PDA

View Full Version : Ken Dodd RIP

oldcolner
12-03-2018, 07:20 AM
Died a few days after marrying age 90 and not long after being in hospital for a chest infection.
A man who made your sides ache and keep your legs crossed with the number of jokes and 5 hour shoes.
Died in the house he was born and married in.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-43367267

The Bedlington Terrier
12-03-2018, 07:33 AM
Really not my cup of tea but R.I.P. Doddy.

alfinyalcabo
12-03-2018, 08:38 AM
R.I.P. Doddy

Absolutely gutted to hear this,my favourite comedian ever,seen him many times over the years and always a fantastic performer.. Comedy just won't e the same without Doddy around anymore..>:(

alfinyalcabo
12-03-2018, 09:20 AM
He married his partner of forty years just two days before he died.. Nice one Doddy... ;)

sinkov
12-03-2018, 09:31 AM
I first saw him at Blackpool in the 60s and I'd seen nothing like it before, two hours of non-stop jokes and one-liners, it really did hurt you laughed that much. It has worn thin with me over the years and his Doddy Men stuff is just tedious now, but along with Tommy Cooper and Billy Connolly one of the three funniest men I've ever seen.

Supersub6
12-03-2018, 09:43 AM
I first saw him at Blackpool in the 60s and I'd seen nothing like it before, two hours of non-stop jokes and one-liners, it really did hurt you laughed that much. It has worn thin with me over the years and his Doddy Men stuff is just tedious now, but along with Tommy Cooper and Billy Connolly one of the three funniest men I've ever seen.

Similar experience for me, however, it was Liverpool in the 1950s when I first saw him.
He was still performing right up until very recently and that is proof, if proof were needed, that he had a good fan base and was still in demand. A funny and very clever man who gave pleasure to lots of people over a long career. R.I.P. Doddy

oldcolner
12-03-2018, 01:27 PM
He married his partner of forty years just two days before he died.. Nice one Doddy... ;)

Made her an honest and real Lady at last!

The Bedlington Terrier
12-03-2018, 02:23 PM
Yes indeed. A nice touch that!

malwayne
12-03-2018, 07:02 PM
What a day for going to the Kremlin, knocking on the door and saying “is Len-in ? “ !!!!!!

oldcolner
12-03-2018, 07:16 PM
[QUOTE=malwayne;38826332]What a day for going to the Kremlin, knocking on the door and saying “is Len-in ? “ !!!!!![/QUOTE
Or is Vladimir Puking

Supersub6
12-03-2018, 07:29 PM
Apparently as a tribute to his long shows, his funeral will be next Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and most of Saturday.

The Bedlington Terrier
12-03-2018, 09:00 PM
I always liked the one about his Auntie Betty who had to be asked to leave the beach because the tide was waiting to come in! :?

Altobelli
12-03-2018, 09:58 PM
I went to see him many times as a child with my parents when as Sinkov says the Diddy men was all a rage.

About 9 years ago a Walsall fan (Dave) told me to see him again as he'd dropped the Diddy men and went on for hours with constant jokes, I'd meant to go see him in the last few years but like a lot a things I just didn't get around to it, which I regret.

R.I.P. Ken Dodd

army88
13-03-2018, 09:11 AM
A comedian who was quite prepared to laugh at himself, which is quite a unique trait I think.
I saw him a few years ago and his usual lock the doors when anyone stood up for the toilet etc was still in the show, I knew it was coming but he had a knack of still making it funny.

Supersub6
13-03-2018, 09:52 AM
A comedian who was quite prepared to laugh at himself, which is quite a unique trait I think.
I saw him a few years ago and his usual lock the doors when anyone stood up for the toilet etc was still in the show, I knew it was coming but he had a knack of still making it funny.

You have captured what made people still go to see him time after time ---his delivery was fantastic and he could work an audience out very quickly.
He was due to appear in Darlington later this year and the show was a sell out --not bad for a 90 year old who had been in the business for over 60 years!

oldcolner
13-03-2018, 04:38 PM
Yes indeed. A nice touch that!

Also avoided her paying inheritance tax - he gets the last laugh over HMRC!