIWIRED
20-01-2018, 08:47 PM
Aberdeens core support lives outside the city. The fans in the city are the worst, wont turn out if its cold or raining. Meanwhile, coaches roll in from all parts of Scotland and fans like them make a massive commitment in time and financial outlay to support the Dons. They are real fans the backbone of the club. I appreciate for work and family commitments not even the most ardent Dons supporters cannot make games and the cost is outrageous.

Every club has glory hunters we are not alone, Celtic brag about being a big support, strangley enought 25, 000 of them failed to turn up at Parkhead, huge show of non support cannot be arsed mentality

mondo_notion
20-01-2018, 08:53 PM
I may have been on the old caithness buses with you at one time or another,as you will know there are alot of dons fans up north but making games regularly isnt easy

Like I say in original post, it wasn't a dig at any one person or any set of fans in particular especially not folk like yourself who are putting in substantial travelling time to cheer on the dons. I just find it a bit annoying talking to folk (like work colleagues etc) who show no interest in going to games of teams they claim to support.

rico94
20-01-2018, 09:02 PM
At first glance i read "salted camel liquor". I was intrigued. (booze is another thing i miss in my month away)

Do you remember our crowd fluctuations ever not happening as i cant in 28 years. Its just the norm. Sad but true. It wont change whether at Pittodrie, Westhill or wherever.

I have a few friends and family members who class themselves as Dons fans but the only time they have been to Pittodrie in the last 20 years is for the 2 Man Utd friendlies.

I always tell them they are glory hunting Man Utd fans because they are.

Mason89
20-01-2018, 09:51 PM
I would also add I hate Milne, think the club make easy decisions poorly or not at all, do nothing to make the game fairer, hate the manager, think the new stadium plan is barking mad, think supporters wanting the stadium there are barking mad, hate the blue strip don’t like cheering on Celtic players, utterly despise the loyalty point scheme, lack of PATG & if I hear stand free one more time I think I’ll launch myself off the Erskine Bridge.

Apart from that, everything’s peachy. COYFR

nice1simmy
20-01-2018, 09:53 PM
Like I say in original post, it wasn't a dig at any one person or any set of fans in particular especially not folk like yourself who are putting in substantial travelling time to cheer on the dons. I just find it a bit annoying talking to folk (like work colleagues etc) who show no interest in going to games of teams they claim to support.

Well i've worked with dons 'fans' in the past who live in the city and iv phoned them up before i come down to a home match and see if they want to meet up for a pint and go to the game,we meet for a pint but they make excuses not to go to the game,dont understand it tbh,maybe they dont realise what they have in their doorstep and cant be fu#ked going? Dont know but its annoying as fu#k when aberdeen based fans canna be arsed going and we spend half a day travelling there and back

rico94
20-01-2018, 09:58 PM
I guess by some folks opinions on here I am no longer a supporter.

Not been since 15/16 season. 2017 was first calendar year I've not been to a game since c1980. I've been a S/T holder for a lot of those.

TBH not one reason, ill health and concomitant (>;)) pain issues(in getting to/sitting at pittodrie)/lack of income helped to make that decision but to be honest it was the football too. Two of our party had given up previously due to cost/fitba on offer, another was fed up missing tv moved games, my dad (now in his 70's and with problematic knees) was fed up waiting on two busses mid-week. It was pretty much a group decision. We just weren't enjoying game management.

My folks would have happily bought me a ticket but the last season was a chore, combination pain/turgid fitba & honestly I think I've maybe missed it twice. I've honestly been surprised by that but it may change if my health returns 100%. I guess it may be different if I didn't have access to most games on RedTV?

So like I say not one single thing, more a combination. I suspect that goes for most.
Down through the years I've gone to games regularly with maybe 6/7 different groups of people. Only one of those groups still goes.

Pretty sure the rest of them still thinks of themselves as supporters. I do too.

I wouldn’t say you are any less of a supporter obi because of the reasons you gave I think that’s fair enough,I think we were all talking about people who don’t bother going and don’t have any reason not to.

I still think it’s a bit weird you don’t like the football we play now but put up with the tripe on offer for the last 20 years,surely it has been a lot worse than it is now?

afc1903mad
20-01-2018, 10:03 PM
I guess by some folks opinions on here I am no longer a supporter.

