PDA

View Full Version : Mowbray ..

Saxo1man41
19-02-2018, 11:17 PM
I'm of an opinion he doesn't want to win by large margins, as that may disrespect opponents at this level..

AucklandRover
20-02-2018, 12:02 AM
Saxo - don't be naive! This is sport. It has a huge number of unpredictable elements. You can't "work out" how many you want to win by. It's hard enough to win at all. Are you saying the players are under orders to miss a few chances deliberately? I'm sure that would go down well with Danny Graham.
Mowbray is a thinker. Who knows, perhaps too much so at times.
We are short of natural wide players, so he used three at the back, two holding midfielders and hoped that wing-backs would do the job. It didn't work at all, especially as Bury counter-attacked quite effectively.
The changed team looked much more comfortable, but TM couldn't read in advance that we wouldn't get the desired impact from the wing backs.
We are still in a position of having to accommodate a number of players who like the same position. To exaggerate slightly, we have six good strikers, but no out-and-out wingers. I would really like to see Chapman fit and ready, but even that would mean dropping one from Armstrong, Payne, Dack and Graham.
It's not like the old days, with a fairly obvious best eleven and a fixed formation.

Saxo1man41
20-02-2018, 12:10 AM
I'm not having a go at him, just a thought. If we started steamrollering teams at this level, what would happen? The lesser players would start kicking us probably, causing us injuries.

Mowbray has preached all season, 'respect the opposition'..

I wouldn't be surprised anyway.

AucklandRover
20-02-2018, 12:45 AM
I'm not having a go at him, just a thought. If we started steamrollering teams at this level, what would happen? The lesser players would start kicking us probably, causing us injuries.

Mowbray has preached all season, 'respect the opposition'..

I wouldn't be surprised anyway.

I reckon that may partly stem from the lessons of the first two games.
Whatever was said in advance about taking nothing for granted, I suspect some of the players thought we would walk this league.
They got a rude awakening!
Mowbray is open to the criticism of over-deliberating at times, but I am happier with a manager who thinks ahead but is capable of admitting he's wrong - and changing things accordingly - than one who is like a rabbit in the headlights.
Remember Keane? Nothing was ever his or the team's responsibility.

Saxo1man41
20-02-2018, 01:09 AM
I reckon that may partly stem from the lessons of the first two games.
Whatever was said in advance about taking nothing for granted, I suspect some of the players thought we would walk this league.
They got a rude awakening!
Mowbray is open to the criticism of over-deliberating at times, but I am happier with a manager who thinks ahead but is capable of admitting he's wrong - and changing things accordingly - than one who is like a rabbit in the headlights.
Remember Keane? Nothing was ever his or the team's responsibility.

Well he's taking stick from a few on brfcc again, but I'm not joining in.

A solid reasonably comfortable professional 2-0 was enough for me to be content.

If we do that in the majority of remaining games, we've a good chance of auto promotion.

Saxo1man41
20-02-2018, 01:53 AM
When you say Keane, do you mean Roy or Steve (Kean)?

AucklandRover
20-02-2018, 02:14 AM
When you say Keane, do you mean Roy or Steve (Kean)?

Sorry, Saxo. Steve Kean. I've made that mistake before.

AucklandRover
20-02-2018, 02:20 AM
Well he's taking stick from a few on brfcc again, but I'm not joining in.

A solid reasonably comfortable professional 2-0 was enough for me to be content.

If we do that in the majority of remaining games, we've a good chance of auto promotion.

I don't mind the ones who criticise him for specific mistakes. What I can't really understand is why so many posters had made up their mind in advance to dislike or hate Mowbray, and now still ONLY look for negatives.
Surely, he's miles better than most of our recent managers, and - leaving ability aside for a moment - I find it so refreshing that he honestly tells us what his thoughts are, rather than blabbering on only in "manager-speak"!
Also, he comes across as a thoroughly decent man.

