PDA

View Full Version : Bar Facilities NYS

bogsdollox
21-02-2018, 08:40 AM
Earlier this year I visited Oakwell and went in the Supporters club bar (Neil Redfearn Bar)with a friend.Beer was £2-50 pint for Acorn Blonde and same for lager .Percy Turner pies for a quid .It was warm,plenty of seating with big screen replays and raffles for players memorabilia.
Why cant we have a supporters club bar at the NYS run by volunteers to work alongside our current refreshment facilities which are quite basic and are quite poor being next to the bogs and theres always someone bumping into you .
I guess RUFC franchise out the facilities but I'm sure a bar for season ticket holders would be self sufficient and a more enjoyable environment than being stood by the bogs which smell of cigarette smoke and piss paying too much for beer and food - if the club want you to spend more money on refreshments and would like us to stay for a beer after the match they need to make it a pleasant experience .

caytonmiller
21-02-2018, 08:48 AM
Think someone mentioned it would take trade away from the town centre pubs so not sure the council would grant a license

Pattylallacks2
21-02-2018, 09:24 AM
Earlier this year I visited Oakwell and went in the Supporters club bar (Neil Redfearn Bar)with a friend.Beer was £2-50 pint for Acorn Blonde and same for lager .Percy Turner pies for a quid .It was warm,plenty of seating with big screen replays and raffles for players memorabilia.
Why cant we have a supporters club bar at the NYS run by volunteers to work alongside our current refreshment facilities which are quite basic and are quite poor being next to the bogs and theres always someone bumping into you .
I guess RUFC franchise out the facilities but I'm sure a bar for season ticket holders would be self sufficient and a more enjoyable environment than being stood by the bogs which smell of cigarette smoke and piss paying too much for beer and food - if the club want you to spend more money on refreshments and would like us to stay for a beer after the match they need to make it a pleasant experience .

Totally agree. It would beat having to scrum for a pint in the pubs or drink weasel p1ss at the ground

Brin
21-02-2018, 09:45 AM

Brilliant idea email Steve Coakley at the club and ask him for his views on this.

audimiller
21-02-2018, 10:17 AM
Ask him if they could use one of the larger empty spaces as the goal zone area for kids too. Would be better than the out of the way up 4 flights of stairs cramped up room with 1 table tennis table 1 xbox 1 activity wall and a tiny kick about area, which if you get more than half a dozen kids in your stood about ages waiting for something to become available. Could serve pop, crisps, sweets and bottled alcohol for the adults if allowed. UTM

bogsdollox
21-02-2018, 10:35 AM
email sent to Steve - I ill publish his reply guys !

wrinkly
21-02-2018, 10:56 AM
The catering is contracted to Centreplate, formerly the Lindley group.

It is highly unlikely that the club would be able to create, or allow, competition within the stadium.

Whilst that contract exists I guess we are stuck with what we've got which, I agree, could be much better.

Things may change , although the club has renewed the contract at least once since the stadium opened, so they appear to be happy with the set-up.

gm_gm
21-02-2018, 11:01 AM

It is highly unlikely that the club would be able to create, or allow, competition within the stadium.

Whilst that contract exists I guess we are stuck with what we've got which, I agree could be much better.

Things may change , although the club has renewed the contract at least once since the stadium opened, so they appear to be happy with the set-ip.

You're probably right Wrinkly, the biggest problem is that the service hasnt really improved at NYS. There can be four people service one person as slow as they can which is off putting.