Not been since 15/16 season. 2017 was first calendar year I've not been to a game since c1980. I've been a S/T holder for a lot of those.

TBH not one reason, ill health and concomitant (>;)) pain issues(in getting to/sitting at pittodrie)/lack of income helped to make that decision but to be honest it was the football too. Two of our party had given up previously due to cost/fitba on offer, another was fed up missing tv moved games, my dad (now in his 70's and with problematic knees) was fed up waiting on two busses mid-week. It was pretty much a group decision. We just weren't enjoying game management.

My folks would have happily bought me a ticket but the last season was a chore, combination pain/turgid fitba & honestly I think I've maybe missed it twice. I've honestly been surprised by that but it may change if my health returns 100%. I guess it may be different if I didn't have access to most games on RedTV?

So like I say not one single thing, more a combination. I suspect that goes for most.
Down through the years I've gone to games regularly with maybe 6/7 different groups of people. Only one of those groups still goes.

Pretty sure the rest of them still thinks of themselves as supporters. I do too.

It’s just a definition and we could probably debate that ad infinitude.
By my definition, `I am currently a supporter, but there have been times when I’ve just been a fan and probably will be just a fan again in the future.
It all depends what life throws at us.
I meant no disrespect by my own personal definition.

rico94
20-01-2018, 10:21 PM
Maybe I'm actually a masochist? Or maybe I've focused on the fitba aspect rather than accept it's the pain...
Anyway, no offence, but I'm not going to rehash what I don't like about DM's tenure, I've said it all before and not the day for it :)

Not at all obi that’s fair enough,you are entitled to your opinion I was only wondering:)

Goalposter
21-01-2018, 03:31 AM
Im at the other end of the world.
Im a fan and a supporter since i buy the odd shirt and subscribe to redtv and have done for years.

The 1 time i went home , i watched us in the cup when we beat Falkirk years ago.

Travelling from the central belt on my own ( since i was brought up with hibs hearts huns and celtic fans) and it being a 10/11 hour day wasnt an option for me.
No f"cking chance was I doing that every 2nd week.

Btw i really admire supporters who do it but i very much doubt they would go on their own week in week out without knowing anyone there.

Ive regularly watched the dons on my own. Its just not the same.

Pacman1903
21-01-2018, 05:00 AM
What about Embassy Coupon points?

They were for roaches

Pacman1903
21-01-2018, 05:10 AM

Speaking of you being a Fifer. I'm heading down to lino city for Raith v Albion on the 6th of Feb. Fancy a beer and conversations on Cryptic Slaughter, how Megadeth never put on a bad show and how German thrash metal is better than Bay Area thrash metal

cougared
21-01-2018, 10:16 AM
Being a "supporter" is a difficult thing to define. We all have relationships with our club but each relationship might be totally different. My own relationship involves going to virtually all matches - home, away, Europe - travelling 200 miles for home games and very rarely missing games. I am able to do this as I am retired and financially secure. Does that make me more of a supporter than some other people? Does it indicate the depth of my passion for the club or merely that I enjoy a wee trip oot and a few beers with my mates?

I disagree with almost everything Mason89 writes - loyalty points in particular - but is his passion for the club any less than mine because I go to more games? (And have LOADS more loyalty points). Not a judgement I would make or feel that it should bemade.

Defining real supporters takes you down the Green Brigade tick list route:

To be a real supporter you must:

stand at matches
wear a green Liam Gallagher style jacket
love palestine
hate the british army/poppy
vote for independence
read james joyce
drink guiness

Supporting any football club shouldn't be about that.

One of the saddest days I can remember whilst following The Dons was getting beat by Stennie in the cup. A few supporters were vocalising their support for recently-departed boss Willie Miller. Informing them that it was basically Willie's team that was beaten, I got a torrent of abuse about being a weegie b****** and how I should f*** off and support one of the old firm. Having lived in Aberdeen for well over 20 years at that point and certainly not being from Glasgow (or any where with a weegie accent) (Fife) was beside the point. They had their own idea as to what constituted a REAL fan and I wasn't one of them.

Stand Free indeed.

redstarfk
21-01-2018, 10:44 AM
& if I hear stand free one more time I think I’ll launch myself off the Erskine Bridge

Seriously ?.....Click on the link. Please.

https://www.fanchants.com>stand-free-2

donsdaft
21-01-2018, 10:57 AM
Being a supporter obviously means you pay something towards the upkeep of the club.

