PDA

View Full Version : Burnley takeover

alfinyalcabo
03-03-2018, 10:23 AM
Anybody heard anything about these rumours?

Altobelli
03-03-2018, 10:27 AM
Only these 2 alf.

https://www.burnleyfccommunity.org/sir-john-thursby-students-in-turf-moor-takeover/

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/2843529/burnley-chief-mike-garlick-has-acquired-a-taste-for-keeping-the-prem-league-battlers-in-rude-health/

The Bedlington Terrier
03-03-2018, 11:05 AM
Anybody heard anything about these rumours?

What rumours?

Source?

The Bedlington Terrier
03-03-2018, 11:25 AM
Just seen this Alf...

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/burnley_fc/news/16063085.Burnley_deny_takeover_reports/?ref=mac

alfinyalcabo
03-03-2018, 12:07 PM
Sorry,I forgot to add my link.. Thanks for the links.. No smoke without fire then.. Takeover imminent..lol

Supersub6
03-03-2018, 12:17 PM
Que sera sera! One thing is sure ---none of us will have much say in what happens so I won't lose any sleep.

The Bedlington Terrier
03-03-2018, 01:26 PM
Everton have made £200 million of signings during the 2017/18 campaign.

That's probably why we need the money men to come in to help us with the big money signings and help us to level the playing field up a wee bit!

oldcolner
04-03-2018, 08:26 AM
Just looked at the list of owners and we are one of 6 all British owned clubs, Newcastle, Huddersfield, Brighton, Spurs and Stoke, but our owners total assets of £80m is miniscule compared to the rest.
Our wage bill is third lowest.
Our players are mostly British and Irish.

This would be a miracle if it was on Wall St.
Get the film producers ready if we make the top 6.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_owners_of_English_football_clubs

oldcolner
05-03-2018, 08:17 AM
Times has run a story saying we have signed a non disclosure agreement with some US media investors.
Club denies it, but if they have signed an NDA they would have to, they seem to want cash though.

http://www.insideworldfootball.com/2018/03/05/burnley-deny-180m-takeover-rumour-wouldnt-say-no-cash/

Original
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/football-notebook-investors-set-to-bid-180m-for-burnley-fppkr778v

bfcjon
07-03-2018, 08:54 PM
Times has run a story saying we have signed a non disclosure agreement with some US media investors.
Club denies it, but if they have signed an NDA they would have to, they seem to want cash though.

http://www.insideworldfootball.com/2018/03/05/burnley-deny-180m-takeover-rumour-wouldnt-say-no-cash/

Original
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/football-notebook-investors-set-to-bid-180m-for-burnley-fppkr778v

If we do want to compete,...and not be the next Everton,..ie always there or thereabouts,..but not actually gaining.
Surely this is the only way forward, ?...
Only a matter of time surely ,before we have serious backers,..Its not really an option, Sooner or later, Someone is going to come in.
We must be the Takeover Dream.
Yes I understand the we are Burnley, and do it Our way, But, To compete,improve,, We have to consider it surely.

barrie_burn
07-03-2018, 09:12 PM
I certainly wouldn't be in any hurry.Premier League money is dropping and whilst there is the likelihood of new competitors for Sky and BT entering the market the future is uncertain.Our dry powder room is well stocked.We are happy as we are and can reject any advances from potential asset strippers.

1959_60
07-03-2018, 09:18 PM
Tricky one isn't it Jon?

Certainly fraught with danger - look at Portsmouth, Leeds, Rovers etc etc.

On the other hand Leicester got very lucky.

For sure it is the only way we can compete with the big six, but it could go badly wrong.

It very much depends on WHY someone wants to spend £180 million on Burnley. They are hardly likely to be committed Burnley fans.

And, if they did invest that much money in our club, what input would they expect? Would they sack the manager every six months if results were not up to their expectations? Would Burnley be re-branded?

Let's face it, it is not likely to be the same investment as Chelsea, City, Liverpool etc are receiving.

I agree that offers should be considered seriously but we need to be ultra cautious.

And perhaps our main share holders are thinking that this is a perfect time to cash in?

bfcjon
07-03-2018, 09:40 PM
Tricky one isn't it Jon?

Certainly fraught with danger - look at Portsmouth, Leeds, Rovers etc etc.

