PDA

View Full Version : Staying up or fa cup win?

BaggieBlood
03-02-2018, 11:41 PM
Given the choice which would you take?

Fa cup for me, as I have never seen us win anything.

Knowing us we'll go down on goal difference and lose the final on a var assisted pen.

What I cannot decide on is if I would take a Wigan type thurd tier drop for a cup win.

mickd1961
03-02-2018, 11:45 PM
Neither BB.

Relegation and another butt f u c k I n g by Southampton in two weeks time.

I hate the new Wembley anyway,an abomination of a stadium and an insult to what stood there before.

wbaliquidator
04-02-2018, 12:23 AM
The likelihood of us actually winning the FA cup is about 50-1 with some bookies. Relegation is about 4/6. My heart would say cup but from bitter experience I try not to let it run my head anymore and I like the staying up odds much better.
I’d settle for Wembley semi as a final against Man City would be a humiliation seen by the world

Johnny on the spot 1
04-02-2018, 02:39 AM
You have to be in the big time & love it or hate it , the premier is the big time .

BaggieBlood
04-02-2018, 02:54 AM
Being in the prem is where we should be given our current and historical standing, but football is about winning silverware, and that doesn't include thurd division titles like the dings.

It's the big 3 trophies, of which we only have a realistic chance of winning 2 of.

It's 50 years since we won anything of note, so winning either of those trophies would take precedence over a stay in the prem.

Londonbaggie1968
04-02-2018, 07:04 AM
As summed up accurately by Mickd, can only seeing the Saints doing exactly the same to us later this month. But to answer your question, would take staying up any day over winning the FAC as the trophy regrettably is no longer worth what is once rightly was.

holmleighchris
04-02-2018, 08:15 AM
I'd take winning the cup. If we went down we could come back up within a season.
As for Saints beating us again, I'm not so sure. We had a bad injury list yesterday and they weren't great. Very beatable.

Whicka_Mon
04-02-2018, 08:32 AM
FA Cup.
Honestly ask yourselves this.
What league position did we finish in 5 years ago? Or 6 years ago etc. Have to look it up don't you? The reason for this is simple. It's forgettable unless you win something it doesn't matter.
I don't care if the cup is not what it used to be anyone who would rake finishing SEVEN****TH!!! In the league over winning the FA Cup is a symptom of exactly what is wrong with modern day football.

Leicesterbaggie
04-02-2018, 08:59 AM
I honestly believe that we will beat Southampton in the cup. Yesterday, we had too many influential players missing due to injury. This is why I get so angry with the media and Guardiola bleating on about referees not protecting their players. Who protected Krychowiak from being stamped on by the Man. City player. Not deliberate the panel decided! Really? We badly missed him yesterday.

Regarding the question, that's a difficult one. My heart says winning the cup but I'm afraid my head says staying in the Premiership.

boingy
04-02-2018, 02:18 PM
Stuff the cup. No one remembers anything in the championship and It took us 16 years to get out of it. Going down...losing players...starting again, struggling to make the play offs. No thanks. But that's where we are headed.

holmleighchris
04-02-2018, 02:24 PM
Stuff the cup. No one remembers anything in the championship and It took us 16 years to get out of it. Going down...losing players...starting again, struggling to make the play offs. No thanks. But that's where we are headed.

It only took us 5 years to get out of the Championship (Div.2). Albeit the wrong way :D

goodlordmurphy
04-02-2018, 03:13 PM
Premiership and the Cup...feck it I don't have enough seasons to spare to wait any longer...XD

baggieal
04-02-2018, 04:27 PM

Could not agree more Boingy. Pardew should have played 11 fringe players against Man City ( and Rondon ) and kept the best players injury free and fresh for the crucial match. We were never going to win at Man City and Pardew said after the Saints match we looked tired and not as fresh - why the feck did he not play 11 players then who would not figure against Southampton at City!!!! What a prick! Then Pardew goes and drops our best player of late against Southampton - you can't make it up!

PS - It's not Pulis who keeps putting that South American piece of crap in the side!!!!! Pardew will no doubt pick the best 11 for the FA Cup match which to be honest, I could not give a ****e about. We need to stay in the Premiership at all costs!!!!!

