PDA

View Full Version : OT Town centre Saturday night.

loyalmiller
01-04-2018, 01:02 PM
What the hell has happened to the night life?

Went to the Indian restaurant on Westgate last night. Parked on Moorgate and walked through town. Couldn't believe how deserted it was! 25 years ago it was heaving, yesterday there was more bouncers and police officers than punters.

On a brighter note Neelagiree was packed and fantastic food!

Pattylallacks2
01-04-2018, 01:07 PM
British Heart Foundation is a bit lively until 5 pm

millertop
01-04-2018, 01:20 PM
They were all in 1915 bar for Martin Kemp

animallittle3
01-04-2018, 01:28 PM
Isn't sunday night the busy night before a bank holiday these days ? .

Barnsley town centre will be heaving today from 4pm onwards .

Not for me thankfully these days , I've had a good bat at that ball .

Couldn't bloody pay me to go into town today supping .

mikemiller
01-04-2018, 02:03 PM
Town centre nightclub type bars in Rotherham seem to have gone out of fashion and have been in decline for a while. Not sure whether the young 'uns are returning to the traditional pubs (some of which now have live music and open until late on Fri/Sat) or they are just skint.

rolymiller
01-04-2018, 02:04 PM
Wicko is the place to be for young uns I believe or at least it was.

millertop
01-04-2018, 02:25 PM
Yes Wickersley is popular now for all ages and plans for extension on courtyard and a micro pub I believe

Hazza Has A Gazza
01-04-2018, 04:53 PM
The bars and nightclubs in town used to have dress codes in the 90's and no doubt long before that too. Smart shirt, trousers and smart shoes or you're not getting in.

Last time I went into town on a night out was about five years ago. There was a lad wearing flip flops and another wearing jog pants, to name just a couple of examples of how standards have slipped.

The busiest places were indeed the pubs.

Wickersley is the place for posers and ten bob millionaires and always has been.

Shark27
01-04-2018, 05:03 PM
Wickersley is the place for posers and ten bob millionaires and always has been.

...and the place to go if you want to go to a few bars in Rotherham with a bit of atmosphere.

rolymiller
01-04-2018, 05:10 PM
I suspect there is an elephant of truth in that remark Hazza;D Mind you i suspect I did an element of posing in adam and eve in the town centre in me hay day.

sota
01-04-2018, 05:31 PM

Quite a few bona fide ones too, probably more than you realise.

sota
01-04-2018, 05:36 PM
I think the nightlife starts later on in the evening. Last time I was in Rotherham I stayed at a mates and his young daughter and her mate didn't go down town until almost midnight and got back around 6:00am. They said the bars were heaving. Times have changed in both senses of the word I suppose.

great_fire
01-04-2018, 05:48 PM
Wickersley is obviously better than the town centre but you're getting two many chav types there as well now.

great_fire
01-04-2018, 05:52 PM
I think the nightlife starts later on in the evening. Last time I was in Rotherham I stayed at a mates and his young daughter and her mate didn't go down town until almost midnight and got back around 6:00am. They said the bars were heaving. Times have changed in both senses of the word I suppose.

Rotherham is pretty much dead, you have to go to Leeds or Sheffield, Leeds being better.

Sheffield was the place to go when I was younger though; Palais/ Music Factory/ Republic /Gatecrasher.

Grist_To_The_Mill
01-04-2018, 06:03 PM
The rapidly changing demographics of Rotherham, there are bound to be changes and traditional things lost.

Archiemiller
01-04-2018, 06:28 PM
Only go through town on matchdays, full of down n outs, scrubbers and horrible immigrants(probably illegal most of em) it makes me sad to say it and see it, so i keep away. :(

sickly_child
01-04-2018, 07:41 PM
Bring back the Dickens.

ThryberghMILLER23
01-04-2018, 07:59 PM
Bring back the Dickens.

Rotherham town centre is shocking for a night out and I'll be surprised if there's any clubs going in 5 years time. Its the same in many areas such as Rawmarsh and Swinton, which were both great days out most weekends but now are shocking. Wickersley has it's element of big time Charlie's but is probably the best night out sadley. I like the Three Horseshoes up there as it's a bit more down to earth.

BramleyMiller58
01-04-2018, 08:11 PM
Pains me to say it but Rotherham Town Centre is horrible, full stop.

I rarely go in nowadays TBH but when I do feel alienated in my home town and can't wait to get out which is a great shame

KerrAvon
01-04-2018, 08:27 PM
I think the nightlife starts later on in the evening. Last time I was in Rotherham I stayed at a mates and his young daughter and her mate didn't go down town until almost midnight and got back around 6:00am. They said the bars were heaving. Times have changed in both senses of the word I suppose. That's certainly the case in the town close to where I live; the current trend is to drink at home on cheap supermarket alcohol before topping up in the town centre after midnight.

rolymiller
01-04-2018, 08:47 PM
Certainly think the age of town centre pub attenders has gone up at week ends. You get a lot of old buggers tottering about in the Wetherspoons pubs- me included on occasions. If you wanted to pull anybody you would hard pushed to get anybody under 50! But I keep trying.. ;D (Only kiddin' our lass if you read this!).