Lessons dont ever seem to be learned though, I dont bother now

wrinkly
21-02-2018, 11:28 AM
I'm still waiting for my gigantic pre-match pizza (just over a minute in) and all the stylish smart-casual folk to turn up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YRavFlKSRE

MILLERSTALE
21-02-2018, 11:41 AM
I'm still waiting for my gigantic pre-match pizza (just over a minute in) and all the stylish smart-casual folk to turn up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YRavFlKSRE

I’m still waiting for the magical lighting show we were promised and a loudspeaker system you can actually hear in the East Stand.

rolymiller
21-02-2018, 12:10 PM
What a fantastic likeness that is of the real thing and then it was still a pipe dream for many. We are very lucky when you consider other newly built grounds like the one at Shrewsbury. There is just no comparison is there? And in the town centre too the poor location of its new stadium is summat that is biting shrews fc on the bum now. Yep booze and snap facilities could and should be better at NYS but I can't help feeling home and away fans get a bit spoiled at NYS.

millertop
21-02-2018, 12:35 PM

Whilst that contract exists I guess we are stuck with what we've got which, I agree, could be much better.

Things may change , although the club has renewed the contract at least once since the stadium opened, so they appear to be happy with the set-up.

I’ve mentioned this before, worst thing the club did giving them the contract, upstairs might be fine but they shouldn’t be in the concourse

millertop
21-02-2018, 12:37 PM
Totally agree. It would beat having to scrum for a pint in the pubs or drink weasel p1ss at the ground

I took mine back last game, they seem to think I’m talking another language when I complain so I told him to drink it, he declined >:)

millertop
21-02-2018, 12:56 PM
Think someone mentioned it would take trade away from the town centre pubs so not sure the council would grant a license

Don’t club already have a license selling alcohol?

Owners of 1925 bar are doing a wine bar/ restaurant at same building which is just across from council offices so don’t see where it’s taking trade from Town

millertop
21-02-2018, 12:58 PM
I’m still waiting for the magical lighting show we were promised and a loudspeaker system you can actually hear in the East Stand.

I told them to turn it down in west stand XD bloody dealing at times

caytonmiller
21-02-2018, 01:23 PM
Don’t club already have a license selling alcohol?

Owners of 1925 bar are doing a wine bar/ restaurant at same building which is just across from council offices so don’t see where it’s taking trade from Town

Not sure if rufc would hold the license or the people doing the contract.
I remember a sim thread a while back and think someone mentioned this...
Maybe it was rotherbiz

mikemiller
21-02-2018, 01:42 PM
Not sure if rufc would hold the license or the people doing the contract.
I remember a sim thread a while back and think someone mentioned this...
Maybe it was rotherbiz

A supporter's club bar doesn't seem to be a problem for say, Orient or Rochdale though. Maybe RUFC should contact them to find out how to do it properly

wrinkly
21-02-2018, 02:15 PM
What a fantastic likeness that is of the real thing and then it was still a pipe dream for many. We are very lucky when you consider other newly built grounds like the one at Shrewsbury. There is just no comparison is there? And in the town centre too the poor location of its new stadium is summat that is biting shrews fc on the bum now. Yep booze and snap facilities could and should be better at NYS but I can't help feeling home and away fans get a bit spoiled at NYS.

I agree Roly. The video was very close to the final product. If I remember correctly the pizza restaurant was one of the ideas for the units and would have been a franchise. Obviously no business took up the opportunity (and possibly couldn't at present depending on the terms of the catering contract)

I think we are very lucky to have such a fantastic stadium and the shortcomings on the hospitality side (for us riff-raff at least - the corporate hospitality is very good) are more of a bit of a shame than a disaster.

I very much doubt that drinks licensing for any future supporters club/ST holders bar would be a problem.

millertop
21-02-2018, 02:18 PM
I told them to turn it down in west stand XD bloody dealing at times

Deafening not dealing :rolleyes:

caytonmiller
21-02-2018, 02:18 PM
Agree though it depends who's pulling the strings. I think Rotherham council have a big say in what rufc can and can't do.
Personally I can't see why we shouldn't have a fans bar. I wouldn't use it but loads of folk would. How profitable it would be I'm not sure

Donmiller
21-02-2018, 02:25 PM
Whilst Lindleys have the contract at NYS we will not see a bar/pub anywhere within the grounds of NYS.

