PDA

View Full Version : What is your minimum expectation next season?

CaspertheClaret
04-04-2018, 08:03 PM
Not Sean's or the teams but yours

We are in that dangerous phase now as fans aren't we.

Before early Dec and between Jan- early March we would have all have been delighted with survival.

However we know that SD has weaved miracles and everything about our club is pretty much fantastic.
All areas seem to be working in cohesion and purring along tracks through countryside that none of us could imagine.
Now though is that time when we as fans (and many of us even me at 55) can never remember better more consistent times.

The finances are now assured and so far in the black that really we should be solvent for many years to come.
The manager and the board has put in place a dynasty and infrastructure that should make us secure in a way that many of us have never witnessed.

We are the envy of teams all over the planet.

BUT - what do we want as fans - what do you want us to do in every aspect of a multi million pound business

This is where expectation could become a burden.

It is difficult to balance reality versus wishes
This is where I struggle to find a map in uncharted territory.

alfinyalcabo
04-04-2018, 08:14 PM
Same as this season for me Casper ,anywhere in the top seven****,just keep on grabbing the dosh while we can..Guees I'm easily pleased ..

afloatinclaret
04-04-2018, 08:39 PM
Same as this season...anywhere in the top seven****...I'm easily pleased ..

Works for me too, though my new concern for this season is that we now qualify for the Europa League (are we allowed to decline to enter?) in that I suspect it'd cost us a lot more to enlarge/strengthen the squad to compete in it than we'd earn from it and most likely those additional matches would undermine our Premiership performance.

I'm not too fussed how we do in the short/medium term, perhaps 'Burnley back in Europe' would be good for a laugh and whilst the Premiership's nice, let's not blow that bank balance in trying to challenge the big-six clubs. Long term I'd be happy enough with a solvent and locally-owned Burnley playing high in the Championship and making the odd foray back into the EPL and the current financial position, wisely managed/spent can already guarantee that for years to come.

1959_60
04-04-2018, 09:50 PM
That's the great thing about footy. It always surprises you.

I am just happy that we are in really good hands. But, as the great man says, "there are no guarantees"

We could reach the top six and win the FA Cup or, just as likely, we could be relegated. And I would not moan.

To answer your question I will quote the great man again, "Minimum expectation is maximum effort" and if, as I am sure we will, get that then none of us should complain - whatever the outcome.

Norder
04-04-2018, 11:53 PM

I'd expect big changes in the coming season - the PL is in a mess....fans at their wits end - level of play is mostly well below standard.......as the priority of players/management is to rake in the cash - content in a premier rut.
So the pattern has to change - that being so - I can't see how we'll get the easy ride of this season - next....so we keep building - and stay one step ahead of the rest....even if that doesn't bust open the door to that top level - it'll keep us tight on it - otherwise, it's out with the rest - and back to muddling along with everything crossed.

;D

The Bedlington Terrier
05-04-2018, 06:44 AM
We are pretty much going to go into next season with the same core of players. Arfield and Marney will almost certainly leave. Mee leaving would definitely not help and I hope we can secure a solid extension to his contract.

Other than that, Walters and Wells kook peripheral and surplus to requirements and I like the idea of acquiring Dawson and Rodriguez.
I'm 100% certain SD will be looking to add and subtract for the benefit of the squad, but still keep the Dry Powder Room fully stocked.

Europe qualification or not, I expect nothing less than a top ten finish and pressing to be 6/7th again. I would love it if we could get the likes of O'Neill and Dunne into the first team squad but I see no reason to be anything other than optimistic for another outstanding season in 2018/19.

blueheeler1
08-04-2018, 12:05 PM
My minimum expectations would be a competitive team that gives all and never gives up.

If you like, a continuation of this year.

To be competitive and remain competitive always means change, both in tactics and squad.

As a minimum we need to bring in new players who are known to be equal to or better than those who will leave.

I dont want us to take a punt on potentially good players-- exclusively

22M in the black isn't a fortune in the bank so as usual we will need to sell good players to raise the money we need; some of these players we would probably like to have kept.

But we should use all the money we receive on transfers out in buying new players. Don't just bank the money.

As for the rest, I would like to see, as a minimum, continued Prem status.

afloatinclaret
09-04-2018, 03:09 PM
...22M in the black isn't a fortune in the bank...

But it is £22 million more than most everyone else has!

The Bedlington Terrier
09-04-2018, 07:53 PM
...and even more lucre coming our way!

https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/news/newsid=2493323.html#/

sinkov
09-04-2018, 08:51 PM
My minimum expectation is that the board do absolutely everything in their power to keep Sean Dyche happy in his work, and content to remain manager of Burnley FC. Achieve that and everything else will fall into place.

oldcolner
09-04-2018, 09:31 PM
But it is £22 million more than most everyone else has!
Leicester made a profit of £95m from their PL and CL efforts. They are investing in a training ground.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/business/leicester-city-reveal-record-925m-1289834

The Bedlington Terrier
10-04-2018, 06:37 AM
We've already been there and done that!

oldcolner
10-04-2018, 07:12 AM
Yes but theirs is an £80m investment! Must have gold plated taps! They lost £23m the year before and won’t get the £70m CL money this year.
We will have an extra £20m place money this year to help give us a good chance of a top 10 slot and another chance of Europe. I’m hoping we can catch Arsenal and or Chelsea to get a group stage entrance to the Europa League or maybe a CL place.