Whicka_Mon
04-02-2018, 07:02 PM
No mate only some of us will be heading there. The rest will have their free streams killed.

Albionic68
05-02-2018, 12:51 AM
Could not agree more Boingy. Pardew should have played 11 fringe players against Man City ( and Rondon ) and kept the best players injury free and fresh for the crucial match. We were never going to win at Man City and Pardew said after the Saints match we looked tired and not as fresh - why the feck did he not play 11 players then who would not figure against Southampton at City!!!! What a prick! Then Pardew goes and drops our best player of late against Southampton - you can't make it up!

PS - It's not Pulis who keeps putting that South American piece of crap in the side!!!!! Pardew will no doubt pick the best 11 for the FA Cup match which to be honest, I could not give a ****e about. We need to stay in the Premiership at all costs!!!!!

I think it's fair to say there're some things we disagree on Al', the above being a case in point. Play your games to win, otherwise it's essentially fraud and disingenuous to other teams and your own support.

Understand the argument re' protecting players but the precious little things could very well pull a hammy on the way to the HUMVEE so best to play your strongest side for each game. Familiarisation, togetherness and teamwork goes a very long way.

Should he fk have played eleven fringe players in favour of 'saving' our 'stars' for a relegation battle! Why? In the first instance I didn't pay to attend a reserve/U23 fixture at Man City. In the second instance regardless of who was picked to start against Southampton half of the fkrs didn't turn up anyway.

As for the debate of PL over FA Cup then it's FA Cup every time for me. PL money is all fine and dandy but it means absolutely fk all if you're merely there to exist. I hated the years away from the top flight, not because we weren't there but because we rarely landed a glove on teams of any significance.

It's never a straight choice between one or the other. Our wage bill is high compared to our turn over but most players are on reduced contracts should we drop, those who aren't or who'd be prepared to leave would be of fk all use to us should we drop anyway.

The FA Cup is not the be all and end all of everything but neither is relegation. Wembley is crap but the FA Cup is not. We could get battered along the way but equally we could win. You can't pick and choose which way it goes any more than you can pick and choose who owns the Albion.

Lie down, roll over, pucker up and you'll definitely take it up the schytter. Stand up, fight and you just never know.

ATID and COYB B) .

BaggieBlood
05-02-2018, 02:41 AM
68, our own Churchill, you should have done the team talks on Saturday and maybe our bottlers would not have played with that puckered up way.

They bottled it on Astle day and now on Cyril's day.

baggieal
05-02-2018, 07:32 AM
I think it's fair to say there're some things we disagree on Al', the above being a case in point. Play your games to win, otherwise it's essentially fraud and disingenuous to other teams and your own support.

Understand the argument re' protecting players but the precious little things could very well pull a hammy on the way to the HUMVEE so best to play your strongest side for each game. Familiarisation, togetherness and teamwork goes a very long way.

Should he fk have played eleven fringe players in favour of 'saving' our 'stars' for a relegation battle! Why? In the first instance I didn't pay to attend a reserve/U23 fixture at Man City. In the second instance regardless of who was picked to start against Southampton half of the fkrs didn't turn up anyway.

As for the debate of PL over FA Cup then it's FA Cup every time for me. PL money is all fine and dandy but it means absolutely fk all if you're merely there to exist. I hated the years away from the top flight, not because we weren't there but because we rarely landed a glove on teams of any significance.

It's never a straight choice between one or the other. Our wage bill is high compared to our turn over but most players are on reduced contracts should we drop, those who aren't or who'd be prepared to leave would be of fk all use to us should we drop anyway.

The FA Cup is not the be all and end all of everything but neither is relegation. Wembley is crap but the FA Cup is not. We could get battered along the way but equally we could win. You can't pick and choose which way it goes any more than you can pick and choose who owns the Albion.

Lie down, roll over, pucker up and you'll definitely take it up the schytter. Stand up, fight and you just never know.

ATID and COYB B) .

Understand all your points completely. That said, the bigger teams cheat all the time, and if one or two of our players go down more easily too, we too would have more penalties i.e on Saturday and when were robbed at Arsenal. Sadly, for being honest in life, you usually get nothing!