On the other hand Leicester got very lucky.

For sure it is the only way we can compete with the big six, but it could go badly wrong.

It very much depends on WHY someone wants to spend £180 million on Burnley. They are hardly likely to be committed Burnley fans.

And, if they did invest that much money in our club, what input would they expect? Would they sack the manager every six months if results were not up to their expectations? Would Burnley be re-branded?

Let's face it, it is not likely to be the same investment as Chelsea, City, Liverpool etc are receiving.

I agree that offers should be considered seriously but we need to be ultra cautious.

And perhaps our main share holders are thinking that this is a perfect time to cash in?

Yes it is a tricky one ,...Stick or Twist,....Stick to mid table/possible relegation.......Twist take on the top six/also relegation...Needs Strong nerves this one for sure...But if we dont try, we will never know :blue:

oldcolner
07-03-2018, 09:57 PM
Yes it is a tricky one ,...Stick or Twist,....Stick to mid table/possible relegation.......Twist take on the top six/also relegation...Needs Strong nerves this one for sure...But if we dont try, we will never know :blue:

Money doesn’t buy points though as many clubs who have done it have found out. It worked for a Rovers under Walker but not with Venkys, QPR, Portsmouth, Bolton just a few. Everton spent £200m for this season and the new owners is building a new £300m stadium whilst they may be relegated. Swansea have struggled.
So do the current owners want to sell or borrow and if so what for. We could be sixth with luck and a following wind as we are. How much higher can we realistically go.
Do we want to move to a new stadium, or spend more on transfers and wages. What would be the pay back for the owner or investor.
Glaziers loaded United with debt so they could buy it.
As others have said we need to be careful, we need a plan. We do have one that Sean has signed up to with current owners, but might he clash with a new paradigm.

bfcjon
08-03-2018, 07:05 PM
Money doesn’t buy points though as many clubs who have done it have found out. It worked for a Rovers under Walker but not with Venkys, QPR, Portsmouth, Bolton just a few. Everton spent £200m for this season and the new owners is building a new £300m stadium whilst they may be relegated. Swansea have struggled.
So do the current owners want to sell or borrow and if so what for. We could be sixth with luck and a following wind as we are. How much higher can we realistically go.
Do we want to move to a new stadium, or spend more on transfers and wages. What would be the pay back for the owner or investor.
Glaziers loaded United with debt so they could buy it.
As others have said we need to be careful, we need a plan. We do have one that Sean has signed up to with current owners, but might he clash with a new paradigm.
No, Money does not buy points,...But my point is,...Mr Garlick,...is in a funny sort of situ..Do Nowt and relegated,..Or pump some money in and maybe get relegated, But also with a chance to break the top six...
We may never be in this position again,....
We HAVE to try ,....otherwise what is the point!!!! :blue:

Supersub6
08-03-2018, 07:29 PM
So, if we took the plunge and then ended up in the same situation as Portsmouth, with large tax bills and letting down local contractors who went bust, then we ended up in administration, thus resulting in a demotion to League Two, you would still be happy to come and watch the team plying their trade in the bottom division and remember how things used to be.

I wonder how many other fans would take that view when, historically, some fans have never been back because the club sold Jimmy McIlroy and then followed that by selling Martin Dobson in order to build a new stand.

Nobody knows what the future holds, however, any take over will really need to be scrutinised carefully by the Club because the FA certainly do not seem to carry out the necessary checks as to who is deemed to be fit to own a club.

oldcolner
08-03-2018, 08:07 PM
No, Money does not buy points,...But my point is,...Mr Garlick,...is in a funny sort of situ..Do Nowt and relegated,..Or pump some money in and maybe get relegated, But also with a chance to break the top six...
We may never be in this position again,....
We HAVE to try ,....otherwise what is the point!!!! :blue:

We are trying, we have a group that work for each other and no one is a big head. You want some marquee signings? They could destroy the group and Sean’s plan. We are slowly slowly catching the monkey and could be in Europe. I don’t want to see the team, and the club destroyed by some multimillionaire who has better ideas than the current directors. Sorry money isn’t everything.

alfinyalcabo
08-03-2018, 08:17 PM
We are trying, we have a group that work for each other and no one is a big head. You want some marquee signings? They could destroy the group and Sean’s plan. We are slowly slowly catching the monkey and could be in Europe. I don’t want to see the team, and the club destroyed by some multimillionaire who has better ideas than the current directors. Sorry money isn’t everything.

