PDA

View Full Version : Players on the posts

viaductbaggies
05-02-2018, 06:21 PM
Why don’t we have any at corners ?

We all know fosters like a headless chicken with crosses but he doesn’t put any players on the posts

If we did on Saturday they wouldn’t of scored the 2nd goal

Leicesterbaggie
05-02-2018, 07:57 PM

We all know fosters like a headless chicken with crosses but he doesn’t put any players on the posts

On the subject of Foster, I feel that he has looked a lot more confident on crosses since the new goalkeeping coach has taken over. With regards to players on the post, Brunt was initially on the post but moved to cover an incoming Southampton player.

Albionic68
05-02-2018, 08:03 PM

Most teams still have at least one player on a post at corners.

I believe the thinking behind no players on posts for free kicks is to reduce the chance of playing the opposition onside.

Most wall's are far enough out to create a lovely big dead space between the wall and goal line for forwards to run into.

Remember, you can't stand behind the goal line and step forward if required as you need the ref's permission to re enter the field of play.

holmleighchris
06-02-2018, 06:53 AM
You lose a man or two who, it is felt by most clubs, could do a better job marking an opponent/attacking the ball. Some still put one man on a post. You rarely see them make a goal line clearance.

Baggies_Boy_Tony
06-02-2018, 10:46 AM
Another situation I can never understand is why don't we ever leave a man up when the opposition have a corner, if we manage to clear the ball there's nobody available to to put the opposition under pressure and the ball comes straight back, all it needs is somebody with a little pace to put pressure on the defenders?:?

boingy
08-02-2018, 01:45 PM
Another situation I can never understand is why don't we ever leave a man up when the opposition have a corner, if we manage to clear the ball there's nobody available to to put the opposition under pressure and the ball comes straight back, all it needs is somebody with a little pace to put pressure on the defenders?:?

I know times have changed but I remember the damage Willie Johnston used to do when he went wide at the back when we were defending a corner. He would often take up the knock on from a header from the box and be instantly in attack I used to do the same when I was playing just because he did it. It also put the attacking team on edge because if they didnt get the corner spot on West brom were hitting them fast from the back.