But it's come to mean more than that and does get mixed up with fan ( fanatic?)

Anyway, one way or another it's your club, you can't change, it's in your blood.

You're dedication to the cause can ebb and flow as life takes it's various turns though.

When relationships end, you can always turn to your first love, home and away.

When there are three kids to feed and the cup game in January is just £20 too much ( despite the fact you have a season ticket) well, sometimes you just have to watch the game on the telly.

Personally I'm at a low point with going every week at the moment.
This frightened me into buying a season ticket because I didn't want to drift away.

Maybe though, soon, my son will decide it's not too uncool to watch the game with his Da or maybe a wee lad I know well will ask his " Granda" if he can have a season ticket and come to every game.

Then maybe the exitement will return.

I look forward to it.

Aldo1983
21-01-2018, 11:06 AM
Being a "supporter" doesn't mean you pay into the club. That's utter pish.

Mason89
21-01-2018, 11:15 AM
Seriously ?.....Click on the link. Please.

https://www.fanchants.com>stand-free-2

I’m probably going to cry myself to sleep tonight

donsdaft
21-01-2018, 11:20 AM
Being a "supporter" doesn't mean you pay into the club. That's utter pish.

Of course it does.

In the same sense that you would support a wife and kids.

Aldo1983
21-01-2018, 11:41 AM
Of course it does.

In the same sense that you would support a wife and kids.

So my old man who can't physically go to games anymore after 80 odd years is no longer a supporter?

donsdaft
21-01-2018, 11:44 AM
I think he's paid in enough to retain the title.

bigj
21-01-2018, 12:06 PM
I think he's paid in enough to retain the title.
If being a supporter of a team was about finance then I also support Rangers, Celtic, Hibs, Hearts etc etc etc as all these clubs and many more I've given money to when following the Dons. Maybe in the Sky tv world of today where most "supporters" never go to games my idea is outdated

donsdaft
21-01-2018, 12:25 PM
F'uck sake, I didn't invent the word.

I did say it have come to mean something different but there's no denying the original definition.

InversneckieDob
21-01-2018, 12:25 PM

What's happened to the auld Watten crew? Nae buses at all now?

I did hear there was a fall out a few years back between two of the main players.

Still see a few of the worthies at the County game usually.

curvasud
21-01-2018, 12:30 PM
Nae a fan of the notion of supporter in a financial sense. Tickets and just about everything cost far too much nowadays.

Anyone who’s ever left the house at 8am and travelled to Dundee/Ross County/Parkhead...sung for the team. That’s a supporter..regardless of costs etc

Aldo1983
21-01-2018, 12:30 PM
F'uck sake, I didn't invent the word.

I did say it have come to mean something different but there's no denying the original definition.

The English dictionary definition;

A person who is actively interested in and wishes success for a particular football team.

Going to a tough school when everyone else "supports" rangers means I've invested plenty already.

EDIT - actually that sounds a bit ****y. Sorry donsdaft.

Mason89
21-01-2018, 12:34 PM
Going to a tough school when everyone else "supports" rangers means I've invested plenty already.

Dumbarton Academy for 6 of Rangers 9 in a row. Shyte fun

Aldo1983
21-01-2018, 12:38 PM
Dumbarton Academy for 6 of Rangers 9 in a row. Shyte fun

I had 6yrs of 9 in a row as well.

donsdaft
21-01-2018, 12:46 PM
The English dictionary definition is a modern twist.

Language evolves however, I accept that.

What must never EVER be accepted though is that the second verse ( football version) of the Northern Lights ends with a tame mumbled repeat of " down at Pitodrie "

It's a proud belted out loud " I've been a SUPPORTER since"

.....and don't you f'uckin forget it.

Mason89
21-01-2018, 12:46 PM
I had 6yrs of 9 in a row as well.

That’s why I flip my lid when Milne publicly bums up the Huns. It makes a mockery of the effort I put in during those years

InversneckieDob
21-01-2018, 01:37 PM
In the space of about five years I've gone from Top Red to part timer.

It's nae one thing.....even when I was still a Top Red there had been a drop off.

I was a season ticket holder for donkeys, close to a couple of decades, travelling week in week out, home and away, from Inverness then Easter Ross.