I don't even see what they bring to us: under-trained staff, overpriced and don't even get me started on the pints they have on draught; one week they taste fine the other they taste like cat p1ss, either drink that or take out a small loan to get a round of bottled drinks in. A very poorly run agreement.

millertop
21-02-2018, 02:31 PM
Whilst Lindleys have the contract at NYS we will not see a bar/pub anywhere within the grounds of NYS.

I don't even see what they bring to us: under-trained staff, overpriced and don't even get me started on the pints they have on draught; one week they taste fine the other they taste like cat p1ss, either drink that or take out a small loan to get a round of bottled drinks in. A very poorly run agreement.

Spot on, I’ve complained to their manager at the ground (don’t think he works there now) E-mailed club but probably wasted my time.

Not to worry though I’ll just go elsewhere and get to ground just before KO

wrinkly
21-02-2018, 02:33 PM
Agree though it depends who's pulling the strings. I think Rotherham council have a big say in what rufc can and can't do.
Personally I can't see why we shouldn't have a fans bar. I wouldn't use it but loads of folk would. How profitable it would be I'm not sure

The Barnsley Bar is non-profit. 50% of the money goes to the Academy and all profits to local charities.
Holds 150 customers on a one in, one out policy

Donmiller
21-02-2018, 02:46 PM
The Barnsley Bar is non-profit. 50% of the money goes to the Academy and all profits to local charities.
Holds 150 customers on a one in, one out policy

What a brilliant idea, I would actually much prefer that- a selling point to get customers in too

bogsdollox
21-02-2018, 03:07 PM
Response from RUFC below - which in a nutshell is a NO.They want a 7 day option on the unit and it would entail great deal of investment- there must be a glut of pub furniture with so many pubs closing every week. So you wont see me spending time or money in our current facility unless I'm calling for p**s .
"Thanks for your e-mail.
Utilising one of the currently vacant corner units for a further enhancement to our catering provision is something that we’re contumely monitoring and have looked at several potential solutions, all of which require a significant amount of capital expenditure, some more so than others depending on the final usage. In an ideal world it would be a seven day a week operation rather than a purely matchday facility to get maximum value, both in financial and in usage terms.
Whilst we’ve obviously always been very keen to look to progress with such a project we have to ensure that it has long term financial viability.
We continually look at improvements throughout the stadium and this is an area that comes without exception.
Please be rest assured that this is a potential project that is always on the table and, as mentioned, we constantly all visit opportunities as and when they are discovered.
Once again, thank you for your e-mail and enjoy the rest of, what promises to be, an exciting end to the current 2017/2018 campaign.
Kind regards,
Steve Coakley
Commercial Director

millavanilla
22-02-2018, 06:58 AM
Id rather buy someone else a pint in a pub rather than be ripped off in the concourse after that explanation...I thought the whole idea of football was to get fans in, not out...its still got that "you ought to be gratefull we're letting you come " feel to it sometimes...especially with the big brother stewarding approach...

Donmiller
22-02-2018, 10:14 AM
Id rather buy someone else a pint in a pub rather than be ripped off in the concourse after that explanation...I thought the whole idea of football was to get fans in, not out...its still got that "you ought to be gratefull we're letting you come " feel to it sometimes...especially with the big brother stewarding approach...

The stewards at NYS are something else. I have never come across such an arrogant self-entitled set of stewards at any other club, most of them just let you get on with it in the concourse. Ours get giddy over a crisp packet flying about, they are one of the worst things about this club. They act like we're all criminals and up to no good.

millertop
22-02-2018, 10:20 AM
The stewards at NYS are something else. I have never come across such an arrogant self-entitled set of stewards at any other club, most of them just let you get on with it in the concourse. Ours get giddy over a crisp packet flying about, they are one of the worst things about this club. They act like we're all criminals and up to no good.

Yes I’ve noticed a few (not all) there’s one in WS that talks a load of bollox.

Agree about away stewards, might get odd one or two but they’ve always been easy to approach and welcoming, know how to have a laugh

great_fire
22-02-2018, 10:31 AM

They're crap everywhere, guess they're the cheapest.

Overpriced as well as you say, pies should be no more than £3 IMO.

