PDA

View Full Version : East Stand

PortugueseFrank
09-02-2018, 12:43 AM
To think that Eddie Thompson got a stand named after him for doubling the debt ahead of Dundee United's 1st ever full international and all time appearance record holder Dave Narey.

Everything that is wrong with the current regime. Self congratulatory beyond the pale.

If I was lucky enough to own the club that would be rectified straight away.

It's a joke when you think about it.

psych
09-02-2018, 07:52 AM
No don't accept that. Eddie's heart was in United and he put a lot of his money in. After a bit of reorganisation of finances United were doing just fine and a great youth set up and much of this under his son. The problems started when Stephen decided he wanted to buy Newcastle Jets and investment and loans were suddenly things that had to be repaid promptly and our playing assets pouring out the door. The rest is history.

PUTAMADRE
09-02-2018, 08:18 AM
Won’t hear a bad word about Eddie but his legacy is the death of the club

The club is dead, fans at odds with each other, all assets stripped, next years bonuses for current chairman comes straight out of the honest working fans pocket season ticket sales.

Due to Stephen Thompson’s actions it would not be appropriate for the east stand should bear the name Thompson and possibly another memorial placed elsewhere in tannadice to commerate Eddie.

RAM1971
09-02-2018, 10:09 AM
No way should Eddie Thompson's memory be rubbing shoulders with the likes Of Jerry Kerr or Jim McLean. Eddie wore his United heart on his sleeve and that should be recognised, but as said above, the state the Thompson family has reduced our once proud club to, renders it essential that at the first opportunity, the name Thompson should be greatly downgraded (if not eradicated), and the ET Stand should be renamed.

TerryTheTerror
09-02-2018, 10:36 AM
As I understand it Dave Narey is a very modest fellow so it's hard to imagine him agreeing to a stand being named after him.

NOSCOTCAPS
09-02-2018, 12:59 PM
Most valid point for me here is Dave Narey and all our other greats, large prints, I think like Tynecastle had, should adorn the stands, to give a reminder to the pumpernickel on the park now, what they should be aspiring to, albeit none of them will be fit to lace their boots!

NOSCOTCAPS
09-02-2018, 01:00 PM
Pumpers I meant, bloody auto correct!

PortugueseFrank
09-02-2018, 01:06 PM
Quite like pumpernickek as a way of describing this bunch of players.

NOSCOTCAPS
09-02-2018, 01:28 PM
They are about as static as bread, but never use their loaves!

SmedDUm
09-02-2018, 03:52 PM
They are about as static as bread, but never use their loaves!

They definitely knead to improve.

ahlltanyirhide
09-02-2018, 04:27 PM
They definitely knead to improve.

Dough nut underestimate this group of athletes

PortugueseFrank
09-02-2018, 04:36 PM
Any more performances like Morton and someone will batter them.

RAM1971
09-02-2018, 06:27 PM
This lot aren't getting any more of my dough until they improve.

smirky4
09-02-2018, 06:44 PM
As I understand it Dave Narey is a very modest fellow so it's hard to imagine him agreeing to a stand being named after him.

Agreed......Davie is without doubt one of Uniteds all time greats and i doubt he'll be overtaking by anyone in my lifetime, but i doubt he'd agree to that honour

SmedDUm
09-02-2018, 08:21 PM
This lot aren't getting any more of my dough until they improve.

We were a good team but that was yeasterday.

LSArab
09-02-2018, 08:40 PM
Agreed......Davie is without doubt one of Uniteds all time greats and i doubt he'll be overtaking by anyone in my lifetime, but i doubt he'd agree to that honour

It’s the kind of honour that can’t really be refused

I think Dave would be very deserving. Luggy, Mo M and Paul H are others that deserve more accolades.

We should do far more to honour our amazing history

cybershed
09-02-2018, 08:45 PM
Eddie's heart was in the right place. But he made a few mistakes. It should not be fotgotten that he personally paid £s for those mistakes. But he got it right eventually. Craig Levein was the right man for the job and put us back on the map.

I can't remember the point i was going to make.

But I fear we're in for some hard times ahead.

scoobydufc
09-02-2018, 08:53 PM
Call it "The Legends' Stand, Upper Legends or Lower Legends. Emblason the foyers with photo's and Murals of all the great people and events of The proud history of our club. Some good pics already but let's go OVer The Top

Sutherland Arab
09-02-2018, 09:18 PM
Certainly think the way we're playing and the fixtures sandwich will mean a heel of a job getting promoted. Let's get a win soon and we can go on a roll....
Anyway ET eventually got it right and we were on to a good thing with him and Levein. Didn't have a problem with the sentiment of having a stand named after him, but in hindsight there were/are those more deserving of the accolade.
He shouldn't have passed the club onto his son that's for sure.

cybershed
09-02-2018, 09:40 PM
Yeah, but it is what it is. Eddie is not to blame for our current woes. I would be disgusted if they changed the name of the stand now. Eddie (with Levein) left us in great shape. We'd been struggling for years before the ET/CL era. They brought back respect to Dundee United, and I think we should be happy to have the Eddie Thomson stand.

Pity the current lot have made some bad mistakes too. Maybe, things will turn tho. These things happen in football. I hope.

Hoofballer
10-02-2018, 12:51 AM
Call it "The Legends' Stand, Upper Legends or Lower Legends. Emblason the foyers with photo's and Murals of all the great people and events of The proud history of our club. Some good pics already but let's go OVer The Top

Exactly.....or....leaving the stands named as they are.....can we not rename the exit door “ The **** off back to cafe Nero Steven door “ ......so we never forget the shambles he’s got us in ?

SmedDUm
10-02-2018, 08:35 AM
Does the 'Amalfi end' mean anything to anyone?

Skolcorner
10-02-2018, 09:26 AM
Chips!

Hoofballer
10-02-2018, 10:26 AM
Chipper in Arklay Street..

shedboy71
10-02-2018, 12:00 PM
we want to name a stand after a chip shop?????

Best idea for while tbh :)

RAM1971
10-02-2018, 12:20 PM
we want to name a stand after a chip shop?????

Best idea for while tbh :)

Good idea my dear Garden implement Storage Receptacle etc. How about the east stand at Dens..........the 'Milne Chippie', after Ralphie's Title winning 7 iron effort over the Dees'keeper from 25+ yards?

shedboy71
10-02-2018, 01:09 PM
Good idea my dear Garden implement Storage Receptacle etc. How about the east stand at Dens..........the 'Milne Chippie', after Ralphie's Title winning 7 iron effort over the Dees'keeper from 25+ yards?

XD

offshore_arab83
10-02-2018, 03:36 PM
Being honest ive always called it the East stand

Yes Eddie got us into this mess but the name of a stand is low doon on priorities of worry

Chips_OToole
11-02-2018, 11:11 PM
Chips!

you rang?

Chips_OToole
11-02-2018, 11:16 PM
MMJ is taking us down at a rate of knots

He needs to f **k right off now and the stand needs renamed. Bullsh*tting bast**d