I do recall something died inside me a wee bit the day of that QoS semi.
That game affected me very, very badly.

I had a season ticket for a few seasons after that....but that was the start of the drop off.

I kept my season during the Craigie B era, but, about that time, I had a drop off in my personal financial circumstances, which made the travel from the Highlands a stretch regularly.

For a couple of seasons I never got the good of my ST, but still renewed by way of a "donation" of sorts, but straitened finances meant that wasn't really an option going forward.

I then dropped to a six gamer then to nothing, theoretically "picking and choosing".
This has now dropped to this season when I've been to one game....County in Dingwall (my second will be a week on Wednesday, same game).

I went to my first game at the Pitt October 1970, this could end up being the first season since then that I don 't take in game in AB24.

Maybe not, we'll see how things pan out.

As others have said, there's been a myriad of reasons for the drop off.

Finances have been a bigee, the desire to not lose a whole Saturday from my busy weekends, the general bent-ness of Scottish Football, the pandering to, and soft treatment given to, Sevco following r*****s' death, our esteemed chairman's espousal on that vile organisation....all factors.

Oddly, I wouldn't say the quality of the product was a major factor, my most Top-Red period, and some of the most fun I've had following the Dons,was the comically poor Skovdahl era. (To Killie midweek.......the lot.)

I guess we all change as time goes on, don't get me wrong, I love the club and will to the day I die, but real world stuff and personal changes have seen that love less overtly manifested.

It may swing back in the future, but I canna see it happening in the short term.

Aldo1983
21-01-2018, 01:39 PM
I always enjoyed the Skovdahl era too. Not sure why. Maybe because all the pressure was off by that point.

InversneckieDob
21-01-2018, 01:43 PM
I always enjoyed the Skovdahl era too. Not sure why. Maybe because all the pressure was off by that point.

It was just a bloody-minded, wilful up yours to the rest of Scotland.

I remember celebrating a 0-0 away at Livi like it was a win when we had a boy (Darren Young mebbe?) sent aff early, there was this kind of Dunkirk spirit crept in as we followed utter p!sh through thin and thinner.

But it was our p!sh and the rest of the world could take a flying f u c k to itself.

Mason89
21-01-2018, 01:44 PM
Same here. Didn’t enjoy some of the results but I had a lot of fun watching Aberdeen under Ebbe.

Aldo1983
21-01-2018, 01:45 PM
It was just a bloody-minded, wilful up yours to the rest of Scotland.

I remember celebrating a 0-0 away at Livi like it was a win when we had a boy (Darren Young mebbe?) sent aff early, there was this kind of Dunkirk spirit crept in as we followed utter p!sh through thin and thinner.

But it was our p!sh and the rest of the world could take a flying f u c k to itself.

The cup final conga summed the feeling up. My non Aberdeen supporting mates were impressed and confused by it. Unpredictability is sometimes a great thing.

Mason89
21-01-2018, 01:47 PM
The cup final conga summed the feeling up. My non Aberdeen supporting mates were impressed and confused by it. Unpredictability is sometimes a great thing.

That’s the drunkest I’ve ever been at the football.

nice1simmy
21-01-2018, 07:06 PM
What's happened to the auld Watten crew? Nae buses at all now?

I did hear there was a fall out a few years back between two of the main players.

Still see a few of the worthies at the County game usually.

Aye the two main boys fell out and there are no buses anymore,a shame cos they went to alot if the games,mainly now just a few boys going down in the car to games

rico94
21-01-2018, 07:32 PM

I used to sit in the upper deck in the Skovdhal days and remember everyone singing for Ebbe to give us a wave and he always did XD

The expectations from fans has risen a lot since then.

Maybe the club need to bring back reds and co and we will all be back to happy clapping like those days.

Pacman1903
21-01-2018, 07:59 PM

Maybe the club need to bring back reds and co and we will all be back to happy clapping like those days..

Be a bit old and haggared now

InversneckieDob
21-01-2018, 08:16 PM
Aye the two main boys fell out and there are no buses anymore,a shame cos they went to alot if the games,mainly now just a few boys going down in the car to games

Loved that bus....meant I got picked up at Alness and didnae have to take my car into Inverness and could take the feed.

Brekkie at the Skiach when Henny was already bladdered.

Happy days!