Ericsladkilnhurst
22-02-2018, 10:39 AM
At Millmoor there was a suppoters club, next to the Railway end near the tea bar, my father was one of the original people who set up the supporters club at Rotherham United, while working on a match day in the supporters club selling tickets.
Just after kick off he would walk from the club, behind the touch line & go into the terracing by the players entrance, I still have a picture of my dad holding the first ever enlarged Mayday prize cheque.
There were good die-hards for the club, in setting the supporters club up, with my father, Big Ron, Charlie Smelt & many more, the Millers were in their heart.

Brin
22-02-2018, 10:49 AM
At Millmoor there was a suppoters club, next to the Railway end near the tea bar, my father was one of the original people who set up the supporters club at Rotherham United, while working on a match day in the supporters club selling tickets.
Just after kick off he would walk from the club, behind the touch line & go into the terracing by the players entrance, I still have a picture of my dad holding the first ever enlarged Mayday prize cheque.
There were good die-hards for the club, in setting the supporters club up, with my father, Big Ron, Charlie Smelt & many more, the Millers were in their heart.

Nice story. I took my lad to it once when he was very young.

Ericsladkilnhurst
22-02-2018, 10:50 AM
Lindley's manager at the NYS was Lee Taylor from Mexborough, he is a big mate of one of my son's, Lee also managed Sheffield Wednesday & Celtic for the Lindley group, but when the Owls dropped on a home match same has the Millers, Lee was always at Hillsborough, & another bloke took over at the NYS.Lee got me a Football with all the Millers players signatures a few years ago, in a promotion year with Steve Evans, a nice present for taking him & my son to Donny airport.

bogsdollox
22-02-2018, 11:01 AM
Lindley's manager at the NYS was Lee Taylor from Mexborough, he is a big mate of one of my son's, Lee also managed Sheffield Wednesday & Celtic for the Lindley group, but when the Owls dropped on a home match same has the Millers, Lee was always at Hillsborough, & another bloke took over at the NYS.Lee got me a Football with all the Millers players signatures a few years ago, in a promotion year with Steve Evans, a nice present for taking him & my son to Donny airport.

As you know him could you ask if we can have a decent bitter instead of the moose piss called John Smiths and a decent Lager (for the whimps) to replace Fosters which is an Australian word originating from the aborigines meaning kangaroo piss. Having said that they would have to train the living dead behind the bar how to pull a pint.

Monkey46
22-02-2018, 11:03 AM
It would also relieve queuing at the existing food bar, which tbh do look like an after thought in the stadium. UTFM!!

millertop
22-02-2018, 11:10 AM
Office@rotherhamunited.net

If you all complain (them that are not happy) by e-mail then they might eventually do something about the food/alcohol bar.

I’ve already started going in later than normal and don’t even bother at HT to queue

PokerMillersSwinton
22-02-2018, 12:19 PM
Linleys pay us 1.6 million a year they set the prices and take a massive cut on all food so of course they want there money back . Prices are very high compared to all lg 1 clubs 20%/30 higher in most cases . Take a sausage roll £2.00 quid most places £2.80 here .Soft drinks are heavily hiked up as well . Personally can we afford to lose a guaranteed 1.6 million and risk going it on our own with buying stuff in and selling it.

Donmiller
22-02-2018, 12:23 PM
Linleys pay us 1.6 million a year they set the prices and take a massive cut on all food so of course they want there money back . Prices are very high compared to all lg 1 clubs 20%/30 higher in most cases . Take a sausage roll £2.00 quid most places £2.80 here .Soft drinks are heavily hiked up as well . Personally can we afford to lose a guaranteed 1.6 million and risk going it on our own with buying stuff in and selling it.