Hear hear ,but it would be nice to have a multi billionaire come aboard and say to the board and Sean here's a billion pound for you to buy who you want between you.. It ain't gonna happen though..

oldcolner
08-03-2018, 08:25 PM
Hear hear ,but it would be nice to have a multi billionaire come aboard and say to the board and Sean here's a billion pound for you to buy who you want between you.. It ain't gonna happen though..
The club and town are inextricably linked and we are one of the few clubs left in the PL that are. Mr Big shot from the USA or Asia will destroy the clubs culture. No one gives money for nothing so what’s the pay back going to be?

1959_60
08-03-2018, 08:31 PM
The club and town are inextricably linked and we are one of the few clubs left in the PL that are. Mr Big shot from the USA or Asia will destroy the clubs culture. No one gives money for nothing so what’s the pay back going to be?

Exactly.

They will want full control of running the club if they are to invest £££.

And these type of people tend to have little patience - which does nothing for stability.

Having said that, it COULD work out well, but any potential buyers need to be scrutinised within an inch of their lives.

alfinyalcabo
08-03-2018, 08:46 PM
What we want is someone like Russell Crowe the actor who pumps millions into his beloved Aussie rugby league team The Rabbitohs ..

Have we any money rich Actors who support us? Hmmm I don't think so..

barrie_burn
08-03-2018, 09:02 PM
I'll wear my Burnley shirt when I go to the wedding of Harry & Meghan Markle and see if I can get any reaction

oldcolner
08-03-2018, 09:10 PM
Try his dad, he likes Burnley!;D

afloatinclaret
08-03-2018, 11:17 PM
"It very much depends on WHY someone wants to spend £180 million on Burnley. They are hardly likely to be committed Burnley fans"

I would for one: We reputedly have serious money in the club's bank account/investments already, income from this season's Premiership success is guaranteed and and with our expenditure, we must be looking at a further substantial, probably record breaking profit. Stemming from this season's success, you're looking at a worst case scenario of one more year's Premiership income followed by parachute payments thereafter, so if the £180 million figure's correct - it seems way too low a value to me - then I reckon you could put a business plan together which any number of financial institutions would be happy to back as the current assets and that guaranteed future income alone would be more than enough to repay the whole £180 million.

sinkov
09-03-2018, 02:13 AM
It doesn't matter who the investors are, they'll never put enough in for us to break into and compete with the top 6, the best we can realistically hope for is 7th, and as we've got to 7th without any outside investment, why bother ? The most important thing for us, far more important than any foreign money, is keeping Sean Dyche at the club. He's far more crucial to our continuing success than any amount of foreign investment.

oldcolner
09-03-2018, 08:20 AM
Yes Sinkov and it’s also about his relationship with the Board and players.
As afloat says £180m seems cheap, our players are valued at £113m on Transfermarkt https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/fc-burnley/startseite/verein/1132 and as we know players in demand can fetch two -four times their TM value. So Pope at £4.5m Tom at £3.6 Tarks at £5.6m, Long at £0.5m Ashley £3.6m and many more seem undervalued. Then we have guaranteed income of £200m and more if we stay up, the ground, Barnfield plus cash in hand etc
An asset stripper would make millions at that price.
I can understand the directors wishing to make some money by selling some shares as we are doing so well and getting another monied person to join, but if they give up control and we get another company running us ... help!

The Bedlington Terrier
09-03-2018, 08:27 AM
I still shake my head in wonder how we got almost £50 million for Keane and Gray?

Why people think we need outside investment when we have a money making machine in Sean Dyche I do not know!

Right now, what are Tarkowski, Pope and Gudmundsson worth?

Total outlay £9 million. If we sold the three, £50 million?

outwoodclaret
09-03-2018, 09:38 AM
Nobody knows what the future holds, however, any take over will really need to be scrutinised carefully by the Club because the FA certainly do not seem to carry out the necessary checks as to who is deemed to be fit to own a club.

I quite agree Supersub. The fit and proper test has been a porous net allowing some right sleazeballs to slip through. I am not interested in takeover at the moment. I am more focussed on overtaking the Arsenal!