InversneckieDob
21-01-2018, 08:17 PM

Now yer talking!!!!

rico94
21-01-2018, 08:18 PM

They were a bit haggered at the time.

Jupiter
21-01-2018, 08:42 PM
Maybe the club need to bring back reds and co and we will all be back to happy clapping like those days.

Rules min

Landvetter83
21-01-2018, 08:50 PM
I was reading the cup thread and obviously a lot of people mentioning the poor crowd. Got me thinking why people really don't turn up to support the team they claim to follow.

It's not a go at anyone in particular but just a basic observation.

Over the years I would say I have worked with about 7 or 8 'dandies' but none of them ever go to games. All of them have lived in the city or suburbs so really don't have an excuse. I suppose I should have asked them. They keep up with the dons gossip, like it when we get a win but never part with their hard earned to attend a match.

So are they dons supporters? Sh*t atmosphere, tickets too pricey or really just can't be arsed?

Personally, all this "part-time supporter" bollox has never bothered me. Anyone who has ever worn an Aberdeen scarf or got a surge of adrenaline in anticipation of an Aberdeen score is a "supporter" or "fan" to me. To "support", "follow", "love" Aberdeen is an ethereal partnership you make with the club. The first time I walked up the steps of Section D of the Main Stand with my Dad and Uncle to watch the Dryborough Cup Final in 1971 was the moment I formed my bond with the club. Other people have their own story of why they "side" with the Dons - the fact they do is good enough for me ....

In any case, I was at Pittodrie yesterday and know that I am a #TopRed ;)

rico94
21-01-2018, 08:52 PM
Rules min

I already googled reds and co,couldn’t find any photos.

Mason89
21-01-2018, 08:53 PM
I already googled reds and co,couldn’t find any photos.

Expect a chap on the door from Yewtree officers

Aldo1983
21-01-2018, 08:57 PM

That's what I was thinking. Weren't they wee girls? Some weird "supporters" on here ;)

nice1simmy
21-01-2018, 08:58 PM
Loved that bus....meant I got picked up at Alness and didnae have to take my car into Inverness and could take the feed.

Brekkie at the Skiach when Henny was already bladdered.

Happy days!

Many a time he wis blootered when he got on the bus,aye was good days,used to pick fiona and the inverness reds up on the way down too,nowadays the thurso and wick boys do their own thing,as i said its a hardcore bunch of 5 or 6 boys from each town that just travel by car now

InversneckieDob
21-01-2018, 09:14 PM
I must defo know you.
I was the pick up at Sureclean Alness.
6 4, bald......known as Courty.

Mason89
21-01-2018, 09:26 PM
I must defo know you.

Think I’ve seen a chap answering your description at many games down the years. Big unit

Aldo1983
21-01-2018, 09:33 PM
many games down the years

#TopRed alert

Mason89
21-01-2018, 09:38 PM
#TopRed alert

I should get a million loyalty points for the Albion Rovers game at Fir Park alone.

Toppest Red sh1t that

InversneckieDob
21-01-2018, 10:03 PM
Think I’ve seen a chap answering your description at many games down the years. Big unit

Now, you might be thinking of Big Colin.....nae sure if he still goes.
I'm a big ugly f u c k e r, until about 10 years ago I had quite long hair but when it started to look too much like a combover I got rid.

Now, like a pool ball.

Mason89
21-01-2018, 10:09 PM
Did Big Colin sport a ‘tache?

nice1simmy
21-01-2018, 10:09 PM
I must defo know you.

Nah sorry,i was usually blootered as well ��

InversneckieDob
21-01-2018, 10:12 PM
Did Big Colin sport a ‘tache?

I think he did for a while, he was head of the supporter's group for a while, but that's going back a few years.

I'm trying to mind his second name.

InversneckieDob
21-01-2018, 10:14 PM
Nah sorry,i was usually blootered as well ��

Used to amaze me, I'd be half awake picked up about 730, I'd jump on the bus and you c u n t s would be shapeless!

Dog's abuse off Henny for five minutes then the Skiach for a brekkie.

Great!

Mason89
21-01-2018, 10:18 PM
I think he did for a while, he was head of the supporter's group for a while, but that's going back a few years.

I'm trying to mind his second name.

One of those faces you always used to see, along with the two double denim boys & the wee ginger guy who always looked like he’d been battered the night before.