Apologies, I'm not familiar with the ins and outs of catering or the business world for that matter, why do they pay us 1.6 million? Surely it should be us paying them to use their services/staff/food etc? Genuinely curious

PokerMillersSwinton
22-02-2018, 12:55 PM
Apologies, I'm not familiar with the ins and outs of catering or the business world for that matter, why do they pay us 1.6 million? Surely it should be us paying them to use their services/staff/food etc? Genuinely curious

They pay us because we are selling there food they take a massive profit from all sales and hospitality . Its basically like saying i have 5000 pies to sell i will give you x amount to sell them up front but i want 90% of ever sale hence the high prices. i think the deal was made public . i will look for it.

PokerMillersSwinton
22-02-2018, 12:59 PM
https://www.thecaterer.com/articles/343403/lindley-wins-61m-deal-at-rotherham-united-fc

6.1 over 5 years so it runs out this season maybe? so a bet less than 1.6 a season got my figures twisted there.

Donmiller
22-02-2018, 01:10 PM
https://www.thecaterer.com/articles/343403/lindley-wins-61m-deal-at-rotherham-united-fc

6.1 over 5 years so it runs out this season maybe? so a bet less than 1.6 a season got my figures twisted there.

Thanks for this Poker, I never knew this was how it was run I just presumed we pay them and take a percentage of the sales

Ericsladkilnhurst
22-02-2018, 01:26 PM
As you know him could you ask if we can have a decent bitter instead of the moose piss called John Smiths and a decent Lager (for the whimps) to replace Fosters which is an Australian word originating from the aborigines meaning kangaroo piss. Having said that they would have to train the living dead behind the bar how to pull a pint.

I am same regarding John Smith's smooth beer, its total cr*p, I drink real ale & Guinness, a lot of my mates sup the smooth & like it, everybody is different.
But regarding a bar for supporter's in maybe one of the shop outlets in the ground would be to expensive for fans with their children at the prices that would be charged.

MillerBill
22-02-2018, 09:16 PM
I cannot believe that a proper business man has left the ground level units empty for so long.This is madness to ignore potential income for the club.I know a lot of fans have sent some very good suggestions how to use these spaces but the club have not done anything about it.Speculate to accumulate TS,these redundant spaces could be profitable to the club and also a welcome drinking post for the fans,if a couple of the units were turned into a bar.Just think about it,there aren't many new stadiums. who haven't taken advantage of the retail potential that surrounds the stadium.

tony260674
22-02-2018, 09:35 PM
Centerplate/Lindleys renegotiated the original deal and now pay over £1.6m per season. Just to put that in context, that is about the same as the club receives in gate receipts every season. Initially the club was looking to see how Lindleys worked and then take over the contact after a period of time but that proved unfeasible. Centerplate/Lindleys provide a large portion of the clubs budget for the season which means they call the shots.

Casper64Frank
22-02-2018, 11:10 PM
How long will Centreplate/Lindleys call the shots though tony.
My guess is the club won't be rushing in to take it in-house anytime soon, at present it suits the club's purpose.
Personally very rarely buy ale at NYS, far too expensive, same goes for the food.
I do contribute by spending cash in the club shop.
Re the empty units, you can't force business people to set up in the units.

millertop
23-02-2018, 08:12 AM
How long will Centreplate/Lindleys call the shots though tony.
My guess is the club won't be rushing in to take it in-house anytime soon, at present it suits the club's purpose.
Personally very rarely buy ale at NYS, far too expensive, same goes for the food.
I do contribute by spending cash in the club shop.
Re the empty units, you can't force business people to set up in the units.

Centreplate is ok for upstairs and the events that are put on but should never be anywhere near the concourse but thats probably in their contract.
The club will eventually notice fans going elsewhere for food/drink or even fetching their own in.
No you can’t force business people to set up in units but the club are calling the shots who they want or don’t want, I know there’s a few been turned down or decided not to set up because of restrictions

Donmiller
23-02-2018, 09:59 AM
I agree Lindleys should not be anywhere near the concourse and they are making people not spend money at the club

I only spend money at NYS on a match day when I bring my bairn. Be interesting to know how much extra revenue alone the club would make if they sold decent beer at decent prices

CTMilller
23-02-2018, 07:44 PM
On those few occasions I've been over for matches at NYS, I've been seriously underwhelmed by the food and bev. facilities. Long lines, slow service, indifferent product at excessive prices, all in a spartan uncomfortable setting. The overall stadium experience is dramatically let down by what's on offer and I don't even think about buying anything.