Saxo1man41
20-02-2018, 02:26 AM
I don't mind the ones who criticise him for specific mistakes. What I can't really understand is why so many posters had made up their mind in advance to dislike or hate Mowbray, and now still ONLY look for negatives.
Surely, he's miles better than most of our recent managers, and - leaving ability aside for a moment - I find it so refreshing that he honestly tells us what his thoughts are, rather than blabbering on only in "manager-speak"!
Also, he comes across as a thoroughly decent man.

Said that since he joined us, nice guy. I also used to respect him as a good pro when a player.

robinrover
20-02-2018, 06:21 AM
I really do not believe this saxo
City,Barcelona aside it's very difficult to get massive victories unless you have world class talent on hand
Now I appreciate where you are coming from in regards to the size and look of our squad however teams raise their game against us so it gets tricky to completely play teams off the park.

Despair
20-02-2018, 09:45 AM
I really do not believe this saxo
City,Barcelona aside it's very difficult to get massive victories unless you have world class talent on hand
Now I appreciate where you are coming from in regards to the size and look of our squad however teams raise their game against us so it gets tricky to completely play teams off the park.

Seconded !

We now have a wealth of talent and as far as I can tell there’s good team spirit there .
It would seem that each of them are happy to wait their chance, which is a great position for a manager to be in. But also, as said on here, gives him a nice dilemma in selection.
This is the ‘tinkering’ that ensues and with that, some works some doesn’t. But this man has the nous to react timely to switch it.
It must be a devil of frustration for the opposing manager.

As for the ‘showboating’ bit, there was a short period towards the end where they did do some and straight after I said to my watching buddy that there’s a rash challenge coming in any minute - it did.
In discussing it took me back to that ultra showboating act by Leeds (vs Southampton?) that was a tad distasteful (characterful of their manager) . That’s why they are still hugely disliked to this day. Hell of a side though.

champs95
20-02-2018, 10:43 AM
Its a good point this. I've always had a slight i8ssue with clubs with no class.
I had a HUGE issue with a crappy little club like Swansea (who had happened to find themselves in a good position after decades in the wilderness) and they got into the league cup final vrs Div2 Bradford City. They unluckily had the keeper sent off and it ended 5-0 .....Swansea forgetting where they had come from, took the opportunity to embarrass their Div2 opponents, and started show boating etc and really rubbing it in. They did the same vrs Notts County the other week in the cup replay.
When the great Liverpool side met a lower league oppo, it would often end 3-0. Once the game was over, they would not go to embarrass their opponents. they showed respect.
Mowbray has been respectful all season long. We got a very big shock early on, and learnt from that. Like any good side/manager would.
Although some (who clearly don't understand football) call it 'tinkering' TM picks a specific side to beat the side we are playing. It changes week by week, dependant on form, who we are playing, but also with an eye on the next game coming up.
I'm no fan of Evans, but Smallwood is a booking away from a ban, Travis is suspended so Evans needed game time. Personally I would've played Payne, he was quality when he came on. But it did make sense.
Bell will come good, especially next season in the Champ. You simply cant drop Williams who has been outstanding all season, so it will be good cover to have in the final 13 games.

Despair
20-02-2018, 10:56 AM
Just maybe that bit towards the end was brought on by the stupid booing off element in our ‘home support’ in annoyed reaction. When I say showboating it was more keep ball in terms of seeing the game out without making it a time wasting excercise
This is though the home support ‘mentality’ I referred to prior to our last home game before. I do actually fear the damage this section can do over our run in period. Some of them might as well relocate themselves into the away contingent.
They seem to be of the mind that if it’s not 3 or 4 up per half it’s just not good enough. Sad really.
Yes, on reflection overall that game (putting aside their forwards poor accuracy) could well have been 4 or 5 nil.
But it wasn’t , it’s the 3 max points that counts first and foremost.

In Dyche We Trust
20-02-2018, 06:44 PM
Great man is mowbray - you should look to keep him for the next 40 years

champs95
26-02-2018, 02:04 PM
Great man is mowbray - you should look to keep him for the next 40 years

Turns out your on your own ......

http://boards.footymad.net/showthread.php?t=38214721&page=4&p=38813089&posted=1#post38813089