InversneckieDob
21-01-2018, 10:30 PM
I know oe of the double denim boys quite well, the smaller of the two.
Used to drink with him in the bowling club off School Road pre home games.

erchieplum
21-01-2018, 10:30 PM
Personally, all this "part-time supporter" bollox has never bothered me. Anyone who has ever worn an Aberdeen scarf or got a surge of adrenaline in anticipation of an Aberdeen score is a "supporter" or "fan" to me. To "support", "follow", "love" Aberdeen is an ethereal partnership you make with the club. The first time I walked up the steps of Section D of the Main Stand with my Dad and Uncle to watch the Dryborough Cup Final in 1971 was the moment I formed my bond with the club. Other people have their own story of why they "side" with the Dons - the fact they do is good enough for me ....

In any case, I was at Pittodrie yesterday and know that I am a #TopRed ;)
I pretty much agree with your definition of a supporter , I am now in my 50th year of attending Pittodrie .That programme cover yesterday gave me a chuckle as I remember disappearing down in front of scoreboard to fill in half time scores to back of programme and by the time I got back to Dad ,granda,uncles the scores were well out of date. No one seemed to have a transistor radio in the crowd back then which seems strange but then I have no idea if football halftime scores were actually broadcast at the time

donsdaft
21-01-2018, 10:33 PM
The only Colin I ken that's over 6'6" is Colin Massie, but he's fae the toon.

slyfox
21-01-2018, 10:36 PM
I pretty much agree with your definition of a supporter , I am now in my 50th year of attending Pittodrie .That programme cover yesterday gave me a chuckle as I remember disappearing down in front of scoreboard to fill in half time scores to back of programme and by the time I got back to Dad ,granda,uncles the scores were well out of date. No one seemed to have a transistor radio in the crowd back then which seems strange but then I have no idea if football halftime scores were actually broadcast at the time

I am also in my 50th year of supporting the Dons, seem to remember following anybody who had a transistor radio glued to their ear

donsdaft
21-01-2018, 10:39 PM
Did the live game on the radio not start until 10 minutes into the second half?

Which was ok because it was usually the game from Parkhead / Ibrox and if they weren't winning the game would go on an extra 10 minutes anyway.

I was quite often in King Street before the inevitable equaliser/ winner.

Mason89
21-01-2018, 10:40 PM
I know oe of the double denim boys quite well, the smaller of the two.
Used to drink with him in the bowling club off School Road pre home games.

The one with the long hair & red t-shirt? Honestly don’t think I’ve ever been to a game & not seen him at one point.

The taller one I’ve not seen in ages. Hope he still goes. Me and my brother used to use him as a meeting point if we got separated :)

slyfox
21-01-2018, 10:40 PM

I am also in my 50th year of supporting the Dons, seem to remember following anybody who had a transistor radio glued to their ear at the end of the game to find out the scores. Loved Saturdays programme, reminded me of the early seventies and my first pre match pints. I now live many miles from Aberdeen but still a season ticket holder and will continue to renew no matter where the new stadium is if there is going to be one.

InversneckieDob
21-01-2018, 10:41 PM
The only Colin I ken that's over 6'6" is Colin Massie, but he's fae the toon.

Aye, that's who I meant.
Mason just said he seen him at the games, he wasnae fae up my way.

Mason89
21-01-2018, 10:45 PM
he wasnae fae up my way.

North of Balloch. Aye he was :)

donsdaft
21-01-2018, 10:45 PM
I bumped into Colin on the way to the match at the tail end of last year.

He still goes but has his doubts about a move to Westhill

Mason89
21-01-2018, 10:48 PM
If Colin’s no going, I’m no either

rico94
22-01-2018, 08:28 AM

Calm down I was only joking min.

Aldo1983
22-01-2018, 08:58 AM
Calm down I was only joking min.

That's what Townshend said.

rico94
22-01-2018, 09:58 AM
That's what Townshend said.

Yeah you are right it was in poor taste and I apologies if I offended.

I really shouldn't post on here when I have had a few beers like last night.

Aldo1983
22-01-2018, 10:38 AM
Yeah you are right it was in poor taste and I apologies if I offended.

I really shouldn't post on here when I have had a few beers like last night.

I was only kidding as well. Now I feel bad.

donsdaft
22-01-2018, 11:07 AM
I'm traumatised by the thought that I could be sitting next to someone who fancies girls when I go to the football and not even know it.