As Millertop says, the club will (hopefully) notice that fans are voting with their feet and take action.

This is probably a story that Paul Davis at The Star - or somebody at the Advertizer - could take up. Asking some questions about the clubs intentions through the media might get them to give it more obvious focus...

MillerBill
23-02-2018, 08:47 PM
On those few occasions I've been over for matches at NYS, I've been seriously underwhelmed by the food and bev. facilities. Long lines, slow service, indifferent product at excessive prices, all in a spartan uncomfortable setting. The overall stadium experience is dramatically let down by what's on offer and I don't even think about buying anything.

As Millertop says, the club will (hopefully) notice that fans are voting with their feet and take action.

This is probably a story that Paul Davis at The Star - or somebody at the Advertizer - could take up. Asking some questions about the clubs intentions through the media might get them to give it more obvious focus...

This really does let the club down CT and I wonder whether or not the board fully understand the poor management at ground level bar areas.It may well be very good upstairs but we are getting a bad deal downstairs.It needs a complete revamp because the present lease holder can do a lot lot better.The contract should not be renewed, if as we are led to believe,it is the reason why none of the empty units are allowed, to be used for a supporters' bar,which would be a certain winner for everyone.

tony260674
23-02-2018, 10:39 PM
This really does let the club down CT and I wonder whether or not the board fully understand the poor management at ground level bar areas.It may well be very good upstairs but we are getting a bad deal downstairs.It needs a complete revamp because the present lease holder can do a lot lot better.The contract should not be renewed, if as we are led to believe,it is the reason why none of the empty units are allowed, to be used for a supporters' bar,which would be a certain winner for everyone.

The facts are that the catering contract provides a sizeable portion of the club's budget and the club have indicated that they cannot make such a sum in-house. Whilst I would love to see a supporters bar, I simply cannot see how it could possibly be profitable. Ask yourself how many hostelries are closing down in this area and others even though they have a seven day use. A site that could only be used 23-30 times per year would have no chance of success.

Casper64Frank
23-02-2018, 10:45 PM
The facts are that the catering contract provides a sizeable portion of the club's budget and the club have indicated that they cannot make such a sum in-house. Whilst I would love to see a supporters bar, I simply cannot see how it could possibly be profitable. Ask yourself how many hostelries are closing down in this area and others even though they have a seven day use. A site that could only be used 23-30 times per year would have no chance of success.

You're wasting your time tony.....Economics....

tony260674
23-02-2018, 10:50 PM
You're wasting your time tony.....Economics....

The problem is Casper that if we bin off Centreplate/Lindleys we have to find that money elsewhere or reduce our budget, its that simple. The reason why football clubs use companies such as Centreplate is because they offer the best del for the club financially. Add to that the fact that pubs/clubs are closing all over the place due to a change in drinking habits and it simply isn't a goer.
Bin off Centreplate, pay £5 more on the gate, £100 more per season ticket or have a less competitive team on the pitch, no thanks.

Casper64Frank
23-02-2018, 10:56 PM
Yes I understand all that tony, unfortunately quite a lot of fans don't.

U.T.M.

CTMilller
24-02-2018, 03:15 AM

I don't disagree with any of that Tony. A supporters' bar may not be practical (though other clubs seem to manage it) but there is no reason for the club not to hold Centreplate/Lindleys feet to the fire a little more than they appear to do. These are valuable contracts for third party suppliers and I imagine there is some competition to secure them. I don't sense that we exploit the advantage we have enough when we set these contracts up and consider renewing them.

I go fairly regularly to baseball matches in Oakland and San Francisco and, while the F and B prices are pretty horrendous (compared to street prices) for food and drink, the whole concept of service and general ambience is much better than my experience at NYS