F'uckin youngsters nowadays, I despair sometimes.

donsdaft
22-01-2018, 11:08 AM
I thought having a few beers before posting on here was compulsory.

krakowdon
22-01-2018, 08:39 PM
The double denim guy we know as heavy metal mannie with long hair I believe is from Fife, from a previous thread on here. See him at every away game and he had an ST near us in Mainer.

Pacman1903
23-01-2018, 04:57 AM
Me and my bro had a beer in Munich with the double denim dude. Fine mannie. (Aye the double denim guy and nae my bro, hes an assclown)

ILikeJam
23-01-2018, 10:15 AM
I think the specific problem with the crowd on Saturday was the kick off time. Compounded by the fact it was a lower league team (albeit a decent one), early round of the cup and no ticket incentives.

Now that my eldest kid is approaching 5 I've started to notice how everything for kids is geared up to take place on a Saturday morning - swimming lessons, fitba coaching/matches, etc. One of my kid's pals had a birthday party at a soft play that was at 10 till 12, and his own party in a few weeks is the same, which meant he missed his paid-up swimming lesson - and the fitba.

I've got the feeling that all these things are like this because if they were at 3pm on a Saturday they would lose out as people would take their kids to the fitba. The problem is that when the fitba gets changed to an early KO folk will sacrifice going to Pittodrie to keep up the lessons or fitiver. Just look at how empty the Merkland end was on Saturday. If it had been a 3pm KO I'd have been there with the wife and both kids, but we couldn't make it for 12:15

donsdaft
23-01-2018, 10:35 AM
Aye but nobody cares about you, do they?
Not when there's TV money at stake.

I mean what's the difference if your kids grow up as Dons fans that go to the game or just folk that like fitba and are prepared to spend their money with Sky?

All the same really.

In fact it's probably "safer" if they just contribute to the TV money rather than grow into ****agers that might behave badly at the game.

kigoretrout
24-01-2018, 01:17 PM

A lot of you boys are younger than me and I am accused of being a kill joy but that sort of crap had me foaming at the mouth utterly embarrassing and showed how far our team had fallen at that stage. A feckin laughing stock !

vasilyrats86
25-01-2018, 05:27 PM
Speaking of you being a Fifer. I'm heading down to lino city for Raith v Albion on the 6th of Feb. Fancy a beer and conversations on Cryptic Slaughter, how Megadeth never put on a bad show and how German thrash metal is better than Bay Area thrash metal

FFS what ye gaun tae watch those fuds fir?

Starks has an atmosphere like the moon its a soulless ****hole.

Plus I reckon they're plastic jambos to boot

vasilyrats86
25-01-2018, 05:32 PM

Mair than likely I'd watch any game I could get awf my work fir so I'd put some zlotys on hid

Were u on the Wick bus that stopped at everybodies hoose so by the time it crawled into Trumpton and poured everybody awf at the toons clock the boozers were all shut except the lock ins at the Santa Clara ****ing epic days and epic sessions fck knows how my liver is still going

The Watten bus was a good crew tae some top lads there and Skiach hell I mind them going mental at us fir turning up at 7am and the place was deserted and the dame have a row with the Hen that we should've arranged in advance only fir the Pentlands maestro tae say dae ye want business or nae? Fcking class

InversneckieDob
25-01-2018, 07:56 PM
The Watten bus was a good crew tae some top lads there and Skiach hell I mind them going mental at us fir turning up at 7am and the place was deserted and the dame have a row with the Hen that we should've arranged in advance only fir the Pentlands maestro tae say dae ye want business or nae? Fcking class

Were you there the day, pre-Jooooot away, in the centenary when Henny decided, in a state of "strong drink taken", to get on the heid of a table to conduct the singing?

Tom Daly has faaaaark all to worry about.......

mondo_notion
03-02-2018, 02:11 PM
I see we won the best away fans award for the 2nd year running. I tried to find a site to link to but couldn't find anything.

Congratulations to Willie Collum who has also kept his place as the worst referee this year. McLean topped that category.

eastnuekdon
03-02-2018, 05:48 PM
Going by the posts on other threads it would seem what makes a real supporter is;
Piss and moan when we get beat
Piss and moan when we win
Piss and moan about a brand new stadium.
Piss and moan about our manager whether we win or lose.

Oh aye and shoot down in flames anybody who actually says well done team good result the day.
Cheer up you miserable hoors.
COYR

redtaz
04-02-2018, 04:52 PM
agreed that man
i said a similar thing on another thread about our " esteemed " regular posters

Aldo1983
04-02-2018, 05:11 PM
Going by the posts on other threads it would seem what makes a real supporter is;
Piss and moan when we get beat
Piss and moan when we win
Piss and moan about a brand new stadium.
Piss and moan about our manager whether we win or lose.

Oh aye and shoot down in flames anybody who actually says well done team good result the day.
Cheer up you miserable hoors.
COYR

Not sure what's wrong about moaning about the stadium or losing. I don't moan when we win.

How quickly we forget about our capitulations against Celtic and Rangers though. Either some don't learn or some just don't care. Can we really progress if that's the case?

eastnuekdon
05-02-2018, 06:23 PM
I wasn’t saying forget about bad results against the old firm. I was more making a comment that when we have decent results let’s not turn every thread into a miserable rant against the team. A wee bit positivity about the team every now and again wouldn’t hurt.

Aldo1983
05-02-2018, 06:42 PM
I wasn’t saying forget about bad results against the old firm. I was more making a comment that when we have decent results let’s not turn every thread into a miserable rant against the team. A wee bit positivity about the team every now and again wouldn’t hurt.

You said "piss and moan when we get beat".

eastnuekdon
05-02-2018, 06:53 PM
You said "piss and moan when we get beat".

I was just trying to make a point about posters being negative regardless of how or what we do. It doesn’t matter

RED_JOHN
06-02-2018, 07:59 PM
I was just trying to make a point about posters being negative regardless of how or what we do. It doesn’t matter

You are being a bit harsh there....away and roll up your sleeves and put palm upon palm and beat away rapidly . :p

The_Village_Seagull
06-02-2018, 08:17 PM
I am a supporter because I am The Village Seagull.

Pacman1903
07-02-2018, 09:55 AM
FFS what ye gaun tae watch those fuds fir?

Starks has an atmosphere like the moon its a soulless ****hole.

Plus I reckon they're plastic jambos to boot

Had a pint on my own min. Cheers for the hospitality

There was no Cryptic Slaughter on the jukebox

Pacman1903
07-02-2018, 10:02 AM
There is a difference in fan and supporter

Id go as far as saying i am a pretty f@cking avid football fan who loves watching random football, football from Keith to Feyenoord to Raith to Dukla Prague to Buchanhaven Hearts but i have not supported any team in a game that didnt have Aberdeen in it(inclusive of scotland, go on have a go)

The passion of being a football fan can be immense but is a completely different animal from the passion of supporting YOUR team.

Its all down to if you really give a f@ck

Aldo1983
07-02-2018, 12:03 PM

Id go as far as saying i am a pretty f@cking avid football fan who loves watching random football, football from Keith to Feyenoord to Raith to Dukla Prague to Buchanhaven Hearts but i have not supported any team in a game that didnt have Aberdeen in it(inclusive of scotland, go on have a go)

The passion of being a football fan can be immense but is a completely different animal from the passion of supporting YOUR team.

I think I hate football deep down.

Pacman1903
07-02-2018, 12:05 PM
I think I hate football deep down.

So you are nae a fitba fan. You could still be a supporter by my logic

NaeMairNeeps
07-02-2018, 01:39 PM
What makes a supporter? ..... How about, somebody who has replaced one of these .....
........ with one of these ..... ;)

cougared
07-02-2018, 01:42 PM

Like you, I travel far and wide to watch football. Unlike you however I usually need to have some kind of emotional involvement - even if it is only temporary - so I always support (vocally) the home team. Unless it's Barcelona.

Spielführer_1903
07-02-2018, 02:30 PM

Summed up perfectly Pacman.

Weekend ruined or weekend made depending on the Dandies scoreline. I love Friday night fitbaw (lots here in DE) and Aberdeen usually do well on those nights. Just sets you up nicely for Saturday and Sunday.

Have we have ever played either OF on a Friday? Very unlikely.

Back on topic and this is usually a key indicator for me - I've never heard a glory hunter of the Guff leagues listen to the team they claim to support on the radio when their games aren't live on Sky/BT.